Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Sanderson just dropped a Stormlight update on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/cvvs75/stormlight_book_4_update_5/

50% in, woohoo! He still reckons he's a month behind and that 2020 looks tight, but I just remember him smashing out the chapters at the tail end of writing OB. That last 20% of Sanderlanche might go very fast indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Did you ever pick the series back up and finish it?

Not yet. I've been real awful about reading anything lately. Haven't even done my reading of On Basilisk Station for the MilScifi thread.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

Sanderson just dropped a Stormlight update on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/cvvs75/stormlight_book_4_update_5/

50% in, woohoo! He still reckons he's a month behind and that 2020 looks tight, but I just remember him smashing out the chapters at the tail end of writing OB. That last 20% of Sanderlanche might go very fast indeed.

Great news. Too bad about the possibility of Eshonai flashbacks being cut.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

Great news. Too bad about the possibility of Eshonai flashbacks being cut.

It sounded to me like they'd be in a later book at least, they just didn't seem to fit in properly in this one. Hell, if they're written he could even toss them out as a novella or something and I'd pick it up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There is apparently a website called http://www.thedailytrolloc.com/with updates about the tv show.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is apparently a website called http://www.thedailytrolloc.com/with updates about the tv show.

Hmm yes, I do need to read several pages long articles about whether the Two Rivers people have light or dark skin.

Why are there no sane fandoms anywhere?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Hmm yes, I do need to read several pages long articles about whether the Two Rivers people have light or dark skin.

Why are there no sane fandoms anywhere?

lol yeah HA.. that's probably not a good link

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

lol yeah HA.. that's probably not a good link

oh goddammit >_< I'm on the road on my phone this weekend so didn't peruse in depth, just saw it had some interview with a cast member.

Tor did have a good article about why folks need to get over themselves about the casting thing:

quote:

I asked above, who is the aggrieved party when Rafe and the Awful Producers alter the deal and tell me to pray they don’t alter it further? I will tell you who the aggrieved party is.

The aggrieved party is every twelve-year-old black kid in my class who over the course of several months saw me tearing through my copies of the The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, the Dragon Reborn, and The Shadow Rising which, by my count, combine in their cover art to depict a perfect record of twenty-four out of twenty-four white folks. The aggrieved party is the person who looks at fifteen consecutive book covers and says: That is a world in which people like me are not normal and have to be explained. Singing manbat vampires and armored goatpeople seem to be easily ignored elements of the milieu, but people like me don’t even exist in that world as far as I can tell.

Rafe Judkins and the producers of The Wheel of Time on Amazon have explicitly rejected the opportunity to repeat Tor’s mistake. They are openly and loudly and proudly repudiating the implied promise that we, the dear white demographic that so dominates the fantasy market, can comfortably rely on our status as the Real World default when we visit Their World.

https://www.tor.com/2019/08/20/from-the-two-rivers-casting-and-race-in-the-wheel-of-time/

The interesting thing the article points out is that the actual text of the books describes Two Rivers folks as having brown skin and brown hair. They're all tan farmers. The casting is text-accurate, just not cover-art-accurate.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 31, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh goddammit >_< I'm on the road on my phone this weekend so didn't peruse in depth, just saw it had some interview with a cast member.

Tor did have a good article about why folks need to get over themselves about the race thing:

https://www.tor.com/2019/08/20/from-the-two-rivers-casting-and-race-in-the-wheel-of-time/

The interesting thing the article points out is that the actual text of the books describes Two Rivers folks as having brown skin and brown hair. They're all tan farmers. The casting is text-accurate, just not cover-art-accurate.

now this is a great piece

i hadn't seen this cover-art of perrin before and it rules:

also good on tor for publishing something that calls them out for their awful every-main-character-is-a-white-british-person-regardless-of-their-book-description house style in all those og paperbacks

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 31, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tor did have a good article about why folks need to get over themselves about the casting thing:

The covers were never text-accurate. Was it the second book that depicted trollocs as normal humans with animal shaped helmets? Also, weird Rand with one super muscular arm on the cover of A Crown of Swords.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It matters not what ethnicity Nynaeve originates from, only that she has a braid to tug. When it comes to television the more pressing issue is how are they going change Perrin's seven-book arc where he's wiping his arse with leaves in the woods.

It is good that nobody is nostalgic for those off-putting US covers with the odd-proportions, and it is a shame there's no physical way you can put this complete kicking-rad ebook cover on a book.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
That is one of the scenes that I would love to see. Last half of that book is great.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Saw Sanderson today he mentioned Wheel of Time tv series and his high hopes for it. They are flying him to Prague to be on set during filming to advise.

Also he read the prologue of the next Stormlight semi cosmere spoilers knights radiant can't get too far from Roshar without losing their power, Gavilar had people trying to go through Shadesmar.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Saw Sanderson today he mentioned Wheel of Time tv series and his high hopes for it. They are flying him to Prague to be on set during filming to advise.

Also he read the prologue of the next Stormlight semi cosmere spoilers knights radiant can't get too far from Roshar without losing their power, Gavilar had people trying to go through Shadesmar.

woah, that's pretty significant. he's been really cagey about whether and how spren can leave the Rosharan system. I wonder if KR can't leave because spren can't, or if it's something else?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

woah, that's pretty significant. he's been really cagey about whether and how spren can leave the Rosharan system. I wonder if KR can't leave because spren can't, or if it's something else?

Fans have asked him about that before, his answer was that it's very difficult to get your spren off-world, since they're bound to Roshar. But it's not impossible. The comparison is to fueling Awakening with Stormlight. Vasher figured out how to stay alive with just Stormlight, eliminating the need to get one Breath every week. But even he hasn't figured out how to Awaken with Stormlight, which Brandon said was possible.

I just want to return to this really quick. The three boys, plus two of the five girls make up only 40% of the PoVs in the books? I'm surprised, I would have bet they're more than 60%. Rand alone accounts for 100% of the PoVs in The Dragon Reborn (apart from that LTT prologue). Which big characters are even missing? I'd say Elayne, Min, Aviendha, Moiraine, Siuan and Tuon. Plus the Forsaken as a whole I guess. And Gawyn? Pevara? I'm honestly surprised those (and the remaining minor characters) can make up 60% of the PoVs in the books.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Fans have asked him about that before, his answer was that it's very difficult to get your spren off-world, since they're bound to Roshar. But it's not impossible. The comparison is to fueling Awakening with Stormlight. Vasher figured out how to stay alive with just Stormlight, eliminating the need to get one Breath every week. But even he hasn't figured out how to Awaken with Stormlight, which Brandon said was possible.

ah yeah. i assume most of this stuff is just setting up (things that people think are) rules so they can be broken in cool displays of power in lategame books that come out like, 15-20 years from now

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

socialsecurity posted:

Saw Sanderson today he mentioned Wheel of Time tv series and his high hopes for it.

Sup, I'm also at Dragoncon, but I never made it to any of Sanderson's panels this year.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I expect a lot of those hacks involve hemalurgy in some way. The stuff introduced in the last wax and vayne...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Avalerion posted:

I expect a lot of those hacks involve hemalurgy in some way. The stuff introduced in the last wax and vayne...

I'd expand this and say the Metallic Arts are the prime candidates to overcome those limitations in the other magic systems.

They are already free of any location limitations. Aviar only work on one island, and variants of AonDor barely function even just a few hundred kilometers away. Sand Mastery and Awakening can be used anywhere, but it's extremely impractical to carry Sand Mastery's fuel source around with you (and Autonomy has sealed off Taldain, so no refueling anyway). And while you absolutely can carry around a few thousand Breaths, getting so many Breaths in the first place is very difficult. And your fuel source is still just one planet.

In contrast, the metals fuel Allomancy/work as storage devices for Ferruchemy/can be made into spikes for Hemalurgy are found on basically all planets that humans can inhabit. And some of those metals will be abundant in any kind of human civilization (iron, copper, etc.). And already, Scadrians have found ways to hack the Metallic Arts themselves, creating items that allow anybody to use Allomancy/Ferruchemy in the form of unkeyed metalminds. I'm pretty sure there are ways to use metalminds to interact with the other magic systems, Surgebinding being the prime candidate imho. What if somebody can store a spren's identity in a metalmind, so that it's no longer bound to Roshar? Or use connection to make an AonDor user think they are on home territory?

And spikes are of course always a prime candidate to hack all kinds of systems.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
That Spren have a tough time leaving Roshar thing seems like the kind of problem you can fix with the Connection haemalurgy hack, might be able to use a similar trick to metabolize the local magic Investiture into Stormlight.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Torrannor posted:

Aviar only work on one island

I agree with the general theory but wanted to correct the inaccuracies here. Aviar are MADE on only one island - feed any bird on the fruit by the Shardpool on Patji and you turn it into an Aviar because it becomes infected with the parasitic worm - see Sak.

Also note that Mraize actually has an Aviar with him. I would love to know what gifts he's getting.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

it's also worth noting that cadmium very specifically stores breath.

And nicrosil stores Investiture, but carefully does not note the type of Investiture.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Ahhh!!! The Stormlight Four prologue was read at Dragon Con and it's up on Arcanum:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/394/#e12852

Spoilers obviously Kalak and Nale KNEW Gavilar was summoning voidspren from Brazil what on Roshar?!?!??!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

On one hand I want to read it, but on the otherhand I don't want to have to wait over a year for the rest of it :ohdear:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's also a reading with relatively few big-universe spoilers on the coppermind of the prologue chapter with kaladin's dad tending to refugees in his now enemy-occupied home town

also i know in that chapter it's described as an old man but... a master artifabrian named "kris"? hmmmmmm

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 2, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

rndmnmbr posted:

it's also worth noting that cadmium very specifically stores breath.

And nicrosil stores Investiture, but carefully does not note the type of Investiture.

Cadmium breath storage means the ability to oxygenate your blood. Biochromatic Breath is a form of Investiture and would fall under nicrosil.

My question is whether metals that are not from Scadrial can used by Allomancers/Feruchemists to Invest (or for creating a spike)? Does that mean all metal carries power or interacts with Investiture? Does only Scadrial have access to the rarer allomantic metals like Aluminum, or is it just that they're the only shard advanced enough to process those metals (or the only one that cares)?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Wasn't there an knife that was described as probably-aluminum-but-the-locals-don't-know-the-word in Stormlight? Didn't Moash stab Tanavast with it and it did something bad to his investiture/immortality because of the properties of aluminum?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

that knife was golden in color

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

Wasn't there an knife that was described as probably-aluminum-but-the-locals-don't-know-the-word in Stormlight? Didn't Moash stab Tanavast with it and it did something bad to his investiture/immortality because of the properties of aluminum?

that knife was used on Jezrien and described as bright gold/yellowish-white, leading to the speculation that it's probably odium's godmetal (given his gold color theme).

there's also a big sapphire in it which is the specific gemstone that corresponds to Jezrien's order, and the gem glows. so it's probably combination of mysterious-probably-godmetal and the gem

i think within the rules as described so far, aluminum would explicitly not work ever to do something like this, since it's entirely inert and pretty much magical lead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Cadmium breath storage means the ability to oxygenate your blood. Biochromatic Breath is a form of Investiture and would fall under nicrosil.

My question is whether metals that are not from Scadrial can used by Allomancers/Feruchemists to Invest (or for creating a spike)? Does that mean all metal carries power or interacts with Investiture? Does only Scadrial have access to the rarer allomantic metals like Aluminum, or is it just that they're the only shard advanced enough to process those metals (or the only one that cares)?

The power of Allomancy is purely the power of Preservation. You only need to burn metals to get access to Preservation's power, the metals themselves have no power. They are simply the key to access Allomancy, with your spiritual DNA (Allomancer) being the keyhole so to speak.

Taldain was advanced enough to have guns before Khriss left the planet, which was a few hundred years or so before the events of the first Mistborn trilogy. So they are surely at least as advanced as the Scadrians. Brandon made no mention of certain metals being restricted to certain planets (except the god metals naturally). And there exists a metal that things can be soulcast into, but which can't be soulcast itself. And on Sel, Ralkalest is an extremely rare metal that can't be Forged. Both are obviously Aluminum. As is Nightblood's sheath, meaning that at least some people of Nalthis must have access to that metal.

And metals in general must be of some kind of significance in the Cosmere. Wyndle tells Lift that he can manifest as any form they want, but it must be metal. And silver also has special properties on Silence's world.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

eke out posted:

that knife was used on Jezrien and described as bright gold/yellowish-white, leading to the speculation that it's probably odium's godmetal (given his gold color theme).

there's also a big sapphire in it which is the specific gemstone that corresponds to Jezrien's order, and the gem glows. so it's probably combination of mysterious-probably-godmetal and the gem

i think within the rules as described so far, aluminum would explicitly not work ever to do something like this, since it's entirely inert and pretty much magical lead.

Yeah, I was thinking of Nightblood, which has an Aluminum scabbard, which seems to block its magic. My point was that some materials seem to have inherent magic-interacting properties regardless of what kind of world or magic they're interacting with.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The shardblade guards that show up when Renarin starts his plate and blade training seem to be aluminum. That's the only appearance of aluminum on Roshar that I can remember.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fezz posted:

The shardblade guards that show up when Renarin starts his plate and blade training seem to be aluminum. That's the only appearance of aluminum on Roshar that I can remember.

yeah, as I believe sanderson has said, aluminum is extremely rare when you need to find it from natural sources, but it starts to become easy for societies to manufacture it as technology progresses and there's going to be huge consequences for power-users when that happens. wax/wayne are already seeing the beginning of that, but even there it's not as ubiquitous as it will be relatively shortly when their tech gets just a little better

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Torrannor posted:

The power of Allomancy is purely the power of Preservation. You only need to burn metals to get access to Preservation's power, the metals themselves have no power. They are simply the key to access Allomancy, with your spiritual DNA (Allomancer) being the keyhole so to speak.

