Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

midge posted:

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention, one of my pleasures - no guilt required.

Shadow Warriors II: Hunt for the Death Merchant.

I'll stop you there, no, I don't believe you need to see the first one to enjoy this fantastic flick. A 90's b-list cast of Hulk Hogan (29 kills), Shannon Tweed, Carl Weathers, Martin Kove (Cobra Kai leader) come together as squad of mercenaries. They attempt a rescue of kidnapped child from an evil European dude, who happens to be the kids father. When the mother can't pay....THEY DO IT FOR FREE! That's the first 30-45 mins of the movie and it has literally nothing to do with what follows.

Flashbacks, PTSD, a madman (also European) hellbent on revenge by-way of chemical warfare, Hogan DUAL WIELDING MACHINE GUNS and mowing down fools, Flyboy action from Kove. It's perfectly straddles that awful-great line so many of us here look for. loving awful acting - just fantastic.

There is a false positive on YouTube, this is NOT the sequel. [Edit - THAT THUMBNAIL!]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqTmDrn19Nk

I started watching this and a bad guy (Billy Drago in full on creepo mode) tells Shannon Tweed (sporting a ridiculous Russian accent) "This cocaine is like you.....the best." Then he's convinced to cover the cost of her shipment by the promise of seeing her tits, which he could have seen for free if he just watched Showtime After Dark. This unironically rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I started watching this and a bad guy (Billy Drago in full on creepo mode) tells Shannon Tweed (sporting a ridiculous Russian accent) "This cocaine is like you.....the best." Then he's convinced to cover the cost of her shipment by the promise of seeing her tits, which he could have seen for free if he just watched Showtime After Dark. This unironically rules.

There's a front page SA article from many years ago about the many movies where Billy Drago kidnaps women and takes them to an island.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh shiiiiiiiit

https://twitter.com/wesleysnipes/status/1163171178883633152

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ohhhhhh sheeeeeyyyeeeeeett. Wesley think of your future man, Disney owns all now...on the one hand yes for drama on the other hand maybe try for a role or something other than Blade. I’m sure *looks down list* uh Maggott the XMan is available. His superpowers are two giant maggots that can eat anything but are actually Maggott’s intestines.

I think Wesley may make an interesting Mr. Sinister tho.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 19, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sure if he could go a week without running his mouth or getting jailed he woulda had a kickass cameo in Disney's G-rated Blade.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cast him as Whistler.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More of like a thriller than an action movie, but Destroyer starring loving Nicole Kidman of all people, and directed by Karyn Kusama, who directed Aeon Flux, is a really solid flick. A great female-led take on the Max Payne sort of burnout fuckup undercover cop at the end of their rope. There's a really good bank robbery shootout in there, it just takes a while to get up to that point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Taintrunner posted:

More of like a thriller than an action movie, but Destroyer starring loving Nicole Kidman of all people, and directed by Karyn Kusama, who directed Aeon Flux, is a really solid flick. A great female-led take on the Max Payne sort of burnout fuckup undercover cop at the end of their rope. There's a really good bank robbery shootout in there, it just takes a while to get up to that point.

Since I'm apparently the only other person who bothered to see this movie: did you notice that Modern Day Nicole Kidman was styled and done up to look exactly like Tom Cruise? Or was that just me?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like an older Tom Cruise in a midlife crisis after doing meth for a decade, yeah, I can see it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Exactly like Tom Cruise (the real Tom Cruise).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Triple threat is kinda underwhelming, i was expecting way more with such a promising cast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Honest Thief posted:

Triple threat is kinda underwhelming, i was expecting way more with such a promising cast.

If there's one thing I learned from renting random action movies from blockbusters' in my teens, the more stacked the cast, the lower your expectations should be.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah. I enjoyed it, and it had some good fights, but it was oddly low-key and basic for a Jesse V Johnson movie.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I know it's a series, but after finally finishing Punisher season 1, I jumped into Daredevil season 3. Episode 4 has a long take scene that is freakin KILLER. Better, I think, than the hallway fight from season 1.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Honest Thief posted:

It had a memorable fragging scene, apart from that I don't really remember anything else from the movie :shrug:

