Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's a "joke" twitter account so no it's not true

Ah too bad, something like that could potentially work provided it was handled right. Also I still kind of want a live action Precure series/movie one day.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In actual news, here are some upcoming new forms for the Star Twinkle team (and Fuwa):

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1n2QiRlHSJ/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 29, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Give Fuwa back her dingleboppers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

Give Fuwa back her dingleboppers.

It’s not permanent I don’t think, probably just another form change like what happens to her everytime the gang collects a new Pen

Based on the titles this is likely happening in episode 31 and/or 32 so we’ll know for sure fairly shortly.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 29, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some new titles are out and it looks like Elena will finally be getting her own focus episode in 34 (also based on said titles it looks like the girls may not be coming back to Earth for a little while yet).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 29, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's a "joke" twitter account so no it's not true

Onion sites will be the death of me.

Though, who knows, a theoretical Anno-lead precure might not be a flaming disaster if he minds his ps and qs and doesn’t go full rebuild.

Which is to say it would absolutely be a flaming disaster. The bastard child of Madoka Rebellion and Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 2.

Edit: Whoops, didn’t realise Awful put me at last post read, sorry.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 30, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That said, since we’re just a few years shy of the 20th anniversary now it might be nice if they did a live action Precure series/movie one day ala PGSM (albeit with a slightly higher budget hopefully).

While adapting an older show like Futari or Yes 5 could be fun (though you’d have to throw in a few new twists/toys in the process so you’re not just remaking the same show with live actors) it’d probably be better in this case to just do a brand new series specifically made for that particular medium.

Also for those who can read Japanese, any idea what the upcoming new Star Twinkle forms are called (if the scan even mentions a name that is)?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1n2QiRlHSJ/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Difficult to read, looks like it says "Hoshi no tiara hime", Star tiara princess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks. Not a big fan of the look honestly (hell, Soleil's outfit looks like it's barely been changed at all) but Unicorn Fuwa is kind of neat.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Futari wa/Hello Kitty crossover merchandise~!

https://twitter.com/OshieteHibiki/status/1167388947300794368

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of crossovers apparently there were a pair of audio dramas where the Futari Wa girls teamed up with the Dekarangers and the Magirangers respectively. Does anyone know if either of those actually still exist anywhere?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

Difficult to read, looks like it says "Hoshi no tiara hime", Star tiara princess.

Okay it does not say "hime" anywhere on second look. They're just called star tiaras.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, when did the trademark for Star Twinkle first drop? Because it seems to me that we should be getting a name for the 2020 season before too much longer.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Usually happens in October, I always talk about it when I stream Precure movies on my birthday to friends that don't care about Precure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know. As they dress the girls up as such often enough I'd kind of like to see a full fledged Ninja season one day. Maybe go for a more kid friendly Persona 5-esque angle where a group of kunoichi in training are tasked with assassinating the darkness in people's hearts made manifest by the villains (it's kind of a pity that Star Twinkle already gave us Yokai based antagonists as that would have worked great with something like this).

Dinosaurs or animals (yes, KiraKira technically had animal themed suits and abilities but it wasn't the main focus of the season) could also be interesting and probably lead to a lot of unique form changes as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 31, 2019

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Pretty Cure OOO

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caithness posted:

Pretty Cure OOO

Wasn’t that basically DokiDoki? We’ve got demons of avarice being released by a king, our main protagonist is a person that is so selfless that they would probably work themselves to death if not properly kept in check (Mana/Eiji) who meets up with an almost entirely selfish being with a connection to the villains (Regina/Ankh), and they both have to eventually realize that selfishness and selflessness are two sides of the same coin and you need a healthy balance of both in order to properly function.

Though there was also a bit of Blade in there as well (the card theme and Cure Sword being literally named Makoto Kenzaki) and of course Mana does Accel’s henshin call in the first episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 31, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

If Doki Doki was supposed to be OOO's we got cheated out of magical girl cake boss.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

If Doki Doki was supposed to be OOO's we got cheated out of magical girl cake boss.

Agreed. Not sure if it was supposed to be Precure OOO per se but it does borrow a lot of similar ideas and I think was even handled by the same writer.

There were also a lot of script revisions apparently (for example, Sword was actually not supposed to join the team until about the midpoint of the season).

That’s not even the only Toku reference Precure has ever made either. Off the top of my head we’ve also had:

-A Goranger reference in Smile (in the episode where they’re trying to find a secret base for them to use).

-A kid in an episode of Happiness Charge wearing a costume that’s basically V3 with a cape.

-An Ultraman reference in Star Twinkle oddly enough (when the team was transformed into mermaids on the water planet they recently visited the transformation came with a pendant that started flashing red when they were running out of time).

