Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kirika
Dess
View Results

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
too bad noble red didn't have a bad dad or they might've made it out of this episode mostly intact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bad dad being back kinda of dragged this episode down. Would of been happy if he didn't come back

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chumbler posted:

Honestly though I really do hope this isn't the last we see of Noble Red, especially given there are 4 episodes left. It would be pretty cheap of them to build up some degree of attachment to the characters and then just say nope they were irrelevant pawns the entire time and end as such. I'm still a little annoyed at how the alchemist trio last season kinda went out without much fanfare. But again, 4 episodes left so this probably isn't too realistic a fear.
A part of me is leaning towards it being weirdly sort of appropriate that nah, they were not worth having more of an arc because they had such a high innocents body count and it was just impossible to move on from that, but I bet there will be ~something~ with so many episodes left and only Shem Ha really left at this point. That scene is the loudest I've laughed out loud in Symphogear yet though lol.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

A part of me is leaning towards it being weirdly sort of appropriate that nah, they were not worth having more of an arc because they had such a high innocents body count and it was just impossible to move on from that, but I bet there will be ~something~ with so many episodes left and only Shem Ha really left at this point. That scene is the loudest I've laughed out loud in Symphogear yet though lol.

you put them in the same magic jail that they want to put fudo in

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nate RFB posted:

Given that Vanessa is mostly robot, I could see her surviving her bisection and SONG rescuing her to try to pump her for more information about Shem-ha and Fudo's plan. The others look pretty definitively Extremely Dead, though, barring Divine Power shenanigans.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well no she kind of did. They kind of all did.

I'm just not ok with disintegration

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Squiddycat posted:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So how's Fudou doing in the Gendo Ikari Memorial Parent of the Year Awards? A real contender, or just another also-ran?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Sandman posted:

So how's Fudou doing in the Gendo Ikari Memorial Parent of the Year Awards? A real contender, or just another also-ran?

I think it's pretty close at this point, honestly. Fudo might actually be edging ahead by sole virtue of having more children to abuse.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I suppose it is appropriate that with Carol's return last episode GX's big theme of Dads also seems to be back in full force.

I'm very interested in seeing we're they're going with all this talk about the power of songs. It was a really strong part of Tsubasa's arc in season 1 and I hope it not done now that Tsubasa is free from her mind-control and defeated her terrible granddad.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Fudo is a somehow even more evil version of Funny Valentine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Squiddycat posted:

Well she was not disintegrated. She was impaled and then sliced in half along with Millaarc.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 1, 2019

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gibbing is not technically disintegration.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Justin_Brett posted:

Gibbing is not technically disintegration.

I think that depends on the size of the gibs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I suppose it is appropriate that with Carol's return last episode GX's big theme of Dads also seems to be back in full force.
This season just seems to be every previous season on fastforward. Start with fine/moon stuff and a hosed up concert, lead into mind-controlled Miku and dealing with an enemy faction you want to reach out to, then Carol and Bad Dads.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

What an absolutely incredible episode.

-of COURSE bad dad has that lovely WW2 gun on him at all times
-Maria saving her girlfriend was perfect
-I don’t know what Amalgam technically is, but it looks so so so loving good on tsubasa
-other bad dad accidentally making a good point about curses and blessings was nice
-holy poo poo miku what did you do to them :gonk:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

This season just seems to be every previous season on fastforward. Start with fine/moon stuff and a hosed up concert, lead into mind-controlled Miku and dealing with an enemy faction you want to reach out to, then Carol and Bad Dads.

Tbf dealing with an enemy faction you want to reach out to is a pretty consistent theme across all seasons. But yeah, I can see this.

I'm even expecting Fine to make an appearance now that we're dealing with the moon again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The more I think about the more I think it's, on the whole, not shaping up to be that amazing of a conflict even as the individual episodes are often good. I feel like they boxed themselves into a corner with both needing Fudou to be a major antagonist after all of the build up over the previous seasons but also needed a miniboss squad for the gears to fight, and the two have not meshed into a cohesive whole. A strong endgame can perhaps collect these threads into something better but if this really was the "gist" of the Fudou confrontation it feels a little half-baked and almost downright silly for what had a lot of potential for gravitas for especially Tsubasa. Obviously, yes, they used her adoptive father's death as a point of drama, and yes she expressed seeming astonishment at her brainwashing, but I just don't think in general they landed either of those points (especially the latter) nearly as strongly as they could have given what it has been leading to for three seasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SYMPHOGEAR/status/1168471624703545344

Neat behind the scenes detail, the in-episdoe songs are recorded with screens showing the storyboards/whatever animation is finished for the episode, so they can sync up the little pauses in the songs and rising/falling notes and such up with the action. It's apparently fairly improv.

