Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know what makes an adaptation go so perpendicular to the source material, but it was one hell of a ride. I guess that kind of militant resistance in a cyberpunk dystopia was real popular those days, but Spiderman already had a cyberpunk dystopia incarnation that was totally unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Was Spiderman: Unlimited any good? I only saw an episode or two before it got cancelled.

Also, Mao Mao is pretty cool. Reminds me a lot of Darkwing Duck, the writing and humor are pretty great, and it's one of the few shows nowadays that has a rock soundtrack!

Weird rear end intro though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I liked it, but I have horrible taste.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm probably the biggest animated Spider-man stan out there, but here's my take
Obviously, Spectacular Spider-man is the best one.

The current cartoon (Marvel's Spider-man) is pretty great. The art style is pretty divisive, but honestly I like it, it's simple and kinda just like Spectacular's with a dollop of anime. Plenty of greatly directed shots, and every now and then some stellar animation. The show's first season is mostly good, there's a nice season-long storyline about Peter and Harry's friendship being tested by Peter's double life and Norman's evil plans. It's a smart way to ground Peter and have his usual double life drama while expanding the scope of the show to Spider-Island and Horizon (high) stuff. There's some hiccups, like Miles gets introduced a bit too early, so there's episodes where they just have to pretend he's not there or give a bad excuse on why he couldn't help in order to get Peter's solo stuff to make sense. Season 2 started far less focused, but it's still fun with some classic Venom stuff, and Peter struggling with his tuition, and therefore doing the classic taking pictures for JJJ bit, but with a bigger focus on how that kinda dynamic is bad for your mental health, and now that we're finally getting the rest of the season, it looks like it's all one storyline about Superior Spider-man.
From what they said yesterday at D23, season 3 is half-length (12 eps instead of 24) further divided into 6 2-episode 'movies'.

Ultimate Spider-man started rough. It was mostly a comedy cartoon with Peter being closer to the guy from ctrl-alt-del but we're told he's smart and he gets to talk to the camera. It was strange, but come season 3, some staff higher up in Marvel Animation changed (most notably, Stephen Wacker starts to work there) and it becomes an actual action cartoon. A sorta ok one at that. Spider-Verse got announced around that time and the show made its own version. Peter gets new allies, and it all ends in a Contest of Champions thing where he saves the universe... and finds out that Aunt May always knew, the end.
Except Spider-man is a popular IP and it got renewed for a fourth season, and this is where the show becomes Actually Pretty Nice. Spider-man's friends get trimmed down to a good ol' Spider-Family (Peter, Flash Venom, Miles [from another universe (he fell on a dimensional hole [later in the season they go back to his universe and his mom goes like "gently caress it, you made friends there, let me pack my poo poo and we'll move to your new universe. i got nothing going on."])], Kaine, and Amadeos Cho as the Iron Spider) Aunt May is a bit more active, another go at Spider-Verse happens and it's way more fun, and the show ends making a point of how much this Spider-man influenced the whole superhero community.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I thought this was an interesting answer, from the creator of Amphibia

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1165724196049059840

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Watched the OK KO Sonic episode and I’m hopping mad Jaleel White wasn’t the voice of Sonic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Applewhite posted:

Watched the OK KO Sonic episode and I’m hopping mad Jaleel White wasn’t the voice of Sonic.

Jaleel White voiced Sonic again in a fan made thing several years ago. He doesn't have it anymore

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Jaleel White voiced Sonic again in a fan made thing several years ago. He doesn't have it anymore

Also he was a teenager himself when he did the original cartoons, he literally can’t do the voice that well anymore.

Out of curiosity though, did Roger Craig Smith (his current actor in the games) voice Sonic in the aforementioned OK KO episode?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity though, did Roger Craig Smith (his current actor in the games) voice Sonic in the aforementioned OK KO episode?

Yes, the current game VAs of Sonic and Tails were in it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like Roger Craig Smith's take on Sonic. I guess part of that is better voice direction, but another is how he strikes a good balance in making Sonic sound like a good guy who can be a bit of a jerk sometimes.

Also hard to believe it took until Sonic Colors for Tails to have a good English VA.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Also hard to believe it took until Sonic Colors for Tails to have a good English VA.

I think all the English Sonics have been decent, they were just saddled with trash dialogue for an unfortunate amount of games/shows. Now the rest of the Sonic cast on the other hand, now those were a dire bunch up until recently.

