Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think all of us film nerds talking in 2019 on a bulletin board named after a fairly obscure 80s Italian love-letter to cinema tend to forget how little the general public actually engages with anything but the most popular of media. Like, it's easy to default to Friends and The Office if you have no interest in exploring anything more nuanced than background TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

For those that signed up for the 3 year Disney+ sub, how long did the offer take to show up after signing up for the d23 club?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Enos Cabell posted:

For those that signed up for the 3 year Disney+ sub, how long did the offer take to show up after signing up for the d23 club?

It was about 3 hours for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I think all of us film nerds talking in 2019 on a bulletin board named after a fairly obscure 80s Italian love-letter to cinema tend to forget how little the general public actually engages with anything but the most popular of media. Like, it's easy to default to Friends and The Office if you have no interest in exploring anything more nuanced than background TV.

My friends force me to watch Letterkenny, I force them to watch Fellini's Nights of Cabiria. That's called being a good friend.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

feedmyleg posted:

There's also the fact that people like to "hang out" with familiar characters and settings even if the comedy isn't exactly on the cutting edge, and even people as *sophisticated* as we are sometimes just want comfort TV that goes down smooth. There's nothing wrong with putting on background TV while you get ready for bed or do your homework or whatever. Not everything has to be The Americans all the time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I find it so weird that people watch TV as background noise. I can see the reasoning behind it but it's so off-putting to me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Human Tornada posted:

There's also the fact that people like to "hang out" with familiar characters and settings even if the comedy isn't exactly on the cutting edge, and even people as *sophisticated* as we are sometimes just want comfort TV that goes down smooth.

I dunno about background noise or w/e but having this kind of a parasocial relationship with made up people as an adult seems weird to me

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

DeimosRising posted:

I dunno about background noise or w/e but having this kind of a parasocial relationship with made up people as an adult seems weird to me

Which is why I put "hang out" in quotes, it's not like people think they're actual friends with Jim and Pam. Movies are described as "hangout movies" all the time and it's not weird, nor is it weird when books "transport" you to another world. Those Lord of the Rings movies are mad boring but I would imagine that a lot of the appeal of them is "visiting" Middle Earth for nine-plus hours.

Just because The Office or Friends have mass appeal and offer simple pleasures doesn't mean the people who like them are childish or delusional.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Human Tornada posted:

Which is why I put "hang out" in quotes, it's not like people think they're actual friends with Jim and Pam. Movies are described as "hangout movies" all the time and it's not weird, nor is it weird when books "transport" you to another world. Those Lord of the Rings movies are mad boring but I would imagine that a lot of the appeal of them is "visiting" Middle Earth for nine-plus hours.

Just because The Office or Friends have mass appeal and offer simple pleasures doesn't mean the people who like them are childish or delusional.

I mean, I think those shows suck but sure. That said, lots of people DO think they have real relationships with characters and there’s a whole body of research on parasocial breakups

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it so weird that people watch TV as background noise. I can see the reasoning behind it but it's so off-putting to me.

Seems pretty straightforward, they don't want to be alone with only their thoughts.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

sponges posted:

Friends is pretty homophobic by today’s standards. I’m surprised people even bother with it. It’s a relic.

You're actually right. I remember loving the show when it was first on, and it was super progressive for the 90s. I remember the lesbian wedding episode was banned from stations all across the country. And I gladly watched it in reruns for years.

But a few years ago I was watching it on reruns (before it showed up on Netflix) and I noticed that it had a ton of gay jokes that really weren't holding up. So I thought i would do a fun experiment, and I wanted to start a blog that documented every gay joke on Friends.

As it turned out, I burned out very quickly. It's much more than just a couple times of Chandler being worried that people think he's gay. Pretty much every single episode has at least a couple of line where the punchline is just, "gay! hahahaha!"

Very few of them are truly bad, like I said, they were progressive for the time. They just don't hold up well 20 years later.

At least until they introduce Chandler's dad, at which point the jokes are indeed straight up transphobic.

