Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

omg this sleeve aaaa i love her

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zyla posted:

omg this sleeve aaaa i love her

e: missed this in the announcement

quote:

MTG Arena is officially removing the Open Beta tag on September 26! Play now to earn your Open Beta participation reward Fblthp player avatar and card sleeve while you can.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

pucked? also lmao

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, the mythic Jeskai knight lets you equip anything on knights for 0. So that's what the giant fuckoff hammer is for.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gingerbread lady rules I hope she hosed up Garruk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Gingerbread lady rules I hope she hosed up Garruk

Actually she makes me puck.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Puck, Oko really should turn creatures into donkeys instead of elk.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Do not allow Wizards to try and divert attention or change the issue with ELD previews, Brawl events, or any of the other distracting tactics they will use. Historic MUST remain the primary issue on the community table. 2:1 wildcard conversion remains an indefensible cash grab that jeopardizes long term Arena health and Historic viability. Other Historic changes are also cash grabs masked as positive changes for players. Do not let them change the narrative and make Wizards know this is unacceptable to the community. Make sure Historic problems are at the top of this subreddit and do not spend $$ on products until Wizards fixes this.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can we not do reddit crossposts

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

does anyone else super not care about historic?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Korvold's deck is a ton of fun to pilot. Witch's oven kicks rear end

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

they changed the cat skin for the level 2 stuff, the stripes are much harder to see now :argh:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Played a few games with the knight deck, I like it! Certainly a good demo of brawl even if the deck could use work for consistency. Cool to have a working equipment theme.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eej posted:

Do not allow Wizards to try and divert attention or change the issue with ELD previews, Brawl events, or any of the other distracting tactics they will use. Historic MUST remain the primary issue on the community table. 2:1 wildcard conversion remains an indefensible cash grab that jeopardizes long term Arena health and Historic viability. Other Historic changes are also cash grabs masked as positive changes for players. Do not let them change the narrative and make Wizards know this is unacceptable to the community. Make sure Historic problems are at the top of this subreddit and do not spend $$ on products until Wizards fixes this.

Unbelievable the lengths they'll go to, doing previews and spoilers and such.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zyla posted:

I'm glad it exists but I'm definitely getting tired of seeing the same decks and cards that we've seen for basically the full length of Arena and I wasn't really going to touch it until I got bored of post-rotation Standard (and/or if it gets shaken up at all by new cards)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One's a lot more affordable than the other if you've been grinding out cards for the last year, since you don't have to buy (make) that many new cards.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's guaranteed to be interesting because they've basically said sky's the limit for injected cards

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zyla posted:

I would've liked them to use it to basically make a new form of Modern and as a gateway to eventually putting every card in Arena but I'm not throwing myself on the floor screaming in agony like all of reddit seems to be because of the 2:1. I'm honestly more peeved/annoyed at only being able to buy sets in 45 packs with gems.

I have no issues spending $$$ on this game because I can definitely afford it and it's way cheaper than trying to do paper.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zyla posted:

Historic will be fine at 2:1, I've decided. But it'll be most fine for people who started playing before they announced its creation.

Modern lists are mostly made up of former Standard cards, it's not like there are a ton of cards that were no good at all in standard that suddenly became format staples in Modern. If you enjoy playing aggressive base-red decks, chances are you'll have most of the cards on rotation. Same for Kaya's Wrath or whatever. I don't enjoy counter-control in Standard, so I'm pretty sure I won't love the Historic version enough to feel like I missed out.

It will suck for the kinds of people who really get off on playing off-meta nonsense, because the Arena issue of bad cards costing the same as good ones gets twice as bad. So if some streamer breaks the format using one of the dumb red EDH enchantments or something, we're all screwed.

I did go through and craft a dozen or so 1-ofs, just in case Historic Brawl becomes a thing and I want to be able to play a Mox Amber or whatever.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Huxley posted:

Historic will be fine at 2:1, I've decided. But it'll be most fine for people who started playing before they announced its creation.

Modern lists are mostly made up of former Standard cards, it's not like there are a ton of cards that were no good at all in standard that suddenly became format staples in Modern. If you enjoy playing aggressive base-red decks, chances are you'll have most of the cards on rotation. Same for Kaya's Wrath or whatever. I don't enjoy counter-control in Standard, so I'm pretty sure I won't love the Historic version enough to feel like I missed out.

It will suck for the kinds of people who really get off on playing off-meta nonsense, because the Arena issue of bad cards costing the same as good ones gets twice as bad. So if some streamer breaks the format using one of the dumb red EDH enchantments or something, we're all screwed.

I did go through and craft a dozen or so 1-ofs, just in case Historic Brawl becomes a thing and I want to be able to play a Mox Amber or whatever.

