Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Honestly, I classified Beat as a purple Cure until like eight posts ago.I really like Itsuki and Yuri being classified as Gold and Silver, but I like them as yellow and purple too. Gold and silver feels special and cool, but it's kinda a trend breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

How long ago did this artbook come out?

I'm not sure, all I saw were some scans and a fan translation of them. It was at least as recent as the second half of Kira Kira since they mention Parfait. If I find it again I'll link it in here. I do kind of like the idea of Cures having "unusual" colors like Sunny as orange, Moonlight as silver, Black as, well.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Pink: Hana. I love her goofy haircut and her attitude.
Blue: Hime. Almost carried the entire series with her antics.
Yellow: Himari. Dessert Squirrel is too cute.
Red: (Cure) Emiru. She protects people from accidents before they happen.
Purple: Ruru. Only regret is that she lost her evil outfit.
Green: Milky. but she's the only one I've seen so...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I'm not sure, all I saw were some scans and a fan translation of them. It was at least as recent as the second half of Kira Kira since they mention Parfait. If I find it again I'll link it in here. I do kind of like the idea of Cures having "unusual" colors like Sunny as orange, Moonlight as silver, Black as, well.

How long has the mobile game been around? It’s possible that this artbook in question could potentially predate it (which would explain the discrepancy at any rate). But if they’re finally accepting that some Cures can have non-standard colors then that’s cool too.

That said, I’m pretty sure Sunny was referred to as Orange in Smile itself (I know for a fact that she was in the dub at least), also as mentioned Sunshine and Moonlight call out Gold and Silver during their respective attacks while Blossom and Marine say Pink and Blue respectively.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'll quote Hummy and say all Cures are best Cures

Except Aguri, that should of been Regina

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Larryb posted:

(though the last 4 seasons did end on timeskips showing the girls as adults)

I only remember this happening in Maho Girls and Hugtto

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Kirakira and Gopri had some vague timeskips at the end, but I'm not sure if they were adults though.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Except Aguri, that should of been Regina

Good point, can I change my red vote to Regina and pretend she was Ace?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

Kirakira and Gopri had some vague timeskips at the end, but I'm not sure if they were adults though.

They were all noticeably taller at the end so yes (or at the very least they were in their late teens).

Also they should really bring Regina back one day as I don’t think she’s had a line of dialogue since DokiDoki ended (she didn’t even get a Figuarts made of her even though the Kiryuu sisters did).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 3, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Best Pink is Mana. Best Blue is Rikka.

Best Yellow is Kirara, best Red is Towa, best Green is Felice, best purple is Mirai.

Edit - also, Regina shouldn’t be a Precure, her entire nature is antithetical to one. She’s best the way she is, as something different.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t care if she’s a Precure (though her default outfit does look a bit like a black and red version of the standard DokiDoki uniform), I just want her back for longer than 2 seconds.

It’s been said before but they should just do a DokiDoki sequel series or movie, out of any other season it’s ending probably leaves the most doors open for a continuation. Also it could be interesting to have a season where everyone already knows who the Precure are and now they have to deal with the ramifications of that in addition to their normal lives.

Off the subject, I will say that Towa has one of the best debut fights in Precure history (also if you think about the origin of her powers she’s basically a Kamen Rider).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 3, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I like when villain-esque characters don't become Cures but still hang around with them, it shows a sort of different kind of healing from trauma. Like Bibury just kind of hung around the bakery while she sort of learned to Stop Being Bad on her own terms and I liked how they handled it. I kind of hope Eyewan gets the same treatment.

Kaoru and Michiru definitely should've been Cures, though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The problem is that Aiwan hasn’t really done anything to warrant a redemption arc at the moment (though it might be interesting if her and Yuni wound up in a situation where they had to work together again, at least temporarily).

And yeah, I agree that Michiru and Kaoru probably should have just become Cure Bright and Cure Windy to begin with as opposed to inheriting the powers at the very end.

I’ve noticed that the Kiryuu sisters have at least gotten a little more focus than others of their type though (they got lines in some of the early All Stars movies, appeared in their “Cure” outfits for the first time since Splash Star ended during the big Hugtto crossover, and even got some Figuarts made of them).

On another note, was Makoto from DokiDoki meant to be a nod to the Starlights from Sailor Moon? They’re both warriors from a world devastated by the villains and they both came to our world and become idol singers in hopes of finding their lost princess (who also happens to be connected to a mysterious little girl that suddenly shows up out of nowhere).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 4, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Kiryuu's part in the first All Stars movie 2 is very bleah and part of the reason why I don't like it.

Bibury's redemption arc is amazing as it really just happened cause kids liked her so instead of writing her off they turned her but left her mostly the same.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Nodosaur posted:

best purple is Mirai.

Mirai is Pink. I assume you mean Riko?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It was hosed up that Bibury gets instantly redeemed and hangs out with everyone while the Sailor Moon villian reject boy had to sleep for 30 episodes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Caithness posted:

Mirai is Pink. I assume you mean Riko?

