Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

I watched Evil Bong last weekend to prepare for your writeup. Just so you know.

OH MY GOD that completely slipped my mind omg ive been busy with school starting you have my word it will be up within 48 hours of this post

Blast Fantasto posted:

I can’t tell if you’re disagreeing with me or just making an unrelated comment but someone gets absolutely destroyed with a knife in Upgrade which is what inspired my slasher territory comment.

Oh yeah im just making an unrelated comment ive never seen upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

CelticPredator posted:

Upgrade.

It isn’t a horror but it was made by a horror man and it’s amazing and I wish it was more beloved

That's that movie with off brand Tom Hardy, right??

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are some lesser known good Italian genre movies from the 70s/80s?

I just watched the movie Contamination and it owned.

I’ve seen:

- Pretty much every Argento movie
- New York Ripper
- Zombi 2
- Demons/2
- The Visitor
- Cannibal Holocaust

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I thought Ready or Not was very good and that it totally earned its ending, and that Grace seeing a brief momentary glimpse of Satan in the chair after the family all explode and just going "well, gently caress" was probably my favorite moment.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Slasher villains don't use guns but not for the reason KVLT thinks.

It's like cyberpunk: at some point reality just resembles it too much for it to be genre fiction any more.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The killer in William Lustig’s Maniac blasts a couple with a shotgun. Guns can totally be used by slashers. If it works, use it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gejimayu posted:

That's that movie with off brand Tom Hardy, right??

I ‘spose. Logan Marshall Green rules in it a whole lot.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blast Fantasto posted:

Last Cannibal World, directed by Ruggero Deodato, is one of the more interesting Italian cannibal flicks. Predates Cannibal Holocaust by a few years, too, so you can watch it as sort of a test flight for Deodato.
Hatchet for the Honeymoon is a great Bava one that seems to not get mentioned too often.
Beast in Space is... something. Roughly a remake of La Bête, but in disco-flavored post-Star Wars space trappings. Unusual, at least, especially if you go with the full cut.
Nude for Satan is kind of like a lusty Italian fever dream of Hell, channeling Jess Franco (I think Redemption Films even picked it up for redistribution).
And The House of Clocks (Fulci!) is arguably not that great an experience while watching it, but does have some imagery that'll stick in memory for a long while.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man is a sleazy Italian crime film about two cops who make Dirty Harry look by-the-book.

They don't even attempt to arrest a single suspect.

If you're in a giallo mood
Death Walks at Midnight and Death Walks on High Heels are a good double feature.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

If I hear one more person try to convince me that "BRO TERMINATOR IS A SLASHER" I'm going to vomit on their face.

Slashers don't use guns. It's in the loving NAME. SLASHER. SLASH. LIKE WITH A KNIFE.

iirc the T-800 mostly uses his bare hands in the original

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Not until at least the halfway point, everything up through the police station escape is guns blazing with one or two up close takedowns like the roommates boyfriend.

The Terminator absolutely is Michael Myers But Guns, though, there's no escaping that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just saw Nightingale.

It might not be technically horror, but Goddamn is it an emotionally draining movie and I mean that in the best way possible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Not until at least the halfway point, everything up through the police station escape is guns blazing with one or two up close takedowns like the roommates boyfriend.

The Terminator absolutely is Michael Myers But Guns, though, there's no escaping that.

I'm also thinking of how the first kill is him punching Bill Paxton's heart out tbf

Sareini
Jun 7, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

A Blade in the Dark
Don't Torture a Duckling
Cannibal Apocalypse

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Blast Fantasto posted:

What are the best horror movie freeze-frame endings? Preferably with the credits rolling over the image.

Sleepaway Camp is the one that jumps out to me

Deathproof

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
eXistenZ is a middle-tier Cronenberg for me, but holy poo poo, the fleshy organic videogame system and the sexualized body horror--especially the spine port--was absolutely disgusting. It gave me and my friends such strong visceral reactions. One of my friends was sincerely close to vomiting.

As a whole, it's kind of a frustrating movie. When the whole point is to never allow the viewer to be confident in reality, it lessens the stakes and makes any new information--the fish-farm turned mutated reptilian farm where they get organic parts for new game parts? or something?--feel unusable.

Anyway, good movie but not great, and impressively repulsive.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just watched the movie Contamination and it owned.

I’ve seen:

- Pretty much every Argento movie
- New York Ripper
- Zombi 2
- Demons/2
- The Visitor
- Cannibal Holocaust

for gialli - All the Colors of the Dark, Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, Lizard in a Woman's Skin, The Perfume of the Lady in Black, Don't Torture a Duckling

other horror - The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Stagefright, The Church

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man is a sleazy Italian crime film about two cops who make Dirty Harry look by-the-book.

I love that one, it gives no fucks.

I was assuming Blast Fantasto's request was for non-giallo movies so this one toes the line a bit: The Suspicious Death of a Minor

That theme!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwmR0EDQlk8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Knife + Heart and The Eyes Of My Mother are two masterpieces imo.

If I hear one more person try to convince me that "BRO TERMINATOR IS A SLASHER" I'm going to vomit on their face.

Slashers don't use guns. It's in the loving NAME. SLASHER. SLASH. LIKE WITH A KNIFE.

Michael Myers kills exactly two people with a knife in Halloween and he stabs them both. He doesn't slash anyone except Laurie, and that was accidentally when he missed a stab.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

eXistenZ is a middle-tier Cronenberg for me, but holy poo poo, the fleshy organic videogame system and the sexualized body horror--especially the spine port--was absolutely disgusting. It gave me and my friends such strong visceral reactions. One of my friends was sincerely close to vomiting.

As a whole, it's kind of a frustrating movie. When the whole point is to never allow the viewer to be confident in reality, it lessens the stakes and makes any new information--the fish-farm turned mutated reptilian farm where they get organic parts for new game parts? or something?--feel unusable.

Anyway, good movie but not great, and impressively repulsive.

The bone gun is such a cool idea

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

Michael Myers kills exactly two people with a knife in Halloween and he stabs them both. He doesn't slash anyone except Laurie, and that was accidentally when he missed a stab.

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah I just used that as kinda a joke but my point was more they dont use guns

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What's the best slasher that has the lowest killcount. I guess it's probably Halloween right?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Punk: Heart pulled out
Walter Paisley, Sarah Connor, Sarah Connor: Shot
Matt: Thrown through a wall
Ginger: Shot
Dancers: Shot
Sergeant: Carred
Cop station: Shot

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

The bone gun is such a cool idea

Yeah. I was expecting more from the teeth bullet concept. Jude Law pulls out a row of teeth and puts it in the gun like it's nothing. I was expecting it to be more gross than that, honestly.

Basebf555 posted:

What's the best slasher that has the lowest killcount. I guess it's probably Halloween right?

Technically April Fool's Day.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Cheating.

Also, if you're posting that means you're probably gonna survive the hurricane yea?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Cheating.

Also, if you're posting that means you're probably gonna survive the hurricane yea?

Odds are in my favor, but it's still too early to tell. I'm at work, currently, but we're closing tomorrow and I'm leaving early today so as to be safer. Two zones of my city have been evacuated, and I live in the next zone to be evacuated if things get bad. As of now, it looks like we'll just get some bad storms without the dangerous winds. This thing has been unpredictable, though, so everyone's remaining cautious.

If it takes a turn for the worse, I'll definitely mention it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We need a control experiment. Someone give Michael Myers a gun and see what he does with it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah. I was expecting more from the teeth bullet concept. Jude Law pulls out a row of teeth and puts it in the gun like it's nothing. I was expecting it to be more gross than that, honestly.

I got the dvd of the 2008 remake of this from a five dollar bin almost ten years ago and never watched it until 2 nights ago. My long awaited take: it isn’t good. All the fun from the original is gone.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darthemed posted:

Sergeant: Carred

Someone needs to make a slasher movie where the slasher exclusively hits people with a car.

And I don’t mean like a Christine style demon car that runs people over. I mean a Freddy Krueger type who chases people down with a sedan, then the victim thinks the sedan is behind them but actually it’s jumpscare in front of them, then the slasher hops out and makes a snide comment, jumps back in the sedan and peels out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

Someone needs to make a slasher movie where the slasher exclusively hits people with a car.

And I don’t mean like a Christine style demon car that runs people over. I mean a Freddy Krueger type who chases people down with a sedan, then the victim thinks the sedan is behind them but actually it’s jumpscare in front of them, then the slasher hops out and makes a snide comment, jumps back in the sedan and peels out.

You should look up the story of the guy that wrote The Hitcher. And then wish for a bio-pic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

a slasher villain who exclusively beats peoples head in with a bong

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A slasher villain that only uses blunt weapons. A bludgeoner.

Me and a friend once made a LEGO stop motion short loosely based on the Beatles song Maxwell's Silverhammer. It had a villain that was basically just Jason in a welding mask killing other LEGO figures by smashing their faces in with a sledgehammer.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

link plz

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

You should look up the story of the guy that wrote The Hitcher. And then wish for a bio-pic.

The Hitcher, for the record, is REALLY good.

I don't know how the remake ranks, but Rutger Hauer really needed more recgonition. He was a fantastic loving actor and in a better world, would be remembered on the level of Lee, Cushing and Price.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drunkboxer posted:

I got the dvd of the 2008 remake of this from a five dollar bin almost ten years ago and never watched it until 2 nights ago. My long awaited take: it isn’t good. All the fun from the original is gone.

Agreed. It definitely has me iffy about other films by The Butcher Brothers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

link plz

It was about 16 years ago and I don't think it ever left the LEGO moviemaker software.

We named villain Maxwell Bagley after both the song, Maxwell, and picked a random last name from Desmond Bagley one of the authors from his dad's collection of thrillers.

Shortly after we made a short on a VHS-C camera from my mom's work. It was about alien hunters fighting aliens in Budapest (the backyard of my apartment block) we'd play both the aliens (by wearing a demon Halloween mask) and the hunters and took turns operating the camera so there was only ever one character in the shot at the same time except for one shot where my friend put on my jacket on one arm and I filmed a close-up of his hand as he shot both guns creating the illusion that we were both shooting. Movie magic.

Then because there was no script and all the editing was in camera our action film devolved into a comedy because my friend was giving the signal to roll the camera and I had already started rolling so he improvised into the intergalactic space demon announcing that he was about to roll around on the floor. Then when we tried to play it my VCR couldn't handle it and played it at double speed making us sound like Chipmunks. Which actually made it better.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jedit posted:

We need a control experiment. Someone give Michael Myers a gun and see what he does with it.

He stabs someone with it. Halloween 4.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Did this thread ever talk about Detroit?

It's a flawed movie that I don't really think accomplishes what it sets out to do, (and as a whole is not horror) but holy gently caress the middle third of the movie is an intense and harrowing horror experience. Particularly if you aren't familiar with the true story that it's based on.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, Myers impaled a dude w a fuckin shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Blast Fantasto posted:

You've had some great recommendations thrown your way so I'm going to make a crazy recommendation of a film that entirely feels like it was made in Italy, specifically by Dario Argento, but was somehow actually made in Australia instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMvCUlCAmI

Australiargento!

(oh yeah and it's from 1982 -- there are several films with the same name and you don't want the wrong one)