Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Cheen posted:

The roping in this event is tilting me to no end.

Food gonna be Adanto but everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I guess in commander the fun part is the politics and the crazy turns even if they gently caress you over, and that doesnt really translate so well to online brawl

and if you care too much about winning I can see how brawl might not be fun for some people

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Relin posted:

i've played it 5 times, it doesn't DO anything. no board presence, bunch of low pow/tuff minions. it just gets run over every single time... sure do have a bunch of lands though! hurray!

The key is to rebuy your etb effects with the commander's bounce effect. Stalling with forbidding spirit or blowing up all their poo poo with meteor golem until you can draw End-Raze Forerunners or Parhelion II/build up enough fliers with faerie formation is the whole game plan.

Also you will draw your finishers faster than you think since all of your creatures come with a free growth spiral.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

AnEdgelord posted:

The key is to rebuy your etb effects with the commander's bounce effect. Stalling with forbidding spirit or blowing up all their poo poo with meteor golem until you can draw End-Raze Forerunners or Parhelion II/build up enough fliers with faerie formation is the whole game plan.

Also you will draw your finishers faster than you think since all of your creatures come with a free growth spiral.
it's too slow. grats on your perfect draws and terrible draws for your opponent tho

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Relin posted:

it's too slow. grats on your perfect draws and terrible draws for your opponent tho

All the decks are slow, the bant deck isn't special in that regard

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spiderdrake posted:

Brawl and SNES on switch, today is a good day for cheap gaming.

I saw like 700 unread posts in the Nintendo thread that I was current on this morning.

Thanks for saving me the time.

Also I now understand why they usually lock that thread during directs.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

i've played it 5 times, it doesn't DO anything. no board presence, bunch of low pow/tuff minions. it just gets run over every single time... sure do have a bunch of lands though! hurray!

It has ETBs. You gotta use your Commander's ability to pull the good ETB critters back.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I was really enjoying this event, even when Brawl just gets straight up added as normal, I think premade brawl deck events should continue to appear every once in a while, presumably with whatever turns out to be not so popular choices for Commanders to add more variety. I uh, sort of fear Teferi Time Raveler is gonna be monstrously dominant as a commander choice.

Knights and Faerie seemed the obvious powerhouses, Hungry Hungry Dragons was amusing and has some combos and chains it can pull off, Mr. Druid Commander did not seem to get that much done, but I saw the insane card draws that can happen, also made me realize Biomancers Familiar combos really well with Spectral sailor

Only dissapointed Frogify does not alter the affected cards appearance to that of a frog, I guess enjoying Frogifys frog art will have to sate my desire to see more frog.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If you find yourself tilting please bear in mind these are stupidly unbalanced decks. The card quality is all over the place, sometimes you just draw the 9 bad cards in your deck or several tapped lands in a row making GBS threads up your tempo. I've had the knight deck do nothing for six games to like turn 10 and then kill someone on turn 6 the next game.

Singleton is usually more consistent simply because the card quality isn't all over the map.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I saw like 700 unread posts in the Nintendo thread that I was current on this morning.

Thanks for saving me the time.

Also I now understand why they usually lock that thread during directs.
There is also reportedly a release of Doom 64 but I glossed over everything else.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spiderdrake posted:

If you find yourself tilting please bear in mind these are stupidly unbalanced decks. The card quality is all over the place, sometimes you just draw the 9 bad cards in your deck or several tapped lands in a row making GBS threads up your tempo. I've had the knight deck do nothing for six games to like turn 10 and then kill someone on turn 6 the next game.

Singleton is usually more consistent simply because the card quality isn't all over the map.
There is also reportedly a release of Doom 64 but I glossed over everything else.

Yeah I enjoy Singleton but so far Brawl has been like 1-10 where the one win was due to a guy conceding immediately. I want to have some more game modes to enjoy so I'll try again later when the game isn't giving my opponents all their good cards. The ranked queue in platinum seems softer tonight, though, so it's not all bad.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My opponent tried to Bake my Korvold into a Pie, so in response I shoved him into my Witch's Oven, which also drew me a card off of him.

Eldraine is officially good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy poo poo what is all this new stuff going on in Arena

I missed one day and suddenly it's like I'm in a foreign country

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Am I the only one that think brawl loving sucks? I'm probably just bad at it but no matter what deck I play I just get loving wrecked.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

Am I the only one that think brawl loving sucks? I'm probably just bad at it but no matter what deck I play I just get loving wrecked.

Its not so much brawl itself as the precons. If you've never played games with preconstructed decks from wotc before they almost universally have a bunch of suboptimal cards in them with a few good cards, which leads to really swingy games where it becomes about who top decked their actual good cards. Brawl isn't quite so bad since you always get access to your commander but its still that same familiar swingy precon environment.

I look forward to taking some of these commanders and constructing real decks around them though and am very glad we will have two more formats to play besides standard and limited. Here's hoping they work on implementing 4 player games so I can play multiplayer brawl with my friends that are spread out across the country.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I can't imagine the UI they'd have to do for a 4 player game.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
The decks are trash and the manabase is trash. Why the gently caress is there a shivan dragon in the knights deck. Knights and dragons are sworn enemies, on top of being a garbage card. Also it just feels great when the opponent manages to draw the single board clear in the entire deck while you draw garbage.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Chalune is the first plausible use of biomancer's familiar I've seen in standard, besides growth chamber guardian. The deck churns through cards when you get the two of them out together.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Priest of Forgotten Gods is insane in the jund deck, as is that knight that does damage when creatures die, and Plaguecrafter. Also sacrificing 2 foods to draw 3 cards and give your commander 2 +1/+1 counters. and Find/Finality is disgusting in there, either to recur value creatures you had to sacrifice, or buff your legendary black knight so it survives the wipe and kills your opponent. That's also the 1 deck where its correct to let your commander go to the graveyard so you can Findbroker it back after the 3rd time it dies.

