Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Beach Bum was great. Matthew McConaughy is a modern Diogenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Lodge 49 has so much heart. I'm only 3 episodes in and I'm about to move to Long Beach.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Keith Atherton posted:

Started watching Mission Impossible: Fallout

I’ve only seen the first two and the second one had me going “enough with the loving masks”

20 minutes into the new one - oh gently caress it was a guy wearing a mask!

MI:2 way overused the masks and has taken tons of criticism for it, but for the next four movies they toned it down and found more interesting ways to use them. That scene in Fallout was an intentional nod to the opening scene in the first Mission Impossible, so if all you've seen are 1 and 2, I can see why that would be annoying.

There's another mask gag in Fallout that is executed perfectly and people in my theater gasped when it happened.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Lodge 49 has so much heart. I'm only 3 episodes in and I'm about to move to Long Beach.

Been wanting to see this and didn't realize it was streaming, thanks for the heads up

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Eat The Rich posted:

Beach Bum was great. Matthew McConaughy is a modern Diogenes.

Very very much agree. One of the best films this year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I love the stupid mask bits in the Missions Impossible

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just watched World War Z on Netflix. Like it isn't good or anything, but it's fine. I thought it was meant to be a trainwreck beyond belief... It's just a middling zombie movie with a lead actor way too expensive for the rest of the film.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's only a trainwreck in comparison to how great the book is. Taken on its own, it's just an okay zombie movie (with one amazing scene on the plane)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's only a trainwreck in comparison to how great the book is. Taken on its own, it's just an okay zombie movie (with one amazing scene on the plane)

Ah ok maybe the book is the ingredient that I'm missing. I just have this vague recollection that it was some doomed unwatchable pile of poo poo when it just a couple of hours of shrug your shoulders and eat some snacks yelling.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought the general goon opinion about the WWZ book is that it's a collection of great ideas among stupid chud and weeb poo poo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The MSJ posted:

I thought the general goon opinion about the WWZ book is that it's a collection of great ideas among stupid chud and weeb poo poo.

It’s this.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

SirSamVimes posted:

It's only a trainwreck in comparison to how great the book is.

The book is not great. I thought it was great when I first read it after it's initial release, but then I tried to revisit it and....the book is not great.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Not sure what everyone else thinks of it, but I quite enjoyed Carnival Row. I don't know if it's based on any prior source material, but for my small scope of reference, the closest I could think was if they took the concept of Bright and actually made it good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

Not the general goon opinion at all but this is true.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

WWZ is still pretty bad. It's just that at the time it seemed pretty bottom of the barrel, and we've subsequently realized that it isn't even close to the bottom.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It’s been awhile since I’ve read it but I quite like the WWZ book. I don’t recall any chud poo poo in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sponges posted:

It’s been awhile since I’ve read it but I quite like the WWZ book. I don’t recall any chud poo poo in it.

The two countries that almost immediately figure out what to do against rampaging human hordes are South Africa and Israel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Literally the only thing I remember about WWZ is piles of zombies and some pretty questionable CGI. Other than that it was one of those movies that was fine but just exited my brain right after I finished it .

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

All I remembered was Brad Pitt survived the wreck.

A bad ending.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The two countries that almost immediately figure out what to do against rampaging human hordes are South Africa and Israel.

By literally BUILDING THAT WALL!

That's par for the course, though. Most zombie fiction is just otherization taken to the extreme: 'we're surrounded by unthinking subhumans that must be slaughtered' made literal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Family Values posted:

By literally BUILDING THAT WALL!

That's par for the course, though. Most zombie fiction is just otherization taken to the extreme: 'we're surrounded by unthinking subhumans that must be slaughtered' made literal.

There's definitely a sardonic read on that, but you have to consider the caricatures of other countries that appear in the book.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I love how Israel lets the filthy Palestinians in and they get punished by having those savages sing and praise Allah, which results in triggering the zombies and killing everyone. Silly Israelis, that's what you get when you treat the Palestinians humane.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Yeah the movie was way more chud than the book.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Joe Chill posted:

Yeah the movie was way more chud than the book.

Yes and no. That scene in particular was horrendous but the book has this stuff all throughout. As someone else mentioned, the main thrust of WWZ the book is that apartheid turned out to be actually good because it was awesome practice for the apocalypse. All the limp wristed liberals had to take their lumps and admit Israel and South Africa were right this whole time!

That it was written by Mel Brooks's son makes the whole thing even weirder.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What did South Africa due to survive the zombies apocalypse? I don't recall that in the movie.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What did South Africa due to survive the zombies apocalypse? I don't recall that in the movie.

In the book it was basically concentration camps, only good. (If I'm recalling correctly, it's been awhile)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jesus Christ. Why is this comic so praised?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yes and no. That scene in particular was horrendous but the book has this stuff all throughout. As someone else mentioned, the main thrust of WWZ the book is that apartheid turned out to be actually good because it was awesome practice for the apocalypse. All the limp wristed liberals had to take their lumps and admit Israel and South Africa were right this whole time!

That it was written by Mel Brooks's son makes the whole thing even weirder.

I didn't remember the South African stuff. That is pretty terrible. I remember it being more "lets put aside our differences and work together to survive the zombie apocalypse."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's a novel, comprised of a bunch of anthology-style vignettes of different countries dealing with the problem.

It's pretty bad in retrospect, but when I was a teenager I thought it was neat. Most zombie stories are confined to just the characters POVs, so it was novel to see it from 10,000 feet instead of ground-level.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

punk rebel ecks posted:

It’s not a comic, it’s a book. I read it probably close to when it came out in 2006 and I wasn’t thinking about a lot of that stuff back then. The appeal is that someone spent a lot of time seriously considering “ok, what would actually happen if a zombie outbreak occurred?” This was during the heyday of zombie popularity and built on his earlier book “The Zombie Survival Guide.”

I keep getting Max Brooks and Max Landis mixed up too; does Brooks have any other problematic aspects?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

I keep getting Max Brooks and Max Landis mixed up too; does Brooks have any other problematic aspects?

He teaches at West Point, so at the very least he's adjacent to war crimes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's been a while but I don't really remember the chud stuff in WWZ being defended that hard. Like, I remember the tone of the apartheid stuff treating it as basically a stopped-clock moment for an ideology that's otherwise 100% evil and untenable.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

InterrupterJones posted:

Not sure what everyone else thinks of it, but I quite enjoyed Carnival Row. I don't know if it's based on any prior source material, but for my small scope of reference, the closest I could think was if they took the concept of Bright and actually made it good.

Yeah, I also liked it even though the mandatory gratuitous nudity combined with the subject matter make it seem like someone on the production team has some interesting fetishes.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

He teaches at West Point, so at the very least he's adjacent to war crimes.
Well that explains the Israel fetish

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

Well that explains the Israel fetish

He is Jewish.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

IIRC there was also something like Americans sailing to Cuba?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There was weird time capsule of the ‘00s in there too. Like the plague spreading so wide so fast because the Chinese government executed early infected without knowing about the infection and sold the organs on the black market and Bill Maher and Ann Coulter dying because they were too busy hooking up to realize the rich compound they were staying in was falling.

Oh and Russia putting all fertile women into breeding camps.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

He is Jewish.
I feel like being involved in the military industrial complex makes you much more likely to support what Israel does than simply being Jewish

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

punk rebel ecks posted:

IIRC there was also something like Americans sailing to Cuba?

I think I remember that Cuba was like, the most stable democracy in the post-zombie world because of their system of letting refugees 'work their way up' or something.

To me the dumbest bit was the hikkikomori that found his neighbor's Hanzo steel as he escaped his apartment complex, and teamed up with a blind gardener zen-Master type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
WWZ is a very mean movie, I mean, if we take it at face value the Israel scene is basically saying that any sort of solidarity is dumb and why Rome fell or smth