Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I love mackerel but when it's packed in olive oil it makes me poop like crazy which can be either good or bad. All dem oils n such do a body good

e: I don't like chub mackerel the stuff that comes in big rear end cans with a buncha bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Which one of you is leaving your sardine tins in the street near my apartment. I want to meet the true dad-goon that eats dines while walking down the street and then tosses the can.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
you should set a trap and put a few unopened cans there and set up a wild game camera

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

crazypeltast52 posted:

Which one of you is leaving your sardine tins in the street near my apartment. I want to meet the true dad-goon that eats dines while walking down the street and then tosses the can.

You can't make me stop. The fish is like Samson's locks for me.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Honky Dong Country posted:

You can't make me stop. The fish is like Samson's locks for me.

I’m not saying stop, I’m saying PM me bro so we can sardine walk around like King Oscar intended.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

crazypeltast52 posted:

I’m not saying stop, I’m saying PM me bro so we can sardine walk around like King Oscar intended.

By His royal decree

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Picked up a jumbo can of Polar sardines in juice and peppers. Ate it with a side of Aldi braunschweiger. Dog was a bit overly enthusiastic.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

MetaJew posted:

By His royal decree

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This good boy deserves some fish.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what the christ, the mustard sauce in beach cliff sardines with mustard sauce is just... mustard powder and water. it tastes like dirt

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
Hello sardine goons so I have a few different asian grocery stores in my area stocked with many different kind of sardine brands and I have been working my way through them and none of them of course can match the royalty of King Oscars but I recently tried this one:

and while it's the larger filet style they are very tasty and probably my second favorite after KO of the dozen or so brands I've tried. If you ever see them for sale try them out!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'd pass on those at first glance because of the corn oil. Does it have a heavy taste?

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
The sardines were pretty tightly packed in the jar so there really wasn't too much oil, and they didn't seem heavier than any of the olive oil packed ones I've had. There's also a couple small chunks of veggies and I think a bay leaf in there which is the Spanish styling. Overall pretty tender and tasty and I ate them over the sink proudly.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah corn oil seems odd. Can't say I've ever seen that.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
When I was a little kid I liked to eat these crackers called Uneeda Biscuits but they stopped making them a long time ago. They're thicker than regular crackers. But I saw these Goya crackers at the store and got em and they're basically the same as Uneeda Biscuits and I'm telling you this because they are perfect for eating with sardines. Just thought you guys would like to know.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We're about to get hit with Hurricane Dorian (probably on Tuesday), so I'm cooking all my perishables but ready to bust out the sardines, since we'll almost certainly lose power. I have a big collection of mostly spicy Canario sardinillas and King Oscar Double-Layer jalapeno 'dines, but I've been saving some new ones:

Nuri (from Portugal) -- spicy
Sultan (from Morocco) -- regular AND spicy
Wel-Pac (from Thailand) -- Szechuan sauce (so probably spicy)
Matiz (from Spain) -- with sweet piquillo peppers

Has anyone had any of those?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We're about to get hit with Hurricane Dorian (probably on Tuesday), so I'm cooking all my perishables but ready to bust out the sardines, since we'll almost certainly lose power. I have a big collection of mostly spicy Canario sardinillas and King Oscar Double-Layer jalapeno 'dines, but I've been saving some new ones:

Wel-Pac (from Thailand) -- Szechuan sauce (so probably spicy)
Matiz (from Spain) -- with sweet piquillo peppers

I’ve had the Matiz ones and they’re really good

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

hifi posted:

what the christ, the mustard sauce in beach cliff sardines with mustard sauce is just... mustard powder and water. it tastes like dirt

The worst flavor by the worst brand. Roastbeef probably remembers getting home from school one day and just finding a tin of those on a table with a note from his mom.

e:

Mr. Dick likes those for variety. Good quality 'dine, smooth though a little hot.