And probably more I’m forgetting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 31, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure Mana did a Kamen Rider pose in the first episode of DokiDoki, but it's been awhile that might have been Miyuki or Megumi.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mentioned that when I said DokiDoki was basically Pretty Cure OOO, yes. I think the pose in question was specifically meant to be Kamen Rider Accel’s (complete with an elongated cry of “Henshin!”).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 31, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hapiness Charge's form changes should of been like Decade's

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hapiness Charge's form changes should of been like Decade's

I won’t lie, a Gokaiger/Decade-esque season of Precure where they can turn into past Cures could be cool (a lot of the teams are kind of uneven in terms of numbers though). Ideally the transformation would only change the suit so you could still tell who’s who should they wind up teaming up with any previous Cures.

Also since Toei seems reluctant to age up any of its older characters you’d either have to have the plot involve time travel somehow or just set it in the All Stars universe and ignore any inconsistencies.

Maybe for the 20th anniversary series or something.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 31, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, Star Twinkle 30: This week on 2001: A Space Odyssey, Aiwan hijacks the planet. Though it does give Lala a chance to make up with her family, and the team recovers Cancer so it all worked out in the end. Turns out Saman only lasted two episodes (sort of) and now Darknest and Saman's forces are following them.

Anyway, next up is the final Pen and the lead up to the new power that goes with it (which from the scans I think is called Star Tiara Mode or something like that). Though personally I’m more curious to learn what’s happening after the 12 Pens have all been gathered (we’ve still got a good amount of episodes left after all).

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

I mentioned that when I said DokiDoki was basically Pretty Cure OOO, yes. I think the pose in question was specifically meant to be Kamen Rider Accel’s (complete with an elongated cry of “Henshin!”).

Oh poo poo ignore me I'm stupid.

Also yeah, a Gokaicure would be rad, especially if we got to see older versions of some Cures. No idea how they'd handle the transformations sequences, maybe just do the HaCha thing where they have the hair salon cover dress thingy?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Oh poo poo ignore me I'm stupid.

Also yeah, a Gokaicure would be rad, especially if we got to see older versions of some Cures. No idea how they'd handle the transformations sequences, maybe just do the HaCha thing where they have the hair salon cover dress thingy?

If they wanted to put in a bit of extra effort they could recreate the transformation sequence of the team they’re turning into (the first time anyway, doing that every time in addition to their own sequence would probably waste too much time).

You could even get creative with some of the representatives (like bringing back Bunbee for the Yes 5 tribute or Regina for DokiDoki). Plus it’d be a good way to pay homage to the show’s roots without having to cram everyone into one big crossover event like before (they could learn magic from Riko, get princess lessons from Haruka, train with Iona, work at the KiraPati, go into space with Lala or Yuni, etc).

Toei seems kind of reluctant to age up most of the old Cures (though the last 4 seasons did end on timeskips showing the girls as adults) but maybe they could compromise. Like have them show up as adults/older teens and then when/if they transform you could temporarily turn them back into kids for some reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 1, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Getting hype for the chance at Precure Space battles just need Cure Honey to Colony Drop some Bad guys

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am sort of curious where the show is going now that we’re just one shy of collecting all the Princess Pens (and it seems a bit late in the game to pull a Smile and reset the clock) but if this latest episode is any indication things are probably going to start heating up in a big way pretty soon.

Also based on the upcoming titles it doesn’t look like the girls will be coming back to Earth for a little while, so welcome to Pretty Cure in Space I guess (which is fine by me, it’s fun to have a bunch of unique locations for a change).

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

God yes, the going to other planets stuff is the best thing about this already good as hell season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It sort of makes me wonder how/if they’re going to top this next season as this as been one of the biggest Precure shows ever just in terms of scale (even Happiness Charge mostly kept things contained to a single town in spite of the whole International Precure angle), which if the past is any indication should mean that we’re in for one hell of a final arc this time around.

Elena desperately needs some individual character development (Hikaru too as I’m not really sure where they’re going with her now that the whole thing with her dad turned out to be a nonissue) and there’s still plenty of time for them to screw things up but at the moment Star Twinkle is quickly shaping up to be one of my all time favorite seasons (and Lala has already cemented her place as my favorite Green Cure).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 1, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Lala is so good, easily in my top 3 cures ever. And I'm really glad we've gotten more green cures lately, too. It always felt underrepresented with just Komachi and Nao for so long. I dunno where I'd place Star Twinkle honestly, maybe like fourth or fifth? I hope it ends on a strong note though, it's definitely one of the most fun series so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And currently we have enough to form their own team (Ha-Chan and Ciel also count as green). Now we just need more White Cures as unless you want to count Royal Candy, Cure Echo and Cure Tomorrow we’ve only had three core ones so far (and Honoka and Mai would probably be considered Blues if it weren’t for Kanade).

