Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i never knew that it was based on some dudes are. id honestly buy a print of some of that stuff.

this. its loving amazing and great and all the other positive words.

also it made one of my favorite moron hot takes articles happen.

https://medium.com/@BootlegGirl/night-in-the-woods-a-rebirth-of-graphic-adventure-games-and-trumpian-propaganda-in-disguise-34ef70e1ccf0

apparently unions are trump. its such a bad loving misreading.

Wow, that's a loving nuclear hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow, that's a loving nuclear hot take.

yeah. its the worst non chud video game i have seen thats not a tweet. like its just so baffling.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. its loving amazing and great and all the other positive words.

also it made one of my favorite moron hot takes articles happen.

https://medium.com/@BootlegGirl/night-in-the-woods-a-rebirth-of-graphic-adventure-games-and-trumpian-propaganda-in-disguise-34ef70e1ccf0

apparently unions are trump. its such a bad loving misreading.
As someone who really likes unions it should be noted that a lot the strongest unions in this country (which is a relative term) are fairly insular and reactionary and by and large out for themselves. Unfortunately we live in a country where there is no mass solidarity with the unions.

Literalman
Jul 31, 2019

rudecyrus posted:

Todd has a new Trainwreckords on his Patreon, and it's about Robin Thicke's "Paula".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEsaIodO0YU
And it is now out on YouTube.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kevin Hart is in critical condition after a nasty car accident. :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
appropriate name for the car.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is it BTS? because thats the only K-pop group i know and thats only because it has a acronym of a pet i have.

"Keem" claims that K-Pop accounts will slide 'stan BTS/Red Velvet/Twice/whomever' under 'important' trending hashtags AND MUST BE STOPPED IT IS VERY IMPORTANT. This is the most I've ever looked into Keemstar and I feel dumber the more I do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

"Keem" claims that K-Pop accounts will slide 'stan BTS/Red Velvet/Twice/whomever' under 'important' trending hashtags AND MUST BE STOPPED IT IS VERY IMPORTANT. This is the most I've ever looked into Keemstar and I feel dumber the more I do.

i don't even know him either but i have read enough of his twitter that i hate him.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Glad Strucci and Bomberguy returned for another SCANLINE. I must admit I've held a quiet melancholy that there would only be one SCANLINE, but this next edition filled my heart with joy.

Also love the new Trainwreckords by Todd. I laughed out loud at the Jungle Fever gag. Yeah, of course Robin Thicke would sing the worse Stevie Wonder song to serenade his future wife, what a square.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Who would've guessed that "the Beetlejuice weirdo Miley twerked on" would end up being the peak of Robin Thicke's career

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Keemstar is terrible but kpop stans are maybe some of the worst people on earth, so i'm torn here

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm sorry i might have completely lost track of what this thread is for

what does Kevin Hart have anything to do with this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Keemstar is terrible but kpop stans are maybe some of the worst people on earth, so i'm torn here

how bad are they? i don't know dick about kpop fanatics. i assume they are weird sex monsters.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Alaois posted:

i'm sorry i might have completely lost track of what this thread is for

what does Kevin Hart have anything to do with this?
Sorry I didn't know where else to put this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how bad are they? i don't know dick about kpop fanatics. i assume they are weird sex monsters.

I actually don't doubt they're doing what Keemstar says - using hashtags to promote their favorite bands - but at the same time Keemstar as the self-appointed Perez Hilton of Internet Drama disgusts me on a fundamental level like him just recently trying to butt into the ProJared thing with "I KNEW HIS WIFE WAS A LYING WORD I CAN'T SAY ON TWITTER BECAUSE I NEED CLICKS OR WILL TURN TO BONE AND ASH LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE." To be fair some of the bands' fans are super obnoxious on their own, particularly BTS' or the 'Army' as they call their fanclub.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I actually don't doubt they're doing what Keemstar says - using hashtags to promote their favorite bands - but at the same time Keemstar as the self-appointed Perez Hilton of Internet Drama disgusts me on a fundamental level like him just recently trying to butt into the ProJared thing with "I KNEW HIS WIFE WAS A LYING WORD I CAN'T SAY ON TWITTER BECAUSE I NEED CLICKS OR WILL TURN TO BONE AND ASH LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE." To be fair some of the bands' fans are super obnoxious on their own, particularly BTS' or the 'Army' as they call their fanclub.

https://tenor.com/view/blue-bluetongueskink-snake-hisss-gif-11823303

BTS is bored with Keemstar

anyway. Joker got reviewed at venice and apperently its pretty well liked and its pretty good over all. but already seeing twitter react badly to that news because it might make the incels shoot things up and how its a movie makes responsibility not to make stuff like that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 2, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

anyway. Joker got reviewed at venice and apperently its pretty well liked and its pretty good over all. but already seeing twitter react badly to that news because it might make the incels shoot things up and how its a movie makes responsibility not to make stuff like that.

I'm more seeing people mocking it for being a lovely looking movie that treats the joker as a serious character which is, literally, the opposite of what things should be. There's just a few Mother Jones types being all 'but incels' and mostly Twitter just going 'man this Joker guy, he thinks crime is funny! Twisted!' as a joke.

Also man I've been rewatching the JelloApocolypse Price is Right video like three times today and I laugh hysterically at "there's a bigfoot statue in your yurt" "what, I don't have a yurt! Get my bigfoot statue and get out!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

I'm more seeing people mocking it for being a lovely looking movie that treats the joker as a serious character which is, literally, the opposite of what things should be. There's just a few Mother Jones types being all 'but incels' and mostly Twitter just going 'man this Joker guy, he thinks crime is funny! Twisted!' as a joke.

Also man I've been rewatching the JelloApocolypse Price is Right video like three times today and I laugh hysterically at "there's a bigfoot statue in your yurt" "what, I don't have a yurt! Get my bigfoot statue and get out!"

I just love that "X Box(es) of Crickets" becomes the default currency by the end :allears:.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just love that "X Box(es) of Crickets" becomes the default currency by the end :allears:.

"If you bet just one cent you'll win, but if you also say 'box of crickets' we all win" "I CHOOSE BETRAYAL"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

i don't mind a different shot at the interpretation of the character and i am curious enough to see it for my self now with the mostly positive reviews.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i got the price right because thats usually how much i pay for crickets. thats maybe 2 weeks or so worth.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why is nobody talking about the beautiful promise that is Star Trek Animated Manic Episodes???

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just think Joker is a very boring character to focus on. poo poo like Killing Joke isn't 'about' Joker, he's infact not very present in it, I don't know why people keep trying to make him a focus in Batman poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Why is nobody talking about the beautiful promise that is Star Trek Animated Manic Episodes???

you mean the animated series? yeah it was weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhYnaHzpHNk

or the one where they hang out with the devil.

sexpig by night posted:

I just think Joker is a very boring character to focus on. poo poo like Killing Joke isn't 'about' Joker, he's infact not very present in it, I don't know why people keep trying to make him a focus in Batman poo poo.

i don't diagree with that. i mean animated series and arkham joker were my favorites. i just want to see taxi driver/king of comedy + the joker, plus i like the art style. i also just roll my eyes at twitter and article hot takes like its the next moral loving panic.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

the entire point of joker's character is as a dark reflection of batman. i honestly think that TKJ is kind of an underwhelming joker story, though its a pretty good batman one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you mean the animated series? yeah it was weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhYnaHzpHNk

or the one where they hang out with the devil.

Also Quetzalcoatl. They'd just bounce around religions. It's more fun when you don't need to worry about budget.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Also Quetzalcoatl. They'd just bounce around religions. It's more fun when you don't need to worry about budget.

wait i thought chilling with quetzalcoatl was the jackie chan adventures

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

D-do they not know all that "Gamers Rise UP" stuff is satire?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There’s already been one joker-inspired incel mass shooter. Now that they have spent years cultivating clownish nihilism as their aesthetic, there is cause for concern imo. Also there have been a million movies about strained alienated white men who snap under the pressure but oh you can sympathize with their special pain. On the other hand, 1979-1983 is extremely my aesthetic and I love a good grimy cityscape, so I want to see it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm excited for the movie but mostly because it's set in Sidney Lumet Gotham and that rules

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

On the other hand, 1979-1983 is extremely my aesthetic and I love a good grimy cityscape, so I want to see it.

Hell yeah!!!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

go search kpop or BTS on tumblr and feel the pure horror wash over you

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s already been one joker-inspired incel mass shooter.

You know that the whole "James Holmes wanted to be the Joker" thing is complete horseshit, right? He liked Batman and had some batmerch in his home, but the whole joker angle came from some guy he'd called before the shooting being led by some journalists, Holmes himself never claimed anything of the sort and it never came up in court.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neo_Crimson posted:

D-do they not know all that "Gamers Rise UP" stuff is satire?

The subreddit where that came from is starting to become slowly unironic though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zedd posted:

The subreddit where that came from is starting to become slowly unironic though.

I thought it was Tim Buckley-esq 'nerd trying desperately to be taken seriously' while not being intimidating at all.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I just thought it's all super forced and unfunny.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I enjoyed this but i watched the This Is America and Lil Nas X videos after this and he is just really bad when it comes to black artists and while I can understand why a non black dude would feel awkward talking about race he seems to kinda half rear end it which is worse.

I can see why This Is America mostly went over his head (like he talks about the gospel choir and sees no parallel between that and the church shooting, instead thinking it's about vapid sings, which is why the lyrics are what they are not that particular scene) but For example in the Old Town Road he talks about black people posting on Twitter about the history of country excluding us despite coming from the blues and says "They're wrong but kinda right" and doesn't extrapolate on what was actually said and why they're wrong?? It's incredibly frustrating

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

I just thought it's all super forced and unfunny.

“now you understand,” said Grimy Joker, “why I wear this makeup... but the question remains... am i laughing, or am I crying?? for as the poet says: ‘if I laugh at any mortal thing, ‘tis that I may not weep.’ pretty hosed up, huh? but less hosed up than society, in this volcel’s opinion”

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

This is America is easily one of the worst episodes Todd has done just because he has jack all to say about it, I’m honestly still at a loss as to why he even made the video. Todd is at his best when doing his more historically oriented videos rather than current stuff.

I also think his format is getting pretty stale at this point, like everyone else I watch has been pushing the medium of video essays/reviews forward in someway by trying new stuff and different presentation formats (and copying Contrapoints a lot) while Todd’s been using largely the same format for his videos for almost a decade now.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1166602056213417987?s=19
Jenny has an extremely good take on the Jarred situation.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LeafyOrb posted:

I also think his format is getting pretty stale at this point, like everyone else I watch has been pushing the medium of video essays/reviews forward in someway by trying new stuff and different presentation formats (and copying Contrapoints a lot) while Todd’s been using largely the same format for his videos for almost a decade now.

I agree with this. I still enjoy Trainwreckords and One Hit Wonderland, but I don't really get excited for new content from him like I used to since it's seeming more like he doesn't have a lot to offer other than shallow critique and fairly easy jokes. That's fine, but it's making him seem dated when compared to people who release one video a month and I'm always excited because they are more interesting and put more effort into their analysis.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
It is 2019 and people are concerned about a comic book movie. A super duper serious comic book movie with swears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A new Jimquistion just dropped!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX6kzwUXcd4