Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDSet
Mar 28, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Eric Grenier says the NDP could lose official party status

:thunk:

(Maclean's article about 338Canada, you have been warned)

Wouldn't doubt it. I mean, you have people ITT pooping on a very well-liked leader who's been dead for 8 years now.. times are getting desperate for the NDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

The NBNDP has long been the most right-wing section in the country, "former NDP candidates" in that context doesn't mean much, and I wouldn't necessarily put the blame on Jagmeet here.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...-brunswick.html

Both sides are really saying the same thing: the NDP had no interest, so these people left. The lead defector says:

quote:

Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has not visited New Brunswick since he took over as leader in 2017, and the party has not nominated a single candidate in the province, less than two weeks away from the start of the campaign.

“My values haven’t changed. It’s just that I need to get things done, and you can’t get things done if you don’t have even have a candidate in the province,” said Richardson, who also sat on the NDP’s election planning committee.

The NDP communications team called the defectors double secret agents of Andrew Sheer, but also talked up how the NDP still cares about New Brunswick because:

quote:

"We are excited to nominate a full slate of candidates in New Brunswick."

People such as:

:iiam: Same as PEI. And Newfoundland and Labrador.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Doubled.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

"We can't get elected under a brown leader because New Brunswick is too racist, therefore we will be moving to the Greens"

What a bunch of classy dudes!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I am so embarrassed to live in this country sometimes. :cripes:

I'd rather be here than most other countries but it really feels like damning with faint praise.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Whoa, what were the racist things they said?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

just another posted:

Wouldn't most of the big civil rights wins be examples of this (assuming he's talking about not banking on individual politicians)?

We didn't get gay marriage because politicians are heroic, we got it because organized political action made it so they didn't have to be.

Not really. His particular brand of hyper individualistic anti-statism combined with advocacy for private capitalist enterprise is typically the combination you find in American libertarians, whose entire ideology is based around legitimizing white supremacy against movements demanding that the state intervene to prevent discrimination and redistribute wealth.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/LauraBrownCTV/status/1166737144527892481

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Is it the best public health policy?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
CTV just asking questions about public policy. Public policy which is entirely within the provinces' exclusive constitutional prerogative. During a federal election.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Manitoba PCs promised another 15% reduction in management at Crown Corporations, they also promised to completely phase out school taxes on property taxes bills after 2023

quote:

PCs cost out platform
The Progressive Conservatives also released a costed platform on Monday, which vaguely explains how the party, if returned to power, would pay for the promise.

Pallister said his government would save $325 million by asking civil servants, nurses and teachers for their ideas to save money, $200 million by modernizing the procurement process and an extra $200 million from selling "unusable land and properties."

The platform outlines $100 million in savings through an "internal value for money" review, and $31 million by cutting 15 per cent of senior management positions across summary government organizations.

A Progressive Conservative official wouldn't say whether Crown organizations that already reduced senior management as ordered by the government under its previous mandate would have to dig deeper.

We're so hosed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who needs education money anyways.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Helsing posted:

Not really. His particular brand of hyper individualistic anti-statism combined with advocacy for private capitalist enterprise is typically the combination you find in American libertarians, whose entire ideology is based around legitimizing white supremacy against movements demanding that the state intervene to prevent discrimination and redistribute wealth.

Fair enough, I don't follow the thread as closely as I should.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Maneck posted:

CTV just asking questions about public policy. Public policy which is entirely within the provinces' exclusive constitutional prerogative. During a federal election.

Because she's a reporter covering the PEI provincial legislature asking a question of an elected provincial legislator, which doesn't cease to exist just because a federal election might be called soon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Pallister said his government would save $325 million by asking civil servants, nurses and teachers for their ideas to save money

lmao what

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Because she's a reporter covering the PEI provincial legislature asking a question of an elected provincial legislator, which doesn't cease to exist just because a federal election might be called soon.

Indeed. Then that's an excellent question and a terrible answer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

lmao what

"efficiencies", vyelkin. Don't you believe in efficiencies?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Manitoba PCs promised another 15% reduction in management at Crown Corporations, they also promised to completely phase out school taxes on property taxes bills after 2023

Removing school taxes from property tax bills is half a good policy. Leaving local school boards dependent on taxes based on local land values creates funding instability. Also, old timers complain to no end when they see a line item on their taxes for something they don't personally use at this time.

If the school boards are funded out of general government revenues instead, it allows for a needs based distribution of funding and stops a lot of really selfish complaints before they get started.

Not to say there isn't a devil in those details.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://twitter.com/ONHairstylists/status/1167451654645583874?s=19

Of all the PACs, I certainly didn't expect this one to be mad at Dug Ford

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Also: https://twitter.com/MatthewGreenNDP/status/1169068597915860992?s=19

The Ontario Green candidate in my riding also drives a big truck :ironicat:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

infernal machines posted:

"efficiencies", vyelkin. Don't you believe in efficiencies?

People who bitch about efficiencies have never worked in anything vaguely public sector and don't realize how drat close to the bone everything is run compared to the private sector.

