Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Imagine if I allowed myself to watch From Beyond willy nilly whenever I felt like it. I'd lose my job and be homeless within a month.

Same except I do allow myself to do that and my life has had terrible consequences as a result youre a better man than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

With the October challenge approaching I was wondering if thread could give me a list of some essential Hammer Horror films.

If it makes a difference to what you suggest, I'm also planning on working through as much of the Universal Classic Monsters boxset as I can for the challenge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Imagine if I allowed myself to watch From Beyond willy nilly whenever I felt like it. I'd lose my job and be homeless within a month.

Just watch it at work, unless eating nachos in your underwear is also a requirement of watching From Beyond willy nilly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CRAYON posted:

With the October challenge approaching I was wondering if thread could give me a list of some essential Hammer Horror films.

If it makes a difference to what you suggest, I'm also planning on working through as much of the Universal Classic Monsters boxset as I can for the challenge.

With some exceptions(Plague of the Zombies comes to mind), the best way to start with Hammer is to watch anything that features both Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, AND was directed by Terrance Fisher:

Curse of Frankenstein
Horror of Dracula
The Mummy
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Gorgon

From there stick with Fisher and check out the films he did with only Cushing OR Lee. They're still great:

Revenge of Frankenstein
Brides of Dracula
Dracula Prince of Darkness(the only one I haven't seen)
Frankenstein Created Woman
The Devil Rides Out
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell(the only one on this list I'd maybe call mediocre)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CRAYON posted:

Anything that has both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing in it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Our good pal uncle boogey made a list of his picks for me a couple years back

Uncle Boogey's Hammer Horror Must Watch List https://boxd.it/X5V6

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have at long last secured the unedited cut of Murder-Set-Pieces (not to be confused with the Director's Cut or the theatrical cut) and I will report back on how it is

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I'm like 100 pages into Paperbacks From Hell and it's the most fun loving thing, holy moly

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Speaking of Grady Hendrix, “My Best Friend’s Exorcism” and “Horrorstor” are both pretty good if anyone is looking for some meat-and-potatoes literary horror. He’s not trying to reinvent the wheel, but his character work is strong and it makes the gruesome stuff land harder.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I meant I'm holding off on horror for the next couple weeks, I watch a shitload the rest of the year

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kvlt! posted:

I have at long last secured the unedited cut of Murder-Set-Pieces (not to be confused with the Director's Cut or the theatrical cut) and I will report back on how it is

Lol why would you do this?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thanks for the Hammer suggestions, I should be all set for the October Challenge now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Lol why would you do this?

It is the duty of every poster in this thread to watch the lovely horror movies nobody else will.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
They're making an Uzumaki miniseries for Cartoon Network directed by the guy who did Mushishi. Hopefully it turns out better than Gyo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ToonamiSquad/status/1167580644630835209

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnc8ag12dZ4

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Stink Billyums posted:

They're making an Uzumaki miniseries for Cartoon Network directed by the guy who did Mushishi. Hopefully it turns out better than Gyo.

On the one hand, there hasn't been a single good Ito adaptation so far and almost every attempt that's been made takes out something fundamental about his aesthetic. But on the other, gently caress the gently caress yeah maybe this'll be the one

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 31, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Stink Billyums posted:

Deeply cautious for obvious reasons but very excited.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Hard to tell from just the clip, but already making it black and white gets rid of a lot of the problems you have with adapting Ito's work. You need to have that hard contrast to do his work justice.

Also, hold up Colin Stetson's doing the score?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stink Billyums posted:

The trailer fills me with cautious optimism, very unsettling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Friends Are Evil posted:

On the one hand, there hasn't been a single good Ito adaptation so far and almost every attempt that's been made takes out something fundamental about his aesthetic. But on the other, gently caress the gently caress yeah maybe this'll be the one

I maintain that the live action Uzumaki is very good and underrated

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

No, it isn't. It's the perfect example of how to not use CGI in your movie.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The House of the Devil is going to be 10 years old this Halloween which makes me feel old as poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yup. It obviously ends up emphasizing the comedic element of the manga, but Junji Ito's work borders on horror-comedy to begin with.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Saw ready or not tonight, it was fun to see in a theater.

Also unrelatedly, with the recent dead meat eps, i had this weird feeling that final destination would actually make a pretty fun serial series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

No, it isn't. It's the perfect example of how to not use CGI in your movie.

Oh no not poor quality special effects in my low budget horror movie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh wow, y'all aren't kidding, The Evolution of Horror podcast is fantastic. Maybe I dipped into a particularly great episode with Plague of the Zombies where it's him and his Hammer-fan former drama professor, but this feels like the horror podcast I've always wanted.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Add me to the horror abstinence until October crew. Thankfully Shaw Bros movies are keeping me sane until then.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I prefer to start watching horror mid-summer, really ramp it up toward the end of October, then burn out completely by mid-November and not touch it again until I start the cycle over.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I dont actually watch horror movies. Never really got the appeal tbh.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Really I'm just here for the crowd.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
The crowd is 99% of why I'm at Creature Feature Weekend today, they also have a pretty deep cut selection of celebrities.

...and Corey Feldman

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've never even seen a movie I just read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just found out they're making a sequel to The Shining.

At first I was like "Why?" but apparently it's based on the book King already wrote as a sequel to The Shinning called Doctor Sleep so I guess there's a reason to make this movie beyond wanting money based on name recognition.

Has anyone read Doctor Sleep? Is it good?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gejimayu posted:

I dont actually watch horror movies. Never really got the appeal tbh.
I'm someone who likes reading more on them or watch vlogs discussing them; I mean I'll watch like Dawn of the Dead and horror comedies, but I'm too much of a wimp for most horror.

It's why I miss James Rolfe's Monster Madness videos he would do for the longest time. That was like my October tradition

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No and no

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LMAO at the posers itt watching horror movies

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stink Billyums posted:

This looks... good? I don't want to get over excited, but I think I will be eventually.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I just told Joe Bob I would never forgive him for introducing me to Society

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've never even seen a movie I just read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia

"If you read the TV Guide, you don't need a TV"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just found out they're making a sequel to The Shining.

At first I was like "Why?" but apparently it's based on the book King already wrote as a sequel to The Shinning called Doctor Sleep so I guess there's a reason to make this movie beyond wanting money based on name recognition.

It’s not good. The Shining stuff is the best part of the book but it’s mostly a very generic story with lame vampires types who never pose an actual threat to the protagonists. Really nothing special but it seems like the movie is going to be more of a sequel to the movie than Doctor Sleep is a sequel to the movie/book.