I dunno, there's a decent number of cards that are good but have absolutely no standard support meaning they fit in no decks and therefore see no play. The most obvious example atm is probably Mystic Forge which just got restricted in Vintage of all places yet by all accounts any attempts to make a (poo poo) standard artifacts deck actually cuts copies of it because standard artifacts cannot support shopping at all and the """"best"""" artifact decks basically have to be faster and rely on tempo/board to win games fast.

Now granted, in Vintage Mystic Forge has the advantage of lots of deck-shuffling effects to up its power-level, so it's plausible that in formats without fetchlands and the like it will never become good enough to see play outside jank. But I'm sure there'll be a good number of cards in similar situations of 'good but has no place' that eventually burst into the Historic meta. Hell, it even happens in Standard all the time - the Kethis combo lists have some Dominaria cards - especially in the sideboard - that would justifiably be called real garbage and probably nobody expected to ever see play (since they're not good enough for Modern or other evergreen formats) but still found a way. Like has anyone in history ever put Teshar in a deck and expected a >40% winrate before M20 dropped?

The thing about these cards is yeah, MOST cards that are good in historic will have been good in standard too. But I'd say of the group of cards that weren't good in standard but successfully make the transition to historic meta, the rarity is gonna be super skewed towards rare cards rather than common/uncommon. Probably more so than mythics too but that isn't so relevant. That quickly gets expensive even if you only have to craft 4 - 6 cards in a deck.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 4, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

you should be pissed at wizards tho

it is indeed bullshit and they pull this kind of thing every chance they get

finally got my kaya avatar :krad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At first blush, it seems to me that standard is also gonna generate way more revenue than historic.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe eventually they introduce special "Historic-only Wild Cards" and start giving them out as rewards for the weekly event things. Four commons, two uncommons, one rare for your six wins.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

TipTow posted:

For anyone who keeps track of vault progress my checking the output log: looks like Wizards hosed with it, and it's no longer in there.

You need to enable detailed logs in the account settings.

This is also apparently needed to any trackers, unless they're going to be updated to work with limited logs (if it's possible).

mmkay fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 4, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Honestly I'm more annoyed about them shoving Bob and Brainstorm straight into historic. Would have been nice for it to be it's own format instead of just dumping in must-buys from legacy and modern.

I also don't spend money on the game and don't plan to, so

Zyla posted:

you should be pissed at wizards tho

it is indeed bullshit and they pull this kind of thing every chance they get

finally got my kaya avatar :krad:

Same :cheers:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Someone let Tajic into the knight deck. Look at him in that goofy golden armour. No horse. Not even a real knight.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Injecting good cards into Historic is the only thing keeping it from being Super-Vampires vs Super-Dinos vs RDW vs Azcanta Esper forever and ever

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
The faerie brawl deck seems overpowered compared to the rest. Being able to generate poo poo-tons of decent token flyers and frogify your opponent's commander seems busted. I felt bad doing the latter since I've been on the receiving end of a frogify when I played some of the other decks and it sucks having your commander be just completely shut down. But I wanted to that Order of Midnight play set.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Variance is obviously a thing, but I lost a fair amount with the first two decks and never lost with the last two, with some of the games from the latter pair being pretty clear blowouts.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If your opponent kills Alela and aggros early a lot of the time you just end up flailing with a lot of useless artifacts in hand I've found.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Sinteres posted:

Variance is obviously a thing, but I lost a fair amount with the first two decks and never lost with the last two, with some of the games from the latter pair being pretty clear blowouts.

Isn't that just singleton.txt because the card quality varies so much?

Also hope people are ready for a lot of Yarok and Feather in Brawl!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't that just singleton.txt because the card quality varies so much?

Sure, I don't think I have a firm tier list down because of the games I played alone. I do think knights are likely to be the weakest though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

Also hope people are ready for a lot of Yarok and Feather in Brawl!

I’ve got both built ready and rarin to go!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I think my favorite is the Savage Hunter deck. Lots of good removal, lots of good synergy with the sacrifices. I'm 4-0 with it and 2-6 with the rest of the decks combined.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So how’s post-patch performance

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I think my favorite is the Savage Hunter deck. Lots of good removal, lots of good synergy with the sacrifices. I'm 4-0 with it and 2-6 with the rest of the decks combined.

I'm 0-2 so far seems like if you don't draw the right combo of sac outlets and fodder generator you're kinda boned

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eldrain decks are bad, whoever draws removal first wins.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Zyla posted:

If it's anything like on Hearthstone it will just be full of degenerate decks with the most insufferable cards you were ready to never see again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chefscientist posted:

If it's anything like on Hearthstone it will just be full of degenerate decks with the most insufferable cards you were ready to never see again.

Naga Giants v Tempo Shaman all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Arglebargle III posted:

Eldrain decks are bad, whoever draws removal first wins.

After a bunch more play this seems accurate.