Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What is that actors think they're getting out of working with Woody Allen? Nobody watches Woody Allen movies. He hasn't made a good movie in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

What is that actors think they're getting out of working with Woody Allen? Nobody watches Woody Allen movies. He hasn't made a good movie in decades.

Annie Hall is a loving classic that made Diane Keaton a household name.

That's not a defense, but it is an explanation.

Also ScarJo was in Matchpoint, which is probably Woody Allen's last good movie (I haven't seen Moonlight Sonata).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also ScarJo is just kind of a generally lovely person by all appearances who very clearly values her own wallet and ego over any kind of ethical principle, so there's that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollywood is still in a place where the only real consequences of meaning in a post-#MeToo world have happened to Harvey Weinstein and Jeffrey Epstein, and actresses over the age of 40 not named Meryl Streep, Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman or Reese Witherspoon basically have to resort to getting naked on film in order to get work, so I can kind of understand Johansson not wanting to speak out publicly against a guy who could potentially cast her in future films.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I imagine ScarJo is defending him because she believes him, because it sure as poo poo ain't got to do with money. Allen hasn't turned a profit in a decade.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Timby posted:

Hollywood is still in a place where the only real consequences of meaning in a post-#MeToo world have happened to Harvey Weinstein and Jeffrey Epstein, and actresses over the age of 40 not named Meryl Streep, Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman or Reese Witherspoon basically have to resort to getting naked on film in order to get work, so I can kind of understand Johansson not wanting to speak out publicly against a guy who could potentially cast her in future films.

so a pedophile has to be actively defended because scarjo needs more millions of dollars

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

If she's only in it for the money I don't think Woody Allen pays Marvel money, and she can almost certainly live like a queen off her residuals at this point.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Having public opinions of Allen while traveling in Hollywood inner circles is probably more complicated than we would wish it to be

I mean, yes, we would hope she has integrity especially considering her career would or should carry some amount of clout but here we are

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Skwirl posted:

Annie Hall is a loving classic that made Diane Keaton a household name.

That's not a defense, but it is an explanation.

Also ScarJo was in Matchpoint, which is probably Woody Allen's last good movie (I haven't seen Moonlight Sonata).

Annie Hall was a billion years ago

Corporate eventually dumped R. Kelly in part because he stopped making money years ago. Woody Allen hasn't had a good movie in years, I'm not sure why Hollywood still holds him in good reputation

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Corporate eventually dumped R. Kelly in part because he stopped making money years ago. Woody Allen hasn't had a good movie in years, I'm not sure why Hollywood still holds him in good reputation

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Allen strikes me as the exact kind of weedy little poo poo who knows a lot of people's dirty secrets and uses that to keep himself relevant, tbh

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Allen strikes me as the exact kind of weedy little poo poo who knows a lot of people's dirty secrets and uses that to keep himself relevant, tbh

Allen is Old Hollywood, he's got dirt on probably everyone over the age of 50.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, wasn't he suuuuuuuuper open about palling around with Epstein even after the original charges on that dude? Kinda smacks of "I know where bodies are buried".

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Blue Jasmine was great

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Midnight in Paris was this decade and that made alot of money.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
ScarJo is probably hoping Woody casts her as Soon-Yi for the inevitable biopic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

ScarJo is probably hoping Woody casts her as Soon-Yi for the inevitable biopic.

She's too old.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been reading through the #MeToo thread in Games, and I gotta say, the quality of this thread is leaps and bounds better than that one. Good job, y'all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why would you do that to yourself

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been reading through the #MeToo thread in Games, and I gotta say, the quality of this thread is leaps and bounds better than that one. Good job, y'all.

yeah, the proximity to GamerGate means that more GG assholes are gonna go in and take their shots. Luckily the mods in games have been fairly quick about giving those guys probations. They've probably had more people get punished for defending abusers in like, a week than this thread has had since it started like 6 months ago

edit: oh my god this thread has been around almost two years

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

yeah, the proximity to GamerGate means that more GG assholes are gonna go in and take their shots. Luckily the mods in games have been fairly quick about giving those guys probations. They've probably had more people get punished for defending abusers in like, a week than this thread has had since it started like 6 months ago

