Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nankeen posted:

i'm that rarest and most magnificent form of meltdowner, the destroyer of works

it's not that exciting watching me furiously delete files while crying. but the ceramics...

take video of yourself destroying the ceramics as an act of creative alchemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

take video of yourself destroying the ceramics as an act of creative alchemy
i was just thinking today i wish i'd filmed the time when four pieces hit the floor, not just for the beauty of the explosions but for the reactions of my classmates / teacher. i hope some of them remember it as quite a powerful moment

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
once someone's massive terracotta piece exploded in the kiln (it was generally accepted that this just happened sometimes, and anyone whose work was destroyed by a kiln explosion got a conceded pass). i had a cup-shaped object that was one of the few that survived, having been shielded by someone else's larger thing, and when i picked it up off the shelf and tipped it upside down a stream of incredibly fine bright red pulverised terracotta dust poured out like blood

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly I'm sad I didn't get any formal art training but also happy because the stuff I hear about some school settings is kind of terrifying, beyond the fact my family is way too poor to have afforded it in the first place. That last statement shouldn't even be a factor but hey that's just how it be in the US I guess.

More work on Jerk the Sherk. I've managed to get the sleeves of his jacket figured out as well as how i'm going to sew his hands onto them. I sadly forgot to bring the rest of my materials today so I didn't get to try and start on his body. overall though the experiments with making his jacket have so far worked out okay, even if I'm using Vinyl instead of leather for it.
The big thing I'll have to do though is make sure I fill these things with stuffing before I do literally anything else, otherwise i may not be able to at all because of how complicated his arms have turned out. I'm also unsure what kind of material I should use for his teeth, as the other stuff I bought for that was far too squishy and took forever to form back to their shape. I'll have more ability to do things as I go along, but at the moment I'm having to keep my pinkie finger on my right hand splinted due to some tendon issue that's cropped up.

Also have a Tobi. he's the pupper that hangs out at the art studio with the owner of the place. best boy!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 15, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

*lefty fist bump* ditto the hosed hand, sucks hard.

I'd go for that foam they sell in sheets for the teeth. This stuff.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
im tired of being dead

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
My good fellow, have you tried a healthy diet, regular exercise and a set sleeping schedule?

or drugs.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ogresque posted:

im tired of being dead

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm selling this new kind of holistic water where all the effect is thought-induced into the water. I shake the bottle vigorously while thinking real hard about benign energies. I then dilute this water one million times, thus increasing its potency.

It cures everything. It will cure your dead. It's 100 bux a bottle.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ogresque posted:

im tired of being dead
have you considered resurrection by erection

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
im currently attempting resurrection via aid from the veterans and developmental disabilities department but its incredibly slow

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ogresque posted:

im currently attempting resurrection via aid from the veterans and developmental disabilities department but its incredibly slow
aw geez good luck with that lol

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’m entering my biannual I Should Try Painting Again mood.

Please send help, tell me all the terrible things about painting.

Like brushes. Brushes are terrible.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I get those too!

gently caress brushes, gently caress cleaning them, gently caress them going out of shape.

gently caress mixing paints, gently caress not making enough, or using waaaay too much expensive paint, and gently caress it drying before I'm done.

gently caress easels, gently caress them coming loose and wobbling around and poo poo, and the painting falling off.

I should try it again soon.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
gently caress looking at an unfinished painting, thinking "I should finish that" every time it catches your eye for weeks on end until you're ready to either finish it or admit defeat.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

lofi posted:

I get those too!

gently caress brushes, gently caress cleaning them, gently caress them going out of shape.

gently caress mixing paints, gently caress not making enough, or using waaaay too much expensive paint, and gently caress it drying before I'm done.

gently caress easels, gently caress them coming loose and wobbling around and poo poo, and the painting falling off.

I should try it again soon.

Sing it brother!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

gently caress looking at an unfinished painting, thinking "I should finish that" every time it catches your eye for weeks on end until you're ready to either finish it or admit defeat.

Amen!

Now where did I pack my paints...

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The Inktober prompt list email arrived! :neckbeard: Then I accidentally deleted it.

Does anyone else have a copy they could send me? [username]@[username].space

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
There are things I want to draw and things I should be drawing. There are too many things I SHOULD be drawing, therefore every time I think about drawing what I wanna drawn, I feel guilty that I'm not drawing from the Should pile.

Then I play video games instead. I'm gonna need to face the Should Pile this week before my friend gets antsy. She probably is already, since I turned down the opportunity to design another batch of keycharms on a two-week notice. During which I'd be kept very up-to-date on the messages the printers send, asking for their designs, stressing me the gently caress out for the entire workweek.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

There are things I want to draw and things I should be drawing. There are too many things I SHOULD be drawing, therefore every time I think about drawing what I wanna drawn, I feel guilty that I'm not drawing from the Should pile.

Then I play video games instead. I'm gonna need to face the Should Pile this week before my friend gets antsy. She probably is already, since I turned down the opportunity to design another batch of keycharms on a two-week notice. During which I'd be kept very up-to-date on the messages the printers send, asking for their designs, stressing me the gently caress out for the entire workweek.

gently caress drawing!