There were action scenes, famous actors said lines, it was all just so forgettable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea for me Triple Threat was one of the biggest disappointments of the year. It's not bad but the difference between what I was hoping for and what I got was pretty huge.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Avengement is definitely the better Jesse V Johnson movie this year. More in line with the offbeat type stuff he was doing in Accident Man and The Debt Collector. Triple Threat is alright, just kinda plain in comparison.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Triple Threat was actually filmed like 3 or 4 years ago and Jesse Johnson complained that there was lots of Chinese interference which caused changes for the worse and much delays. In any case I don't think Johnson's primary interest or skill is in showing cool fights, but in more character driven crime stories like The Debt Collector. Even in Avengement, the fights were more brutal than showy, which worked really well for the story.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Triple Threat was still fun tho. As was Master Z. And drat Bautista owns as the steakman

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I just wanted my dude Tony Jaa to get some deserved come back.. dude could use a break

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And Jeeja Yanin too. Maybe she's getting as much work as she wants, but I want another Chocloate or Raging Phoenix.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone else see The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion..? I don’t know if I could really recommend it as the first three-quarters of the runtime is like some shot-for-tv twee Korean drama about a schoolgirl winning a talent show and it drags interminably but then the last half-hour goes bonkers, maybe the s-l-o-w start makes the sudden violence all the more :eyepop:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witch:_Part_1._The_Subversion

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

dokmo posted:

Triple Threat was actually filmed like 3 or 4 years ago and Jesse Johnson complained that there was lots of Chinese interference which caused changes for the worse and much delays. In any case I don't think Johnson's primary interest or skill is in showing cool fights, but in more character driven crime stories like The Debt Collector. Even in Avengement, the fights were more brutal than showy, which worked really well for the story.

The Dept Collector is really good. It switched me from mildly disliking Adkins into a fan.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Anyone else see The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion..? I don’t know if I could really recommend it as the first three-quarters of the runtime is like some shot-for-tv twee Korean drama about a schoolgirl winning a talent show and it drags interminably but then the last half-hour goes bonkers, maybe the s-l-o-w start makes the sudden violence all the more :eyepop:

Yeah I liked this in the end. It does take its time though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It's limitations (it was clearly on a tight-ish budget) worked in its favour. Only having brief spurts of super human fighting made the fights actually have structure and beats, rather than the music video montage you get when they have infinite money.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

If there's one thing I learned from renting random action movies from blockbusters' in my teens, the more stacked the cast, the lower your expectations should be.

the best illustration of this is the surprisingly good 'The Butcher' starring loving Eric Roberts.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

the best illustration of this is the surprisingly good 'The Butcher' starring loving Eric Roberts.

I don't care what anyone says, I love DoA.

Also, heads up, Mission Impossible Fallout is free on Prime right now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Narzack posted:

I don't care what anyone says, I love DoA.

Also, heads up, Mission Impossible Fallout is free on Prime right now.

And Hulu! drat, that was such a terrific movie. Definitely my favorite of the series.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wu Assassins is grown-up Power Rangers and I love it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm watching Hard Target 2 because well .. it has Scott Adkins and Robert Knepper.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with the first movie. At all.
Completely different characters, different setting. It is just another re-telling of The Most Dangerous Game.

I also seriously doubt the Hard Target name has much marketing pull 20+ years after the original movie. But I guess it was a case of "eh, we have the name. Let's use it"

Quick synopsis: Scott Adkins is a MMA fighter who accidentally kills his opponent (and friend) in a fight in the US. This makes him sad and he goes to Thailand to fight people there while being sad. Robert Knepper sees him and offers him a gig for $1m which then turns out to be human hunting in Myanmar.

I'm assuming Scott will do some spinkicks in the jungle or something once he starts killing bad guys.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

But does he punch out a snake in it? :haw:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrBling posted:

I'm watching Hard Target 2 because well .. it has Scott Adkins and Robert Knepper.

It also has absolutely nothing to do with the first movie. At all.
Completely different characters, different setting. It is just another re-telling of The Most Dangerous Game.

I also seriously doubt the Hard Target name has much marketing pull 20+ years after the original movie. But I guess it was a case of "eh, we have the name. Let's use it"

Quick synopsis: Scott Adkins is a MMA fighter who accidentally kills his opponent (and friend) in a fight in the US. This makes him sad and he goes to Thailand to fight people there while being sad. Robert Knepper sees him and offers him a gig for $1m which then turns out to be human hunting in Myanmar.

I'm assuming Scott will do some spinkicks in the jungle or something once he starts killing bad guys.