Really, Friends was always a show that relied more on the chemistry of the cast than on the sharpness of the jokes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I remember watching Chasing Amy for the first time a few months ago and was shocked that it was once seen as cutting edge progressive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I remember watching Chasing Amy for the first time a few months ago and was shocked that it was once seen as cutting edge progressive.

Americans like to pat themselves on the back for leading the way in stuff like race relations and the like, but it literally wasn't until 1996 that a very slim majority of Americans supported interracial marriage, for example, despite Loving v. Virginia being decided in 1967. Roughly 20 percent of Americans still believe that miscegenation is morally wrong.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Nihonniboku posted:

You're actually right. I remember loving the show when it was first on, and it was super progressive for the 90s. I remember the lesbian wedding episode was banned from stations all across the country. And I gladly watched it in reruns for years.

But a few years ago I was watching it on reruns (before it showed up on Netflix) and I noticed that it had a ton of gay jokes that really weren't holding up. So I thought i would do a fun experiment, and I wanted to start a blog that documented every gay joke on Friends.

As it turned out, I burned out very quickly. It's much more than just a couple times of Chandler being worried that people think he's gay. Pretty much every single episode has at least a couple of line where the punchline is just, "gay! hahahaha!"

Very few of them are truly bad, like I said, they were progressive for the time. They just don't hold up well 20 years later.

At least until they introduce Chandler's dad, at which point the jokes are indeed straight up transphobic.

Really, Friends was always a show that relied more on the chemistry of the cast than on the sharpness of the jokes.

i imagine a lot of the material was progressive views being introduced to a broadly hostile society and the humor, even if base, reflects americas discomfort and hostility toward LGTBQ issues. will and grace was probably the same way.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ammanas posted:

i imagine a lot of the material was progressive views being introduced to a broadly hostile society and the humor, even if base, reflects americas discomfort and hostility toward LGTBQ issues. will and grace was probably the same way.

You're right, the older Will & Grace is much the same way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Timby posted:

Americans like to pat themselves on the back for leading the way in stuff like race relations and the like, but it literally wasn't until 1996 that a very slim majority of Americans supported interracial marriage, for example, despite Loving v. Virginia being decided in 1967. Roughly 20 percent of Americans still believe that miscegenation is morally wrong.

It's crazy to think that when I was born the majority of people disapproved interracial marriage.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

I'm on season 5 out of 6 of In The Heat of the Night. The show started in 1988, and there were plenty of times where I thought "that poo poo was still going on right before I was born!?" And then there's things where I think "well that hasn't changed at all." Usually followed with "that's only gotten worse since Trump." :smith:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Watched Dave Chappelle's new special.

I agree with veni veni veni. A lot of the stuff was funny, including some of the more edgy jokes. I really enjoyed the jokes about Michael Jackson (which is odd since that seems to be getting to most traction of controversy?). However I rolled my eyes at many of the LGBTQ jokes. Most notably the I can't say "fag" but I can say "friend of the family" joke with the burn punchline. I will admit I laughed at most of the LGBT car joke.

I did like how Dave pointed out that the only difference between poor whites and blacks is that poor whites feel that it shouldn't be happening to them.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I think he gets some leeway because no matter how bad his material is, his delivery is excellent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Isn’t that a good thing? The moment people start forgetting or stop appreciating how far things have come is the moment backsliding becomes a danger. Just look at where we are now with race relations after 11 years of Fox News declaring that racism ended when Obama was elected.

Or the resurgence of hate groups after so many years of groups like the KKK being treated like a punchline and clowns ignoring just how insidious and dangerous they were for so long.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

sponges posted:

I think he gets some leeway because no matter how bad his material is, his delivery is excellent.

Absolutely. There were a few times I laughed, paused, then thought about the lovely implications of a joke.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn’t that a good thing? The moment people start forgetting or stop appreciating how far things have come is the moment backsliding becomes a danger. Just look at where we are now with race relations after 11 years of Fox News declaring that racism ended when Obama was elected.