Yeah, sorry.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

It was hosed up that Bibury gets instantly redeemed and hangs out with everyone while the Sailor Moon villian reject boy had to sleep for 30 episodes.

Ironically, said boy was also voiced by Sailor Uranus (Crystal). A pity he only actually got to fight as a good guy once though.

That said, Bibury was one of the best parts of KiraKira for me and they should bring her back one day as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently much like Smile, Go Princess also had a sequel novel (summary courtesy of Amazon Japan):

quote:

Elementary school fifth grader "園ノ宮花" Sonomiya Hana is a big fan of “Princess Pretty Cure” by picture book writer Yui Nanase. On the day of Halloween on October 31, Haruka disappeared all the time in front of Hana-chan who came to Haraya, a Japanese confectionery store where Haruno Haruka works. Hana-chan who looks for Ms. Haruka is also surrounded by a mysterious light ... A thrilling big adventure has finally begun!

The novel also apparently features a return appearance by Refi from the movie.

Also having actually gotten around to watching the subbed version of episode 30 (Anon’s anyway, Overtime’s release is still delayed at the moment) I’m assuming the Alliance is currently hunting down the Precure because they still want to draft them into their ranks.

On a side note, I find it funny that Lala is technically now the smartest person on her home planet simply by virtue of having an Earth education (also Saman apparently doesn’t have schools). No idea where it came from all of a sudden but I’m liking Aiwan’s new hoodie as well.

Darknest and Garogre are the only villains we see in the preview so it’s possible that the big bads are finally going to get off their butts and actually do something next time.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 7, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Precure beat Symphogear to actual fight on the moon by one week!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it looks like Fuwa’s upcoming unicorn form might be a permanent change instead of just being part of the group’s Star Tiara Mode:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yup, Unicorn Fuwa is here to stay it seems (also aside from Ha-chan evolving like a Pokemon and Siren being trapped in human form I think this may be the first time a fairy has ever gotten a permanent form change in this franchise).

Star Twinkle 31: This week on Space Battleship Yamato, Hikaru engages in a Dragon Ball Z battle with Dogold while being given Uncle Ben's lesson from Spider-Man, and Fuwa evolves into a My Little Pony. So, all in a week for Precure. The team still seems on the fence about joining the Galactic Alliance, but they were willing to have a talk about it. Though this week was mostly setting up for next week, where Fuwa adjusts to being an alicorn all of a sudden and the DBZ battles continue.

Nice to see Garogre finally get to do something but to be honest I’m more curious about what the new status quo is going to be now that the Pen hunt appears to finally be drawing to a close. I’m also still wondering what this scan from several months ago is about :

Note that the other 5 bottles directly correspond to the colors of the current Precure (Pink, Green, Yellow, Purple, Blue) so unless the Red bottle has something to do with the new form they’re getting next episode one would assume there’s going to be a sixth Cure.

However if that’s the case she kind of needs to show up soon (probably by episode 36 at the earliest as that’s when Muse made her proper debut in Suite) as we’re starting to run short on time now.

Sakurako would be fun but she hasn’t really gotten a whole lot of screen time (though she has appeared more than others of her character type at least), Aiwan’s gotten a fair amount of focus as of late but she also hasn’t done anything yet to really be considered worthy of the power nor does she appear to have any remorse for her actions. I suppose Fuwa might be possible though but we’ll see.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 8, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Headsup: A friend told me that Anon subs might not be up for a bit because of the typhoon. Hopefully everyone there stays safe though.

(I LOVE the new Fuwa, I wasn't sure about it at first just seeing pictures but it's a lot cuter in the show)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for 31 and Toppa has instantly redeemed himself in my eyes (also he’s kind of right, the Precure aren’t really taking this situation quite as seriously as it deserves). Galogre’s first fight was also decent though I kind of expected him to win in order to set up the team’s upcoming power boost.

I’m very curious as to where this series is going now that the whole Princess quest appears to have reached its conclusion.

I’m basically convinced now that Darknest has some secret we don’t know about yet (why disguise his voice and even hide the name of his VA otherwise) and as I’ve mentioned before the prime suspect at the moment is Madoka’s dad.

Consider:

-As a government official he would have access to the technology needed to pull something like this off. Also his office is filled with computer monitors (also Darknest could be a digital being and his “revival” was ultimately just an elaborate ruse).

-The two appear to have somewhat similar mindsets

-He once said that “aliens deserve no sympathy” which seems to imply he’s encountered them before. Considering how we see Darknest treat his subordinates this pretty much tracks (also based on some of the stuff people like Kappard has said in the past it’s possible that all of the generals were conscripted from
planets that were already conquered/destroyed).

Now granted, its possible that Toei will wind up going in a completely different direction with the character and even if it is true I’m assuming he’ll still get redeemed somehow by the end but the pieces do sort of fit. I fully expect there to be some kind of confrontation between Madoka and her father by the end regardless though.

Also this team is 100% getting their identities exposed by the time of the final arc, there are just too many factors currently in play for them to keep all this secret for much longer.

