Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
No please, don't recap what we just saw, it's so unnecessary for your medium. Please recon-

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

this comic has no dialogue

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

WHO CARES ABOUT DOMINIC DEEGAN, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THAT ARRRRRGHHFBFNGKJ

I mean, I know it will, but Mookie is doing SUCH a bad job setting it up. Ugh.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm holding out for more of the entertaining trainwreck, but right now this is just dull and bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's amazing how loving BAD this all is. Like I'm having a tough time bothering with it for the sake of making fun of it. It's like he regressed in however long it's been since DD finished.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Step 1: turn pants into shirt, walk around pantless.
Step 2: everything else.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm holding out for more of the entertaining trainwreck, but right now this is just dull and bad.

Yeah he bit off way, WAY more than he could chew trying to make a story that relies completely on its visuals to convey the story and keep the readers' interest. His very sparse, basic art style has always depended completely on being accompanied by dialogue.

These recap pages don't even address that. He's just rehashing things we already know and understood! Why does he have these? They add nothing! He might as well have dialogue-filled thought bubbles, this undercuts his choice not to have those.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 30, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I guess without this recap page we wouldn't have known that Snout still wanted to solve the Mystery of Dominic Deegan.

Probably because it makes no sense and isn't connected at all to the more pressing and dramatic mysteries involving a space ship blowing up his house and kidnapping the person he rescued!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Come to think of it, he doesn't even have a reason to connect the pages to the Ink Witch! He never saw that the pages came from her - the first time he saw her was when she staggered up to his house, long after he gathered them up.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TheHan posted:

No please, don't recap what we just saw, it's so unnecessary for your medium. Please recon-

:smith:

*come up with a compelling reason for literally anyone at all to give a poo poo

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So we really going to get an End of Day recap page every single time huh

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mooks did say on his opening post that he'd go back to a page every weekday once his son is back at school, so I'm hoping for a pace change to accompany this because at this point it feels that we are his only readers, he knows this, and is trolling us.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's kind of amazing that we are getting a recap every like 20 pages or so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

YF-23 posted:

It's kind of amazing that we are getting a recap every like 2 pages or so.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Practically every page that isn't Snout's antics is like a mini-recap.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mookie: "No... no I'm being too subtle. I'd better make sure my readers pick up on the clues so they don't feel left behind."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tesseraction posted:

Mooks did say on his opening post that he'd go back to a page every weekday once his son is back at school, so I'm hoping for a pace change to accompany this because at this point it feels that we are his only readers, he knows this, and is trolling us.

...he has children?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tesseraction posted:

You mean he actually spawned?! :stonk:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tesseraction posted:

Mookie: "No... no I'm being too subtle. I'd better make sure my readers pick up on the clues so they don't feel left behind."

In fairness we are talking about people who willingly read Dominic Deegan.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In fairness we are talking about people who willingly read Dominic Deegan.

But... That's just us.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

This one makes me happy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: Oh, I missed a notable one. One of those bonus images (unrelated to this comic) was a character he created who is a necromancer in a graveyard reading a book called "Put the Romance back in Necromancy" with "Talk to Dead Girls" on the back of the book.

Yeah. He created a necrophiliac necromancer OC. According to Mookie, he'll "either go on to defile corpses for horrible undead rituals, or he's going to be a harmless pervert with a ghost fetish ;) "

Not ;) , Mookie. Not ;) at all.

I literally mentioned this in like the second post I made in this thread

Nuns with Guns posted:

The image registry on his website was public for a long time. Like Mors said, he'd keep all sorts of weird stuff like his "Pretty Dead Girl" pinup photos there, and a few test pages for another comic idea about a necromancer with a death fetish and his hot demon girl minion. It was eventually set to private but it was also around the time his server hosting changed, so most likely the new host just defaulted to a private setting and Mookie remained unaware. I haven't checked in a few years (and I'm not going to because blehh) but most of the creepy stuff was also posted to his DeviantArt, so it's not like it was a private shame for him anyway.

Good work being unable to resist touching the poop and coming away with nothing worthwhile though. You could at least commission a Szark headshot to send to Tess to match Tess's framed Dance Commander drawing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't really consider paying $3 touching the poop, it's not like I pinged him on Twitter or something.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

rannum posted:

So we really going to get an End of Day recap page every single time huh

As sure as every friday of the original comic was a cliffhanger that was instantly resolved on monday, We're getting this lovely page of !dialogue to fill us in on things that don't need repeating because everything is super redundant already.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't really consider paying $3 touching the poop, it's not like I pinged him on Twitter or something.

If you're paying him money just to snoop through his stuff for Thread Material, you're touching the poop.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd call that leaning in to get a good whiff of the poop.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Making a poo pie fulla worms and scarfing it down

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

But enough about my posting.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

"I don't know if either of those things were supposed to happen" is kinda blowing my mind.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you're paying him money just to snoop through his stuff for Thread Material, you're touching the poop.

You are weirdly mad about this

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, like, sorry I posted about something you already posted, and also bought Mookie a coffee? I guess? I dunno why it offends you so much.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Who What Now posted:

You are weirdly mad about this

You picked a really mild post to accuse me of being mad about hours after, like the one right above that is way spicer.

But tell me why it's not weird to buy your way into someone's Patreon just to see if there's any funny material to leak to a mock thread?

Like sure, the classic CAD threads would've probably stooped to that but they were also resorting to cheering on WebDog's weird stalking efforts in a desperate bid for laffy material as CAD shifted into banality. That's what got them banned in BSS and a big part of why every other mock thread was banned in BSS while the Deegan thread was allowed to peacefully die after the comic reached its natural end.

