Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

I'm down.

taishar malkier

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm down.

taishar malkier

hell yeah hunk lan

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He's 5-10 years younger than I pictured Lan, but that's a solid loving choice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If someone wants to make a WoT thread that's cool, btw

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

He's 5-10 years younger than I pictured Lan, but that's a solid loving choice.

have you considered that he could easily be 50 by the time a show could get to the last battle

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
His face doesn't look like it was hit with a shovel enough times

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

eke out posted:

have you considered that he could easily be 50 by the time a show could get to the last battle

Great point and I think he's supposed to benefit from the Bond anyway.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm down.

taishar malkier

The golden crane flies to battle!

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
This guy knows the proper way to walk across a courtyard.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I made a Wheel of Time thread because nobody else was doing it

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Great point and I think he's supposed to benefit from the Bond anyway.

Yeah, was going to say...

Also: This is a really good casting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Thing I just realized I very much want to see in Rhythm of War: Rock interacting with Wyndle. Poor Wyndle got no respect from Lift, how will he react when somebody worships him as a god?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 7, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It will be interesting to see him interact with a character that isn’t worthless, I agree.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm listening to storm light archive for the first time although I have read through it. I don't know if it's an audio vs visual thing, but I enjoy both the books and Shallan so much more. I'm starting to think I skim/miss a lot of books when I read them, because the same thing happened to me with the Wheel of Time.

Ps Lift is the best character

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

RC Cola posted:

I'm listening to storm light archive for the first time although I have read through it. I don't know if it's an audio vs visual thing, but I enjoy both the books and Shallan so much more. I'm starting to think I skim/miss a lot of books when I read them, because the same thing happened to me with the Wheel of Time.

Ps Lift is the best character

Lift is an incredibly polarizing character. Opinions on her are always very strong toward love or loathing.

Shallan is a better character on rereads because while her WoK adventures are still really slow paced, there's so much stuff that gains meaning with the knowledge from future books.

Also if you haven't read Edgedancer, it's Lift's PoV novella and is a lot of fun. It also explains why Nale is so different between WoR and Oathbringer.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i like the character of lift but the writing style shift when she's the viewpoint is grating to me

it might have to do with me experiencing her first through an audiobook and the narrator took on a kind of... breathless tone with her and i got real tired of hearing the word "awesome" being drawn out real quick

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I started re-reading Way of Kings now that I finally finished Wheel of Time and man I'm way over-analyzing every little thing. When Dalinar & Co are out on the hunt, he comments how "it's no wonder the Parshendi consider(ed?) chasmfiends gods" and now it mentions how there are some sort of spren that are only seen "around the freshly killed bodies of greatshells". These little things could be - probably are - nothing, but they both really caught my attention for some reason.

I need the rest of the series to come out now so I can just read everything :negative:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

there are some sort of spren that are only seen "around the freshly killed bodies of greatshells"

pretty sure this was just breadcrumbs to flag the idea that there's a symbiotic spren bond that the greatshells depend on in order to get so huge, as their size shouldn't really be possible without being so heavy and slow that they die

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea it's probably nothing, largely fueled by how little of Oathbringer I remember. Like they killed him because he wanted to bring back their gods, right? So then I guess the chasmfiends cant be their gods, but... it's gotta all be connected :shrug:

Also where do spheres come from, if not gemhearts?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I just want to know more about Roshar's glass industry. For spheres to be basic currency that's a huge amount of production.

Guess it's probably all soul-forged? Roll it into a ball of clay then do some magic.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I think most beings on Roshar have a gemheart

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looked it up :downs:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Polestone

quote:

While polestones are produced via mining, a significant source of them on Roshar is the harvesting of the gemhearts that grow inside greatshells

So it sounds like prior to the Vengeance Pact, spheres were largely made by mining gems and stuffing them into glass spheres, but now it's killing greatshells and stuffing their gemhearts into glass spheres?

Curious how prevalent they were from mining, versus the insane infusion of money once they found out about the gemhearts. Like drat, there's gotta be some ludicrous inflation? :v:

e; prevent -> prevalent

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 20, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Looked it up :downs:

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Polestone

So it sounds like prior to the Vengeance Pact, spheres were largely made by mining gems and stuffing them into glass spheres, but now it's killing greatshells and stuffing their gemhearts into glass spheres?

Curious how prevent they were from mining, versus the insane infusion of money once they found out about the gemhearts. Like drat, there's gotta be some ludicrous inflation? :v:

Chulls are greatshells, too! Instead of a dairy industry they get gems from their "cattle". Also the gemhearts from greatshells aren't broken into small currency, they're cut and used for soul casting because larger gems can soulcast larger amounts and are less likely to break.

It's not an infusion of currency into the economy but raw materials.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, I thought chulls were purely beasts of burden.

And I did just read the part where they said bigger gems = 'stronger' fabrials, but I was under the impression they were also turned into cash money.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Unlike real money, gems have a physical economic value. Gems hold storm light, storm light can be used in the modern era to soul cast food and keep people alive. Back before the recreance you could also not only do soul cast construction, but all sorts of miraculous healing and such. You pay someone with the right Nahel bond in infused spheres, they heal you with Progression, and keep some of the dun spheres as payment to recharge next storm.