Finally while I’m not sure if I want her to become a Cure or anything I will say that Aiwan has become a surprisingly compelling villain and I kind of want to know more about her now.

Her rivalry with Yuni make perfect sense as well (Aiwan’s part in it was still worse but they both kind of did lovely things to one another to be fair). I’d be down for her essentially becoming Bibury 2.0 to be honest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 10, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The huge Precure vote is finished and results are posted. The site is here https://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/precure/ranking/ if you can read Japanese or want to run it through Google translate. I went in and did some of it to make it easier to read:

Cures (yes, that is Black and White for the 1-2 combo)

Seasons

Non-Cure Characters (poor Echo, she's a Non-Cure apparently) (the site has 50 but I just translated the top 10)

Songs (again, there were 50 posted but I just did the top 10)

The biggest surprise for me was the really strong showing by Yes5 and Go Go in all the categories, I knew it was popular in Japan but I didn't know it was, you know. THAT popular. Futari Wa's strong showing was a happy surprise for me since it's my favorite.

The site also has demographics for votes by gender and age split which is interesting to poke around in - or at least, it was, because going back to the site now they seem to have removed those links :shrug: Kids under 10 also got their own vote where they voted for all the newest seasons (to no surprise) so it was fans in their teens and 20's who really drove the nostalgia votes home.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yes 5 did well on airing but Go Go being strong surprises me cause the series didn't do well on airing in Japan (why we don't get sequel series anymore). Seeing the characters/series do strong is pretty nice

Also not shocked at Mofurun, Dark Dream and Regina doing well for non cures but surprised Bunbee placed well but you have to hand it to a redeemed bad guy that survived a Geese Howard fall

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell from what I hear Toei was actually about to pull the plug on the whole franchise after GoGo underperformed but Fresh did well enough to save it.

So no Splash Star representation at all? That’s a shame but it’s also kind of par for the course from what I’ve seen (Ganbalance and the opening theme are still two of my top favorite Precure songs though).

Off the subject but has there been any further word lately regarding the upcoming Magia Record anime that was announced a little while back?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Darn. Dokidoki didn't place in the top 10. :(

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Regina got 5 on the list of non-cures which is good and I will take as validation for my opinion that she should of been a Cure

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

So no Splash Star representation at all? That’s a shame but it’s also kind of par for the course from what I’ve seen (Ganbalance and the opening theme are still two of my top favorite Precure songs though).

All three Ganbalances were in the top 50 song list and Splash Star's was the highest, so there's that, at least. But yeah let's pour one out for Splash Star, Doki Doki, and Happiness Charge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

All three Ganbalances were in the top 50 song list and Splash Star's was the highest, so there's that, at least. But yeah let's pour one out for Splash Star, Doki Doki, and Happiness Charge.

Wait, three? I know one was in Splash Star and another was in either Yes 5 or GoGo (I forget) but where was the third version, in one of the All Stars movies or something?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Splash Star had one, Yes 5 had one, and Yes 5 GoGo had one.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The fact we still haven't gotten a Ganbalance in an All Stars annoys me

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The fact we still haven't gotten a Ganbalance in an All Stars annoys me

Yeah, they should really bring that song back one day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 32: This week on Star Twinkle, the team unlocks their final cheat attack through the power of Fuwacorn (which is apparently called Twinkle Style or something like that) enough to offset a power boost that Galogre got from Darknest. They were also given their secondary goal of the season - to find the "Twinkle Imagination" (also the name of their new attack) so Rainbow can be restored.

So we've got a goal that's perhaps not as merchandisable for the second half of the season, but will keep the plot running and get us back mostly to where we were before the whole Field Trip to Saman arc started (except with Fuwacorn now).

Next week: A shaggy dog story about Fuwacorn and homework.

Edit: Anon’s subs are out.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 15, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Anyone ready for a classic bad 2000's Precure take? I KNOW I AM

https://twitter.com/UNIVERSALERPE/status/1172877142075461632

Targeted at older males sure does sell lots of kids toy yup

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

"Physical fighting isn't for little girls"

For a thread on the history of a primarily feminine genre, it sure has some sexist ideas.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Precure was unique in that it was the first kids magical girl show to go with shonen fights and pacing but some in English still think that makes it focused to adult males and no amount of Toy sales charts showing girls buying it will prove otherwise

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Unrelated, I just meant to make this webm earlier and I forgot to.

https://files.catbox.moe/t1nuhb.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Precure was unique in that it was the first kids magical girl show to go with shonen fights and pacing but some in English still think that makes it focused to adult males and no amount of Toy sales charts showing girls buying it will prove otherwise

Yeah, speaking as an adult male who unironically loves this series Precure may have elements that everyone can enjoy (as well as being a bit more shounen in nature than your average Magical Girl series like you mentioned) but young girls are still the show’s primary audience first and foremost.

As for Star Twinkle I’m also kind of curious if Yuni is actually going to start attending school at some point or just stay feral the whole season unless the others need her for Precure duty/space travel.

Star Twinkle is shaping up to be one of my top favorite seasons, hopefully it doesn’t trip up right at the home stretch.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 20, 2019