E-

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, like, sorry I posted about something you already posted, and also bought Mookie a coffee? I guess? I dunno why it offends you so much.

Read above

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 31, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

But tell me why it's not weird to buy your way into someone's Patreon just to see if there's any funny material to leak to a mock thread?

Like sure, the classic CAD threads would've probably stooped to that but they were also resorting to cheering on WebDog's weird stalking efforts in a desperate bid for laffy material as CAD shifted into banality. That's what got them banned in BSS and a big part of why every other mock thread was banned in BSS while the Deegan thread was allowed to peacefully die after the comic reached its natural end.

These things are absolutely nothing alike. Paying to access Patreon content tiers is in no way stalking.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

These things are absolutely nothing alike. Paying to access Patreon content tiers is in no way stalking.

I didn't say it was. I said it was the kind of thing the CAD threads would stoop to at their lowest, most desperate point when they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for more material to post. Usually they just resorted to stalking because Patreon wasn't a thing yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I didn't say it was. I said it was the kind of thing the CAD threads would stoop to at their lowest, most desperate point when they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for more material to post. Usually they just resorted to stalking because Patreon wasn't a thing yet.
"I didn't say I was accusing you of falling down the slippery slope. Here's what was at the bottom of the slippery slope last time."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok, well, if someone takes it further then we'll have a problem, but I'm not. I don't think paying Mookie $3 to look at his bad art is (much) weirder than participating in a mock thread pulling apart every single panel he draws, which is already admittedly pretty weird.

If someone actually starts harassing Mookie I'll be the first to object. But this is a really, really minor thing to get so aggro about.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PMush Perfect posted:

"I didn't say I was accusing you of falling down the slippery slope. Here's what was at the bottom of the slippery slope last time."

I know 'lol slippery slope' is a serious political own, but this turned into a debate about whether or not I said it was stalking and I said it wasn't. It's a bid for fresh material to point and laugh at rather than letting it come out naturally, and maybe if the comic on its own isn't delivering that's a sign to sit around and wait for a while and boot up Skyrim for the 100000th time, or that the mock thread itself was a bit premature if we're burning through the publicly accessible laughs so fast.

And the only counter I've seen so far to "Why is this not weird?" is that it was only kinda weird because it was just enough to buy a nice coffee at Starbucks.

But since we're still rolling with the "I never" I never said it wasn't a wooo~slippery slope~wooo to stalking him. I do think it is, actually, and I'd like to head that off at the pass. Because something about mock threads causes the irresistible urge for people to secure their heads to their asses and cross the line into deeply personal grudges against creators that are generally, not much more than mediocre idiots, and that drains a lot of the fun out of laughing at badly-drawn comics on the internet.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok, well, if someone takes it further then we'll have a problem, but I'm not. I don't think paying Mookie $3 to look at his bad art is (much) weirder than participating in a mock thread pulling apart every single panel he draws, which is already admittedly pretty weird.

If someone actually starts harassing Mookie I'll be the first to object. But this is a really, really minor thing to get so aggro about.

I do also think nitpicking the art in a DD comic panel-by-panel is pretty dull unless it's a particularly bad page, but I'm not going to scream from the mountaintops at people picking fruits off the ground if they're bored and trying to pass the time.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 31, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know 'lol slippery slope' is a serious political own, but this turned into a debate about whether or not I said it was stalking and I said it wasn't. It's a bid for fresh material to point and laugh at rather than letting it come out naturally, and maybe if the comic on its own isn't delivering that's a sign to sit around and wait for a while and boot up Skyrim for the 100000th time, or that the mock thread itself was a bit premature if we're burning through the publicly accessible laughs so fast.

You brought up the comparison to the CAD stalking, not me.

Nuns with Guns posted:

And the only counter I've seen so far to "Why is this not weird?" is that it was only kinda weird because it was just enough to buy a nice coffee at Starbucks.

I fully admit it's weird, but it's utterly harmless and I gave no indication I was taking it further, and neither is anyone else.

Nuns with Guns posted:

But since we're still rolling with the "I never" I never said it wasn't a wooo~slippery slope~wooo to stalking him. I do think it is, actually, and I'd like to head that off at the pass. Because something about mock threads causes the irresistible urge for people to secure their heads to their asses and cross the line into deeply personal grudges against creators that are generally, not much more than mediocre idiots, and that drains a lot of the fun out of laughing at badly-drawn comics on the internet.

Well consider it headed off. Again, no one gave any indication they were taking it further.

I don't even have a grudge against Mookie - in fact, I didn't say anything, but I thought the comments a few people made about being bewildered he had a son were pretty crass. My sole focus is on the art he creates and how much joy it gives me to mock it.

Anyway I probably helped prolong this so I'll stop posting about it now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You brought up the comparison to the CAD stalking, not me.

I didn't say you did? I'm not getting what we're arguing here.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't even have a grudge against Mookie - in fact, I didn't say anything, but I thought the comments a few people made about being bewildered he had a son were pretty crass. My sole focus is on the art he creates and how much joy it gives me to mock it.

Anyway I probably helped prolong this so I'll stop posting about it now.

The comments about Mookie's son were lovely, too, and prior comments were people were laughing and psychoanalyzing descriptions of Mookie's wedding photos, yeah. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

You picked a really mild post to accuse me of being mad about hours after, like the one right above that is way spicer.

E-

Read above

I think you need to step away from the internet for a little bit, friend