Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

It's a blessed day brethren.

Today at the co' I had my toddler who while we were shopping asked for potty. He successfully navigated the giant urinal. Rewards were in order. "Treat?," I asked. "Hot dog!" I asked-- "are you sure, you usually get ice cream." "Hot dog!" He even ordered it from the clerk and tapped the credit card.

He ate the whole hot dog, chased it with a mango Popsicle sample, and fell asleep on the ride home underneath the Sherpa. PBUC!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Costco: It's a lot of meat to take, if you aren't prepared

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Ahh poo poo I just remembered sherpa season is right around the corner :buddy:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RJWaters2 posted:

Ahh poo poo I just remembered sherpa season is right around the corner :buddy:

i need to get a new one. my last one got too pilly after washing it, so i gave it to my dog to put on his bed and he loved it but then it got too bad so we threw it out. its good they're also cheap as hell

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

canyoneer posted:

It's very frowned upon and a fire-able offense for employees to look up membership information just to snoop around.
I know an employee who looked up Britney Spears' ex husband's membership and saw that he scammed a return for a Roomba. He bought a new one, and then came back 20 minutes later and returned it. The return box had a dusty old used (and broken) Roomba in it.

Same employee told me that she saw people return weird stuff, like half a bag of rotten onions because they didn't use them up fast enough.

I remember hearing how when that story about that banned Costco member came out (who was totally blindsided and it was totally unfair), someone on another site looked up her return history and was like "yeah, she absolutely 100% deserved to get banned and probably should have been long ago."

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Made my third visit in six days tonight. This time we stopped and ate after shopping. Got a 1/4 pound plus hot dog with a 20 oz. soda (with refill), a chicken bake, and a slice of pepperoni pizza. $7.01 and we couldn't finish it all.

The chicken bake reminded us of Papa Murphy's garlic chicken ranch stuffed pizza (in a good way) and all the PMs around us have closed within the last couple years, so that was a nice surprise.

The hot dog was goddamn good - much bigger and better than the Chicago dog I paid $3.50 for at a local gyros joint last Thursday.

Dogs4Lyfe!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Quick tip that if you're ever in Mexico, the Costcos there have greatly reduced tequila prices.

So far I've been to two: a couple of years ago I went to the Cabo costco, and this week I went to the Puerto Vallarta Costco.

Weirdly, the Cabo costco had a much better tequila selection and way lower prices compared to PV. I grabbed a bottle of Don Julio 1942 in Cabo for about 50 bucks. It's about $110-120 in USA costco.

This week I got a bottle of Cuervo Reserva at PV Costco for $90. That's a harder liquor to find in the US but you can usually get it in a store for more like $150. So a good deal still but nothing like the 1942.

It's possible that Costco has hiked their prices on tequila in the couple of years since I've been to Cabo. They also have a bunch of good/cheap 100% agave tequilas if you just want to bring something back to where you're staying to mix.

Anyways just a tip if you happen to be in the area. I seriously doubt there's a better place to buy tequila in Mexico. Definitely a better deal than duty free, that's for sure.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I've been buying Sauza 100% blue agave from my local supermarket for $15 for a 750ml bottle. Seeing Kirkland's version for $20 for a 1.75l jug made me very pleased (I like margaritas on the weekends).

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

Quick tip that if you're ever in Mexico, the Costcos there have greatly reduced tequila prices.

So far I've been to two: a couple of years ago I went to the Cabo costco, and this week I went to the Puerto Vallarta Costco.

Weirdly, the Cabo costco had a much better tequila selection and way lower prices compared to PV. I grabbed a bottle of Don Julio 1942 in Cabo for about 50 bucks. It's about $110-120 in USA costco.

This week I got a bottle of Cuervo Reserva at PV Costco for $90. That's a harder liquor to find in the US but you can usually get it in a store for more like $150. So a good deal still but nothing like the 1942.

It's possible that Costco has hiked their prices on tequila in the couple of years since I've been to Cabo. They also have a bunch of good/cheap 100% agave tequilas if you just want to bring something back to where you're staying to mix.

Anyways just a tip if you happen to be in the area. I seriously doubt there's a better place to buy tequila in Mexico. Definitely a better deal than duty free, that's for sure.

I mean, it isn't at imported prices in Mexico. But still EL PBUC-O

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

:hai:

That is true about imports but that varies a lot as well.

I didn't find that scotch was much cheaper in Scotland, for example, nor did I find Japanese whiskey to be much cheaper in Japan. I think it depends on the tax differentials and tariffs, among other factors.

THAT BEING SAID I didn't visit the church when in tokyo, which I very much regret. For all I know they had awesome prices.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Original_Z posted:

I remember hearing how when that story about that banned Costco member came out (who was totally blindsided and it was totally unfair), someone on another site looked up her return history and was like "yeah, she absolutely 100% deserved to get banned and probably should have been long ago."

Yeah, she was buying electronics and then returning them when they got outdated then turning right around and using the refunded money to replace them. The person that looked up her history removed the post with all the details.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I often think about the picture of that lady who was returning a loving dead christmas tree. What a shameless oval office.

