Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

complaining that something that helps people who don’t pass but is slightly inconvenient to people who do pass is a loving bad look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wrong thread

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I don't know that it was super sincere, like...

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/1167966463694712832

isn't exactly a treatise.

It's probably a thought that should have stayed in her head or stayed private though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Finally, people realize skits and playing characters in these videos is unsalvageable garbage praise be

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The edgelord tone of it doesn't particularly help the situation. I feel like Kat Blaque has a better take on it; she's been tweeting a lot about it. Just cherry picking a couple here, but there are multiple threads she's written on her timeline.

https://twitter.com/kat_blaque/status/1168393270323380224

https://twitter.com/kat_blaque/status/1168626413341032448

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Oh good, it's pretention time again.

Edit: I don't mean Kat Blaque, but "no skits, no charecters, only monologues"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I’ve been pretty open about not liking contra for a while now

I like some of the theatrical stuff philosophy tube does like when he adapts a play and stuff and it isn’t just goofy youtube skits. I’m in a small local theater group (I know) and watching his Steve Brannon video really made me want to adapt The Fire Raisers

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

The edgelord tone of it doesn't particularly help the situation. I feel like Kat Blaque has a better take on it; she's been tweeting a lot about it. Just cherry picking a couple here, but there are multiple threads she's written on her timeline.

Yeah I feel like Kat Blaque does a better job of just saying "these instances do suck for us but I understand why this is better for others."

With Contra it's frustrating because there have been a few instances where she's shown a blind spot regarding nb people. It's also frustrating because it seems like other notable names are seeing this as just another "I guess Nat is cancelled again, OH WELL" when yeah people are going to get worn down.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

UnknownMercenary posted:

I think the key difference is that in there Kat actually takes the nb folks who say 'I get you, and I'm sorry that this makes you feel that way, but it also sucks for the onus to be on us to constantly have to bring it up or correct people' and supports them while Contra goes right to 'can not a trans even make a post without the sjws attacking her????' and whoo boy you can tell what kinda audience they have in their replies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Cosmonaut Variety Hour graces us with the first in a series which is looking at all of the lowest rated superhero movies and examining them in his own inimitable fashion:

https://youtu.be/paHho2r39Do?t=1

I cannot wait for Blade: Trinity and Elektra, but even they didn't have the stones to put not one but TWO Evanescence songs in their soundtrack like DD.

Poor guy also had to work some fairly dark magic to keep Fox from flagging it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Twincityhacker posted:

, but "no skits, no charecters, only monologues"

i am always torn. i think some people can pull off both really well but many should probably just stick to one or the other. that goes into podcasts with me alot. like behind the bastards is great, great podcast that i reccomend to everyone, but sometimes the jokey poo poo just goes on and one and it just isn't funny. whats worse is when your actually really interested in the topic and some guest make an awful joke and than its back to throwing bagels for 5 mins.

anyway. i think you need some humor when dealing with horrible topics and heavy stuff, but thats just me. its also a fine balance.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am always torn. i think some people can pull off both really well but many should probably just stick to one or the other. that goes into podcasts with me alot. like behind the bastards is great, great podcast that i reccomend to everyone, but sometimes the jokey poo poo just goes on and one and it just isn't funny. whats worse is when your actually really interested in the topic and some guest make an awful joke and than its back to throwing bagels for 5 mins.

I've noticed this too. It seems like he's trying to play to the Chapo crowd but it doesn't really land at all. It's one of the growing list of complaints I have of an otherwise great podcast.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

i linked a video that was 90 unbroken minutes of a german guy speaking in monotone about far cry 2 and it's the best thing anyone's ever posted in this thread

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I've noticed this too. It seems like he's trying to play to the Chapo crowd but it doesn't really land at all. It's one of the growing list of complaints I have of an otherwise great podcast.

its not really chapo jokes. its more just the "hur i throw bagel" and "hurr joke i have done 30 times" it was really bad in some of the episodes where like half the episode is jokes so he doesn't cover poo poo. also some of the episodes are weak as poo poo. i like hosed up comedy. i love last podcast on the left and the dollop and both of them can be comedy overload, but they have a pretty good group dynamics. robert evans just isn't funny and it sucks because i love his stuff over all. sometimes he has great guests but the more news people are terrible and are vacuums of humor. i am curious what your other complaints are.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 3, 2019

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Yeah I feel like Kat Blaque does a better job of just saying "these instances do suck for us but I understand why this is better for others."

With Contra it's frustrating because there have been a few instances where she's shown a blind spot regarding nb people. It's also frustrating because it seems like other notable names are seeing this as just another "I guess Nat is cancelled again, OH WELL" when yeah people are going to get worn down.