Play the Jund deck if you want to win. Once we can make our own brawl decks I'm making that one, but better.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I lost the first couple of Brawls but then I did some ridiculous stuff with mask of immolation and orzhov enforcer and completely popped off

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

These are honestly kinda meh precons in general. I've played lots of games with the commander precons and while there are blow outs they tended to be more pleasant and less lopsided.

It's just a swingy eehhhh format.

Magic Underwear posted:

Why the gently caress is there a shivan dragon in the knights deck.
Yeah I didn't look at the decklists and glared angrily at the screen when it popped up.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It is funny. It is in the deck because it is funny.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

A Moose posted:

Priest of Forgotten Gods is insane in the jund deck, as is that knight that does damage when creatures die, and Plaguecrafter. Also sacrificing 2 foods to draw 3 cards and give your commander 2 +1/+1 counters. and Find/Finality is disgusting in there, either to recur value creatures you had to sacrifice, or buff your legendary black knight so it survives the wipe and kills your opponent. That's also the 1 deck where its correct to let your commander go to the graveyard so you can Findbroker it back after the 3rd time it dies.

Play the Jund deck if you want to win. Once we can make our own brawl decks I'm making that one, but better.

Yeah my last win I destroyed the Fairy deck with Mayhem Devil + Priest. Devil triggers from the sac cost took out all the fairy tokens and they had to sac the commander to the priest. Then I swung with everything and knocked them down to 2 life. The wrathed next turn but I had that Knight so they just died.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Knights deck is most consistent because it is boringly reasonable and has an actual mana curve. Faerie deck is easiest to have go off but can be lackluster. Sacrifice deck is loving absurd and powerful but total jank. The other deck has actual counterspells in it. They are all decent and bad because of course and winning is a factor of mana screw.

I got 6 wins and kept playing.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I've been able to win with all of the brawl decks. My advice would be to mull more aggressively. No, even more aggressive than that. If your hand doesn't have good mana, some early action, and at least one reasonably strong card, you should throw it back. You should be taking the free mulligan a lot of the time.

Beyond that, try to be sparing with removal. The decks are inconsistent, so you can't really depend on getting more threats or answers. Save your removal for threats you REALLY can't answer otherwise, and will kill you if you let them sit for a couple of turns.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I won a game as Sac Dragon vs Fairy Spam after my dragon caught a Lawmage's Binding by topdecking a Mask of Immolation and burning off my opponent's last 3 health.

Brawl is fun but I'm bad at it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snapped off six wins in a row, is Brawl my new Omni Draft

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Jund deck is cool until all your token makers are in the bottom and you have to make really bad choices on what you can sacrifice to get anything going. Sacrificing a flying 5/5 just to get your leader out, whew.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I want to put Oracle of Midnight in a deck because it is basically a Flying Chocobo Rider from FF14

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I had the best win rate with the Jund deck, since I think basically every card synergizes with the Commander. Fairy deck was also pretty good since it has a lot of removal but basically relies on your Commander (plus a swarm of fairies) to win, so if it dies you're kinda boned. It feels like a midrange Esper hero deck, but with a LOT of poo poo cards instead of good cards like Thief of Sanity.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fairy deck has a really cheap Commander so it's easy to be super annoying and bring it back every turn. Seriously, I think I played it like five times in one game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Got my 6 wins in Brawl. Found that the fairy/artifact deck was the best. Making a ton of fliers is really hard for the other decks to deal with. I had fun with the other 3 decks but they just get run over by the fairies.

I'm very excited to brew up my own brawl deck but I'm sad it won't be in historic so I can't use anything that's rotating.

The only thing that bums me out is there being an incentive to win brawl matches. I had some of my most fun with commander when I ultimately lose but needing wins for gold/xp/event goodies reduces the fun.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

lol the adventure cards are the busiest, ugliest cards ever

Brawl is good. Can't wait to brew up a bunch of janky decks.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Chadzok posted:

lol the adventure cards are the busiest, ugliest cards ever

Brawl is good. Can't wait to brew up a bunch of janky decks.

Yea it's a pretty bad visual design

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the jund deck is so, so insanely bad. you can never attack with krenko against any of these decks

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Fairy deck has a really cheap Commander so it's easy to be super annoying and bring it back every turn. Seriously, I think I played it like five times in one game.

Fairy deck is my favorite to play against because without fail my opponents play their commander right into removal and then rage quit immediately.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The bant brawl deck is extremely my poo poo. Playing lands, ramping, drawing cards, and then just getting value off etb stuff. Playing and bouncing meteor golem or frilled mystic every turn is sweet, keeping people off their commander is back breaking. The other decks are really slow too, and you can recover with time wipe after ramping.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Is anyone having payment issues?

I couldn't preorder the next set of cards from some reason, not through paypal or directly with my credit card. Ordering gems worked without issues.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

Fairy deck is my favorite to play against because without fail my opponents play their commander right into removal and then rage quit immediately.

even better if you turn it into frog and just fly over

Esper fairy precon seems the best in the event - best ramp due to multiple mana rocks, best answers (lol esper) and most synergistic.
Knights can win pretty fast with a proper opening hand and the hasty slipper
Jund depends on drawing mayhem devil fast

But I am still most excited to build Parun Niv-Mizzy and 5C one when Brawl opens up for real.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

kanonvandekempen posted:

Is anyone having payment issues?

I couldn't preorder the next set of cards from some reason, not through paypal or directly with my credit card. Ordering gems worked without issues.

Uh you cannot buy cards directly for money on MTGArena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh you cannot buy cards directly for money on MTGArena

The only way you can buy preorders is with real money.

Mine went through fine yesterday, via paypal.