I’m holding off final judgement on Star Twinkle until the series is actually finished but it’s looking good so far. There’s also a good number of potential plot threads left that I hope get resolved in a satisfying manner. For example, I am convinced now that there’s something going on with Darknest. Otherwise why go to such lengths to disguise his voice (unless a Precure voice actor has gone uncredited at first in a past season as well).

Also at the end of the most recent episode (which has been subbed by Anon currently) the Precure are now being followed by the Saman military, not sure what that’s about.

If anyone was curious, Overtime’s main translator for Star Twinkle is currently MIA. They have apparently put someone else in charge of subbing the show though so hopefully they’ll start releasing episodes again soon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 2, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Also at the end of the most recent episode (which has been subbed by Anon currently) the Precure are now being followed by the Saman military, not sure what that’s about.

I believe it's the Starscape Alliance who wants the Precure for some reason, not sure why though.

But yeah Lala is one of my top five Cures for sure. I feel like her personal arc is unlike any other we've seen so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I believe it's the Starscape Alliance who wants the Precure for some reason, not sure why though.

But yeah Lala is one of my top five Cures for sure. I feel like her personal arc is unlike any other we've seen so far.

I appreciate that her family sort of came around this episode but I still think Lala is the most competent member of her race that we’ve seen so far and should probably just move to Earth permanently once all is said and done (people actually seem to respect her there for one thing).

As for the alliance, either they’re volunteering to help the Precure or they’re after the Pens too for some reason (which with Aiwan still acting as an independent agent at the moment would now put us into a four way race). Like I said, I’m more curious now as to what they have planned for after the final Star Pen is collected.

And since we’re on the subject, what’s everyone’s favorite Cure out of the 7 main color types (multiples are fine as well if you can’t narrow it down)?

Pink: Cure Black, her character arc might be kind of a revolving door (with her learning the same lessons multiple times and not really growing all that much as the series went on) but I still kind of have a soft spot for Nagisa regardless. Melody and Flora are also up there for me and while she’s not all that impressive as a Precure I really like Hikaru as a character and wish she’d get a bit more individual focus.

Cure Heart is also decent and I feel her Mary Sue status among some of the fandom is a bit unearned since if you’re actually paying attention you’d see that she’s not perfect by any stretch. She’s an overachiever who will bend over backwards to help people but doesn’t really understand her own limits (in fact if it weren’t for Rikka and the others keeping her in check Mana would basically have worked herself to death long ago).

While a lot of the story tends to revolve around her (and she kind of has her own fan club/harem), Mana is still different from say, Daigo from Kyoryuger in that she never went out of her way to exclude a team member from taking part in a fight (even Parthenon Mode at the end was technically made up of power from all 5 of them plus the Three Treasures).

Her team also did more in the final battle than just sit on the sidelines and watch as was the case in Happiness Charge.

Blue: Cure Marine, no contest (Berry, Beat, and Gelato are good too).

Yellow: Cure Twinkle with Peace just behind her (Muse, Sunshine and Lemonade are up there as well).

Rosetta and Etoile are also decent but the former is a bit underdeveloped (and almost feels like she should be the star of her own series) and the latter is fine but I kind of wish they’d picked a better costume for her rather than flight attendant (her primary dream was to be a figure skater after all).

Red: Tie between Cure Sunny and Cure Chocolat (I really like Akane as a character and Akira is basically Haruka from Sailor Moon minus the amorality). MaCherie and Passion are also good (as is Scarlet but I kind of feel her character got nerfed a bit after she formally joined the team, she still has one of the best debut fights in Precure history though).

Purple: Cure Moonlight. I won’t mince words, Yuri’s life is HELL. She initially failed her mission causing her to basically fall into a state of depression, watched her fairy, “sister”, and father all die right in front of her, and probably would have been killed herself had Tsubomi not stopped her from going after Dune alone (it’s a
small wonder that the poor girl is even still sane by the end of things). But instead of shattering into pieces she wound up bouncing back stronger than ever (if that’s not the mark of a true hero I don’t know what is)

Runner up is Cure Macaron (I find her attitude charming somehow and her just completely playing Rio for a sap early on is one of the best moments in the series for me) and Sword, Amour, and Milky Rose are close behind (even if I kind of hated Milk at first).

Green: Cure Milky because Lala, March is a close second though.

White: They’re all fairly decent but I’m probably still going to have to give it to Honoka (though I wish the slightly snarky version of the character from the episode previews showed up more in the actual series).

She’s got an actual arc as well that spans across both seasons, going from an awkward smart girl with only a small circle of friends to a natural leader that’s basically beloved by her entire school.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 2, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Pink: Blossom, I related a lot to her as a teenager. I think I'm pretty different now, but she's been my favorite Cure since I started, and every rewatch of Heartcatch has cemented that. She has such a good heart, and is really compassionate and just. Aghh, I wanna be like her when I grow up. (Also my net handle comes from her technically)

Lovely is a close second, I love how energetic she is. Lollipop Hip Hop is also my favorite magical girl outfit design ever, that definitely helps.