It's the assumption that things are still running and therefore there must be *further efficiencies* somewhere because it hasn't all collapsed yet. Especially in healthcare. Yeah sure payroll barely functions, elevators break all of the time, door handles just fall off of stairwell doors, and we had like five fires one week but hey, sure I guess the ICU hasn't literally exploded so I'm sure we can get by with even less funding.

It's the same people who bitch about how long it takes to implement anything in the public sector then scream bloody murder about "mah tax dollars" if things aren't done with a perfect paper trail and airtight process.

I don't know, a lot of Ontario hospitals are going through some rough budget issues right now no thanks to the province while also getting hit with pressure to look like they're reducing "hallway medicine" and it's just incredibly frustrating.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

People who bitch about efficiencies have never worked in anything vaguely public sector and don't realize how drat close to the bone everything is run compared to the private sector.

It's the assumption that things are still running and therefore there must be *further efficiencies* somewhere because it hasn't all collapsed yet. Especially in healthcare. Yeah sure payroll barely functions, elevators break all of the time, door handles just fall off of stairwell doors, and we had like five fires one week but hey, sure I guess the ICU hasn't literally exploded so I'm sure we can get by with even less funding.

It's the same people who bitch about how long it takes to implement anything in the public sector then scream bloody murder about "mah tax dollars" if things aren't done with a perfect paper trail and airtight process.

I don't know, a lot of Ontario hospitals are going through some rough budget issues right now no thanks to the province while also getting hit with pressure to look like they're reducing "hallway medicine" and it's just incredibly frustrating.

The thing is that making it all collapse IS the point. They want to sell it all off. They will just keep cutting until the service is so bad that people are willing to swallow the lie that it will be better if handled by the private sector.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It turns out the easiest way to get rid of hallway medicine was to get rid of the hallways, who knew?

We've had the same thing here in Toronto since 2010, with the election of Ford the deader. Despite the public perception that the civil service are all union fatcats growing large on public largess, all the "efficiencies" we've managed in almost a decade have amounted to under staffing every department to the extent that wait times are longer and service is worse, if available at all. We've carved out huge structural deficits and all but removed the ability for these departments to function. On top of seriously hamstringing the government's ability to you know, govern, we haven't actually saved any particular amount of money. But I am assured it's very efficient.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Oh yeah we couldn't possible eliminate eric grenier's salary that's just crazy how would we know who to strategically vote Liberal for?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If the CBC wants to make voting horoscopes, who are we to tell them no?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It turns out the easiest way to get rid of hallway medicine was to get rid of the hallways, who knew?

I mean you joke but some hospitals are reopening old wards that closed due to lack of funding, filling them with beds and calling it "Emergency Overflow".

So now patients aren't literally in the hallway but they didn't magic up more nurses and doctors and there aren't any more beds in actual wards to admit them to so yeah, you do the math.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1169366477750685696

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Maneck posted:

Removing school taxes from property tax bills is half a good policy. Leaving local school boards dependent on taxes based on local land values creates funding instability. Also, old timers complain to no end when they see a line item on their taxes for something they don't personally use at this time.

If the school boards are funded out of general government revenues instead, it allows for a needs based distribution of funding and stops a lot of really selfish complaints before they get started.

Not to say there isn't a devil in those details.

It's lovely policy unless you have some way to make up the 800 million dollars that is raised through school taxes currently. Something other than asking teachers how they can save that money.

One of the PCs "big five" promises is to open 20 new schools over the next 5 years(this includes the 10 schools that are already under construction, but had their openings delayed). Education isn't getting any cheaper.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

defund CBC

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

We're so hosed.

Last time I advocated for dragging these politicians into the streets and executing them I got probated for a month. Instead I will just say that this is really lovely.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Also: https://twitter.com/MatthewGreenNDP/status/1169068597915860992?s=19

The Ontario Green candidate in my riding also drives a big truck :ironicat:

lol gently caress that guy and anyone that drives a pickup

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

lol gently caress that guy and anyone that drives a pickup

Theres a Ford dealership here in Barrie that constantly brags about selling more pickup trucks than any dealership in Alberta. You can probably guess the type of person buying trucks there.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lmao what
https://twitter.com/BriApp/status/1169468192009252869

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Here's something related to discussions we've had in the past over climate change:

The Democratic candidates for president in the US held a CNN town hall on climate change last night, where they talked about how aggressively they would (or would not) tackle the problem that is going to kill all of us. How did the Republicans respond?

quote:

Donald Trump in a thread on Twitter charged that Democrat plans “will raise your energy bill and prices at the pump”. The fossil fuels industry, through the oil trade group the American Petroleum Institute and the American Energy Alliance, said the plans would hurt poor Americans.

