Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm thinking of giving the Dark Crystal show a go. I never saw the movie, but I just put it on and am immediately hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm thinking of giving the Dark Crystal show a go. I never saw the movie, but I just put it on and am immediately hooked.
You put on the movie or the show? Netflix has the movie now too, so you might as well watch that first if you haven't already.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I watched all of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix in one day. It's a really funny sketch show with Tim Robinson. If you're into that kind of thing watch the first 5 minutes of the first episode and you'll be hooked.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mystes posted:

You put on the movie or the show? Netflix has the movie now too, so you might as well watch that first if you haven't already.
I meant I'm watching the movie.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

computer angel posted:

I watched all of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix in one day. It's a really funny sketch show with Tim Robinson. If you're into that kind of thing watch the first 5 minutes of the first episode and you'll be hooked.

Yeah it's hilarious. It's a bit uneven, but when it lands it had me in stitches. Mudpie and the hot dog guy were the standouts for me.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Yeah it's hilarious. It's a bit uneven, but when it lands it had me in stitches. Mudpie and the hot dog guy were the standouts for me.

The hotdog sketch and the one immediately after where he has to hide that he's choking on a pig in a blanket had me dying.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I loved the 1950s recording session too, where Mather Zickel is singing this Johnny Cash-style ballad, and Tim keeps interrupting with this improvised garbage song about skeletons coming to life, weirdly focusing on what they use for money.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
loving Wayne got cancelled by Youtube (along with a bunch of other stuff they had going).

Watched Mindhunter season 2. I watched season 1 as a refresher because it was so long ago and I now realize that I had mistaken this show for something else. I figured it was some kind of True Detective-esque delving into the unknown, because I hadn't bothered to look up the serial killers they were interviewing or any of the setting. I had assumed the story was entirely fictional set against a backdrop of 'real' serial killers like Manson and Son of Sam, but apparently it is a straight faced portrayal of fictionalised historical events and people. I find this confusing because depicting real serial killers would, to me, seem disrespectful to their victims and those who knew them, and put the killers unduly into the spotlight. It also seems like the characters, who I had misjudged as swiftly moving to be confronted with BTK, suddenly have parts of their development just parked after one or two episodes. Hell, entire characters are just parked, and the backstories that I thought were going to flesh them out, have become boring and pointless. Not sure where this will be going.

Legion's third and final season I watched for the same reason I watch the entire show: its loving around with narrative, imagery, setting and design. I don't pay too much attention to the characters and the plot, although the acting is pretty good and the whole thing is entertaining.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Meatgrinder posted:

Watched Mindhunter season 2.

I felt much the same way about s2. Didn't realize the story was real, thought it was a fictional plot. The btk stuff was confusing at first but it fits with what kemper tells them.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Mindhunter works better if you have some knowledge of the facts and serial killers. The BSU was part of the ATL murder investigation, and it makes prefect sense for it be included. It helped make John Douglas (Holden is based on him) famous, and he wrote the true crime book the show is based on. While the main characters are fictional, they are used to represent (in a more manageable way) the FBI agents (and their home life) that worked the BSU during this time. Pretty much everything else seems to based on facts. They actually interviewed Kemper, Manson, and so on. Even the BTK stuff is amazing accurate to what he actually did. Of course it wasn't until 2005 that he was caught. So don't expect any confrontation or progress anytime soon. It actually became a cold case for many years..

While I still think it is a great show, I did prefer season 1. Honestly the ATL child murders scared the poo poo out of me as a kid (I was around 8 or 9 when it became national news). I remember watching the news with my parents and seeing that number just go up.

Funny, on a more extreme level of not knowing what someone might consider general knowledge, I have seen people complaining or confused about Once Upon Time in Hollywood, because they had no idea what Charles Manson did and who Sharon Tate was. That really changes the movie you are watching.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 4, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We just blew through Russian Doll on Netflix in a night and holy poo poo is it great. Smart, funny, dark, scary, and leaves you wanting more when it's over.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I meant I'm watching the movie.

