Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The schedule will also be adjusted slightly next week, with the next PH part going up on Monday since we're streaming Hyrule Warriors on Sunday.
Also I realized I miscounted how many parts of PH there are and when they would all be public. PH will actually conclude on September 1, and Spirit Tracks will start going public later that week on Friday the 5th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Our second-to-last visit to the Temple of the Ocean King is followed by a bunch of sidequests everyone loves and remembers.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Ok, THIS is the general area where I gave up on the game. I specifically remember that "oh you want to play with the D-pad? Too bad, dur hur hur" message in the Temple of the Ocean King.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

A confusing pair of islands before a pretty fun final dungeon.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

While I can't say anything about this game in particular, the Stalfos in the 2D Zelda games jump away from melee attacks, but are vulnerable to ranged attacks. Shooting them probably would have worked better than stabbing.

I like how they jump out with their arms outstretched. They just want a hug.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Final dungeon proper of Phantom Hourglass, and it makes one of the best cases for the game's existence.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ok, Ciela using the hammer instead of Link is absolutely hilarious and might be the best thing in this game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That's a good twist on a sub item that makes sense in context of the game. It's like a point and click adventure, only you're pointing with a hammer and hammering with a hammer :v:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
That boss was one of the best things about this game, and I remember laughing almost maniacally when I fought it and just hammered it to pieces. It was an even better game of whack-a-mole than Volvagia.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The penultimate part has us completing the Phantom Sword, clearing out all remaining side content, and going on one final trek down the Temple of the Ocean King.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can I use the fishing tips from this game to catch fish better IRL?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a shame Nintendo's criminally embarrassed of their DS Zelda games. Having people mess with Link for his odd mannerisms like swiping the hourglass mid twirl is great.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

It's the final showdown with Bellum before PizzaJoe sails off for the last time, probably.

But fear not, as this Tuesday, his bigger jackass of a grandson, Toots♪, sets off on his own adventure in Spirit Tracks!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Thanks for the LP, Thorn and Yoshi

Goodbye, PizzaJoe and Linebeck. It was nice sailing with you two.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When BellumBeck is spinning, you can do one to counter him and get an easier hit in.

Can't wait for Linebeck and LineBeck (Possessed) in Hyrule Warriors 2.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, Bellum is so painfully just...not there that I really forgot what he looked like. I remembered (vaguely) the Dark Linebeck fight but I completely forgot that Bellum itself was this weird, lame squid thing. I mean if you look back they basically drew it in the stylized scenes of Oshus talking about him being attacked as the Ocean King, but it looked like such a vague "EVIL FORCE" that you couldn't tell.

The moment I saw the multi level arena memories I had long forgotten (or repressed) came flooding back because that fight is so...ugh.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

When BellumBeck is spinning, you can do one to counter him and get an easier hit in.

Can't wait for Linebeck and LineBeck (Possessed) in Hyrule Warriors 2.

Linebeck with Linebellum as a stand
That way you can reference this game and Spirit Tracks at the same time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ThornBrain posted:

But fear not, as this Tuesday, his bigger jackass of a grandson, Toots♪, sets off on his own adventure in Spirit Tracks!

so to set expectations, is Toots♪ more or less belligerent than Evil DRUNK? :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Didn't they upload two episodes of Spirit Tracks early? I can't find them.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RareAcumen posted:

Didn't they upload two episodes of Spirit Tracks early? I can't find them.

I know Spirit Tracks is up on the Patreon, and I think mostly done, but to us goonish non-patrons it is locked behind the gate of time.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Following the muted response to Phantom Hourglass, Nintendo gave the touch-only controls another shot with a sequel: Spirit Tracks. But where Phantom Hourglass often felt like a half-hearted tech demo, Spirit Tracks was a complete game with surprisingly good writing, excellent music, Zelda as a (sort-of) controllable main character with a personality, and... unfortunately, spottier gameplay. Replacing the boat with a train was certainly a unique decision that sets the game apart from other Zeldas, but it also results in a more needlessly drawn-out experience, allowing much less freedom of movement and taking much longer to get anywhere. The dungeons and dungeon items are also less enjoyable, and though the Tower of Spirits doesn't have to be replayed completely every time like the Temple of the Ocean King, the later sections are brutally obtuse.
Nintendo wouldn't put out a truly great new DS/3DS game until A Link Between Worlds, but Spirit Tracks is at least a good one with a lot to offer to the patient player. Despite its own flaws, it manages to stand up taller than its predecessor on personality alone.

100 years after PizzaJoe, Tetra, and their pirate friends sailed off to found a new Hyrule, their new kingdom is due for an invasion of evil, right on the day excitable young train engineer Toots♪ earns his engineering certification. At the ceremony, Princess Zelda secretly requests his aid in discovering what is happening with the titular Spirit Tracks, the magical train tracks that her grandmother Tetra used to seal away the evil king Malladus when she and her crew arrived. Unfortunately for them, someone very close to Zelda is behind it, eager to return Malladus to power and steal Zelda's body for his use. It's up to Toots♪ and a ghostified Zelda to explore the four quadrants of New Hyrule, restore the Spirit Tracks, get Zelda's body back from Malladus, and put him under for good.

This will be an essentially-100% run. I.E.: I will be getting all of the major collectibles including Heart Containers, bunnies and upgrades, but I won't be wasting my time on train cars.
I am joined once again by Mugiwara Yoshi and Skippy Granola, though due to our various erratic schedules, Skippy had to drop out after part 6.
This LP was originally exclusive to my Patreon patrons, going up alongside Phantom Hourglass in private in its entirety before it began going public.

Fabulous post-video art by Lore Cox/Mischievousart!

-------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 28, 2020

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm barely five minutes in and I already love Toots♪.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love that the villain of this game (or at least the Zant) is an evil, demonic leprechaun.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I love that the villain of this game (or at least the Zant) is an evil, demonic leprechaun.

Such a messy eater, though. Somehow two halves of an entire croissant ended up on the top of his head.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the end of Phantom Hourglass, I think the game itself took place in the greater world Hyrule was (flooded to death) in*, but Bellum dragged them into some kind of pocket dimension with the Ocean King's power or something during the final boss fight. Mainly because of Linebeck sailing away during the ending, partly because Ciela implies it's just the spirits and the Ocean King that need to return to "their world," and also because the game doesn't make any god damned sense otherwise. With a sprinkling of "I hate 'it was all just a dream, ooooOOoooOOOOOOOoooo~' plots."

As for Spirit Tracks, I haven't played or seen a single minute of it before now, as Phantom Hourglass put me off to the idea of ever playing it. So uh, I guess we'll see.

*Obviously they are not in the Great Sea, but allowing for the possibility that Hyrule is/was not the only land or kingdom on the face of the planet.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Commander Keene posted:

This is what happens when you steal too many of his Lucky Charms

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm really glad Linebeck got to be a hero at the end!

KieranWalker posted:

Regarding the end of Phantom Hourglass, I think the game itself took place in the greater world Hyrule was (flooded to death) in*, but Bellum dragged them into some kind of pocket dimension with the Ocean King's power or something during the final boss fight. Mainly because of Linebeck sailing away during the ending, partly because Ciela implies it's just the spirits and the Ocean King that need to return to "their world," and also because the game doesn't make any god damned sense otherwise. With a sprinkling of "I hate 'it was all just a dream, ooooOOoooOOOOOOOoooo~' plots."

As for Spirit Tracks, I haven't played or seen a single minute of it before now, as Phantom Hourglass put me off to the idea of ever playing it. So uh, I guess we'll see.

*Obviously they are not in the Great Sea, but allowing for the possibility that Hyrule is/was not the only land or kingdom on the face of the planet.

Yeah I'm very confused by this. The fact that they were only gone 10 minutes would imply that the whole game after they boarded the ghost ship was in this other world, but then the fact that Linebeck shows up with his ship in Hyrule lends some credence to your theory since dumping him in some alternate reality seems uh, cruel?

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 4, 2019

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
What I've gathered from this first video is that Toots♪ is a distant relative of Scooter from Borderlands.

Also yeah, Chancellor Cole is... quite a character.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yapping Eevee posted:

What I've gathered from this first video is that Toots♪ is a distant relative of Scooter from Borderlands.

Also yeah, Chancellor Cole is... quite a character.
Catch-A-Traaaaaaaaiiiiiiin™!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You're probably gonna think I'm stupid and/or possibly insane but I keep hearing Toots as "~chu", making me think of Sailor Iron Mouse and that Rat Deva from Digimon Tamers.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Zelda's death didn't last very long.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

It's been two videos, and I don't like Toots♪ anymore.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I don't like Zelda's Nintendo's handholding.

At least the railroading makes sense!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Putting Zelda in a Phantom body and having her come around was such a fun idea that my interest in every other dungeon immediately dropped- till I got to them because I didn't know if they'd have Phantoms in other dungeons at that point-, because holy poo poo that's such a fun dynamic!

They should tear her soul out of her body more often so she can actually be a character more often!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

I don't like Zelda's Nintendo's handholding.

To be fair, it's important to remember that games didn't do much become more hand holding, the hand holding was just in the manual which became less cost effective as cartridge and disc space became less of an issue.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

When I first played this, it took me ages to get the pun in Anjean's name. I pronounced it with a French accent for some reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jade Rider posted:

When I first played this, it took me ages to get the pun in Anjean's name. I pronounced it with a French accent for some reason.

Yeah, uh I didn't know it was a pun till you showed up

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jade Rider posted:

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, uh I didn't know it was a pun till you showed up

I don't get it.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

KieranWalker posted:

I don't get it.

Anjean is pronounced like "Engine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker