Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

JackDarko posted:

This game has the most frustrating you're low on life visual effect. Yes, I will get good so I don't have to suffer through it.

Now that I'm further into the game I dont know how someone consistently gets S ranks without assist mode. I'm not particularly great and consistently getting D's.

yeah i have no idea how people are getting S ranks on entire files. i'm doing some crazy poo poo and still getting b's at best for chimera boss combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I have no idea how I'm getting S-ranks either. Sometimes I'll feel like I did a decent job and the game gives me a B and I'm pretty happy with that, but then on the next fight I'm stumbling all over myself but at least I got a few sync attacks off so S+ I guess!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Amusingly for me the boss' almost always end up as S/S+, it's the short simple fights I dont' get the variety on.

I think you need to fulfil some axis of:

1: Don't get hit (free 6k right there)
2: Fast kill (Revengance style)
3: Pick up as many bonuses as you can

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

KidDynamite posted:

yeah i have no idea how people are getting S ranks on entire files. i'm doing some crazy poo poo and still getting b's at best for chimera boss combat.

I S+'d the case file 3 boss, I didn't run directly at it, I'd hook around cover to get to it and maybe I got lucky but I only did the slash technique three times during that fight. Time seems to be the big thing as I beat it at 2:41 and got over 12k points for it. Now that I think about it, I treated it like it was a charger in splatoon.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

As far as I know, there are two ways to get S+ ranks:

1. Finish the fight REALLY quickly.

2. Use as many different attacks as possible. If you switch it up enough you can get hit as often as you like and take as long as you like. You will even get some bonus points for using items!

Method 2 makes getting S+ ranks on bosses trivial. In my opinion the hardest fights to get good ranks on are the shorter ones because the time requirements can be quite strict and you probably won't be able to vary your attacks too much before the enemy dies.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's a crime if I'm the one doing it, but it's totally ok if my slave does it for me! I've been using the sword aura to slash up boxes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What the gently caress is with the proto legion. They actually killed me because they'd hit me and I got no hit stun from it so I had no idea I was actually being hit, and they do monsterous damage without staggering much as a result.

What am I missing because that felt like actual trash.

Edit: Look, I like the game and I think the combat has some actual charm behind it- but it is horrifically overwhelming and the game has a serious fetish with shield generating enemies that are NOT fun to fight at all. I feel like half the time I'm getting my rear end kicked it's because I'm trying to solve a puzzle while some rear end in a top hat cat looking thing hides underground or high out of view or just turtles behind the unit it's supporting and the dumb rear end in a top hat fighting me has no reservations about off screen swipes. I'm just downing medicine because the combat flow just feels bad.

Now I have two enemies that have almost no hit stun that can hit me and delete 900 health in a blink and I'm just getting frustrated. I love everything else but this is the first platinum game where I'm teetering on the edge of saying "no they went overboard. This is just bad." Not even Wonderful 101 was this cumbersome.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 2, 2019

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://twitter.com/chirithies/status/1168371009893781504?s=21

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got to this part last night where you can buy the huge stack of ice cream. The first time I dropped EVERYTHING, and then the second time I managed to eat all of the ice cream incident free.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If you want to paint a picture of the future, imagine the HQ theme playing on a loop. Forever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lethal response is warranted.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Am I doing something wrong or is lock-on just a huge trap?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i wish i could customize my drat twin

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

Am I doing something wrong or is lock-on just a huge trap?

super sucks when you're dealing with groups which is like, most of the time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Game: The Legion are terrifying murder monsters, bound in armor and chained to your arm and only your skill and technology keep them from murdering everyone around them, yourself included
Me: What a good pupper do you want treats and a pet on the nose you are the best pupper

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Here's a hot pro tip straight from your friend overbite:

Do not use the PC to go back and replay a previous chapter while in the middle of a different chapter. When you finish replaying the old one it will make you start the chapter you were currently on from the very beginning. Either go back first thing when you start a new chapter or wait til the end of the game I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Game: The Legion are terrifying murder monsters, bound in armor and chained to your arm and only your skill and technology keep them from murdering everyone around them, yourself included
Me: What a good pupper do you want treats and a pet on the nose you are the best pupper

Your sword legion hugs people to make them feel better. They're definitely not monsters.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Engage legion.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If your Legion sees someone speeding but you don't, can you give them a ticket?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

My invisible dog monster smelled drugs on you. Can you open your car?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Apparently Beast Legion can't 'smell' things, it can only (magically?) track trace DNA or something. I definitely remember someone trying to tell me that.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

YggiDee posted:

Apparently Beast Legion can't 'smell' things, it can only (magically?) track trace DNA or something. I definitely remember someone trying to tell me that.

Yeah it's not!9S saying nerdy geeky hackerman things.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I often find myself torn between wanting to advance the story and unlock more skills vs backtracking to grab cats and/or toilet paper.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I often find myself torn between wanting to advance the story and unlock more skills vs backtracking to grab cats and/or toilet paper.

I thought about this but I figured I might as well get all Legions before even looking at backtracking and by then I figured hey let’s just end the game and treat it as NG+.

What I’m assuming is the final fight loving OWNS.

EDIT: Oh gently caress! I was still on File 09. This game is awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 2, 2019

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
I'm not really feeling the police fetishism stuff but all the same, I would die for Lappy

Lappy 2020

God bless Lappy

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The controller vibrates with the closing credits song (but not, like in rhythm like REZ would it just kinda buzzed with the guitar) and now my hands are all tingly

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Anyone know what you get for finishing all the post game content? I keep clearing out the files but I’ve done like 40 so far with no end in sight to the point where I’m wondering if it’s procedurally generated and actually never ends.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The status menu says there's a reward for finishing all of Olive's cases and there's one for 'completing every order' so presumably they end somewhere. One of the rewards is a different voice for the Iris?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I can't figure out how the game wants me to be dodging stuff. Enemies sometimes have Bayonetta-style audio and visual cues for incoming attacks but they're very inconsistent about them happening and the enemy attack coming out, and sometimes they don't have cues and they just expect you to have crazy response time. There also doesn't appear to be iframes on the dodge because I've dodged something and rolled right into something else. It doesn't feel great.

The rest of the game feels great but the combat isn't clicking yet.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pierson posted:

I can't figure out how the game wants me to be dodging stuff. Enemies sometimes have Bayonetta-style audio and visual cues for incoming attacks but they're very inconsistent about them happening and the enemy attack coming out, and sometimes they don't have cues and they just expect you to have crazy response time. There also doesn't appear to be iframes on the dodge because I've dodged something and rolled right into something else. It doesn't feel great.

The biggest tip I can give is that the direction you dodge matters a lot. Dodge backwards, not to the side or towards them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, the vending machines have different personalities, and this one is tsundere.

Thanks, I hate it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

https://i.vgy.me/sj16Ab.webm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the stupid vending machines because they are entirely plausible. I feel like we're less than five years away from Customizable Alexa Personalities.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
My default Legion ability loadout is Super Armour Omega and all of the anti-whatever abilities and I have turned into the living incarnation of not giving one single gently caress as I proceed to chug Atk Up drinks, have my Legion power me up and ram my Gladius up the urethra of every opponent while they flail ineffectually at me and I ignore their hits like the buzzing of flies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How do I get across this? My Legion doesn't extend far enough to fling over to the platform. There is a path to the right of where I am facing, but it seems to lead to a dead end? I feel like I am missing something super obvious.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Pierson posted:

Like the other poster said, dodge backwards (and don’t use counter attack). Only sideways dodge for obvious poo poo like beam attacks. Throw that all out the window when you get to the ice and fire frog blob things later in the game because gently caress if I know how to consistently dodge those guys.

Perfect Call (and its related guaranteed Sync Attack) seems to be the “real” dodge/counter attack in this game and is really good on ultimate difficulty where you’re constantly putting away your legion to save its rear end.

There’s also an equippable parry move that works similar to the parry item from Bayonetta (push analog stick in direction of the incoming attack) which was fantastic in Bayo but not so much in this game (at least for me). Might be a casualty of 30 fps.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I said come in! posted:

How do I get across this? My Legion doesn't extend far enough to fling over to the platform. There is a path to the right of where I am facing, but it seems to lead to a dead end? I feel like I am missing something super obvious.

It's either a puzzle you're not seeing or one of those areas where you have to move the sword legion around until you find a temporary platform.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Be sure to look up as there can be things to shoot there too- if it's a dead end you may have gone an optional route in which case you'll need to backtrack to get back on the main path. Remember your detective mode tool as well. In that section in particular the gimmick is having to send your legion out on platforms to spawn them before you can walk on them.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Perfect Call is great because it is unconditional as long as your legion isn't out at the time of calling, dodging is worthless because your i-frames isn't nearly long enough to save you, parrying is okay but if you're mid-attack it won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you, I found where to go. It was really obvious and now I feel like a dumb.