Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xelkelvos posted:

Otoh, it gave us Grilled Cheese by Elmer Fudd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hslqHUqCfPc

Which is weirdly enough one of the only times that series used Elmer at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The Steven Universe and Uncle Grandpa crossover was on and reminded me Uncle Grandpa was a show. Time to forget it again.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Gaunab posted:

The Steven Universe and Uncle Grandpa crossover was on and reminded me Uncle Grandpa was a show. Time to forget it again.

Never forget. In memory of Pizza Steve

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Who?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

drrockso20 posted:

Which is weirdly enough one of the only times that series used Elmer at all

I think he showed up every now and then as a hard hitting news anchor

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think he showed up every now and then as a hard hitting news anchor

Well I meant in a substantial role, those were just very short bits

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

He's Adam Devine as a sentient piece of pizza with sunglasses. He loves motorcycles and being cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If anyone else has been having Zim withdrawals after Florpus, the comics fuckin own

I'm pretty sure each individual issue has made me straight-up belly laugh at least once (usually because of Gaz, who the comics get a weird amount of mileage out of)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

one thing i'm really impressed by these remakes/specials like rocko and zim is how drat close the animation is to the originals. i figured all or most of the people who worked on those either forgot how to animate like that or moved on to other things

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If anyone else has been having Zim withdrawals after Florpus, the comics fuckin own

I'm pretty sure each individual issue has made me straight-up belly laugh at least once (usually because of Gaz, who the comics get a weird amount of mileage out of)

Gaz is basically the one other human character with a personality outside of being stupid and the only person with an outside perspective on Zim and Dib's antagonism, so it makes sense that you can do a lot of plots with her that you wouldn't see for the others.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gaz is basically the one other human character with a personality outside of being stupid and the only person with an outside perspective on Zim and Dib's antagonism, so it makes sense that you can do a lot of plots with her that you wouldn't see for the others.

It also helps that the personality they did give her is a loving goldmine of incredible jokes. Her relentless devotion to being an rear end in a top hat makes me laugh like an idiot every time it comes up, pretty much; she's like if Kahn from King of the Hill was a small child.

e: Speaking of "goldmine of incredible jokes," the way they handle Gir in the comics is wonderful. Instead of the catchphrase machine he is on the show, he's kind of just written like a fairly dumb 5 or 6-year-old. It kind of makes me a little sad in hindsight that Florpus kinda de-emphasized him, because I like this version of the character a lot and they get some really good gags out of him.

Also his human disguise is the cutest thing ever :kimchi:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 2, 2019

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Now that Julia Vickerman has been outed as a pedophile, does that mean Butt Witch was actually the hero of the series?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Labes for days posted:

Now that Julia Vickerman has been outed as a pedophile, does that mean Butt Witch was actually the hero of the series?
Wait what

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

For those who are out of the loop:

https://twitter.com/ElizabethLazuli/status/1167894702428868625

The full Tumblr post is still available at her old Tumblr URL, which was taken over by someone after Vickerman deleted it to spread the word. It is creepy as all gently caress and completely indefensible even as a lovely "joke". Apparently she even tagged the post with #pedophile because I guess she found it amusing or something? I don't loving know. With this and her getting fired from her own show for harassing her own employees it's pretty clear she ain't working on anything ever again.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 2, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

how to describe the noise I just made with my throat

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Well....uh....

Well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

On the one hand, at least there's no direct allegations of wrongdoing, just her being very, very creepy. It's nowhere near as bad as the revelation that the Ren and Stimpy guy was grooming teenagers.

On the other hand, it sure makes you think about the other implications of a show that (on a very shallow surface reading at least) kinda makes a thing out of the value of youth? I also can't find an article about the reasons she was fired in the first place, so I wonder if this was related. And who knows what the future will bring.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/KORinRUSSIA/status/1167909569873334272

:sigh:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Not looking like a pedophile is an important job skill for everybody.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If it helps, she was actually fired early in production and someone else was the show runner for most of it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
she was basically Skyler Page'd (though Clarence had a chunk of season 1 done when Skyler got the boot, while it seems like Julia got kicked out really early on). Ironic, given that some former Clarence writers are also on Twelve Forever

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Taking a wide berth from the Steven Universe thread until I get a chance to watch the movie.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

one thing i'm really impressed by these remakes/specials like rocko and zim is how drat close the animation is to the originals. i figured all or most of the people who worked on those either forgot how to animate like that or moved on to other things

JV has been working on pilots this whole time so he’s actually improved quite a bit. Seriously go back and watch the first few episodes of Invader Zim, it’s still funny but it’s nowhere near as good as Florpus.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, original Zim is kind of hampered by the simple fact that the existing masters for it look like total loving rear end. It's crying out for a remaster of some kind, and while I've made some attempts to touch it up myself with Premiere and After Effects, there's some flaws I can't really get rid of without better source copies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remaster Zim Viacom.