Mr. Dick fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 2, 2019

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I made steamed buns today for my leftover steak. Now I’m coming home from the bar and have leftover steamed buns. Do I put the sardines in the steamed buns?

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Also Wel-Pac (from Thailand) -- Szechuan sauce (so probably spicy)

Lathespin.gif posted:

:getin:

e: nice fat little fishes, not really spicy though

They're really nice, more spiced than hot, a personal fave.

I haven't had that exact wel-pac tin, but these ones are good:

And holy moly these broiled mackerel ones are goddamn great, I gotta find more:

e:

crazypeltast52 posted:

I made steamed buns today for my leftover steak. Now I’m coming home from the bar and have leftover steamed buns. Do I put the sardines in the steamed buns?

Should you maybe toast them a bit first? Might work better with oily fishes, if a bit strange to do to steamed buns, idk?

Also yes, dooo itttt

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 2, 2019

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I would like to introduce my new girlfriend

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
"sardine titties" was not something i woke up this morning expecting to see

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
well helllloooooooo there good lookin' :coolfish:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

inviting all the dads over for a jo sesh around the sardine tin

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Rozzbot posted:

I would like to introduce my new girlfriend

:eyepop:

That sure is a thing.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Lathespin.gif posted:

Should you maybe toast them a bit first? Might work better with oily fishes, if a bit strange to do to steamed buns, idk?

Also yes, dooo itttt

Microwaved the buns, then applied little fishies with mustard and hot sauce. It was a good sardine bun!

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
How do I sardine?
What to eat it with?

nut
Jul 30, 2019

vuk83 posted:

How do I sardine?
What to eat it with?

you could eat it with a roll
or with rice packed in a bowl

eat it with some leafy greens
or even with a can a beans

or just eat it from the tin
eat sardines 2 let god in

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

vuk83 posted:

How do I sardine?
What to eat it with?

paging naem to post an instructional gif on how to sardine

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

vuk83 posted:

How do I sardine?
What to eat it with?

With hot sauce and a fork over the sink at 3 am.

channel z
Aug 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Anchovies are the thinking man's sardine. I've been into making Scotch Woodcock lately, I've never actually had a real one before since i'm American and live in the south, but I can make a lightly scrambled egg and add cayenne pepper and some pickapeppa and other spices and put it on toast and lay a lattice of anchovies on top.

I highly recommend this, but I'll eat anchovies the way some of you guys eat sardines, so maybe I'm nuts.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

channel z posted:

Anchovies are the thinking man's sardine. I've been into making Scotch Woodcock lately, I've never actually had a real one before since i'm American and live in the south, but I can make a lightly scrambled egg and add cayenne pepper and some pickapeppa and other spices and put it on toast and lay a lattice of anchovies on top.

I highly recommend this, but I'll eat anchovies the way some of you guys eat sardines, so maybe I'm nuts.

Anchovies are super good on pizza but I’ve only ever had them like that or dried in Thai dishes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Anchovies are a little too salty for me to eat by themselves. Even just on a cracker it's so salty my head hurts afterwards.

In dishes though, anchovies rule.

Now to mix anchovies with sardines for maximum effect.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentleman%27s_Relish

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you every get blackout drunk and eat sardines? it whips rear end

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tonight's dinner is Belveder smoked sprats in oil. Eaten right out of the can over the sink in my pajamas. Great flavor overall. Oil would be best as a base for a salad dressing, which I plan on making with some fresh greens next time.

naem
May 29, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

paging naem to post an instructional gif on how to sardine

crazypeltast52 posted:

With hot sauce and a fork over the sink at 3 am.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

vuk83 posted:

How do I sardine?
What to eat it with?

coleman mustard powder is pretty good, cocktail sauce is fine too

sometimes I'll put a little on a cracker with some goat cheese

illy
Jul 13, 2019

channel z posted:

You eat the salty kind or the unsalty kind that are similarly packaged to 'dines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Toasted up some anchovies