I can't remember if its just big animals that have gem hearts, or if ones the size of diamond chips grow in the small ones too. Greatshells just have the obscenely large hearts that can feed an army.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

I can't remember if its just big animals that have gem hearts, or if ones the size of diamond chips grow in the small ones too. Greatshells just have the obscenely large hearts that can feed an army.

Nearly all native life on Roshar has gemhearts, but in small animals they're small enough to be basically worthless. But they raise several types of livestock primarily for their gemhearts, not just because of the size but also because of the type - emerald is the most highly valued because it's what can soulcast food, which is what enables the Alethi to wage war on the scale they do. The gemhearts of chasmfiends aren't just special for their massive size, but also because they're emeralds.

Sab669 posted:

Yea it's probably nothing, largely fueled by how little of Oathbringer I remember. Like they killed him because he wanted to bring back their gods, right? So then I guess the chasmfiends cant be their gods, but... it's gotta all be connected :shrug:

Don't read too much into it - Sanderson is exceptional at linking things together, but he's also exceptional at world building and writing people. And writing people includes giving them believable misconceptions. Like, of course the Alethi being who they are would assume that the Parshendi were savages who worshiped giant creatures. They are wrong, but giving them those assumptions informs us of what kind of people they really are.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 20, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Taffer posted:

Don't read too much into it - Sanderson is exceptional at linking things together, but he's also exceptional at world building and writing people. And writing people includes giving them believable misconceptions. Like, of course the Alethi being who they are would assume that the Parshendi were savages who worshiped giant creatures. They are wrong, but giving them those assumptions informs us of what kind of people they really are.

also the parshendi appear to have had some very serious misconceptions about what kind of outcome their actions were going to bring about, as evidenced by pretty much the entire venli arc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taffer posted:

The irony is of course that the Parshendi were explicitly not worshiping their gods. The Listeners were after all the rebels that successfully escaped Odium's control. Though they forgot many of the facts surrounding their rebellion, their oral history has plenty of warnings about their gods:

quote:

Decayform destroys the souls of dreams.
A form of gods, to avoid it seems.
Seek not its touch, nor beckon its screams, deny it.

{...]

Smokeform for hiding and slipping 'tween men.
A form of power—like Surges of spren
Do we dare to wear this form again? It spies.
Crafted of gods, this form we fear.
By Unmade touch its curse to bear,
Formed from shadow—and death is near. It lies.

[...]

Our gods were born splinters of a soul,
Of one who seeks to take control,
Destroys all lands that he beholds, with spite.
They are his spren, his gift, his price.

[...]

Stormform is said to cause
A tempest of winds and showers,
Beware its powers, beware its powers.
Though its coming brings the gods their night,
It obliges a bloodred spren.
Beware its end, beware its end.

Venli very much tricked the rest of the Parshendi into being bound by their gods again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

also the parshendi appear to have had some very serious misconceptions about what kind of outcome their actions were going to bring about, as evidenced by pretty much the entire venli arc.

the alethi had already killed over four fifths of the parshendi population at that point, the survivors probably didn't care that much

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It was also a war of extermination due to Sadeas executing any parshendi who surrendered to him, which in turn caused the parshendi to start doing the same when they'd have otherwise taken Alethi captives or possibly tried to sue for peace. Though the Alethi still likely would've enslaved all the Parshendi at best.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elhokar makes all the princes swear to wipe out the parshendi at the beginning of the war, it was never not a war of extermination.

the Alethi are pretty unambiguously the bad guys, which is an interesting dynamic

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That’s a big part of why no one believes Dalinar is trying to do the right thing.

He’s not just one of the bad guys, he was the baddest of the bad guys.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

That’s a big part of why no one believes Dalinar is trying to do the right thing.

He’s not just one of the bad guys, he was the baddest of the bad guys.

He was slightly less bad than sadeas

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Sadeas was usually there convincing him to be worse, but as far as the history were aware of, Sadeas did not go out and commit war crimes in the way the Dalinar did. He was really bad.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Basically only recently, when he went crazy

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I am definitely not defending Dalinar, but Sadeas was definitely equally as bad or worse of a person. He just didn't personally Burn his wife to dead

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Chulls are greatshells, too! Instead of a dairy industry they get gems from their "cattle". Also the gemhearts from greatshells aren't broken into small currency, they're cut and used for soul casting because larger gems can soulcast larger amounts and are less likely to break.

It's not an infusion of currency into the economy but raw materials.

Actually both can be true—Jasnah mentions that broken soul caster gemstones can be cut into multiple smaller gemstones later, so presumably broken soulcasting emeralds will get cut into a lot of smaller gems for fabrials or spheres

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Sadeas really was a dick. I was not at all sad that he died like a moron getting stabbed in the eye by a regular-rear end knife

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Actually both can be true—Jasnah mentions that broken soul caster gemstones can be cut into multiple smaller gemstones later, so presumably broken soulcasting emeralds will get cut into a lot of smaller gems for fabrials or spheres

Nice catch. I imagine they keep recutting the gems until they're too small and just turn to dust.

It's absolutely the coolest money and magic based economy I've ever heard of and I have absolutely ripped it off for a D&D setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dog Kisser posted:

Sadeas really was a dick. I was not at all sad that he died like a moron getting stabbed in the eye by a regular-rear end knife

I am, because the swap in roles between him and Amaram in book 3 is really grating, and the original draft would have worked better.