Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Splicer posted:

It adds "authenticity". If you were faking the conversation you'd obviously take nicer screenshots!

e: iT'S LIKE SCREWING UP THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON AN DSPACING TO SHOW HOW EXCITED YOU ARE! cLEARLY i'M GENUINELY EXCITDE OR i WOULD HAVE TYPED THIS BETTER AND CHECKED BEFORE HTITING SNED!

Inside voices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

little white noise to start off page 362 for yall sorry bout that

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

little white noise to start off page 362 for yall sorry bout that

Page 362 being all like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T73fdlLl6mg

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngGRZehWFSY

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

I had a surgical incision get infected and it was probably the worst thing that's ever happened to me. That's my surgery story.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I like stories like that because you can tell that person has no idea how long ten minutes of solid, unbroken laughter (follow evidently by twenty more?) actually is.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I like stories like that because you can tell that person has no idea how long ten minutes of solid, unbroken laughter (follow evidently by twenty more?) actually is.

yeah that amount of laughter probably only occurs in reality in totalitarian regimes where you'll get executed if you stop laughing at the Supreme Leader's joke. Even a solid minute starts to get pretty excessive for a one-off joke/story.

other things stdh authors apparently don't understand: how absurd it would actually look if someone turned white/purple, their jaw drops and they sprinted toward the exit while everyone claps at how they got verbally owned.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

yeah that amount of laughter probably only occurs in reality in totalitarian regimes where you'll get executed if you stop laughing at the Supreme Leader's joke. Even a solid minute starts to get pretty excessive for a one-off joke/story.

I can laugh over 10minutes straight at dumb poo poo I find online, but at that point I am drunk and very tired and even without the giggle fits I would be in no shape to operate on somebody.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The General posted:

I can laugh over 10minutes straight at dumb poo poo I find online, but at that point I am drunk and very tired and even without the giggle fits I would be in no shape to operate on somebody.

Yeah I think sobriety and doing it in front of other people is key to judging whether it's normal or not. If it's a story of some drunk person alone at home giggling at a dog driving a boat for 10 minutes, sure, that's believable, but if you did that in public/at work people would definitely think you've lost it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Look, the donkey is really drunk and can't eat those figs. Funny is funny.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've done the thing where I've found something funny and laughed and then tried to move on to something else and started laughing again and had that keep going for a long while, but a solid 10 minutes of laughing would probably do permanent physical damage to you.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
can... can people write legibly on their own back?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
For that, at least, they claim their mother wrote the message on their back.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Splicer posted:

It adds "authenticity". If you were faking the conversation you'd obviously take nicer screenshots!

e: iT'S LIKE SCREWING UP THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON AN DSPACING TO SHOW HOW EXCITED YOU ARE! cLEARLY i'M GENUINELY EXCITDE OR i WOULD HAVE TYPED THIS BETTER AND CHECKED BEFORE HTITING SNED!

JEFFK LIVES

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once got thrown out of a classroom for laughing for ten or so minutes but even that had pauses in it. It was a long time.

I laughed because the textbook had the sentence "Ossi pisti kirjeen reppuunsa" ('Ossi put the letter in his rucksack.') and the guy sitting in front of me turned around and whispered "Ossi pisti kirjeen peppuunsa!" ('Ossi put the letter in his bum.')

e: He's bald now so I guess god avenged me.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

does nothing ever happen in your world

I know it's a meme in this thread to post obvious jokes and totally believable stories, but come on

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I was gonna say this one seems pretty plausible if not a bit self-aggrandizing. But the worst part about it is that it was boring to read and full of terms and acronyms I don’t understand so I’m hostile toward it

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's all just speech language pathologist terms for ways to communicate with nonverbal patients, AAC is Augmentative and Alternative Communication, basically an umbrella term for various approaches for communicating with someone who is unable to use verbal language (spoken or written).

One of my friends is an SLP and she works in public schools

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I'd 100% buy that this happened, especially since I've had similar encounters. (Its great, people think you're some sort of wizard while you play with their kid :3:) In behavior analysis we call it 'mand training' and its one of the quickest, easiest skills to teach and the one with the most noticeable and immediate effect. All it takes is some patience and basic operant conditioning skills.

I even forgive the self-congratulatory nature of the tweet since this is a thousand times better then people pushing facilitated communication and other nonsense.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, that one was a-okay.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's also wholesome and kind-hearted and we should be encouraging that

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I always view self congratulatory tweet threads as suspicious, and honestly i'm sure some of it is exaggerated, but not offensively so. It does kind of make me roll my eyes to fish for backpats but it's basically just "i did my job on an airplane". Nobody clapped, nobody burst into song, it wasn't livetweeted with grandmas sneaking up the aisle joining in on it, it probably happened.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

idk the kid sounds like too much of a textbook case to be real. Breakthroughs like that with autistic kids are extremely rare to begin with, and she happened to have one by chance because she was seated next time him on a plane?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

by chance because she was seated next time him on a plane?

that's an stdh hallmark.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
The idea that this could have happened isn't entirely out of plausibility, but like tory said, she just happened to be sitting next to a child with severe autism, on her way back from a conference? :cmon: it's definitely possible, but definitely didn't happen as presented.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I'm glad this saintly white woman was there

There's gotta be a way to tell this story without sounding like an rear end in a top hat

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ElGroucho posted:

I'm glad this saintly white woman was there

There's gotta be a way to tell this story without sounding like an rear end in a top hat

“I showed a child and his parent how to use a communication board today! I hope they can follow up once they get home.”

Or better yet, just tell your coworkers, who might actually care :shrug:

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Yea I'm not buying it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

poo poo that while plausible is tipped over the edge into improbable by context, .txt

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That one was too divisive let's try this one then:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bike tory posted:

"He just sorta raised his eyebrow and rolled his eyes at me. Owned."

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
How would they see the look on the person's face if they had walked past them muttering it

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

How would they see the look on the person's face if they had walked past them muttering it

Say, that seems like a hole in that story!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

bike tory posted:

Shouldn't it be too few legs?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The worst variant of that form of stdh are when they combine it with dr who roleplaying. There's a classic one where someone is laying in a jeep or something and has the tardis noise as a ring tone and somebody recognizes it and it's just awful.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The worst variant of that form of stdh are when they combine it with dr who roleplaying. There's a classic one where someone is laying in a jeep or something and has the tardis noise as a ring tone and somebody recognizes it and it's just awful.

I know one was making the rounds where it happened in a parking garage and ended up having multiple people recognize it and play along.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I gotchu guys

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Receiving a phone call that she didn’t answer and a brief interaction with strangers was the greatest experience of her life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
At least five people at an airport were so excited by a ringtone they abandoned what they were doing for the most milquetoast of improv