This forum in general has always been pretty strict about that, at least as long as I've been browsing. It's completely not welcome to even ironic "I would totally gently caress (x)" jokes which helps a *lot* since on other forums about movies that seems to be the primary starting place for weirdos to start talking about the SJWing of Marvel or whatever.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Origami Dali posted:

I imagine ScarJo is defending him because she believes him, because it sure as poo poo ain't got to do with money. Allen hasn't turned a profit in a decade.

midnight in paris and blue jasmine made big piles of money, and magic in the moonlight, to rome with love and cafe society were profitable. woody's a scumbag but many of his movies recoup.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's not even about the money, he's still seen as a prestigious filmmaker and any actor can use some of that aura to build up their career and put themself on the radar of people who cough up the awards.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lauren Hutton remembers 'bizarre' Weinstein encounter: 'There’s Harvey in a dirty white bathrobe'
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...-181624431.html

Woody Allen Defends His Record: "I've Done Everything That the #MeToo Movement Would Love to Achieve"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/woody-allen-done-everything-metoo-movement-would-love-achieve-1237353

Joel Schumacher estimates he’s had up to 20,000 sexual partners
https://pagesix.com/2019/08/28/joel-schumacher-estimates-hes-had-up-to-20000-sexual-partners/

John Doe begs judge not to name names in Epstein gal pal case
https://nypost.com/2019/09/03/john-doe-begs-judge-not-to-name-names-in-epstein-gal-pal-case/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Joel missed the opportunity to say 23,023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

It's pretty extreme too. The guy who killed himself was outed even by his sister as a horrible person. Stories came out that multiple women game devs has been told by multiple sources not to be alone in a room with him. His male coworkers went on record that he was extremely manipulative and abusive in a lot of different ways.

But of course since it was the GG ground zero person, Zoe Quinn, the festering hate boner the GG crowd has exploded all over the internet ready to claim all these accusations are killing people so the outspoken victims should get slienced.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hi. I’m Pirate Jet, and in September 2019, I’m still making posts in the wrong opened tab.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Hey don't slut shame

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

20,000 partners is one every single day for almost 55 years, i dont think id have the stamina tbh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

He's just trying to steal Wilt Chamberlain's record

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

He's just trying to steal Wilt Chamberlain's record

That's the one record he has that truly is unbreakable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GoutPatrol posted:

That's the one record he has that truly is unbreakable.

Shame Joel can’t keep a box office one

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also 20,000 partners means he probably hosed 19,650 super loving ugly people or he’s the kind of rear end in a top hat that goes to an orgy, sticks his toe in the deep end, and counts all 15 people in the pile as having boned him.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What's with all the hate for Joel Schumacher having done a lot of loving, is this a homophobia thing or what? Why was that article posted in the sexual assault thread?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm not hating, I'm just laughing at the ludicrous claim

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

I'm not hating, I'm just laughing at the ludicrous claim

It's honestly not that ludicrous, dude is just being candid about his habits and the availability of casual sex during a certain era.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

"A rich and famous gay film producer who loves cocaine living in Hollywood in the 70s 80s would have had to have been going to multiple orgies a week to tally up that many sexual partners!"

:thunk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hey more power to him if it's true, I just have a hard time with the logistics, and l mean if he kept showing up to orgies, perhaps others did too and the number is actually the 10 same guys showing up to an orgy 2000 times :thunk:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's kind of weird because like, to claim 20,000 you have to have done some specific math in your head. 10,000 from Chamberlain isn't crazy to hear because he's basically saying "it might be 5 digits, it's that many!" To take it to 20,000 instead of just 10,000 implies a level of accounting that's just absurd once you're reaching those numbers.

But yes, it's not appropriate for this thread at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My Joel Shumacher story is that someone yelled 'you ruined Batman' at him, and he just sighed sadly and said 'i know'