“Tonight, while American families worry about making ends meet, the Democrats running for president will be working hard to outbid each other on who can raise electricity and gasoline prices the highest, and the fastest,” the alliance said in an emailed statement.

quote:

Donald Trump, who is dismantling rules aimed at lowering planet-warming gases, attacked the Democratic candidates for proposing unrealistic, costly plans. “The Democrats’ destructive “environmental” proposals will raise your energy bill and prices at the pump,” the president wrote on Twitter. “Don’t the Democrats care about fighting American poverty?”

(quotes from here)

Why do I bring this up? Because multiple times in the past this thread has discussed climate change and the urgent necessity to do things like tax gasoline and other forms of carbon-emitting transportation, which yes, is used by poor people as well as rich people. And certain people in this thread (not naming names because I legitimately don't remember who they were) have attacked the very idea of gas taxes or carbon taxes as improper because they would affect poor people.

Well, that's literally the attack the right and the fossil fuel lobby are now using to fight against action on climate change, that if you want to keep the planet habitable for humanity it means you don't care about the poor, because apparently the poor only care about one thing and that's the price of gasoline.

This is highly relevant for this thread because we should expect that the Conservatives up here are going to use the exact same lines to attack any proposed environmental action by other parties in our upcoming election, and we should be prepared for how to respond to them.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1168982879151566852?s=19

Also, in today's "of course they did" news,

https://twitter.com/ProgressAlberta/status/1168881033271332864?s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I guess we can take it as read that Warren Kinsella is still working with them.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Here's something related to discussions we've had in the past over climate change:

The Democratic candidates for president in the US held a CNN town hall on climate change last night, where they talked about how aggressively they would (or would not) tackle the problem that is going to kill all of us. How did the Republicans respond?

(quotes from here)

Why do I bring this up? Because multiple times in the past this thread has discussed climate change and the urgent necessity to do things like tax gasoline and other forms of carbon-emitting transportation, which yes, is used by poor people as well as rich people. And certain people in this thread (not naming names because I legitimately don't remember who they were) have attacked the very idea of gas taxes or carbon taxes as improper because they would affect poor people.

Well, that's literally the attack the right and the fossil fuel lobby are now using to fight against action on climate change, that if you want to keep the planet habitable for humanity it means you don't care about the poor, because apparently the poor only care about one thing and that's the price of gasoline.

This is highly relevant for this thread because we should expect that the Conservatives up here are going to use the exact same lines to attack any proposed environmental action by other parties in our upcoming election, and we should be prepared for how to respond to them.

Many people have interpreted this roughly as follows. There has been a long term realignment in which white collar professionals who used to vote conservative or Republican in the middle of the 20th century are now the prime constituency for the centre-"left" parties such as the Democrats, the Liberals or the NDP, while a lot of traditional blue collar and college educated folks now vote for right wing parties. A lot of this was driven by culture war issues but we're starting to see it seeping over into other areas and a kind of nationalist populism that involves ramping up spending on popular items (police, military, education, healthcare) while emphasizing the peril of crime, immigrants and foreign countries. Of course the flipside of this arrangement is that the centre left now holds these constituencies in open contempt and sees the traditional (implicitly white) working class as the major vector for authoritarianism and intolerance, and left-wing parties now base their economic programs around things that are of priority to and will benefit "the middle class and those seeking to join it". Of course most of the actual working class (the people who actually depend on selling their labour power to survive rather than the labour aristocrats who have homes, pensions, etc.) don't vote in sufficient numbers, or with enough class consciousness, to really matter in this equation nationally though they do matter in specific localities.

It's hard to see how this will play out. In the last few decades the major social democratic parties all moved well to the right on economic issues while trying to become much more accommodating to identity politics. On the right we've seen some politicians deemphasizing the worship of free markets and advocating more government interventions in the economy or higher spending on popular initiatives. A lot of this touches on suppressed but long running political tendencies, the so called "middle American radicalism" of guys like Pat Buchanan. It sees a disconnected cosmopolitan elite at the top who, in alliance with foreigners abroad of the underclass at home, seeks to attack the hard working (white) middle class. It's a view that lets you love capitalism and hate big corporations, and that makes it easy to support government spending as long as it only goes to the "right" people.

I don't think this leaves the political system in a good place to deal with these disputes. Issues like climate change are breaking down along these partisan tribal lines which effectively maximizes the power of corporations and politicians.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I guess we can take it as read that Warren Kinsella is still working with them.

Much like their foolish decision to associate themselves with Kinsella, I think that this indicates that the Green Party isn't sufficiently wary about the fact that jaded ex-insiders from other political parties might have their own reasons for publicly jumping ship. When you've spent your entire existence in the political wilderness you might not fully appreciate the extent to which unscrupulous individuals will happily lie to you or misrepresent things so that they can benefit from association with you.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yeah, we'll all bite the bullet and lower our emissions so Trudeau can go and build a third pipeline, no thank you. I'm going to keep my emissions high so he doesn't have room to do that. This guy wants to tax me more while giving BiLlIoNs to oil companies.

It's not really the carbon tax, it's the hypocrisy of the Liberals pushing it that'll make it so easy for our conservatives to rally the poors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Going to vote Natural Law Party this time around I think, it's about time.