Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Pretty sure it was the Republicans on the anti-slavery side during the civil war.

Let me guess, the civil war was over state's rights too?

edit: Welp, caught a ban in the time it took to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Let me guess, the civil war was over state's rights too?

edit: Welp, caught a ban in the time it took to post.

Got banned for defending a self admitted serial sex criminal in qcs, loving owned.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1164351649047031808?s=19

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

No more deluded by reaction
On tyrants only we’ll make war
The soldiers too will take strike action
They’ll break ranks and fight no more
And if those cannibals keep trying
To sacrifice us to their pride
They soon shall hear the bullets flying
We’ll shoot the generals on our own side.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What is with MAJs being obsessed with creating meetings and then demanding tons of people be present for them despite not actually having any interest or purpose at being said meeting. "What if we have a question for you?" isn't a good reason.

I'm sure it's not just MAJs though, I'm expecting plenty of dumb meetings on the civilian side too.

It's just irritating that nearly every meeting I've ever been to has been a complete waste of my time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Meetings are a way to occupy the day and fool people into thinking that you're far busier than you really are.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
99% of my time in the army was spent making people of much higher rank than me feel important.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gas the Army.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

No more deluded by reaction
On tyrants only we’ll make war
The soldiers too will take strike action
They’ll break ranks and fight no more
And if those cannibals keep trying
To sacrifice us to their pride
They soon shall hear the bullets flying
We’ll shoot the generals on our own side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibVpDhW6kDQ

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

colachute posted:

I was more talking about the invasion of mexicans but ok bud

I do know very little about that.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Flying_Crab posted:

Do they make an NDSM one?

Ohio does.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Woooooo, can't wait to travel from Alaska's balmy 60 degrees to 120 degree highs in Mosul soon.

Whose bright idea was it to deploy this shitfuck brigade to Iraq anyways?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Thump! posted:

Woooooo, can't wait to travel from Alaska's balmy 60 degrees to 120 degree highs in Mosul soon.

our battalion hq deployed from fort drum in the winter to iraq

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Thump! posted:

Literal deja vu from me 14 years ago back in 2005.

gently caress.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Rat posted:

gently caress.

Same, but from 2011.

Thump! posted:

Richardson or Wainwright? If Wainwright, is 1-5 still a toxic dumpster fire?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Icon Of Sin posted:

Same, but from 2011.

I don’t wanna say there’s a such thing as a dumb question but I feel like this one is pretty obvious, and I’m oblivious to 1-5.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That whole brigade was a shithole (Danny Chen’s suicide in Afghanistan put a spotlight on it) but 1-5 managed to stand out even among that crowd of cockwomblers.

Still, you’re probably right, and it was dumb/naive to think anything up there could change for the better :smith:

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Icon Of Sin posted:

Still, you’re probably right, and it was dumb/naive to think anything up there could change for the better :smith:

The point is that YOU are now in a place where you think things can change for the better, which means you finally put the horrific bullshit of 1-5 behind you. :unsmith:

But yeah you're still dumb as hell to think anything in the Army will ever improve.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've come to understand that an organization whose existence depends upon convincing young people to sacrifice their bodies and their minds is never going to be a great place to work.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Which unit was it that put enlisted in literal cages when they had nothing to do?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Carteret posted:

Which unit was it that put enlisted in literal cages when they had nothing to do?

172nd out of Germany had the video, but it was mostly Joe loving around out of boredom. We would do similar poo poo in the 173d.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

The Rat posted:

gently caress.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Same, but from 2011.

Wainwright, and 1-5 is actually slightly better than the other battalions these days. 1-24 is the current shithead infantry batt, and 5-1 Cav is the absolute pit of idiotic insanity.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Thump! posted:

Wainwright, and 1-5 is actually slightly better than the other battalions these days. 1-24 is the current shithead infantry batt, and 5-1 Cav is the absolute pit of idiotic insanity.

Checks out

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thump! posted:

5-1 Cav is the absolute pit of idiotic insanity.

MAKE STUPID HAPPEN :downs:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

MAKE STUPID HAPPEN :downs:

Where can I buy this shirt?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

We’re gonna make 5uic1de Squadron shirts I think

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
I think the worst part about being out of the Army so far is just realizing that 95% of it was just bullshit. I also got my first VA disability check on Friday. Hahaha, they are really going to send me money the rest of my life. Crazy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

faddypaddy posted:

I think the worst part about being out of the Army so far is just realizing that 95% of it was just bullshit.

Truth. But now you don't have to do it ever again.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

faddypaddy posted:

I think the worst part about being out of the Army so far is just realizing that 95% of it was just bullshit. I also got my first VA disability check on Friday. Hahaha, they are really going to send me money the rest of my life. Crazy.

At a minimum about every 3-5 years you’ll be re-examined to see if your rating needs to change. If your rating doesn’t change for 20 years, you are locked in for life.

I’m rated 100% and have had one re-exam in 6 years. That re-exam took one of my ratings from 50% to 100%, and everything else stayed the same. So I kept my 100%.

If your 100% you can petition to be declared Permanently and Totally disabled which stops the re-exams and locks you in. There’s a few bennies for Permanent and Total too. I haven’t done this yet, but it’s in the plans if it’s indeed appropriate. I want to finish up schooling and have access to VR&E first, they’re already real lovely about what they’ll let me pursue due to my ratings. Permanent and total would probably be all they need to shoot down every idea I have.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Caveat: They’re not gonna re-examine you if you’ve got a low rating or if your disabilities can’t improve.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea my back issues aren’t expected to ever resolve. Discs can’t just grow back...

:(

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
I was rated permanent and total, which I think means it can never be reduced from the current rate.

edit: 100% permanent and total is what the letter said.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I was about to say, I've been 30% for 13 years and have never been re-examined

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Carteret posted:

I was about to say, I've been 30% for 13 years and have never been re-examined

40% for 10 years and no re-examinations yet.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
A really good friend of mine is heading to Jackson tomorrow for basic, then OCS, then combat engineer officer BOLC (or whatever it’s called) at 34 years old for a reserve slot. I found some air guard officer slots, but he didn’t qualify for them. Thank gently caress he listened to me and didn’t enlist in the MA army guard with the promise of “hopefully making connections and finding an officer slot” like the recruiter tried to sell him.

I’ve already got some good ideas to gently caress with him during basic, but what exactly are they allowed to receive in the mail in basic? I know we couldn’t get packages in Air Force BMT, so I’m guessing it’s the same for the army?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

pkells posted:

A really good friend of mine is heading to Jackson tomorrow for basic, then OCS, then combat engineer officer BOLC (or whatever it’s called) at 34 years old for a reserve slot. I found some air guard officer slots, but he didn’t qualify for them. Thank gently caress he listened to me and didn’t enlist in the MA army guard with the promise of “hopefully making connections and finding an officer slot” like the recruiter tried to sell him.

I’ve already got some good ideas to gently caress with him during basic, but what exactly are they allowed to receive in the mail in basic? I know we couldn’t get packages in Air Force BMT, so I’m guessing it’s the same for the army?

Sending packages is exactly the right way to gently caress with him.

But yeah, he won’t be able to keep the contents until graduation. But he’ll have to open them in front of drill sergeants.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Richard Bong posted:

40% for 10 years and no re-examinations yet.

10% for 22 years and no re-examinations yet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had a reexamination last year, around the 5 year mark of getting my first check. While they don’t expect my back to get any better (worth 20%), they wanted to see if my dysthymia had.

it hadn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I thought 34 was too old for commissioning or have I been yet again lied to