Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I just played games smoked pot dropped out way easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I just played games smoked pot dropped out way easier

And then a couple years later I was in the army.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

colachute posted:

And then a couple years later I was in the army.

i got my army out of the way then did school

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ I smoked weed before, during and after the army. Thanks battalion secret squirrel, for calling me when a piss test was coming down, you earned your cases of beer. I also dropped out of high school, in addition to dropping out of college many years later. Get on my wasted potential level. Or don't, that'd be wiser.

I'm going to tweet the same basic message at youtube every day for a while. Started out like this the other day:

quote:

Hey @YouTube how about when I block a user or channel, you stop recommending their videos to me.

Today I added a 'goddamn' to it. Gonna add more profanity and demands daily (when I remember). Because I'm loving sick of watching one Forgotten Weapons video, and my feed being filled with chud garbage videos for a loving week.

I don't mind going to a persons' channel and blocking it. When I block poo poo, I don't want to loving see it. gently caress youtube, it's too goddamn simple of a fix. Maybe I should yell this into gbs.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 4, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
go into your watch history and delete it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I didn't think about that. Huh. Now to get rid of simon whistler videos (toptenz).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

forgotten weapon is the one gun channel
i watch too

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

youtube keeps trying to sneak in that lovely linus tech guy in my feed too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's like autism pumped straight into my eyeballs. Dude is great, does his homework, finds exceptionally weird poo poo.

His fans can be... less rational.

E: not linus, forgotten weapons dude whose name escapes me at the moment.

Ian. poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My YouTube strategy now is to have my main browser open to it, hit refresh a few times until there's something recommended I might be interested in that I've previously never seen, and then open it in Incognito mode. Then I go down the sidebar from that individual video and close the whole thing out when I'm done. It's insanely stupid that I have to do this but it keeps all the chud poo poo out of my recommendations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's like autism pumped straight into my eyeballs. Dude is great, does his homework, finds exceptionally weird poo poo.

His fans can be... less rational.

E: not linus, forgotten weapons dude whose name escapes me at the moment.

Ian. poo poo.

yeah ian is a cool dude who can talk about guns without going chud.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's beyond me. I mostly keep youtube to my xbone. If I use the app on my phone, it's usually to block a channel.

Still annoying as hell.

I think cute puppy videos might be why I get makeup videos. E: contrapoints. That's why. Thanks goons.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
watch and click those youtube preroll ads tia

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

watch and click those youtube preroll ads tia

i pay 15 a month so i dont have to

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I had a two HOUR long ad one night that I woke up in the middle of, no idea what the gently caress it was for. Just woke up, looked at the tv, realized it was an ad, realized how long it was, found the xbox controller, hit skip, and immediately fell back asleep to, well, probably some loving chud video knowing my luck.

Or buzzfeed multiplayer supernatural.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i pay 15 a month so i dont have to

i have a little box next to my router so i dont have to

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I would like to think I'm a bit of good luck as my last two hospice patients (Korean War-era vets) have stabilized/improved back off hospice. One was an infantryman in Korea and the other got to spend his time stateside as cadre. Good guys.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Is managing civilian folk less dumb than managing Army folk?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Soulex posted:

Not if they’re former Army.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's a different kind of bullshit. I don't know if I would say it's dumber or smarter.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EBB posted:

i have a little box next to my router so i dont have to

Are you successfully blocking youtube ads with pihole?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They come from the same domain as the main videos so there's no domain to block.

The only thing that kills YouTube add is paying up as far as I can tell.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

forgotten weapon is the one gun channel
i watch too

C&Rsenal is good too. They've put together an ambitious project where they do a video featuring the history of, and also shoot, all the small arms used in World War I.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Even with browser blocks off I get no youtube ads. It has to be the box.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Soulex posted:

Yes. I don’t have to concern myself with what any of my team members do outside of work. They still do the occasional dumb thing but nothing that I would call egregious outside of military standards of rape or a DUI.