Nate RFB posted:

The more I think about the more I think it's, on the whole, not shaping up to be that amazing of a conflict even as the individual episodes are often good. I feel like they boxed themselves into a corner with both needing Fudou to be a major antagonist after all of the build up over the previous seasons but also needed a miniboss squad for the gears to fight, and the two have not meshed into a cohesive whole. A strong endgame can perhaps collect these threads into something better but if this really was the "gist" of the Fudou confrontation it feels a little half-baked and almost downright silly for what had a lot of potential for gravitas for especially Tsubasa. Obviously, yes, they used her adoptive father's death as a point of drama, and yes she expressed seeming astonishment at her brainwashing, but I just don't think in general they landed either of those points (especially the latter) nearly as strongly as they could have given what it has been leading to for three seasons.
I mean the ending of AXZ built up to an obvious conflict that this season has barely referenced. This being the last season, they probably decided to emphasize 'sending everyone home happy' over it being like, an incredibly strong *narrative* climax, which I get. Both choices have their ups and downs, and I get why they'd just wanna make a fun action show with the best animation the show's ever had as the ending, rather than a plot-heavy thing with a ton of stakes. Like ostensibly there's huge stakes here but they mostly just feel like a procession of video game bosses, especially with the callbacks to previous seasons.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
https://twitter.com/angeban93/status/1168675321484177408

I'm distressed by how in-character this is

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

it's time for me to reveal the idea i've had for a while now: the symphogears playing hockey

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lessail posted:

it's time for me to reveal the idea i've had for a while now: the symphogears playing hockey

I mean, Hibiki does punch people...

(you're not the only one :v:)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Symphogear vs Nanoha vs Precure in a world cup of hockey k please thanks

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

i have not studied the handedness of the characters but i'm thinking something like

chris - hibiki - tsubasa
shirabe - kirika
maria

thoughts?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I don't really know anything about hockey, but I'd say:

Shirabe - Maria - Tsubasa
Kirika - Hibiki
Chris

Shirabe and Tsubasa are both fast, Shirabe is a skilled skater but also very lightweight, Maria is the largest and heaviest of the team and probably a competent enough skater.
Kirika and Hibiki are two blonde idiots who don't mind throwing themselves at the opponent but I wouldn't trust them to be very accurate when shooting.
Chris is the least athletic of the group so she gets the fat kid position. Though to be fair to her she did manage to barely keep up with the others in the G training montage.

But again, I don't really know much anything about hockey.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Kirika wrote My Immortal.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Boksi posted:

Chris is the least athletic of the group so she gets the fat kid position. Though to be fair to her she did manage to barely keep up with the others in the G training montage.

But again, I don't really know much anything about hockey.

hmmm, chris' whole thing is being the shooty sniper so i think she should be shooting the puck no matter what

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hibiki, you've got to stop blushing when fighting Vanessa. What if Miku sees?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

wow they finally did the thing!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

it sure would have been nice to see the moment where tsubasa decides not to go to the funeral in handcuffs as it 'happened.' maybe linger on that a bit if the rocket was going to get destroyed that quickly.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
After several seasons of the villains using a fast travel potion to escape every time, I was quite amused by Tsubasa just straight up intercepting and stealing one. So much for Noble Red's upgraded complete monster form, still basically getting poo poo on by the gears at the end of the day.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Looool at Trump-san

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Well I think at the end of this episode that the only member of Noble Red that's going to get a chance to turn is Elza. She got a befriend-ing speech from Shirabe and Kiraka, and also before the fight said that she would follow what Vanessa feels is right not knowing that Vanessa herself is too far gone (her line to Hibiki that everyone must become monsters to belong is a good sign that Vanessa is like Millarc in that she can't be saved)

Also Kiraka and Shiraba are totally great Soul Calibur edits here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fluffy tail girls are pure

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Well I think at the end of this episode that the only member of Noble Red that's going to get a chance to turn is Elza. She got a befriend-ing speech from Shirabe and Kiraka, and also before the fight said that she would follow what Vanessa feels is right not knowing that Vanessa herself is too far gone (her line to Hibiki that everyone must become monsters to belong is a good sign that Vanessa is like Millarc in that she can't be saved)

Yeah Elza is the only one who seems distraught at her situation instead of either totally drinking the koolaid like Vanessa or being totally jazzed about having superpowers with no drawbacks like Millarc.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Should have posted this last week week buuuuuut
https://twitter.com/Dustinkcouch/status/1057094474227240960

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

One side of the moon has a Precure fight happening and one side has a Symphogear fight waiting to happen. Don't be on the moon!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SatoshiMiwa posted:

One side of the moon has a Precure fight happening and one side has a Symphogear fight waiting to happen. Don't be on the moon!

At least Darknest can't be as bad as the other space snake bad guy from that block, right?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Looool at Trump-san

Can't be him, the real thing is incapable of even the faintest hint of gratitude.

Also, too coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Incompetent S.O.N.G lets Crazy Noble Red blow up my lovely rocket! Yours truly could sing better than them! SAD!