I pulled out the dragon priest mask I carved a couple years back and started improving it. That’s about where my mind is re: drawing

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

dupersaurus posted:

gently caress drawing!

:commissar:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

dupersaurus posted:

gently caress drawing!
there's three NWS art threads right here if you want to post it

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my favourite client has just started using marijuana at the age of 72 and now she has another book for me to illustrate :catdrugs:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
is twine still a thing?

also is anyone else struggling with long-term projects because when you're about 5% of the way through them and starting to engage your brain begins to whisper "we're all hosed, this will solve nothing, you're wasting your time"?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Sharpest Crayon posted:

While I don't really play games as much anymore, I have a really really bad tendency to take commissions because they're a challenge or because they're interesting. I have one big paying commission where i'm doing a maintenance scene and I decided to do synthetic muscle detailing from pealed back skin, and it is driving me bonkers. I can't really back down on it because I CHOSE to do it, but instead of finishing it I took a much simpler commission and finished that one in 3 days because it was fun. meanwhile I'm still dreading the lining and coloring on the other one, or worse, detailing the muscle bands for the OTHER leg.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 28, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

nankeen posted:

also is anyone else struggling with long-term projects because when you're about 5% of the way through them and starting to engage your brain begins to whisper "we're all hosed, this will solve nothing, you're wasting your time"?

It's not just you.

Yeah, future-angst is getting pretty crippling.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3721962&perpage=40&pagenumber=55#post497672655

It feels like everything's hosed in so many ways that everyone trying to help is pulling in different directions so nothing gets done and then you burn out.

lofi fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 29, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

lofi posted:

everyone trying to help is pulling in different directions so nothing gets done and then you burn out
yes this sums up the feeling perfectly. thank you!

naming it is the first step to beating it. even though everything seems hopeless right now, i have to have faith that doing anything, at all, is inherently constructive to the universe, somehow, in a way i can't even begin to understand, and despite every appearance to the contrary. otherwise nothing at all makes sense anymore

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
As a stressy person who got their first panic attack at 11 because we got shown a documentary at school about just how the enviroment was getting hosed, how it being hosed actively made it more difficult to save and easier for it to get even worse and how goddamn doomed we all are because of phosphates in the washing powder - I highly recommend the mental equivalent of pushing your fingers in your ears and going "lal lal lal lal la". I'm not even kidding. Being responsible for the entire environment is too big a burden to bear and it is crushing in weight.

You accept things are hosed and you do what you can, you try to make the right choices when you can, and you decide you're not gonna actively participate in loving things up if you can help it.

I loudly declared to my parents that our washing powder is full of phosphates, we're destroying the water, and that we're getting phosphate-free powder from now on, dusted my hands at the job well done.. and then spent the next 2 years avoiding looking at the trees so I wouldn't see any signs of acid rain or pollution killing them. Denial! It works!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
you are only one single person. literally the only thing you can do while the world is ending is try to affect things at a reasonable level. for me this means helping organize labor/tenant unions through the iww, and helping address food scarcity through food not bombs.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

nankeen posted:

my favourite client has just started using marijuana at the age of 72 and now she has another book for me to illustrate :catdrugs:
update

1) the weed is working
2) the book now features tiger-elephant hybrids, known officially as tiglephants

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
owns

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i am so stoked to draw the tiglephants you have no idea. this is what i was put on earth to do

the story is about a tiger and elephant falling in love. most animal stories for children don't take the metaphor all the way to its bizarre conclusion but my client is a visionary, we are committed, we're doing this thing, as always i am being paid almost nothing but i don't even care

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Ahhh, there really is nothing like working on a passion project.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
she's definitely my charity client :3: and she's one of those people who just has like no concept of money as a thing, so i will never ever tell her that the lump sum she pays me per project comes out to like $2/hour, and neither will any of the other people involved in production and tech support, who are all earning a similar rate lol

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
tiglephants

nankeen fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 1, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
cannot believe i've been given the tiglephant mission on the first day of spring, this is so beautiful

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That confused the hell out of me till I remembered the whole 'equator' thing. :eng99:

Also I might have found my new favourite art-bollocks:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://ediciones-ineditas.com/2018/04/12/about-hating-art/

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ok for real is it just me or does syd mead sound like kind of a pretentious asshat in all his interviews

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
finally after like six years i am in a town with decent life drawing sessions :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
My friend told me there's a movement to not show short-snout dogs because of the health problems, and as it happens, the universe decided to prove her point as I read an article about dogs that had the addendum that the picture of the dog in the article was changed from a pug to another dog because the Finnish Vet Union recommends not showing pics of short-snout dogs.

I am heartbroken. I've always had this same love-hate relationship with pugs, where I love their chonky bodies and goofy faces but recognize that they should not exist as they are. The same with any fat animals, too! They are adorable! But in real life, fat pets are unhappy and unhealthy. So I enjoy drawn pics of both, because that's not hurting anyone. Right?
I'm not so sure anymore. I'd appreciate your thoughts, because I painted The Cutest Pug and now I'm second-guessing if that should exist, either.