Good. Henson is soooo amazing.

Dark Crystal the movie has some pacing issues but its an amazing fantasy vision.

Haven't tried the series yet but I've heard good things from friends.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just watched the final season of Game of Thrones with my mom, who has binged the entire series in the past couple of weeks.

It wasn't great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Solitair posted:

Just watched the final season of Game of Thrones ... It wasn't great.

Stop the presses! You didn't like the battle for Winterfell?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
here we go again.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Finished The Boys and Happy! with my wife recently; we massively enjoyed both.
Started up Banshee now and it should be up our alley, but the start is underwhelming.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Banshee and Spartacus are two of the most underappreciated TV shows of the last 10 years. I'd say give both of them about 3 episodes before making your decision. I hope you like Banshee.

I just got done blasting through The Boys as well. I really liked it. I usually hate comic book movies, but this one was pretty good. Maybe I just don't like Marvel and DC comic book movies.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
We both found Spartacus fantastic.
I believe it was episode 6 where it blasts off, right? With the Pits I believe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's episode 3 I think? 6 may have been the Bringer of Rain episode.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Solice Kirsk posted:

Banshee and Spartacus are two of the most underappreciated TV shows of the last 10 years. I'd say give both of them about 3 episodes before making your decision.

Genre shows tend to fail at walking the line between action/violence/gore, romance/sex, drama, and camp/humor. They are just unable to get that right balance of tone. Popular genre shows like True Blood (which to me was all over the place) and Sons of Anarchy got it right at certain times, but in the end they completely failed. That said both Banshee and Spartacus walked that line as good as any show has ever walked it. Spartacus is even more insane given the circumstances of not only losing your lead actor, but to give him time to get better by doing an prequel to delay season 2. The fact they nailed the prequel, and on top of that nailed the recasting of Spartacus in season 2 is just amazing.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
If you liked Spartacus, check out the 2-season run on Rome on HBO if you've never seen it. Not as heavy-handed in some respects, but still gory Roman fun & great acting as well.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Haven't tried the series yet but I've heard good things from friends.

The series is kind of a bummer. The puppets and the practical effects are, as you would expect, charming (though the Gelflings look like plastic dolls caked in concealer every time there's a closeup). Unfortunately the writing is, in its brightest moments, tolerable. It's littered with clichés, tonally confused, riddled with plot holes, poorly paced, and the characters act incomprehensibly as often as not. Even if it's disappointing, none of that is shocking: the series is banking on viewers who want to revisit the puppets and the world of Dark Crystal.

What did surprise me is the lazy world building. There's all kinds of delightful little creatures and impressively constructed setpieces, but the writers seem to have spent very little time thinking about how this world or the creatures in it might be and act and live. For a simple example, the Gelflings (who make up at least half of the cast) have the mystical ability to share memories with each other through touch with no apparent opportunity for deception and very little effort. It's strange, though, as the Gelflings are constantly forgetting that they have this ability and then acting surprised when someone reminds them of its existence. Somehow, it doesn't seem to have shaped their culture or society—both an indistinct mishmash of standard medieval fantasy fare—at all. Most of the opportunities to explore the elements that might make for an interesting setting are squandered or ignored.

If you're feeling nostalgic for Dark Crystal or Henson's aesthetic it's probably still worth a watch, but I'd give it a pass otherwise.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 5, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

C2C - 2.0 posted:

If you liked Spartacus, check out the 2-season run on Rome on HBO if you've never seen it. Not as heavy-handed in some respects, but still gory Roman fun & great acting as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NKw7kkrMvw

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love Rome but the combat chroegraphy is pretty pathethic for the most part compared to stuff like Banshee and Spartacus. 13 forever though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rome is basically proto- (early) GoT but tits and togas instead of tits and dragons. It’s all about the political machinations (and tits) more than the action, with a side of the main characters Forrest Gumping their way through history

I wouldn’t really compare it to Spartacus, outside of the setting (and tits)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Posca is the real hero

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wallet posted:

The series is kind of a bummer. The puppets and the practical effects are, as you would expect, charming (though the Gelflings look like plastic dolls caked in concealer every time there's a closeup). Unfortunately the writing is, in its brightest moments, tolerable. It's littered with clichés, tonally confused, riddled with plot holes, poorly paced, and the characters act incomprehensibly as often as not. Even if it's disappointing, none of that is shocking: the series is banking on viewers who want to revisit the puppets and the world of Dark Crystal.

