Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

I had that one but got it too late to get the metal slipcover. My friend got the Extreme Edition that had a god drat 1080p copy of the movie on the second disc. This is 2003.

I feel like Army of Darkness is probably the only DVD that had more editions than Terminator 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like Army of Darkness is probably the only DVD that had more editions than Terminator 2.

Night of the Living Dead has to be up there.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

TheScott2K posted:

I had that one but got it too late to get the metal slipcover. My friend got the Extreme Edition that had a god drat 1080p copy of the movie on the second disc. This is 2003.

It only played in Windows Media Player 9, required a pretty beefy computer for the time, and the servers for the DRM check went down a few years after it was released. Good poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

Night of the Living Dead has to be up there.

You're probably not wrong, but I feel like that is a special case, since that's probably the most famous, influential, and prominent movie in the public domain.

I just recently got the Criterion Blu-Ray, but I'm also conflicted since my old DVD was some $10 grindhouse special which feels like it's the correct way to watch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

You're probably not wrong, but I feel like that is a special case, since that's probably the most famous, influential, and prominent movie in the public domain.

I just recently got the Criterion Blu-Ray, but I'm also conflicted since my old DVD was some $10 grindhouse special which feels like it's the correct way to watch.

That Criterion transfer is really a thing of beauty though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TheScott2K posted:

I have that too but I don’t think I ever tried watching the hi-res version on a machine capable of properly playing it. I wonder how it compares to the mediocre Blu-Ray...

Edit:

Monday_ posted:

It only played in Windows Media Player 9, required a pretty beefy computer for the time, and the servers for the DRM check went down a few years after it was released. Good poo poo.
gently caress

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

That Criterion transfer is really a thing of beauty though.

I know, I will watch it, I just watch NOTLD in October

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remember Max Keeble's Big Move? You probably don't because it was not very interesting kiddie fare from the early 2000s. There were hours of stuff on the special features disc.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I got the thing br release from like 2008ish I wanna say. It looks fine but I'm wondering if it'd be worth upgrading to the shout re-release/steelbook?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Casimir Radon posted:

Remember Max Keeble's Big Move? You probably don't because it was not very interesting kiddie fare from the early 2000s. There were hours of stuff on the special features disc.

The only thing I remember about it is it had an unusually long theater to video turnaround. Oct 01 - June 02. Yet again I guess most releases had 6-10 month turnarounds back then. I remember seeing Christmas movies one holiday and then it comes out on tape next holiday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

The only thing I remember about it is it had an unusually long theater to video turnaround. Oct 01 - June 02. Yet again I guess most releases had 6-10 month turnarounds back then. I remember seeing Christmas movies one holiday and then it comes out on tape next holiday.

They sometimes still have a Christmas to Christmas turnaround for some Christmas movies these days, probably because Christmas movies are really lovely and no one wants to buy a Christmas movie in April.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Iron Crowned posted:

They sometimes still have a Christmas to Christmas turnaround for some Christmas movies these days, probably because Christmas movies are really lovely and no one wants to buy a Christmas movie in April.

I remember the weird Affleck failure Surviving Christmas coming out in the fall then hitting video like six weeks later

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I remember the weird Affleck failure Surviving Christmas coming out in the fall then hitting video like six weeks later

I unironically love this movie. Legitimately funny script written by the folks who wrote Can't Hardly Wait & Josie and the Pussycats, killer supporting cast, and the whole story is all about everyone desperately wanting to beat Ben Affleck's character to death.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Christmas movies worth owning:
Rare Exports
Krampus
A Muppet Christmas Carol - On VHS because Katzenberg is a douche and Disney still hasn't fixed it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Casimir Radon posted:

Rare Exports
Krampus
A Muppet Christmas Carol - On VHS because Katzenberg is a douche and Disney still hasn't fixed it.

Christmas Evil you uncultured gently caress

E: you prole

E2: you rube

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Casimir Radon posted:

Rare Exports
Krampus

This list does not include Black Christmas, Christmas Evil, or Scrooged.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
SWINE

E: watch Christmas Evil asap please

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gremlins?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The most realistic depiction of Christmas on film is A Lion in Winter where it’s two and a half hours of vicious bickering but there’s also a Christmas tree in the background.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

Rare Exports
Krampus
Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 :colbert:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Die Hard

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Monday_ posted:

Die Hard

If we're going with movies that aren't specifically Christmas films but take place around the holiday then Batman Returns and Brazil belong on the list.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Die Hard is the only one brought up that isn't at least horror adjacent.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The one subtle touch to be had in Showgirls is how it starts in the Halloween season and ends during Christmas.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Casimir Radon posted:

Die Hard is the only one brought up that isn't at least horror adjacent.

Christmas Evil is a psychological thriller

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jingle All the Way.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't know why, but it took me 25 years to finally watch Ed Wood. Highly recommend the commentary track on that disc btw.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Muppet Family Christmas, but taped from TV in the 80s so the Muppet Babies section is intact

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Rageaholic posted:

Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 :colbert:

Isn’t that set around the annual tradition of Garbage Day?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

That's horror adjacent.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vagabundo posted:

Isn’t that set around the annual tradition of Garbage Day?
I thought that's what Christmas was! :haw:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I dunno how, but "garbage day" became a regular replacement for "well that's lovely" for my group of friends.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

It's a horror movie.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I dunno how, but "garbage day" became a regular replacement for "well that's lovely" for my group of friends.

Because your friends are cool and fun.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've run out of space for my DVDs and Blus. I'm now on a 1 in, 1 out policy. Such is wife.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
More people need to see Tokyo Godfathers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

I've run out of space for my DVDs and Blus. I'm now on a 1 in, 1 out policy. Such is wife.

Have you considered being alone forever? I'm doing that and it's working great.

It is not working great.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Alec Eiffel posted:

What about a cd binder and getting rid of the cases???

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Oh wow, that's not a movie that I've thought of in like 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Because your friends are cool and fun.

Oh lord no.