Don't forget the Supreme Court saying that racism was over in the Shelby County decision that gutted the VRA.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

To be fair there are people who still insist that racism is over. I admit that it is good that things are progressing

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Or the resurgence of hate groups after so many years of groups like the KKK being treated like a punchline and clowns ignoring just how insidious and dangerous they were for so long.

Is this a dig at Django Unchained?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair there are people who still insist that racism is over. I admit that it is good that things are progressing

Is this a dig at Django Unchained?

There are plenty of digs at the KKK way outside of Tarantino. The Blues Brothers treated them like a joke and that was like around forty years ago.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I don't see what's wrong with making fun of white supremacists.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Jose Oquendo posted:

I should have specified, a cheap plan to watch network TV stuff. I had a discounted DTV Now plan and I canceled it a few months ago because I barely used it. Of course everyone's needs are different but PS Vue isn't for me.

If you get good tv reception you could get a OTA TiVo and just record the shows you want to watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mikemil828 posted:

If you get good tv reception you could get a OTA TiVo and just record the shows you want to watch.

Sadly I live in the bottom of a mountainous region so I'm hosed every which way.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't see what's wrong with making fun of white supremacists.

:feelsgood:

But I guess making white supremacists/KKK and Nazis, things that still exist, into impotent comic figures while they're still killing people and burning synagogues is maybe not that great of an idea.

e: although that clip of the guy torching himself with the backdraft while attempting to burn that synagogue is acceptable for a laugh because he did it to himself. Shame about him not dying or being cripplingly burnt

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well this was a timely article to show up today:

https://news.avclub.com/read-this-a-blistering-argument-for-friends-awfulness-1837745982

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one ever went broke selling ads on pages where very popular things are declared to actually be bad.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously. An editor went out into a newsroom and said, "give me your hottest take" and some guy stood up and said that the show that's been off the air for a decade and a half is actually bad

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alec Eiffel posted:

Seriously. An editor went out into a newsroom and said, "give me your hottest take" and some guy stood up and said that the show that's been off the air for a decade and a half is actually bad

Enh, along with The Office, Friends has gotten a huge resurgence in popularity thanks to Netflix. A whole new generation of people are getting into the show who were barely toddlers when the show went off the air. When it was announced that Friends would be leaving Netflix for Warner Bro's new streaming service, people flipped out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Enh, along with The Office, Friends has gotten a huge resurgence in popularity thanks to Netflix. A whole new generation of people are getting into the show who were barely toddlers when the show went off the air. When it was announced that Friends would be leaving Netflix for Warner Bro's new streaming service, people flipped out.

Yeah, all my 20-something students are obsessed with The Office and Friends.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get it. I am a substitute teacher and work at a video store. Kids have Friends shirts galore. And people bought up all of our The Office seasons in fear of The Great Purge. That doesn't mean that that dumbass article wasn't meant to be anything other than spicy hot clickbait.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

I am a substitute teacher and work at a video store.
Are you sure Friends isn't still airing in your universe?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I liked the Office but I have the same problem with it that I did with Office Space. I worked at Best Buy at the time and everyone was like "Oh I relate to this so much!". No you don't. Retail life is a different thing than office life. Both are layers of Hell, but different layers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Office Space has held up a lot better for me than The Office. maybe that's not fair because it's a 2 hour movie and not like, 8 season of TV but I really just find the Office lame and annoying when I try to watch it now. There's like 10 bad jokes for every good one and the sheer amount of them is exhausting.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

People relate to Office Space because it's a portrayal of how most people feel about their day jobs. Wasting HUGE chunks of your life doing pointless mundane tasks with no reward just to survive. Why not just say "gently caress it!" and not worry about everything? The end of the movie is also has a pretty good message because while you likely dislike your job...almost everybody else feels the same way about theirs. Unless we live in a Yangist utopia, if you want to live you have to work. While there is no perfect job out there, it is best to find a job that you can at least tolerate and make the best of.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm about to binge Carnival Row. I hear it's not that great though. We'll see how far I can muster. Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A new season of Great British Bake-off/Great British Baking Show is up on Netflix :neckbeard:

E: new episodes weekly?! Goddamn it.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 31, 2019