What did surprise me is the lazy world building. There's all kinds of delightful little creatures and impressively constructed setpieces, but the writers seem to have spent very little time thinking about how this world or the creatures in it might be and act and live. For a simple example, the Gelflings (who make up at least half of the cast) have the mystical ability to share memories with each other through touch with no apparent opportunity for deception and very little effort. It's strange, though, as the Gelflings are constantly forgetting that they have this ability and then acting surprised when someone reminds them of its existence. Somehow, it doesn't seem to have shaped their culture or society—both an indistinct mishmash of standard medieval fantasy fare—at all. Most of the opportunities to explore the elements that might make for an interesting setting are squandered or ignored.

If you're feeling nostalgic for Dark Crystal or Henson's aesthetic it's probably still worth a watch, but I'd give it a pass otherwise.

I just burned through the first 4 episodes and IDK, myself and the lady-friend were both riveted.

I do think some of the puppets are better than others... the Grottans looked great! The Skeksis look AMAAAAZING. But the Vapra don't look nearly as good to me, their faces and mouths just... looked like puppets.

Goddamn the Skeksis though, their eyes and tongues and general animations are just so goddamn good.

Mark Hamill and Simon Pegg are both hamming it up 200% and I AM HERE FOR IT.

Seriously the cast is amazing, I only recognized half the voices. Lena Headey, Eddie Izzard, Sigourney Weaver, Keegan-Michael Key, Nathalie Emmanuel...

The writing seemed mostly fine to me? There was some clunky dialogue I would have changed, yeah, but I feel that way about basically everything on TV. I can't imagine how you see the world building as lazy though? Its the most creative work I've seen on TV in a looooong time. As soon as it starts you've got all the Gelfling factions having strong symbols and themes and costume designs... IDK I liked it.

And the set designs! Holy moly. This could have easily all been done in CG, but its mostly practical! And it looks SO good!

I gotta disagree with you hard on that point man. This is Brian Froud's best work. This material has built up over decades, there's so much thought put into every little creature.

Yes, there are moments where it seems like the plot has forgotten about dream-fasting, (which is both a boon and hinderance to the plot) but there's actually explanations for why they can't just use it necessarily if you pay attention.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I love Rome but the combat chroegraphy is pretty pathethic for the most part compared to stuff like Banshee and Spartacus. 13 forever though.

They were constantly going over-budget and learning a lot as they went. That show was such a massive production, they basically got through it by having almost no action scenes at all.

Season 2 is egregiously stripped down and rushes through history real fast.

HBO has said that Game of Thrones never would have been possible without the hard lessons learned (see: mistakes made) on Rome. And even Game of Thrones largely side-steps large conflicts for several seasons.

Rome and Spartacus are two of my all time favorite shows.

If you like them, check out Tudors, Borgia, The Borgias, Vikings and Knightfall!

Wafflecopper posted:

Rome is basically proto- (early) GoT but tits and togas instead of tits and dragons. It’s all about the political machinations (and tits) more than the action, with a side of the main characters Forrest Gumping their way through history

I wouldn’t really compare it to Spartacus, outside of the setting (and tits)

Yeah, Rome is very cerebral, and Spartacus very much IS NOT. Spartacus is entirely a feast for the Id, its all boobs and blood.

Rome has boobs and blood but it also has lots of politics and scheming.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spartacus is more cerebral than just tits and action. I'd say the stuff with Batiatus is up there with anything in Game of Thrones.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Spartacus is more cerebral than just tits and action. I'd say the stuff with Batiatus is up there with anything in Game of Thrones.