Taldain was advanced enough to have guns before Khriss left the planet, which was a few hundred years or so before the events of the first Mistborn trilogy. So they are surely at least as advanced as the Scadrians. Brandon made no mention of certain metals being restricted to certain planets (except the god metals naturally). And there exists a metal that things can be soulcast into, but which can't be soulcast itself. And on Sel, Ralkalest is an extremely rare metal that can't be Forged. Both are obviously Aluminum. As is Nightblood's sheath, meaning that at least some people of Nalthis must have access to that metal.

And metals in general must be of some kind of significance in the Cosmere. Wyndle tells Lift that he can manifest as any form they want, but it must be metal. And silver also has special properties on Silence's world.

Thank you for having a much better grasp on this stuff. So I guess metal has significance across the entire cosmere.

So that probably makes the Bands of Mourning the single most powerful item ever, if they can store more than just the Lord Ruler's Investiture abilities and then recharge them with compounding. I mean they're already god-mode anyway but what if you could store Breath in them and then multiply those Breaths via Compounding? Or would it simply store the ability of the user to contain Breath and Compounding would just extend the duration of the ability? Either way the Investiture hacking at the end of Bands of Mourning was very confusing (but fascinating).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

On one hand I want to read it, but on the otherhand I don't want to have to wait over a year for the rest of it :ohdear:

:same:

I’m gonna skip it, don’t like reading sample chapters before the full book is out

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fezz posted:

The shardblade guards seem to be something different--they somehow mold or change to fit the shape of the blades (since every shardblade is different). It's unclear what they are. I think aluminum resists the magical cutting of shardblades, but not the physical cutting of an incredibly sharp, unbreakably hard blade.

The mentions of aluminum in stormlight I remember:
-There are aluminum soulcasters out there (unclear who has them), but it can't be soulcast (or at least it would be very, very hard)
-Shallan's aluminum necklace
-Hoid brought aluminum sheets

Taravangian mentions that people say there's a light metal that falls from the sky that can supposedly blocks shardblades. At first I assumed this was aluminum, but reading the series a second time made it clear that this made no sense, as there is a robust aluminum economy. I wonder if this is related to a god metal, and if maybe it's what the blade guards are made from?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Slanderer posted:

The shardblade guards seem to be something different--they somehow mold or change to fit the shape of the blades (since every shardblade is different). It's unclear what they are. I think aluminum resists the magical cutting of shardblades, but not the physical cutting of an incredibly sharp, unbreakably hard blade.

The mentions of aluminum in stormlight I remember:
-There are aluminum soulcasters out there (unclear who has them), but it can't be soulcast (or at least it would be very, very hard)
-Shallan's aluminum necklace
-Hoid brought aluminum sheets

Taravangian mentions that people say there's a light metal that falls from the sky that can supposedly blocks shardblades. At first I assumed this was aluminum, but reading the series a second time made it clear that this made no sense, as there is a robust aluminum economy. I wonder if this is related to a god metal, and if maybe it's what the blade guards are made from?

God metals would be native to the planet. Aluminum not being trapped in bauxite(it's ore) would be possible in a meteorite, and would be a lot easier to work with so the sky metal is probably that. I honestly have no idea what the shardguards would be.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
The most recent WoB on this:

Oathbringer Edinburgh signing (Dec. 2, 2017) posted:

Questioner

You know the sparring guards, for the Shardblade training, the guards they put on the Shardblades. Are they made of aluminum?

Brandon Sanderson

So, they are not. Peter will not let me make them made out of aluminum. He's my continuity editor, he keeps me honest. I tried to get them to be aluminum, but there are reasons why they can't be. So we had to make them their own weird little thing, unfortunately. But you could make a sheath out of aluminum for a Shardblade that would work.

He keeps me honest, so it's good, but I did try to fit them in that way.

Link: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/261/#e8780

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

seaborgium posted:

God metals would be native to the planet. Aluminum not being trapped in bauxite(it's ore) would be possible in a meteorite, and would be a lot easier to work with so the sky metal is probably that. I honestly have no idea what the shardguards would be.

There's no reason I see why there couldn't be god metal in orbit, especially since there's something weird about the moons of roshar. But I would think that the effects of shardblades on aluminum would be known on Roshar, since while aluminum is expensive, it can still be manufactured by soulcasting and so can't be *that* rare. Even more, it would have to be known well enough that someone would identify the metal in the meteorites simply because it couldn't be soulcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1169279471712497664