Kat has a bit more experience here as well methinks in terms of how long she's around, and having to deal with the occasional flare-ups that happen between binary and non-binary trans people. I mean, Contra does have some blind spots wrt NB people especially on social media where it's certainly possible that she could have phrased things a lot better. They'd have perhaps been ironed out a bit better if she hadn't risen so fast to the point where it seems like a lot of people consider her the only "alternative" voice that they'll entertain, which might mean that her audience nowadays is...well, perhaps not quite as good as it once was and any chance for proper discussion at times when she does screw up is just gonna get swamped, people get defensive and so on...like, there's probably a lot more crossover nowadays between the audiences of Contra and Blaire White than there would have been some time ago, even if they're generally at odds with each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

i linked a video that was 90 unbroken minutes of a german guy speaking in monotone about far cry 2 and it's the best thing anyone's ever posted in this thread

i think lindsey ellis is probably the best of both worlds. there are lots of gags but no cut aways or anything. your still learning something. i like contrapoints but i am ehh with the theater debate stuff same with philosophy tube. on video game. i always like mandalore gaming, noah caldwell-gervais and Tehsnakerer but thats just me. chris davise is good for the most part. the signal is a mixed bag because he is one of those types who hates the concept of "fun". idk

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 3, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Twincityhacker posted:

Lmfao i was poking fun a bit, idc if you find joy either in making or enjoying that, hell sometimes it works for me too but 99% i find it nostalgia critic tier

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ArfJason posted:

I cant believe i fell for jokers trick

Would you say he made you pull a... boner?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Would you say he made you pull a... boner?

Forced you into a boner, you might say.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
"Forced you into a boner, you might say...."
                -joker's trick

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not really chapo jokes. its more just the "hur i throw bagel" and "hurr joke i have done 30 times" it was really bad in some of the episodes where like half the episode is jokes so he doesn't cover poo poo. also some of the episodes are weak as poo poo. i like hosed up comedy. i love last podcast on the left and the dollop and both of them can be comedy overload, but they have a pretty good group dynamics. robert evans just isn't funny and it sucks because i love his stuff over all. sometimes he has great guests but the more news people are terrible and are vacuums of humor. i am curious what your other complaints are.

This is the problem i have with Cody Johnston, I like how much effort he puts into the factual aspects of his videos but he's trying to do the John Oliver thing and he's somehow less funny

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I dont know if ive said it before here but from what vague memories i have of reading cracked as a teen, whenever i read something i didnt like it was a cody johnston piece. Having said that, people really ragged on him too much, and in a way it reminds me of jack from rlm; A bit too wacky and people out for their blood.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

anyway. i think you need some humor when dealing with horrible topics and heavy stuff, but thats just me. its also a fine balance.

Skits and characters aren't the only kind of humour you can use to spice up a video, though, are they?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I Before E posted:

This is the problem i have with Cody Johnston, I like how much effort he puts into the factual aspects of his videos but he's trying to do the John Oliver thing and he's somehow less funny

yeah. cody is a good guy but he is one of the least funny people i have listened too. he just isn't a great guest and he has not edge or biting jokes. like yeah don't be some weird dickhead edgelord but be a little bit biting.

ArfJason posted:

"Forced you into a boner, you might say...."
                -joker's trick

god i love all the weird old batman comics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Skits and characters aren't the only kind of humour you can use to spice up a video, though, are they?

gently caress no. i just prefer people who are able to be funny while telling the story, like lindsey elliese or tehsnaker or LPOTL, or something like that.

ArfJason posted:

I dont know if ive said it before here but from what vague memories i have of reading cracked as a teen, whenever i read something i didnt like it was a cody johnston piece. Having said that, people really ragged on him too much, and in a way it reminds me of jack from rlm; A bit too wacky and people out for their blood.

jack is funny though. cody just isn't funny, its like he is too afraid to be funny, so he just punches himself or gurgles about how nerds suck or something. he isn't a bad person as far as i know but at least robet evans and katy have some loving edge to their humor.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Besides the humor, I don't like how the last 7 episodes were just reading Evans' book. He also goes after obscure grifters too much instead of big names like Joe Arpaio (he made 2 entire episodes on Jacob Whol lmao). And that whole manifesto episode was incredibly stupid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Besides the humor, I don't like how the last 7 episodes were just reading Evans' book. He also goes after obscure grifters too much instead of big names like Joe Arpaio (he made 2 entire episodes on Jacob Whol lmao). And that whole manifesto episode was incredibly stupid.

i didn't care for the one about white saviors. not because he was wrong but because it took him way to long to get the point and because it took him way to long to say "doctors without borders and groups like that are good". and yeah, most of the grifter episodes suck. like yeah they are pricks and assholes but who gives a poo poo. which was the manifesto one?