What I have found is that people on the manager level are totally ineffective at disciplining/correcting behavior. They are a bunch of non-confrontational, risk-adverse people. I have a less than stellar younger person on my team who does stupid poo poo. My manager does not want to get their hands involved in correcting simple poo poo. Extremely frustrating.

bloops fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 4, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

McNally posted:

C&Rsenal is good too. They've put together an ambitious project where they do a video featuring the history of, and also shoot, all the small arms used in World War I.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

McNally posted:

Mark fixing stuff is my happy place when my nerves are made from spiderweb and my skin is cigarette paper.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I upgraded my nanny cam and the new one stores footage for 24 hours and holy gently caress do I toss and turn a lot. Like multiple times an hour.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It makes you feel old and broken as gently caress, but if tossing and turning is messing with your sleep get a sleep study. If you're not sleeping well it fucks up every other part of your life.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ya, couple not-so-quick bits:

You don’t have to be overweight, have a thicc neck, or snore to have OSA (obstructive sleep apnea). Family history might be relevant, but not a requirement

There’s a dental device as well but most options are a CPAP. There’s both a mask and nostril variety. Newer ones are quite efficient and quiet.

Even if your take home test doesn’t show anything, if still symptomatic, you may do inpatient where you sleep at the hospital/facility and they hook a bunch of crazy wires to your scalp and rest of your body. The take home is just a device you wear overnight and return so they can pull the data.

If you have the slightest inclination, get checked out. Unfortunately, it’s not the solution for everyone’s lack of restorative sleep, but for some, it’s a night/day difference and they feel like a whole new person. I believe the general rule is >5 “episodes” a night to be considered as having OSA, 6-7 being in the probably not gonna change much with a CPAP range. You can find plenty of tests online, some your doctor may use, to give you a point value on the likelihood of you having it based off symptoms. Also good idea to ask folks you share a bed with if you snore or toss/turn a lot.

Not throwing shade at anyone, but regardless of how tired it makes you, alcohol is horrific for your sleep, you don’t go into deep REM, and will toss/turn a lot more.

Also I’m not sure if they entirely understand the science behind it, but there is a correlation between TBIs and OSA. Forgot the details I had read.

In short, sleep apnea is a very real thing, and largely misunderstood. We assume it’s just for overweight senior citizens. It unfortunately wasn’t the solution for me, but I love seeing people where it changes their whole world around.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 4, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

colachute posted:

I upgraded my nanny cam and the new one stores footage for 24 hours and holy gently caress do I toss and turn a lot. Like multiple times an hour.

Melatonin/weed my dude

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I have this thing where I end up laying my head funny and wake up with one of my eyes all irritated. Happened this morning.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I've oriented so much of my life around getting good sleep. After going a few years on Sleepy-time fumes I never want to live like that again

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

Melatonin/weed my dude

I'm a violent sleeper to the point where I can't share a bed with somebody. Have been most of my life. :(

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EBB posted:

I'm a violent sleeper to the point where I can't share a bed with somebody. Have been most of my life. :(

Sodium oxybate my man, brand name: Xyrem.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Sodium oxybate my man, brand name: Xyrem.

Isn't that GHB?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

EBB posted:

I have nightmares occasionally and will punch and kick in my sleep. My wife has been on the receiving end a few times. Weed and melatonin really helped bring all that down. Melatonin helps me get to sleep. Weed helps me stay asleep

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

I have nightmares occasionally and will punch and kick in my sleep. My wife has been on the receiving end a few times. Weed and melatonin really helped bring all that down. Melatonin helps me get to sleep. Weed helps me stay asleep

My dude let me tell you about weed...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If weed doesn't dial down the movement in bed, you just won't remember it.

Also weed increases your heart rate. Like, up to 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
making appointments to see the doctor since i haven't had a proper full checkup in a long time

can't wait to hear i have turbocancer or something