Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Doctor Sleep is really bad, and arguably barely a Shining sequel outside of the protagonist and the general world it takes place in. It doesn't really expand on or illuminate the original book in any meaningful ways, and has one of the most notable instances of Spooky Steve dropping the ball hard-core during the finale when something meaningfully-related to The Shining is just painfully there for the taking fails to occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm showing Elvira, Mistress of the Dark tonight for Spooky Night.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

King was doing the interconnected world thing for his entire career so I don't know why Dr. Sleep gets to be a sequel to The Shining any more than Dreamcatcher or Insomnia get to be sequels to It.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just showed a friend Return of the Living Dead for the first time and after she immediately said "I finally understand horror."

Which is only valid response after seeing Return of the Living Dead for the first time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So what you're saying is you got laid.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sigher posted:

So what you're saying is you got laid.

That's Return of the Living Dead 3.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That checks out. "I finally understand horror" is what my girlfriend said after we slept together the first time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lurdiak posted:

King was doing the interconnected world thing for his entire career so I don't know why Dr. Sleep gets to be a sequel to The Shining any more than Dreamcatcher or Insomnia get to be sequels to It.

I think at some point I decided that if the story takes place in New England and doesn't end in global apocalypse then its all a sequel or spinoff or something.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I think at some point I decided that if the story takes place in New England and doesn't end in global apocalypse then its all a sequel or spinoff or something.
I think you're qualifying it too much.

Randal Flagg shows up in a few pieces.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i will never forgive Stephen King for the Dark Tower ending. Never. im so mad I'm not even gonna see it part 2!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

True. I mean he specifically wrote two books that have nothing to do with each other to just write same characters in different dimensions or something.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Escape Room was pretty entertaining. Fun and creative for most of the running with a lame ending. Horror movies in general have trouble with their endings since they are usually endlessly setting up sequels and this was no exception, but there was no real way to wrap up a premise like this in a way that made any real sense at all.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

STAC Goat posted:

True. I mean he specifically wrote two books that have nothing to do with each other to just write same characters in different dimensions or something.

I've read a lot of King but very few of his books are as dire as Song Of Susannah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

el oso posted:

Escape Room was pretty entertaining. Fun and creative for most of the running with a lame ending. Horror movies in general have trouble with their endings since they are usually endlessly setting up sequels and this was no exception, but there was no real way to wrap up a premise like this in a way that made any real sense at all.

The sequel they set up is like some super ambitious Now You See Me type stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8uRjyMmFpI

We're officially one month away from October, and one month away from the start of another Scream Stream, which means it's time to announce this year's theme.

The theme this year is International Horror. I'll be showing horror movies exclusively made outside the US and the UK, to showcase what the rest of the world has to contribute to the genre.

If you have any suggestions of which foreign film I should show, PM me on SA or in Discord, or email me at JigsawJonahJameson@gmail.com. Please, don't recommend Italian films, there are more than enough options on that front.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tart Kitty posted:

I've read a lot of King but very few of his books are as dire as Song Of Susannah.

I'm behind on the Dark Towers. I was talking about Regulators/Desperation.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I'm behind on the Dark Towers. I was talking about Regulators/Desperation.

Ohhhh

I like Desperation, warts and all

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Theatre Of Blood owns. leaning into how the villain is a bonkers melodramatic over-actor and then having Price deliver all these insane monologues is terrific. the party scene where he's mocked and delivering a monologue from the other side of the glass is actually super poignant and incredible as well.

tomorrow: Horror Express!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The sequel they set up is like some super ambitious Now You See Me type stuff.

It really is and I don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So my wife and I are doing a double feature of The People Under the Stairs and US tomorrow night to kick off the the horror movie season.

Two questions:

1) Any good shorts anyone recommends with this pairing besides that one Twilight Zone episode?

2) Are there any other horror movies besides Poltergeist, The People Under the Stairs, and The Stepfather that so directly cast Regan/Reganomics as its villain?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

So my wife and I are doing a double feature of The People Under the Stairs and US tomorrow night to kick off the the horror movie season.

Two questions:

1) Any good shorts anyone recommends with this pairing besides that one Twilight Zone episode?

PIG is a good short film that pairs well with any horror movies because it stars Rozz Williams and if your audience doesn't like it do you really wanna be watching movies with people who don't like Rozz Williams?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sigher posted:

It really is and I don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

I love a good over the top sequel hook. I was trying to puzzle out whether they were trying to turn it into a TV series or just another movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Two questions:

2) Are there any other horror movies besides Poltergeist, The People Under the Stairs, and The Stepfather that so directly cast Regan/Reganomics as its villain?