I'm almost militantly anti-return, but the only time I did return something at Costco (a relatively nice 20oz beer that exploded right on my counter) they gave me the runaround and I had to show them a picture. All I could think was, seriously, you accept broken and substituted electronics all day but won't return my beer?

FCKGW posted:

Costco return policy sucks now? Costco wouldn't accept my return. (self.Costco)

People are the worst.

Not surprisingly he also has another post about being given a 1.5 star review as a RIDER on Uber.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 30, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Original_Z posted:

Costco return policy sucks now? Costco wouldn't accept my return. (self.Costco)
submitted 1 year ago by hearthstocker

I bought a VOIP router that allows free calls to US and Canada about 7 years ago. There was a rumor about the VOIP company going bankrupt at the time of my purchase so I bought it from Costco in case I needed to return it because I've heard people raving about Costco's return policy. I bought it from Costco even though it was more expensive to buy from Costco than online stores because of Costco's return policy.

Well, the router broke after 7 years and I went to my local Costco to return it. The employee at the return counter called store manager to process my return and the manager said she couldn't accept my return because it was too old. I went to another store and the manager at the other location told me the same thing.

so how long is considered to be too old to return a product? I bought many electronics that aren't bounded by the 6 month return policy(computers, etc) from Costco even though they were more expensive because I thought Costco would cover return like this.

Now, I don't see myself buying anything other than groceries at Costco unless there's some crazy sale going on.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was frustrated when I tried to return a led shop light that was half broken out of the box. They couldn't find it on record and I didn't have the receipt. All I wanted was to exchange it for another and he wouldn't let me. I found the receipt and returned it and got a new one, realizing right then that I could have bought a new one, and used that receipt to return the broken one. Dumb on both of our accounts.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

FCKGW posted:

so how long is considered to be too old to return a product? I bought many electronics that aren't bounded by the 6 month return policy(computers, etc) from Costco even though they were more expensive because I thought Costco would cover return like this.

Now, I don't see myself buying anything other than groceries at Costco unless there's some crazy sale going on.

According to their site, electronics are limited to a 90-day return period.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yep. It wasn't that way for years but like all public services, people ruined it by exploiting.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

Yep. It wasn't that way for years but like all public services, people ruined it by exploiting.

it's been 90 days on electronics for at least the last 9 years, but yeah before that there wasn't. makes sense to have it because people are not rational selfless actors ever and you always have to plan for that. electronics are a big ticket item, they're obsolete relatively fast, and of course people are just going to return the 3 year old laptop, roomba, dyson, paper shredder, whatever and get a new one once it gets too dinged up or a new model comes out.

90 days is still extremely loving generous and i cant think of any company that has a return period > 30 days on electronics, some even are 14-days like best buy i think.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

it's been 90 days on electronics for at least the last 9 years, but yeah before that there wasn't. makes sense to have it because people are not rational selfless actors ever and you always have to plan for that. electronics are a big ticket item, they're obsolete relatively fast, and of course people are just going to return the 3 year old laptop, roomba, dyson, paper shredder, whatever and get a new one once it gets too dinged up or a new model comes out.

90 days is still extremely loving generous and i cant think of any company that has a return period > 30 days on electronics, some even are 14-days like best buy i think.

Wow, 9 years? My parents were business card church-goers since I was young (currently 33, been a member myself for 13 years). Guess I'm officially an oldie.

And good point that 90 days is, in fact, a lot.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

Wow, 9 years? My parents were business card church-goers since I was young (currently 33, been a member myself for 13 years). Guess I'm officially an oldie.

And good point that 90 days is, in fact, a lot.
i actually don't know when they changed over, but i want to say it was probably around 2010. e: looked it up, was changed in 2007. longer ago than i thought

but yeah we've been going to price club & costco since at least like 1992--at least that's my first memory i remember of it. i remember they used to have a table of free bagels and pastries, like danishes, with free coffee sitting at the door if you got in the first hour or so of opening. i can't imagine the shitshow it would be if they still did that but it'd be nice.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 30, 2019

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

Marklar posted:

I read that Costco is getting the 6-series of TCL's, i.e. model # 65R613. They've always just carried the 5's. PBUC.

My store got in the 55" version Wednesday and we're due to get in the 65" version as soon as the load arrives.

It's really cool and I'm glad to see them around.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hell yeah!

At the time, the first hour of operation was only for people with the business card, and that's when they had the bagel/muffin table.

It's a bit hazy but I believe that at some point the weekend hours were changed so that everyone could get in at the earlier hour, and they kept the food table. Then not that long after, they removed the whole thing.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

My local church doesn’t sell booze (stupid state monopoly system), but I’m going to be at one in a neighboring state this weekend. What should I be looking for when it comes to alcohol?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If you like vodka I've heard other goons in here say that the Kirkland stuff is basically Grey Goose but a lot cheaper. My friend got two gigantic bottles but I'm not sure what he paid for them.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If you like vodka I've heard other goons in here say that the Kirkland stuff is basically Grey Goose but a lot cheaper. My friend got two gigantic bottles but I'm not sure what he paid for them.

