Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DancingShade posted:

I won't argue that triple flange tips sound good.

I will argue about the comfort though. Deep insert IEMs are very much a like/loathe thing and I can't stand them.

Double flange can be okay though and the HIFIMAN ones are quite nice.

That’s why I spend like $60 a year on comply tips. I leave my x12s in all night to listen to podcasts/be earplugs, and they don’t irritate my ears after 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, I have comply tips that are 5 years old. Still fine. Weird.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

grack posted:

As long as you don't mind getting your ears violated, sure.

yea that's always the one caveat with Etys, I've never liked putting things in my ears and held off on IEMs for a long time because of it as well. After getting used to them however, I honestly find Etys much more comfortable and secure fitting than any other IEMs I've used; once you're used to them being in there they can basically disappear, especially if you're running the cables over-ear.

Sadly I haven't found anything else that comes close in terms of sound, and think I may prefer my ER4XR to my PM3 and HD600.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

redeyes posted:

Huh, I have comply tips that are 5 years old. Still fine. Weird.

Foam ones?? Do you wear them?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've found the comply tips I've received with IEMs wear out relatively fast but the ones I've bought directly last a lot longer even with daily wear. The pair on my work IEMs have been in use all year and are still in good condition.

Not entirely sure why. Maybe it's a revision thing? I tend to only buy ones with waxguards if that's a factor.

Generally I avoid using them while I'm actively sweating because sweat destroys everything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That’s probably what it is. I’m a hot sleeper.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been buying SoundBot SB220 bluetooth headphones (amazon link) for years, I go through about 1-2 pairs per year and they wear out one way or another because I use them for basically all outdoor activity, going to the gym, etc. despite not really being made for that purpose.

I like them because they're relatively lightweight and have a nice design that sort of hangs on the ear snugly (I don't know what that's called). I don't like earbuds, it hurts to wear them. I don't like over-the-head headphones unless I'm literally sitting on my couch, because they fall off too easily. These fold up but that's not a must-have feature for me. These are cheap (~$20) but I wouldn't mind paying more for a pair that has more durability.

So thread, is there a better set of bluetooth headphones that I won't have to replace yearly? Looking around on Amazon isn't showing revealing much of interest, and I'm not sure what the features I like are even called

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

I've been buying SoundBot SB220 bluetooth headphones (amazon link) for years, I go through about 1-2 pairs per year and they wear out one way or another because I use them for basically all outdoor activity, going to the gym, etc. despite not really being made for that purpose.

I like them because they're relatively lightweight and have a nice design that sort of hangs on the ear snugly (I don't know what that's called). I don't like earbuds, it hurts to wear them. I don't like over-the-head headphones unless I'm literally sitting on my couch, because they fall off too easily. These fold up but that's not a must-have feature for me. These are cheap (~$20) but I wouldn't mind paying more for a pair that has more durability.

So thread, is there a better set of bluetooth headphones that I won't have to replace yearly? Looking around on Amazon isn't showing revealing much of interest, and I'm not sure what the features I like are even called

Workout grade bluetooth headphones suitable for gym use? Yeah http://blueant.com.au/products/headphones/pumpzone/

Will cost more than $20 though. No idea where you are in the world or what supplier you should go through.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

Foam ones?? Do you wear them?

Yeah I use them every 2-3 days for many hours. I don't sleep with my iems though.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm thinking I need I new pair of IEMs.

Budget: $300ish. This is flexible depending
Isolation: Office. No external noise allowed
Source: Magni / Modi stack / or whatever is needed.
Type: IEM
Tonal Preference: Bass heavy, though at this price range I would expect generally good performance
Past / Current Headphones: My MX50's did not hit the mark I was looking on bass. Currently at home I have JBP 305p's paired with a sub. My headphones are Sennheiser HD 650's driven by a Schitt Magni / Modi set. IEMS would likely be driven by the same.
Music: It can be anything. I like bluegrass to heavy bass EDM.

Honestly, at this point my Beats X have been great, but I want something new.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just can't imagine a pair of IEMs requiring external amplification unless you want to go deaf.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I have not either, but frankly I 'm not familiar with what high end IEMs require .

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Tonal Preference: Bass heavy, though at this price range I would expect generally good performance
Past / Current Headphones: My MX50's did not hit the mark I was looking on bass. Currently at home I have JBP 305p's paired with a sub. My headphones are Sennheiser HD 650's driven by a Schitt Magni / Modi set. IEMS would likely be driven by the same.

Ikko OH10. I'm also a bass head. They're exactly what you want. I loving love mine so much it's stupid. They're $189. If you want an amp for them portable I would recommend EarStudio ES100, it's a bluetooth/USB DAC/AMP and sounds loving great. I use it bluetooth on the train and USB at my desk. All in you're looking at $288 if you go that route.

KillHour posted:

I just can't imagine a pair of IEMs requiring external amplification unless you want to go deaf.

