Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eej posted:

I am preordering, 2 cards or not

I'm asking because r/arena is going hard on the pre order boycott and I'm trying to see if actual pre-orderers are balking or it's f2p people trying to convince other people

Theros and Zendikar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Jund deck is fun, a real souped-up Aristocrats thing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shimmer Dragon owns

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

hey kid... want some mana? i got some ʳᵘᵍᵍᵉᵈ ʰ for ya

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
As a relatively new player, what are the stories of Theros and Zendikar?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this expansion Shrek

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

zoux posted:

I'm asking because r/arena is going hard on the pre order boycott and I'm trying to see if actual pre-orderers are balking or it's f2p people trying to convince other people

Do yourself a favour and stop reading that cesspool of a subreddit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only way to really boycott is to stop playing MTGA entirely.

Which, if you enjoy the game, is stupid. Just let redditors rage out for you and hope they change their minds about Historic WCs.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This Brawl event is exactly how I was hoping they'd introduce the format. I still think people being pissed about historic is reasonable, and Wizards has a pattern of pushing out bad things only to walk them back when people get angry, so I think the reddit rage is fine, but I'm about as pumped for Standard as I could be.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

Is this expansion Shrek

This expansion trailer is full Shrek.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Historic is such an economic clusterfuck on an innate level that there was going to be something stupid and I'm just riding it out.

This set looks so genuinely fun I'm cool with it, historic will sort by the time it's deep enough to be a good format, also twin Aryans got a 3 cmc single walker, lol

Oceanbound posted:

Do yourself a favour and stop reading that cesspool of a subreddit.
It can be pleasant when it isn't in angry mode but whole poo poo gently caress does it get bad. There was a post with a title like "this isn't anchor theory but boiling frog!!!" and my eyes rolled around my loving head so much it hurt.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know the actual story-stories that well, but Theros is the ancient Greek myth set and Zendikar is like the wilderness adventure set

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

An Ogre with trample and vigilance that can attack without being blocked if you have a Swamp.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zendikar is crazy mana plane with the Roil (of whom Omnath is the Locus) which constantly reshapes the land. So it's dangerous and untamed and also where the Eldrazi were imprisoned for a while by Ugin, Sorin and Nahiri. They got out though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Oh man Seb unleashed in a fairy tale setting set is gonna be some hella good artwork, same with Guay and Di Teriilissi

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

Zendikar is crazy mana plane with the Roil (of whom Omnath is the Locus) which constantly reshapes the land. So it's dangerous and untamed and also where the Eldrazi were imprisoned for a while by Ugin, Sorin and Nahiri. They got out though.
Also the vampires have handlebars

I still don't understand what the loving deal with that is

Doltos posted:

Oh man Seb unleashed in a fairy tale setting set is gonna be some hella good artwork, same with Guay and Di Teriilissi
He was pretty coy about running another KS so soon but I feel like there's going to be a lot of demand

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Also the vampires have handlebars

I still don't understand what the loving deal with that is

So you can ride them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

Who here is not pre ordering when they otherwise would due to the historical two card thing

I am waiting until we have more set spoilers. No sense in pre-ordering on day 1 when you get the same thing if you buy the last day.

2 WCs for each card in Historic is so stupid I expect they'll reverse it before Historic launches and never actually intended for it to happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Patch notes and a brawl primer with all the rewards listed

-Improved overall game performance when playing for extended periods of time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
these brawl decks are really fun

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This commander event has me super pumped. Commander is the one thing that can truly save everyone from the monotony of ladder.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

Zendikar: Indiana Jones world where adventurers brave deathtrap dungeons and a world constantly freaking out everywhere. (First block: The original trilogy, Second block: Crystal Skull.) Turns out the dark secret causing the world to act that was were the Eldrazi who escape and massacre almost everyone. Set 2: The Jacetice League band together with all the adventurers to defeat the Eldrazi with fire.

Theros: It's Ancient Greece and the Gods all suck rear end. Enchantment stuff abounds and Elspeth (a white knight Planeswalker lady) ends up serving the gods and gets owned for it. Last left with her in effectively Hades.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Weeeee, the faerie commander deck was fun. Turned their commander into a 1/1 frog.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalli posted:

Theros: It's Ancient Greece and the Gods all suck rear end.

So it's Ancient Greece

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The brawl decks have led to some of the best games of Magic I've played on Arena, but they're a huge step up in complexity if you aren't running a meta deck. There have to be so many confused players right now, because there's nothing explaining any of this.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
This is Theros

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Oh hell yes you can buy all the old guildmaster avatars in the store with gold now.

I wanted the Vraska and it's only 3k now weee

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Oceanbound posted:

This is Theros

I don't think I could be less interested in a picture that's supposed to be interesting

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Theros was

T1: Cloudfin Raptor
T2: Cloudfin Raptor + Cloudfin Raptor
T3: Thassa
T4: Master of Waves, your board is 3 flying 2/2s, a 5/5 indestructible, a 2/2 master of waves and 5 2/1 elementals

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

SalTheBard posted:

Zendikar started off as the dungeons and dragons adventure plane with quests and traps, and really wild powerful mana that constantly reshaped the land. Chandra and Jace were tricked into loosening the seal keeping the eldrazi locked up. Once the little eldrazis were freed, Nissa tried unsuccessfully to find a way to seal them back up, and met up with Sorrin to try and do so. Once they got to the seal, Nissa decides to break the seal instead of fixing it with Sorrin. She thought that that the 3 eldrazi titans would leave zendikar, but nope. Sorrin leaves as he can't/won't deal with the mess that Nissa made worse.

The Battle for Zendikar story is very dumb. Jace and idiots try to contain the eldrazi but it doesnt work. He meets Ugin and Ugin tells them how to move the hedrons around to contain the eldarzi, but Jace says nah lets kill them instead so he changes Ugin's plan. They do that and Chandra burns Kozilek and Ulamog death. Ugin tells them all that they are morons and leaves.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 4, 2019

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So the next core set is for people who like Teferi? If so, they should take advantage of this database to mail out all the promotional material for it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That joke is weird

Eej posted:

Theros was

T1: Cloudfin Raptor
T2: Cloudfin Raptor + Cloudfin Raptor
T3: Thassa
T4: Master of Waves, your board is 3 flying 2/2s, a 5/5 indestructible, a 2/2 master of waves and 5 2/1 elementals
And sometimes for variety Thief of Sanity's dad was involved!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bedurndurn posted:

So the next core set is for people who like Teferi? If so, they should take advantage of this database to mail out all the promotional material for it.

did this joke make sense in your head

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I wonder how many of the people that hate Teferi can't handle being outclassed by an educated black man, and how many are merely just scrubs that suck at magic the gathering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a nuclear take right there

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

For anyone who keeps track of vault progress my checking the output log: looks like Wizards hosed with it, and it's no longer in there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

I wonder how many of the people that hate Teferi can't handle being outclassed by an educated black man, and how many are merely just scrubs that suck at magic the gathering.

Love 2 be pounded in the butt by teferi because I am extremely woke

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Spiderdrake posted:

That joke is weird
And sometimes for variety Thief of Sanity's dad was involved!

Dont forget about mono black devotion as well. Thoughtsieze into pack rat into nightveil spectre into grey merchant draining you for lethal.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I got into Magic with the Dark expansion, which was so my adolescent poo poo. Now I'm getting into Arena with the bloody ol' fairy tale expansion. It feels like history is repeating itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Love 2 be pounded in the butt by teferi because I am extremely woke

Actually Idris Elba is very cool, and also my dad.