Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

PlushCow posted:

What about a cd binder and getting rid of the cases???

Just getting rid of the case? There's a perfectly good cover to cut down into a square so it can go into the CD sleeve as well.

Just did it for all my Criterions, and now onto my steelbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Just getting rid of the case? There's a perfectly good cover to cut down into a square so it can go into the CD sleeve as well.

Just did it for all my Criterions, and now onto my steelbooks.

This thread is the opposite of a forum I read regarding blu ray releases. It's amazingly refreshing to read about people doing this with collections vs being angry the blu ray didn't come with a slip cover.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Oh we definitely get a nice mix of both.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Spacebump posted:

This thread is the opposite of a forum I read regarding blu ray releases. It's amazingly refreshing to read about people doing this with collections vs being angry the blu ray didn't come with a slip cover.
Pretty sure he was kidding about cutting up steelcases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Casimir Radon posted:

Pretty sure he was kidding about cutting up steelcases.

Pffft, look at this guy who doesn't own a pair of metal shears to cut down blu-ray steel books.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I toss the discs and keep the cases for display

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I take all my blurays out of the case and put them in a bunch of numbered cd jewel cases which I keep in a big file cabinet with a binder of what film corresponds to which number

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Redeem the digital code and toss the rest imo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Have you considered being alone forever? I'm doing that and it's working great.

It is not working great.

I have a roommate that works retail, it works good for nights alone and nights with someone. Also, cats are good friends

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't do binders but I toss slip covers immediately. Though I do the same with books so I'm just a monster in general.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

I don't do binders but I toss slip covers immediately. Though I do the same with books so I'm just a monster in general.

What is wrong with you!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Whenever I see a book without a dust cover at a thrift store I think to myself what kind of a monster owned this? Well now I know.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Iron Crowned posted:

Also, cats are good friends

Hell yeah

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm Marie Kondo's worst nightmare.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a couple purchase some Blus and they asked if I would re-use the cases. I can (we replace beat up cases with cleaner ones), so I said yes, so they took the discs and left.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I had a couple purchase some Blus and they asked if I would re-use the cases. I can (we replace beat up cases with cleaner ones), so I said yes, so they took the discs and left.

Their entire movie collection probably consists of three reused 100-pack DVD spindles. It’s the most space-efficient way!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

You should have spit in their faces.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

CPL593H posted:

Pffft, look at this guy who doesn't own a pair of metal shears to cut down blu-ray steel books.

Once you've cut one in half, tape it up with some duct tape, and you've got yourself a couple of disc pockets that you can squeeze a bunch of discs into. Just make sure you keep them right side up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Once you've cut one in half, tape it up with some duct tape, and you've got yourself a couple of disc pockets that you can squeeze a bunch of discs into. Just make sure you keep them right side up.

If you put petroleum jelly in the pockets the discs will slide in and out easier.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

If you put petroleum jelly in the pockets the discs will slide in and out easier.

Yeah, but you'll need to remember to wipe them down with a paper towel before viewing.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, but you'll need to remember to wipe them down with a paper towel before viewing.

No, you gently caress the discs. You only watch the digital copies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

No, you gently caress the discs. You only watch the digital copies.

Hold on. You actually watch movies? That's loving creepy.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Hold on. You actually watch movies? That's loving creepy.

How else can I get erect enough to plow my carefully curated binder collection without watching Salo?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

How else can I get erect enough to plow my carefully curated binder collection without watching Salo?

By smashing Crterion blu-ray cases like a normal person.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I just buy blurays for the digital codes, throw the cases away, cut up the covers for collages, and use the discs as coasters.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Can't believe you monsters aren't saving the UPCs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I just buy blurays for the digital codes, throw the cases away, cut up the covers for collages, and use the discs as coasters.

I prefer to use the discs as frisbees at the beach. I usually bring them on one of those big spindles they use to put CD-Rs on because you'll inevitably lose a bunch of them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

By smashing Crterion blu-ray cases like a normal person.

Look at this loving weirdo. You cut out a hole in them, smooth out the edges, fill it with lube and gently caress the cases like a normal person. Take out the booklet though, unless you enjoy papercuts.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CPL593H posted:

I prefer to use the discs as frisbees at the beach. I usually bring them on one of those big spindles they use to put CD-Rs on because you'll inevitably lose a bunch of them.

Why would you waste the spindle in such a way? It's got a flared base and everything.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Put sails on them and race them.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I buy all my movies on 8mm. That way, I get the best quality, no digital compression, and I only have a minimal fire hazard.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cemetry Gator posted:

I buy all my movies on 8mm. That way, I get the best quality, no digital compression, and I only have a minimal fire hazard.

With or without Nick Cage

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If 8mm had been more popular some stupid company like Mondo would have released a very expensive limited edition verison of that movie on 8mm film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

With or without Nick Cage

I don't think he needs Nic Cage there to help him buy anything.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The other day I was looking up posts I made in the SA Mart buyer/seller reviews subforum and it turns out that several years back I bought a DVD from Aatrek.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You're an accessory to a crime.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

You're an accessory to a crime.

The crime I was party to was how little he sold me the already out of print Criterion DVD of the Man Who Fell to Earth for.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Make sure that's what it actually was. We had a creepy guy retire several years ago and the one thing he left in his locker was a VHS tape labeled [Event] 1996. We played it to make sure that's actually what it was.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I saw a tape at the thrift store yesterday marked Super Bowl 2002 and almost bought it just to see if it was anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Make sure that's what it actually was. We had a creepy guy retire several years ago and the one thing he left in his locker was a VHS tape labeled [Event] 1996. We played it to make sure that's actually what it was.

What was really on the tape?