Batiatus is a masterclass.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

He's a good character but its really not all that cerebral. "I want to be my own man and my dad holds me back" isn't really all that smart.

E: Maybe with the part where he deceives another character for a double-cross, but that happens once in the whole series.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 6, 2019

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The greatest thing is Spartacus is how everything, all the death and violence, is a result of Batiatus and Lucretia's love for each other.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Wallet posted:

For a simple example, the Gelflings (who make up at least half of the cast) have the mystical ability to share memories with each other through touch with no apparent opportunity for deception and very little effort. It's strange, though, as the Gelflings are constantly forgetting that they have this ability and then acting surprised when someone reminds them of its existence.

I'm about halfway through the show and I think it's pretty good so far. Not the greatest thing ever, but good. Some of your criticisms are on point but at least as far as I've watched this one doesn't really seem like we watched the same show.

They're dreamfasting constantly in every episode, except when they believe the lies told by the Skeksis. Seriously every time Rian meets someone he's like dude just dreamfast with me and they say no the Skeksis said not to.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's episode 3 I think? 6 may have been the Bringer of Rain episode.

It is episode 4, I rewatched it a bit yesterday convincing a friend to watch it while yelling cock, balls and rear end.
Anyway, carry on, fill your bellies.

I'm going to give Banshee a fair try. I'm only a few episodes in, so it might need to come together.
Justified is my favourite show and the first few episodes do not do it justice either.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CeeJee posted:

The greatest thing is Spartacus is how everything, all the death and violence, is a result of Batiatus and Lucretia's love for each other.

The greatest thing about Spartacus is the line “the gods spread cheeks and ram cock in loving rear end.”

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

The greatest thing about Spartacus is the line “the gods spread cheeks and ram cock in loving rear end.”

“Jupiter’s cock!”

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Zaphod42 posted:

They were constantly going over-budget and learning a lot as they went. That show was such a massive production, they basically got through it by having almost no action scenes at all.

Season 2 is egregiously stripped down and rushes through history real fast.

HBO has said that Game of Thrones never would have been possible without the hard lessons learned (see: mistakes made) on Rome. And even Game of Thrones largely side-steps large conflicts for several seasons.

Rome and Spartacus are two of my all time favorite shows.

If you like them, check out Tudors, Borgia, The Borgias, Vikings and Knightfall!

Yeah, Rome is very cerebral, and Spartacus very much IS NOT. Spartacus is entirely a feast for the Id, its all boobs and blood.

Rome has boobs and blood but it also has lots of politics and scheming.

I would add The Last Kingdom to my list of historical, swords & sandals must sees. I need to check out Knightfall next. :hmmyes:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I gotta disagree with you hard on that point man. This is Brian Froud's best work. This material has built up over decades, there's so much thought put into every little creature.

The visual world building is great; that's not the part I have an issue with.

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm about halfway through the show and I think it's pretty good so far. Not the greatest thing ever, but good. Some of your criticisms are on point but at least as far as I've watched this one doesn't really seem like we watched the same show.

They're dreamfasting constantly in every episode, except when they believe the lies told by the Skeksis. Seriously every time Rian meets someone he's like dude just dreamfast with me and they say no the Skeksis said not to.

I'm aware of the explanation for why they can't use it in some cases but that explanation only applies to a single character. The nonsensical stuff, both in that regard and in others, starts to pile up in the back half of the season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I would add The Last Kingdom to my list of historical, swords & sandals must sees. I need to check out Knightfall next. :hmmyes:

Ah yes I really liked Last Kingdom!

Knightfall isn't perfect, there's some pacing issues, but overall I still liked it.

Hard not to appreciate Mark Hamill as a Jedi Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Acht posted:

I'm going to give Banshee a fair try. I'm only a few episodes in, so it might need to come together.
Justified is my favourite show and the first few episodes do not do it justice either.

Banshee and Justified are two of my all-time favorite shows, and I'm convinced any fan of one would enjoy the other.