Well except for Dan Green as Knuckles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I think all the English Sonics have been decent, they were just saddled with trash dialogue for an unfortunate amount of games/shows. Now the rest of the Sonic cast on the other hand, now those were a dire bunch up until recently.

Well except for Dan Green as Knuckles.

Eggman/Robotnik has also always pretty much had decent actors in my opinion (except maybe Gary Chalk in Sonic Underground, he just sounded too much like a generic villain there). Long John Baldry and Mike Pollock were definitely the best of the bunch though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 26, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think probably the thing I was most surprised by was the lack of a pingas reference.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, did Robotnik show up in the OK KO episode as well or was it just Sonic and Tails?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think probably the thing I was most surprised by was the lack of a pingas reference.

They did do a prrrromotion reference though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, did Robotnik show up in the OK KO episode as well or was it just Sonic and Tails?

No, but Boxman mentions going to college with him and he's voiced by Jim Cummings, who did Robotnik back in the 90s on Sonic the Hedgehog, and he does get a "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG" in, so there's that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

To be fair that's the reason Mike Pollock stopped doing the convention circuit IIRC. Someone asked him to do the "Snooping as usual I see" line and he did in his own Robotnik voice, then later found out it was a reference to a lewd meme. He found that distasteful and it put him off interacting with fans.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/nickjr/status/1166002710707093504

This kinda got me

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Joestar family line continues to keep BLUE in check, I see.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

No, but Boxman mentions going to college with him and he's voiced by Jim Cummings, who did Robotnik back in the 90s on Sonic the Hedgehog, and he does get a "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG" in, so there's that.
IIRC the OKKO crew basically admitted that they chose Cummings to do Boxman to get a version of AOSTH Robotnik as voiced by him in the pilot.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 27, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Crossposting myself

but then

:(

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

That’s too bad. He was pretty ok as Urkel in Scooby Doo and Guess Who.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rewatching the OK K.O. Sonic crossover and I noticed they got Tails to do a Canadian 'sorry' right near the end. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My late grandmother used to have a bunch of VHS tapes of old cartoons that we'd watch when we visited, like TMNT and Beanie and Cecil, but I've just been reminded of the most interesting one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jGba6pZ0tY

Captain Zed and the Zee Zone. The idea is that Zed watches over peoples dreams and when the two villains attempt to corrupt them into nightmares, he shows up to stop them and restore the pleasant part of the dream.

It had some interesting concepts, like a child who felt powerless dreaming of being a Julius Caesar type leader, only for the Nightmares to show up and infiltrate his council, turning them against them acting as his Brutus and Cassius
Apparently about half the episodes only exist with almost inaudible audio. It's pretty close to lost, half the episodes are good enough quality, the linked one is one of the well preserved ones, but most of season 2 has the audio problems. All you can hear is White noise drowning everyone out completely.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

My late grandmother used to have a bunch of VHS tapes of old cartoons that we'd watch when we visited, like TMNT and Beanie and Cecil, but I've just been reminded of the most interesting one:

Captain Zed and the Zee Zone. The idea is that Zed watches over peoples dreams and when the two villains attempt to corrupt them into nightmares, he shows up to stop them and restore the pleasant part of the dream.

It had some interesting concepts, like a child who felt powerless dreaming of being a Julius Caesar type leader, only for the Nightmares to show up and infiltrate his council, turning them against them acting as his Brutus and Cassius
Apparently about half the episodes only exist with almost inaudible audio. It's pretty close to lost, half the episodes are good enough quality, the linked one is one of the well preserved ones, but most of season 2 has the audio problems. All you can hear is White noise drowning everyone out completely.

Oh, this is a lost show? Man, I have an old VHS of this from when I was little. I wonder if it could be of any use to the preservation effort?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

BioEnchanted posted:

Never heard of this show but I love how I can tell it was made in the UK based on the artwork alone. There's something about British cartoons. They have a distinctive visual style that separates them from other Western cartoons. I can't quite describe it, but I know it when I see it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I have been trying to find this cartoon for twenty years. I watched it on Italian TV ONCE back when I was nine or ten. The shower-curtain nightmare monsters left a huge impression on me and I never forgot them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'll never look at Beany and Cecil the same after discovering its origins.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Android Blues posted:

Oh, this is a lost show? Man, I have an old VHS of this from when I was little. I wonder if it could be of any use to the preservation effort?