You'd be surprised. Some some WILDLY better with more juice. Tin HiFi P1, for example, sounds like poo poo from a phone or so, but great if properly amped.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

SONY XBA-N3AP Stereo In-ear Headphones
https://www.amazon.com/SONY-XBA-N3AP-Stereo-In-ear-Headphones/dp/B01MF4HU0Z/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sony+iem&qid=1566940976&s=gateway&sr=8-3

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

ddogflex posted:

Ikko OH10. I'm also a bass head. They're exactly what you want. I loving love mine so much it's stupid. They're $189. If you want an amp for them portable I would recommend EarStudio ES100, it's a bluetooth/USB DAC/AMP and sounds loving great. I use it bluetooth on the train and USB at my desk. All in you're looking at $288 if you go that route.

You'd be surprised. Some some WILDLY better with more juice. Tin HiFi P1, for example, sounds like poo poo from a phone or so, but great if properly amped.

Thanks, both of you for the recommendations. I''m leaning towards the Ikko OH10, due to the price, but I can persuaded.

Also, RE: the DAC, I'm leaning towards the FioO E10k. I prefer wired and have been using one for years in various roles, but it has been one of the most durable items in my toolbag for years, the most unexpected being my PS4's DAC when playing Horizon Zero Dawn. For some reason Sony opened themselves up to USB Mic / Headphone sets and since they use the same generic driver you can attach most USB DACs.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 28, 2019

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Thanks, both of you for the recommendations. I''m leaning towards the Ikko OH10, due to the price, but I can persuaded.

Also, RE: the DAC, I'm leaning towards the FioO E10k. I prefer wired and have been using one for years in various roles, but it has been one of the most durable items in my toolbag for years, the most unexpected being my PS4's DAC when playing Horizon Zero Dawn. For some reason Sony opened themselves up to USB Mic / Headphone sets and since the use the same generic driver you can attach most USB DACs.

Yeah the EarStudio works in wired or bluetooth. And it will switch between when unplugged/plugged in. I just love the ease of it. It also has balanced output and EQ, which are both nice. I had the Fiio E10K in the past and there's nothing wrong with it, the EarStudio is just a more complete package, better (dual) DACs, etc. You'd be happy with either one I'm sure if you have no use for the Bluetooth though.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

ddogflex posted:

Yeah the EarStudio works in wired or bluetooth. And it will switch between when unplugged/plugged in. I just love the ease of it. It also has balanced output and EQ, which are both nice. I had the Fiio E10K in the past and there's nothing wrong with it, the EarStudio is just a more complete package, better (dual) DACs, etc. You'd be happy with either one I'm sure if you have no use for the Bluetooth though.

How is the lag? Can you watch video with it on a mobile device?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

How is the lag? Can you watch video with it on a mobile device?

Any Bluetooth device will have lag. You can adjust the buffer length in the app for it, I keep it default so it never cuts out, but you can set it REALLY SHORT if you want "lag-free" audio with video. That being said, it's not BAD, I don't notice it, but also don't watch much video on my phone that I would care.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

it’s finally here! the new Hifiman Amanda Bluetooth edition. will pickup soon!

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/ananda-bt.html

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

5-HT posted:

They put all that in for only 60g extra weight? I'm impressed.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

DancingShade posted:

They put all that in for only 60g extra weight? I'm impressed.

Bluetooth, USB-C, a mic addon? this could easily be an amazing gaming headset too. wonder what the dac and amp combo is they're using to power the unit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Any Bluetooth device will have lag. You can adjust the buffer length in the app for it, I keep it default so it never cuts out, but you can set it REALLY SHORT if you want "lag-free" audio with video. That being said, it's not BAD, I don't notice it, but also don't watch much video on my phone that I would care.

Any well made video playback app will compensate for the Bluetooth lag, so it should seem immediate. But games for instance, where your input triggers a sound, will always have lag.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I was a dumb rear end and bruised inside my ear from falling asleep and leaning on a barrel shaped IEM. So now any IEM is uncomfortable. I'm glad we had Koss chat recently, it made me think to get out my Porta Pros.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Are there any standard tricks for getting a good fit when you use replacement pads on headphones? I'd be perfectly happy with my old Pioneer SE-A1000s except for the fact that the Brainwavz XL pads keep slipping off.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Do you all have any good company recommendations for custom IEMs? I've gotten a pair of custom noise protection earbuds that are alright (had to get them remade a few times and they're not perfect, but they'll do) and with the death of my earbuds again, it may be time to put some money into a decent pair.

I don't have any huge requests in the pair but I tend to split my time with headphones listening to music and working with videos so something balanced would probably be good? I'd prefer a smaller price point if possible overall but I'm up for any and all suggestions though so feel free to let me know if I can provide any further information.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baby Proof posted:

Are there any standard tricks for getting a good fit when you use replacement pads on headphones? I'd be perfectly happy with my old Pioneer SE-A1000s except for the fact that the Brainwavz XL pads keep slipping off.

Checking pad diameter is important when buying 3rd party "generic" replacements. I'd take a guess the Brainwavz Round (non-XL) pads might be a better fit for your needs.