American Psycho

The human antagonist in Munchies is an unrepentant capitalist.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I saw a screening of Bill Mosely's new film, Crepitus, last night, and it's wildly good. It's low budget, and has some weird pacing, but his character is one of the creepier things I've seen in recent years. If you see it screening around you, check it out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I saw a screening of Bill Mosely's new film, Crepitus, last night, and it's wildly good. It's low budget, and has some weird pacing, but his character is one of the creepier things I've seen in recent years. If you see it screening around you, check it out.

Honestly all you have to do is tell me Bill Moseley's in a movie and I'll see it. Can't wait for this one! Seeing the premiere of 3 From Hell soon and so excited for him to come back as Otis.

Fun fact about Bill: He's also a musician! He sings in a group called Cornbugs with Buckethead.

(HE'S ALSO IN EVIL BONG)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

Two questions:

Society is the perfect movie to pair with those two films if you want to make it a triple header.

el oso posted:

The best way to wrap up the premise would have been to end the film with Zoey in the warehouse looking at the No Way Out graffiti. It's just the right place to stop. It's creepy, it's unsettling, and it's open ended enough to set up a sequel while still feeling like a good stopping point. If the movie had finished right there Escape Room would be one of my favorite modern horror movies, but instead it kept going and wore out its welcome with all that airplane bullshit and a much less subtle and lamer sequel hook. Still a great movie right up until the very end though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Society is the perfect movie
fixed that for you

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't know why I was under the impression that I had never watched Sleepaway Camp 2 before, because I totally have

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't have time to catch Midsommar in theaters the first time around so I'm catching the director's cut tonight in a Ready or Not double feature. Probably a v bad idea.

At least Ready or Not is first and blissfully short.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't have time to catch Midsommar in theaters the first time around so I'm catching the director's cut tonight in a Ready or Not double feature. Probably a v bad idea.

At least Ready or Not is first and blissfully short.

drat have a fun 5-6 hours

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Here's a SCORCHING HOT Kvlt! TAKE™ A24 hasn't distributed that many good HORROR movies. They've made some great ones (The Blackcoat's Daughter, the VVitch, Under the Skin...and I think that's it?). I don't consider Green Room (thriller) or The Killing Of A Sacred Deer (tar-black comedy) horror.

Personally I think the reason "A24-orror" as I call it is so popular is because it's more well made than the PG-13 garbage Blumhouse has been pumping out for years, so by comparison a lot of the movies are good, but in a vacuum they don't hold up.

Now if you're looking for DRAMAS, A24 is distributing literally some of the best dramas I've ever seen: Good Time, First Reformed, and A Prayer Before Dawn are all movies I would say are essential viewing to any film fan.

I'm bored somebody argue with me about this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ready or Not is a lot of fun, even though it doesn't quite stick the landing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Here's a SCORCHING HOT Kvlt! TAKE™ A24 hasn't distributed that many good HORROR movies. They've made some great ones (The Blackcoat's Daughter, the VVitch, Under the Skin...and I think that's it?). I don't consider Green Room (thriller) or The Killing Of A Sacred Deer (tar-black comedy) horror.

Personally I think the reason "A24-orror" as I call it is so popular is because it's more well made than the PG-13 garbage Blumhouse has been pumping out for years, so by comparison a lot of the movies are good, but in a vacuum they don't hold up.

Now if you're looking for DRAMAS, A24 is distributing literally some of the best dramas I've ever seen: Good Time, First Reformed, and A Prayer Before Dawn are all movies I would say are essential viewing to any film fan.

I'm bored somebody argue with me about this.
I mean you forgot about Midsommar and Hereditary. They also have the Lighthouse coming out later this year.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

No argument here. I don’t hate your take, Kvlt, despite the fact Hereditary is a masterpiece.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'd call High Life horror

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
So I watched Bye Bye Man since it was brought up so much as being bad and, yeah, okay it's bad. I liked the opening scene and a few moments in the last half hour but that's about it. Kind of a waste of time, but not enough of one to make me regret watching it. Some of the plot basics could be rebuilt into fun ideas. There have already been sound and thought-based/transmitted threat movies but I think there's room to grow.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'd call High Life horror

So, the champagne of horror?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like when people separate horror. Every genre is a horror

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Life is horror, and therefore everything that happens within it is horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Exactly. The Hottie and the Nottie is for sure horror.

(Yes I did listen to HDTGM rn)