Shout Factory get on that poo poo. I also want new commentaries that aren’t censored. Even if it’s just depriving me of the crew talking about making GBS threads after eating Mexican food while writing scripts

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I am watching the special again and it’s perfect.

Every day I’m shocked and happy that it exists.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
poo poo, I'd happily do it myself with the workflow I've been using if they'd at least put out a non-interlaced SD transfer. The interlacing is what makes it still kinda look assy even after my upscaling work, mostly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a weirdly sad product of the time. Im not gonna poo poo on those DVD's, because my weird rear end almost cried when the employee at Sam Goody(lol) handed it to me, but fo real, they need an update.

Although watching it on VLC, hitting deinterlacing removes that, so maybe you might have to do that plus a screen recording thing with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The problem is that, since the DVDs are way out of print and pretty expensive ($200 for just the DVDs and $400ish for the house, last I saw), I'm using :filez: source material that was encoded with the interlacing intact. If I can get the DVDs I can run them through ffmpeg with the same deinterlacing algorithm VLC uses, and probably crank the bitrate pretty hard compared to what I've already got, but... that requires me to hunt those down and shell out cash.

Maybe this would be worth doing a Patreon for? I dunno.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The problem is that, since the DVDs are way out of print and pretty expensive ($200 for just the DVDs and $400ish for the house)

Dang, I have the house set somewhere still but stupidly I lent out the first dvd to someone and never got it back. :saddowns:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do have all the DVD's, but they're kinda important to me. But I may be able to do what I said for ya, see if it works, and if it does, I'll do every episode.

However, I did see two of them(2-3) for sale at a store that does resell stuff recently for like, 9-10 bucks each, which was surprising. Maybe those are still there, in that case, I might be able to send you physical copies.

I mean, poo poo, it's taken me years to get the old Zim figures back, because those are also ultra expensive. I ended up keeping a lot of them, but most of them broke. I was able to get a a few of them for really cheap. The big eye'd Dib was 100 bucks, I ended up paying 25 for trading an old Moonraker shuttle model.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 3, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s Disc 1 I’m missing, annoyingly, but thanks!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

A running joke in our house is me telling my husband I married him for his Invader Zim collection. The house has a lil Gir in the roof. :3:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The_Doctor posted:

It’s Disc 1 I’m missing, annoyingly, but thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Invader-Zi...S%21-1&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Invader-Zi...lc1tdO&LH_BIN=1

This one has Andy Berman on it only. Sorry, all characters sound like dib now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, that's good to know! Thanks! Whenever I find the House set again, I'll buy one!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Haha, wow, I didn't realize my Invader Zim house set was worth that much. This is like when I found out my Evangelion Platinum DVDs were worth a bunch too. Weird the kinda things that end up being rare.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The problem is that, since the DVDs are way out of print and pretty expensive ($200 for just the DVDs and $400ish for the house, last I saw), I'm using :filez: source material that was encoded with the interlacing intact. If I can get the DVDs I can run them through ffmpeg with the same deinterlacing algorithm VLC uses, and probably crank the bitrate pretty hard compared to what I've already got, but... that requires me to hunt those down and shell out cash.

Maybe this would be worth doing a Patreon for? I dunno.

There are way worse Patreons that have gotten funded so I say go for it.

Also I might have the DVDs in storage somewhere (God I hope they didn’t get garage sale’d). I don’t want to give them away but if there’s a way to make copies I’d be totally willing to send you the duplicates.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress it, pulled the trigger.

I really hope this isn't either a) breaking any forum rules or b) going to get me any nasty letters from Nick.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress it, pulled the trigger.

I really hope this isn't either a) breaking any forum rules or b) going to get me any nasty letters from Nick.
This is a bad idea. You're definitely going to be hearing from their lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is just about the worst idea you could have had and at the worst time you could have had it.