Blue: Beat, for sure. Her arc becoming a Cure made me cry a lot. I love cats and reformed villians, and also her hair is a loving guitar holy poo poo she rules so hard. Marine is also really good, obviously, but Beat just hits a lot of character niches I'm weak to.

Yellow: Etoille. I have no idea why, but she was my favorite Cure in Hugtto. Something about her felt so much more real and grounded than the others, and I thought her overcoming her trauma to become a Cure was one of the best introductory arcs this show has ever had, and her friendship with Henri and crush on Harry were really adorable. I kinda agree on her design not being great in Cure form, but I felt that way about everyone in Hugtto.

Red: Passion, weak to villians into Cures trope and junk I said earlier. Plus she has my favorite civilian design by far.

Purple: Moonlight!! Mostly because of the reasons you said, and I'm biased as gently caress towards Heartcatch in general.

Green: Milky. Precious idiot martian daughter. I really really feel for her, and her design in all forms is cute as hell.

White: Probably Honoka? I don't have strong feelings about any of the white Cures, but I definitely like Honoka the best.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Pink: Black hands-down, I love my pessimistic disaster of a daughter. Peach might be my second favorite.

Blue: I've no idea how to choose I feel like they're all fantastic

Yellow: I've no idea how to choose between Peace and Custard in specific, I love the tiny yellow smalls.

Red: Passion 100%. Not only is her arc fantastic but she has the best costume and henshin in the franchise IMO. Chocolat is also great.

Purple: Sword, maybe? Macaron is probably second. Gonna be the odd one out here and say I don't completely get the Moonlight hype, I mean I do like her and she's got a great design but Blossom and Marine were far and away my two favorite Heartcatch Cures and the main reason I stuck with the season.

Green: Milky. Already one of my favorite Cures of all time.

White: the OG White, of course. I'm biased because Futari Wa is my favorite so I'm always going to pick Black & White in their respective categories. They and Passion are my top three Cures out of all sixty.

Although speaking of colors apparently there was an official Toei art book that said all sorts of things like Black being a (take a guess) Black Cure, Sunny being an Orange Cure, and Parfait being a Rainbow Cure, so who knows who is what color anymore.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 3, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Moonlight was literally referred to as a Silver Cure at least once during HeartCatch (also Sunshine’s signature attack is called Gold Forte Burst and her outfit is a much darker shade than other Yellows). Come to think of it, is our only indicator of official color groupings the mobile game or is there another source backing that up as well?

As for the Hugtto outfits, I understand what they were going for as each suit represents a specific career path (cheerleader, nurse, flight attendant, Lolita rockstar) but the problem is there’s no real connecting element to tie them all together. As a result each Cure looks like she stepped out of a completely different series.

I sort of understand what they were trying to do with the whole Hana/George thing as well (they were husband and wife in the original timeline, Hana (died prematurely and that’s what set everything into motion) but in practice he just comes off as a creepy pedophile.

Apparently Hugtto’s main writer dropped some hints a while back that the original Hana committed suicide, this is backed up by a flashback later in the series showing that despite her upbeat attitude Hana was sort of in a bad place in her life prior to meeting Saaya and the others (hence her daily affirmations in the mirror before school). I would assume this means that in the original future Hana never had that particular support network to fall back on (and as such Cure Yell might not have originally existed).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 3, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

And Moonlight was literally referred to as a Silver Cure at least once during HeartCatch (also Sunshine’s signature attack is called Gold Forte Burst and her outfit is a much darker shade than other Yellows). Come to think of it, is our only indicator of official color groupings the mobile game or is there another source backing that up as well?

I was mostly going by the mobile game because it seemed like the closest we had to an official source but since there's an art book saying differently who knows. I think Toei just sort of decides what they want to at the moment and what works best. I've seen them call Milky a green Cure in multiple places though (the twitter, the official website etc.) so at least we know that one after all the early green vs. blue arguments when she first appeared, lol.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I was mostly going by the mobile game because it seemed like the closest we had to an official source but since there's an art book saying differently who knows. I think Toei just sort of decides what they want to at the moment and what works best. I've seen them call Milky a green Cure in multiple places though (the twitter, the official website etc.) so at least we know that one after all the early green vs. blue arguments when she first appeared, lol.

How long ago did this artbook come out?

Also since Cosmo is Blue Milky basically has to be Green by default (kind of like how Rhythm in Suite can only possibly be White).

Plus Black is usually grouped with the Pinks anyway. Then again there are no other Black Cures unless you want to count Dark Precure, Regina, and Cure Tender, but even then one of those was a villain until literally her final moments, one technically wasn’t a Cure at all and the last one wasn’t a core team member.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not gonna do everyone but best yellow is twinkle no contest