It depends on which episodes. These season 1 episodes are missing their audio: Invasion Dreambase, Growing Pains, Christmas Nightmare, Commander I Shrunk the Dreampatrol and Cries & Dolls

These season 2 episodes are missing their Audio: Look Who's Dreaming, Planet of the Hopeless Liars, A Dark Day’s Night, Send in the Clones, The Curtain Monsters, Lost in the Backpack, Wedding Bells, I Want my Zed TV, Too Bee or not Too Bee, Mind Over Mutter and Loch Ness Nightmare

If it's any of those then that would be great.

I've actually been watching the available episodes on youtube, it's held up fairly well. The situations have a lot of imagination to them and a few of the jokes landed well enough to get a laugh out of me. There's a cute moment where Molly, Captain Zed's mission control sheep, is giving an acceptance speech, and has the amusing line "I would like to thank Shep the sheepdog, without who's guidance I wouldn't be here today!"

Edit: Nasty Norman is an interesting concept - the Nightmares are gathering all the bad dreams to coalecse into a super-monster, so the night has been suspiciously peaceful - Captain Zed is the only one to consider that something may be up, so he got the idea to visit Nasty Norman an edgy-rear end in a top hat child who loves nightmares, because if his dream is pleasant then they know something is up. They end up using him as a compass, as he tries in vain to conjour nightmarish imagery, they follow where it goes so that they can see where it's being pulled to.

One more edit, in the episode with the power-hungry child who's ego is inflated by the nightmares - I never got this joke before: "That's strange, he's reading a fear factor rating of zero, but an embarrassment factor of 10!" "Sounds like he's heading for a political career..."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 28, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Macrame_God posted:

Never heard of this show but I love how I can tell it was made in the UK based on the artwork alone. There's something about British cartoons. They have a distinctive visual style that separates them from other Western cartoons. I can't quite describe it, but I know it when I see it.

Yeah. It was one of the few Scottish Television copros they made for CITV in the 90s. Honestly, “subconscious Dudley do right” is about the most sane of them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've watched all the available episodes now. Something I like is that Captain Zed has an interesting flaw - he is overly dutiful and never stops working. As a result his ship is falling apart because he never takes the time to get it properly maintained due to always being on some mission, and even when he relaxes he does so by playing in really active dreams like videogame dreams, so even then he's refusing to take a break from piloting his ship. He also can be short-sighted due to his pride, not watching his words carefully and sometimes being condescending as a result. He's also a bit of a rules-lawyer, part of the reason he throws himself into his work is that if he stops, he'll have to have meetings with his commander and his behaviour is reckless enough he's always in trouble so he never takes the time to do those meetings as he's avoiding being yelled at. Another example of rules-lawyering is when he's checking out the new model of ship and an emergency call comes in, and he simply prompts his Mission-Control Sheep Molly with "So I'm guessing you'll want me to take the nearest available ship? :smug:" "YES, IT'S AN EMERGENCY!"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Anyone watch the new looney tunes show on Boomerang? Is it good?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Gaunab posted:

It's not really that new (it premiered back in 2015 and has been 100% finished for a while with a completely different series coming soon, though a lot of eps haven't released yet in amercia)

Haven't seen much myself, but from what little I've seen and what I've heard it's hit or miss

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Newgrounds just did a re-animated collab of Courage the Cowardly Dog's "Freaky Fred" and it is absolutely amazing

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/737353

also I finally watched shrek retold and that was good too

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gaunab posted:

The show was originally called Wabbit and was nothing but Bugs Bunny shorts which I found to be pretty bland. In season 2 they expanded it to include the other characters but that usually just meant you got one Bugs and one Daffy short per episode. Daffy's personality is based more on his early cartoons and I like his shorts quite a bit better than the Bugs stuff, but they still have a very mass produced quality to them. Mostly it's just Daffy harassing Porky for the entire short but they occasionally swap Porky out for Elmer, Foghorn Leghorn, or some random character.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The best Looney Tunes show was the 2010 series.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Mr Interweb posted:

The best Looney Tunes show was the 2010 series.

Is that the one where Sylvester and Tweety go around solving mysteries with Granny. Cuz that's what you mean right?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The Looney Tunes sitcom show was so bad. It's only redeeming quality was Kristen Wiig.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Gaunab posted:

The Looney Tunes sitcom show was so bad. It's only redeeming quality was Kristen Wiig.

It did give us Daffy the Wizard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_hcwB8i64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Otoh, it gave us Grilled Cheese by Elmer Fudd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hslqHUqCfPc