They are $20 each in South Carolina

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really like their spiced rum at $15 for a 1.75

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zombie Dachshund posted:

My local church doesn’t sell booze (stupid state monopoly system), but I’m going to be at one in a neighboring state this weekend. What should I be looking for when it comes to alcohol?
I found this list: https://www.mashed.com/145332/the-best-and-worst-kirkland-liquors-to-buy-at-costco/

I can vouch for the Cognac.

I actually like their gin but I don’t know much about gins so it may very well be a poor value like the article says.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Depends on how much price is an object.

My favorite kirkland bottles are the gin and the whiskey. The tequila can also be good but the sourcing is kind of weird, it's hit or miss. Usually pretty good though.

I personally don't recommend pricier vodka because premium vodka is a complete scam. Just get the $12 handle of kirkland vodka and put it in a higher end bottle, no one will ever know.

More info on vodka being a total loving scam here:
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/01/590022606/is-there-really-a-difference-between-expensive-vodka-and-cheap-vodka

Costco also frequently does "buy 2 bottles and get $10 off" promotions, which can range from good to amazing depending on what's offered.

The real secret of the booze section is finding clearance stuff. Always do a check through for a .97 price tag, you would be surprised, some of the clearance deals are ridiculous.

If you are less concerned with the best deals, I would grab crowd pleasers like Lagavulin 16, Don Julio 1942, Oban 10, maybe a japanese whiskey such as Nikka coffey grain.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 30, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Costco propaganda in popular media:

We have the Workaholics tv show episode ("that thick Kirkland denim"). The episode's conflict centers around the gang wanting to be allowed to use the company's Costco membership to buy snacks for the office.

We have a recurring gag in Baskets, where one of the characters works at Costco (Martha), and Christine Baskets loves Costco and buys everything there.

Here's a good article about why they chose Costco for the show. There's a part of me that wants a Kirkland Signature logo on a shirt.
https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/why-fx-s-bizarre-new-clown-comedy-baskets-obsessed-costco-and-arby-s-169252/

King of California
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388182/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_32
In this film, Michael Douglas' character, recently released from a mental institution, is convinced there is Spanish gold buried underneath his town's Costco and hatches a heist plan to get to it. It's a fun movie.

Any other Costco stuff I missed?

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

If I buy a Kamado Joe during one of the traveling events will they deliver it? I moved about 80 miles from the nearest church and don't want to make the drive if they won't.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Honestly, all the Kirkland booze is very acceptable. I haven't had the "fancier" Kirkland liquors, but the vodka, rum, tequila(blanco) are all great for cocktails or straight/neat/shots. You'll be surprised since most booze that cheap and in that quantity usually burns the whole way in and out.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Costco has some new flavors of their Kirkland protein bars (quest knock offs). The chocolate chip peanut butter one is amazing, and better than the old brownie and cookie dough flavors. I haven't tried the cookies and cream yet.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
The brownie flavor is really good

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

david_a posted:

I found this list: https://www.mashed.com/145332/the-best-and-worst-kirkland-liquors-to-buy-at-costco/

I can vouch for the Cognac.

I actually like their gin but I don’t know much about gins so it may very well be a poor value like the article says.

Glad to see the Irish Cream Liqueur on there. It's cheap as hell, and when mixed with Amaretto goes down so easy.

The añejo tequila is great for just drinking, although it's cheap enough that I'll also use it to mix up in a cocktail too.

I haven't tried the XO, but I usually just buy the Remy VSOP, since it's cheap and makes me happy enough.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Whooping Crabs posted:

Costco has some new flavors of their Kirkland protein bars (quest knock offs). The chocolate chip peanut butter one is amazing, and better than the old brownie and cookie dough flavors. I haven't tried the cookies and cream yet.

good to know. the old cookie dough one was loving vile.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Whooping Crabs posted:

Those flavors have actually been around for a while now. They sold the chocolate peanut butter chunk w/ the cinnamon flavor back in 2018. Cookies and cream was only available online as a standalone 20 pack. I was one of the few people that apparently liked the cinnamon based on what I've seen online. I'm just glad they brought the flavors back in store as I had to buy them online for a while.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just took my sick kid to Costco and had some pizza, then grabbed some grapes, jeans, and jerky.

It was a good day.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Did you make sure he touched everything? That's the midas touch right there. I won't even buy grapes unless sick children have coughed on each one individually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I bought those protein bars once and haaaated them, it was a challenge getting through the box. I really should have returned it after the first one.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

priznat posted:

I bought those protein bars once and haaaated them, it was a challenge getting through the box. I really should have returned it after the first one.

I think that they've gotten better since they first came out, or maybe I've just gotten used to them. The texture can take some getting used to. They are also less than half the price of Quest bars, which are the nearest equivalent. Fitcrunch bars (also sold at costco) are much tastier but have more sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I really didn’t even need a protein bar, it was just for work snacks. I bought it without knowing any better.

My go to work snack is way less healthy now with the peanut butter filled pretzels but they rule :haw: