Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah, what is that Welcome Home mechanic?

Oh, it’s just an activated ability they’re calling welcome home. Is that any different than a standard ability?

it seems like it'd work like a split card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

it seems like it'd work like a split card

Yeah, agreed- the layout of the card preyed upon my dumbness

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean speculation about what it means is part of the whole thing of revealing cards like this

here's another one:

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1169022264182038531

I'm hoping it's something like a once-per-turn activated ability and not just a creature//spell split card

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I wonder if it's something like a sorcery that you can tap the critter and pay the mana cost to cast. The 'adventure' keyword seems like it could justify tying the card up for a turn.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1169024999765749761

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjfa-wJNnw

Except Beauty is the dork in this situation...

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Bittersweet and strange....
Finding you can change....
Unexpectedlyyyy

Beauuuuty and the beast...

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I wonder if Adventures require food? Something like treasure tokens, food can be sacrificed to go on an adventure?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Propaganda Hour posted:

I wonder if Adventures require food? Something like treasure tokens, food can be sacrificed to go on an adventure?

Wouldn't that be an incredibly parasitic mechanic a la energy in Kaladesh?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

GrandpaPants posted:

Wouldn't that be an incredibly parasitic mechanic a la energy in Kaladesh?

Yes, but it's Wizards we're talking here. It takes them 5-10 tries to learn their lesson.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

New thread title: Elemental Token and the Beast

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Funky Valentine posted:

New thread title: Elemental Token and the Beast

Yeah Beast into Scampering Scorcher makes for a decent curve/polycule.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

These cards look lovely

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yes, but it's Wizards we're talking here. It takes them 5-10 tries to learn their lesson.
And in many cases we're not at 5-10 yet so set sail for more artifact blocks, over parastic mechanics and dredge stuff being broken for another ten years at least

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

dunno why but from teh card it looks like you can only cast the spell if the card is on the battlefield, also its most likely repeatably cast. think of it like a sorcery card held by the creature its printed on, once it dies it goes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So it looks like you cast the creature and then the creature tells a story so I’m assuming it’s just a weird frame instead of taking over the whole text box to explain how it works. The only question is whether or not the creature can read the page or whatever when it’s summoning sick.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zyla posted:

dunno why but from teh card it looks like you can only cast the spell if the card is on the battlefield, also its most likely repeatably cast. think of it like a sorcery card held by the creature its printed on, once it dies it goes

this felt more of the case when the sorcery wasn't 'pay G for a 1/1 token'

edit: five more cards from LRR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuYXkuW8Q4

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 4, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah this set is gonna be real, real dumb

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

She becomes a Human Merfolk with a mind full of VENGEANCE. Make fun of me for being a wallflower, will you!

But so far this set is exactly what I wanted. Also I think the last version of Run Away Together was playable at 4U delve, that effect is more powerful than it looks.

flatluigi posted:

this felt more of the case when the sorcery wasn't 'pay G for a 1/1 token'
Both effects are unreal if repeatable in limited. Making six power for seven mana is better than most late game topdecks.

Ability is going to be more complicated than that.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if the sorcery half is castable either from your hand or the battlefield, but casting from the battlefield would mean sacrificing the creature. It would make less sense in the case of the Beast, but a 3-mana 5/5 with a downside that it can easily fix seems a little too generous.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
After playing my horse tribal for a bit I've decided that Eldraine better have some loving horses in it

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Wait why is Cinderella's shoe re - oh. Ooooh.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spiderdrake posted:

She becomes a Human Merfolk with a mind full of VENGEANCE. Make fun of me for being a wallflower, will you!

But so far this set is exactly what I wanted. Also I think the last version of Run Away Together was playable at 4U delve, that effect is more powerful than it looks.
Both effects are unreal if repeatable in limited. Making six power for seven mana is better than most late game topdecks.

Ability is going to be more complicated than that.

The last version of Run Away Together was Peel From Reality and it was roughly a C-

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lone Goat posted:

The last version of Run Away Together was Peel From Reality and it was roughly a C-
Yeah unless there's a big token subtheme in general and a ETB subtheme in blue I don't think Run Away Together is going to be better than a C

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well now we know what Food does.

https://twitter.com/LJB_FGC/status/1169081598823870464

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm guessing food will be multi purpose. Like the default is "Sac for life" but like the Goose can convert food into Mana, I bet other cards can do more.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hope there's a Food Hoser that just eats all the food on the battlefield and turns it into +1/+1 counters on itself

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Eej posted:

Hope there's a Food Hoser that just eats all the food on the battlefield and turns it into +1/+1 counters on itself

I got you

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Eej posted:

Hope there's Ensoul Artifact so I can kill someone with a sandwich

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Plus spells that turn everything or anything into Food.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My dailies needed a lot of black cards so I made a deck out of 30 Rat Colonies and 30 Swamps and killed five people in a row with Unlimited Rat Works.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Is Repeated Reverberation any good? I've been playing this a little bit.

2 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
3 Sarkhan the Masterless (WAR) 143
4 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator (WAR) 146
3 Chandra, Novice Pyromancer (M20) 128

3 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
4 Amplifire (RNA) 92

4 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Repeated Reverberation (M20) 156
4 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
2 Lava Axe (M19) 150
4 Carnival // Carnage (RNA) 222

11 Mountain (M20) 276
6 Swamp (M20) 272
4 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245

Amplifire is bad but I like bad cards so... whatever. I think Lava Axe is as well but smacking someone for 15 is super rad. Also I beat a deck that was using those dumb make a zombie token lands.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Eww.

Flying mana bear.

Faerie Miscreant's big brother joined a violence gang.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 4, 2019

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm thinking of building a deck with a lot of amass and zombies. If my zombie token gets exiled by a prison type effect will I be able to use a card/ability to sacrifice it or will it be untargetable and keep sucking up my amass counters?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I'm thinking of building a deck with a lot of amass and zombies. If my zombie token gets exiled by a prison type effect will I be able to use a card/ability to sacrifice it or will it be untargetable and keep sucking up my amass counters?

If it gets exiled it's no longer on the battlefield so you will neither need nor be able to sacrifice at all. If it gets hit by a Pacifism effect, you will need to sacrifice it because it remains in play and all your counters will have to go onto it. However those cards are rarely if ever Standard playable so it's probably not a major concern.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think the effect is repeatable, because flavorwise it makes no sense for there to be 6/9/12 bears or more than one Belle.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The adventure puts the card into exile, where you can then play it as a creature.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

GrandpaPants posted:

The adventure puts the card into exile, where you can then play it as a creature.

Yep! Here's a new one to use as an example:

You can either play the creature as is

-OR-

Pay the 2 mana, get a creature card from your graveyard and put it in your hand, put Order of Midnight into exile, then pay the additional 2 mana now or later to play the 2/2 flyer.

Another one that actually looks good to use:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Can you cast the creature first and then adventure at instant speed to protect it from board wipe?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Order of Midnight looks really good if you frame it as a flying Gravedigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm going to play Historic Knights, I don't care if it's good or not