Edit. i will say i do like alot of his stuff still. my favorite being bill cosby and reagan and the aide crisis.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 3, 2019

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Trojan Kaiju posted:

One of my friends had a pretty decent thread on it speaking as a NB person
https://twitter.com/CoatDsa/status/1168646985005568000

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

god i love all the weird old batman comics.

Occurred to me the other day that if DC really wanted to compete with the MCU, they'd 180 and start making movies with plots based off the weird plots from the Jimmy Olsen or Lois Lane comics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Occurred to me the other day that if DC really wanted to compete with the MCU, they'd 180 and start making movies with plots based off the weird plots from the Jimmy Olsen or Lois Lane comics.

i feel like dc is almost better off not doing the cinimatic universe poo poo and just doing one offs and weird different poo poo. their shows are apparently really good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like dc is almost better off not doing the cinimatic universe poo poo and just doing one offs and weird different poo poo. their shows are apparently really good.

I've been waiting on them to acknowledge all the weird poo poo in their history but they refuse to do it. Gotta make everything very grounded and realistic, there's no room for Mister Mxyzptlk in this universe!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

achillesforever6 posted:

One of my friends had a pretty decent thread on it speaking as a NB person
https://twitter.com/CoatDsa/status/1168646985005568000

This is my take too. Every time a pronoun circle starts I have to go through a mini crisis of whether I'm being clocked, if people already know because someone has a big mouth, whether it's even safe to disclose, etc. I'm binary but if I have to explicitly say I'm a she then here's a chance I'm clashing with someone's expectations and it can get dangerous whereas if it doesn't come up I can sort of skirt around the issue and feel people out.

I think gender circles are kind of a feelgood exercise for cis lefties to pat themselves on the back while outing trans people at gunpoint and it puts us in compromising and nerve wracking situations constantly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Most folk I see taking umbrage of Contra's tweets is that the wording is really loving terrible - the last tweet especially. Some are drawing some really stretching conclusions from it (some auth-left think she'll be straight fash in a couple of years), but most, from what I saw, NB folk feel like they're being thrown under the bus because they're an inconvenience.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Kyle has a pretty great video on fascism.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How much of the bad sketch stuff can we blame on Doug

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jimbot posted:

Most folk I see taking umbrage of Contra's tweets is that the wording is really loving terrible - the last tweet especially. Some are drawing some really stretching conclusions from it (some auth-left think she'll be straight fash in a couple of years), but most, from what I saw, NB folk feel like they're being thrown under the bus because they're an inconvenience.

I think, tbh, that people need to stop treating contrapoints like she's the queen speaker of the trans community when
a) she's only been transitioning for a short time
b) she's said a bunch of times she's never wanted to be nor aspired to be a speaker for all trans people
c) she's constantly emphasizing her views are her own and the trans community has an extremely diverse range of opinion
d) her actual videos tend toward discussion and trying to start conversation rather than outright stating an opinion whereas she's always treated her Twitter as more of a stream of consciousness

Like, arent people really tired from being outraged all the drat time at somebody who is mostly on their side because they occasionally aren't in minor ways when there's police literally beating queer protesters at the straight pride parade and a fascist transphobe running the country?

I dunno, I feel like part of having queer safe spaces is that queer people need to be able to just say what's on their mind without instantly getting bodied by everybody else so we can have actual conversations and understand one another better and be a better team. But the online queer community is so combative and ready to jump on everyone for every little thing that I feel like good discussion doesn't happen anymore. And I'm saying this as someone who used to bark off the chain way too fast myself and has made a conscious effort to slow down and try to discuss before assuming someone is speaking in bad faith.

Tldr she's basically never claimed to speak for anyone but herself, people try to put that pressure on her anyway, then take umbrage when she continues to speak only for herself and that seems like an unhealthy dynamic on the part of the people who are serially mad at her.

Kinda rambling but I have a lot of feelings here after seeing a lot of leftist and queer discourse just go down the shitter lately because of people acting like word choice cops.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

How much of the bad sketch stuff can we blame on Doug

I feel like Rolf did it first but he is actually decent at it. But yeah I’ll blame Doug.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I feel like Rolf did it first but he is actually decent at it. But yeah I’ll blame Doug.

Rolf started it, but Doug is the root fault because it became the template for most early Channel Awesome shows.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Left Trans twitter in general has an incredibly bad problem with essentially electing someone unasked as the Leading Figure of Trans Leftism and then harassing the absolute poo poo out of them for not living up to the position they never asked for. Before Contrapoints it was Chelsea Manning, who was literally driven to a suicide attempt for not being the Woke Revolutionary twitter convinced themselves she was leading up to her release, and I've seen it happen to dozens of smaller scale people who write a couple good essays or do a couple good videos and then get absolutely loving pilloried for some offhand comment without any chance for apology or reparation. Twitter is garbage basically and the left has made a terrible loving mistake electing to use it as their primary internet platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
twitter is one of the worst things to happen to humanity