On the upside your XL pads fit amazingly well on some other nice headphones so it's not a complete loss.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Wengy posted:

I've fallen into the headphone rabbit hole and am looking at the Audeze LCD-X and the Sony MDR-Z1R, halp. If I already have a fairly decent audio interface with a good DC (Audient id14), what exactly would be the point in shelling out 1.5k for something like the Sony TA-ZH1ES?

Also, a local store is offering a refurbished Sennheiser HD800 that was used as a store demo for 550 bucks, with six months of warranty, is that a good deal? Oh, and they have a refurbished LCD-X for 1.2k.

For just listening to headphones you’ll never need more than a basic transparent DAC, which you can find for around $100; same goes for amps, one of the best measuring amps (JDS Atom) on the market costs a hundred bucks and will cleanly power any headphones on the market.

Expensive DACs and amps are basically woo.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-of-audio-hardware-reviews.8184/

Also the LCD-X Creators edition, which is just the LCD-X without the extra balanced cable and huge carrying case, is $1.2k new on Audeze’s site.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 1, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

if this isn't kosher in this thread I'll edit this out, but I'm selling some HD 650s for $130 in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897136&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post497813399

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Checking pad diameter is important when buying 3rd party "generic" replacements. I'd take a guess the Brainwavz Round (non-XL) pads might be a better fit for your needs.

On the upside your XL pads fit amazingly well on some other nice headphones so it's not a complete loss.

The XLs are close enough that it takes a bit of work to get them back on again so I suspect that the next size down could be too small. It's never a problem when they're on my head, but when I knock a pad at the wrong angle it'll get dislodged.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baby Proof posted:

The XLs are close enough that it takes a bit of work to get them back on again so I suspect that the next size down could be too small. It's never a problem when they're on my head, but when I knock a pad at the wrong angle it'll get dislodged.

If they're falling off with only a bump they're too big. What's the diamater of the cup where the original pads attached?]

Don't worry about stretching them a bit when attaching, quite normal.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I've fallen into the headphone rabbit hole and am looking at the Audeze LCD-X and the Sony MDR-Z1R, halp. If I already have a fairly decent audio interface with a good DC (Audient id14), what exactly would be the point in shelling out 1.5k for something like the Sony TA-ZH1ES?

Also, a local store is offering a refurbished Sennheiser HD800 that was used as a store demo for 550 bucks, with six months of warranty, is that a good deal? Oh, and they have a refurbished LCD-X for 1.2k.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 1, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wengy posted:

Balanced headphone out and a nice amp, but that sony is a horrible deal. It's expensive because they designed it around an FPGA but the THX 798 at massdrop will match or outperform it at $400. Just get that and be done with solid state headphone amplification for the next 20 years.

Also, that's a great deal on HD800s but they're very divisive headphones. Try before you buy, preferably on a bunch of different amps.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Balanced headphone out and a nice amp, but that sony is a horrible deal. It's expensive because they designed it around an FPGA but the THX 798 at massdrop will match or outperform it at $400. Just get that and be done with solid state headphone amplification for the next 20 years.

Also, that's a great deal on HD800s but they're very divisive headphones. Try before you buy, preferably on a bunch of different amps.

Thanks, will do! :)

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

DancingShade posted:

If they're falling off with only a bump they're too big. What's the diamater of the cup where the original pads attached?

113mm circular, they are pretty big.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Baby Proof posted:

113mm circular, they are pretty big.

Should be a good fit in theory.

Well if all else fails there's always you know where https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32854707080.html

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

5-HT posted:

Awesome, report back. I initially thought the idea was without an audience but I see it now as no real downside versus a passive version as it still has 3.5 for desktop audiophilia, plus extra utility for gaming/dancing around the house/bed use. Kinda like how I use my ES100 to listen around the house to my HE6se at reasonable volumes without being tethered to a bigass amp.

Assert dominance and take them on a public commute

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Awesome, report back. I initially thought the idea was without an audience but I see it now as no real downside versus a passive version as it still has 3.5 for desktop audiophilia, plus extra utility for gaming/dancing around the house/bed use. Kinda like how I use my ES100 to listen around the house to my HE6se at reasonable volumes without being tethered to a bigass amp.

Assert dominance and take them on a public commute

it’s definitely going to be an around the house headphone, or in my office when nobody is around. bluetooth without dealing with an external device to handle it sounds super handy for my life currently.

don’t need noise canceling unless I’m on a flight, and I feel almost claustrophobic when I’m dealing with a closed set nowadays.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Suggestions for wireless gaming headphones I can use with my laptop on the road? Some of them have some unwieldy base stations/dongles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Over ear, on ear or in ear?

I have a pair of jaybirds that I like except that the tips like to come off. Pretty much everyone in the business travel thread swears by the Bose quiet comfort series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

space marine todd posted:

Suggestions for wireless gaming headphones I can use with my laptop on the road? Some of them have some unwieldy base stations/dongles.

I just got the Arctis 3 bluetooth and I love em. I didn't charge them out of box, and have used them wirelessly for quite a while. I just enabled Window Sonic (the difference in the 2019 version) last night and it sounded amazing. I would like a little more punch in bass, but at the price I'm very happy.