He does gun-fu against Temura Morrison and not-Kate-Beckinsale has a rocket launching motorcycle. Hard Target 2 owns. They finally adapted the script i wrote with my action figures when i was 23 15 8

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I recommend the director's commentary on Hard Target 2, where he discusses a lot of the realities and limitations of low budget action filmmaking. IIRC he says they had less than twenty days to shoot the whole thing and just two days to rehearse the fight scenes. They averaged 100 setups per day, which is probably 8 times what they shot on John wick 3. It's a miracle any of these direct to video movies are any good at all.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'll take cheap Scott Adkins movies over most any big budget action movies, because at least I know the fight scenes will be well choreographic and I'll be able to see what the hell is happening.

Speaking of our hero and saviour, is Eliminators any good?

I'm filling out my Adkins back catalogue and I see he has a drat zombie in there called Re-Kill.
Close Range is another one I need to find.

He also did a movie with JCVD called Assassination Games that I have yet to watch.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

MrBling posted:

Eliminators any good?

Yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvcOzHYWMVA

Edit: this post made me want to watch the movie again, which I did, and it still rules.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 31, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

dokmo posted:

I recommend the director's commentary on Hard Target 2, where he discusses a lot of the realities and limitations of low budget action filmmaking. IIRC he says they had less than twenty days to shoot the whole thing and just two days to rehearse the fight scenes. They averaged 100 setups per day, which is probably 8 times what they shot on John wick 3. It's a miracle any of these direct to video movies are any good at all.

100 setups per day is insane, the average is like 30

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A day in the life of a DTV action star consists of tons of setups and sit-ups.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been catching up on classic action movies I hadn't seen, with a rewatch thrown in for good measure.

Bloodsport: I know it launched JCVD's career, but really this is pretty tame. The tournament set-up, showcasing the different fighters and techniques, is great, but pretty much everyone else is more interesting than JCVD. It's fun, though!

Hard To Kill: Kelly LeBrock is gorgeous, but she falls in love with a man who's been in a coma for seven years. She's clearly unfit to be a nurse. I like that the bad guys are crooked cops instead of minorities, although the actual Big Bad Guy is underused, appearing for about 5 minutes of the run-time. Seagal is a huge piece of poo poo, but he really manages to make Mason Storm a bad-rear end. It's ultra-violent as hell, incredibly over-the-top. It's currently my favorite Seagal film I've seen.

Commando: Wait. So, the whole movie takes place in California suburbia? Not a jungle? John Matrix is out to save his daughter from bad guys, and he blows up a million things in the process. The practical effects in this movie are great. The plot gets surprisingly convoluted. I wasn't really able to follow motivations and the major reveals/twists went unnoticed. I loved the villains in this, though, especially David Patrick Kelly. Great movie.

Rambo: The First Blood, Part II: I saw this movie twenty years ago. My dad's go-to action movies were the Rambo movies, and then a few Seagal movies. I get this one and Part 3 blurred together as a single memory. Most memorable, for me, is when the love interest gets blown away as soon as they become an on-screen couple. The jungle setting is cool, the explosions and gun fights are awesome, but the villains all being nameless soldiers kinda make this more bland than it should be. Rambo stares a lot.

Lionheart: Oh man. This movie loving rules. Basically a remake of Bloodsport, but with more of JCVD's characterization--nice guy Messiah, comes back in the end despite getting the living poo poo kicked out of him, a family member to take care of, every woman wanting to gently caress him, crazy leg moves--which ultimately pays off for a rich experience. This movie sincerely kicks rear end and pumps up the audience during the last fights. The music is great, the cast is great, the acting is fascinating; it's funny, it's cool, it's exciting. Possibly my favorite JCVD? It's not as over-the-top as Hard Target, but it feels like the perfect 1990 action movie. Tonally, I can't really ask for more from what I like about these movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Commando is one of my go-to pick-me-up movies, it’s outrageously stupid but also a perfect showcase of why Arnold was so good in his prime. He was a massive slab of beef with good comedy chops, with the entire movie set up to show all that off. My personal favorite bit is something SMG once pointed out, in the hotel fight scene when they accidentally break into the room where a couple are having sex, the woman is loving the man from behind. It’s such a campy, fun movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The jungle setting really makes First Blood II, I watched the trilogy recently and I was really missing that in Part III. The desert just wasn't as eye-catching and had me bored during the non-action scenes.