Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
God drat It it's the ending of Bleach all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Thoren posted:

That's a loving terrible thing to say about anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why didn't zeke just enact his plan as soon as he met and touched eren?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jose posted:

Why didn't zeke just enact his plan as soon as he met and touched eren?

He wants to save Eren first

Thats what he says

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Considering that Eren was apparently controlling everything Zeke just saw, and would presumably be aware of everything Grisha told him, as shown by the flashback of him holding Historia's hand, I think it's safe to say there's a few more major twists to be revealed in the next chapter. Maybe we'll find out he pulled an Ozymandias and already initiated his apocalyptic plan.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol goddamn eren owns

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beefstew posted:

But the same applies to Dina and Eren was able to direct it there. So what gives? Unless Dina secretly used it to suicide herself.

Dina was a pure titan with no mind.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

The fact that even Grisha is horrified with Eren's plan enough to prefer Zeke solution makes me think its something really bad
Even Eren thinks his solution is something really bad as evidenced by him trying to unfriend everyone.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

if he can see the future can't he have seen their deaths

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

As much as folks here have been trying to be helpful to sort all this stuff out, I... still need a clearer explanation just so I can understand it better in my own head. See, between Eren "having" the coordinate, who does and doesn't have royal blood, and what the founding titan is, I'm really not sure I truly understand what the gently caress is going on and it primarily revolves around "what the gently caress is the founding titan." Like, is it a titan? Is it the attack titan? Did Grisha, having eaten the Reiss family, obtain the founding titan, and thus pass it on to Eren? Do we not know what the founding titan looks like on its own? How exactly does "having the coordinate" factor into all of this? Is the coordinate a native part of the founding titan or is it something separate? Honestly I could keep asking questions but instead of doing that maybe I should organize this all better. Using my previous questions as an example of just how loving confused I'm getting, just answer this and maybe it'll help.
1: What, exactly, is the founding titan? As in, is it its own titan that we have/have not seen yet and/or is it a piece of Eren.
2: What, exactly, can the founding titan do? I know there's poo poo about the rumbling, commanding Ymir, and wiping memories in here.
3: What, exactly, is the coordinate in relation to the founding titan? Honestly for the longest time I thought the founding titan and the coordinate were the same thing.
4: What is it, exactly, that makes Zeke special again? Something about being Frida's son, right? But what makes Frida special? Does she have royal blood?
Honestly I could keep track of everything in Game of Thrones, I don't know why it's so hard to keep this poo poo straight in AoT.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The fact that even Grisha is horrified with Eren's plan enough to prefer Zeke solution makes me think its something really bad
Does Grisha know Eren's plan all the way through, though? I thought he was saying this to Zeke because Eren had forced him to kill children, which he was very much against. If it was a "he's seeing the future via being a titan" thing, was he only just now seeing it having eaten the Reiss family?

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

#1. It’s it’s own Titan, we see Grisha fight it (and eat it), which is why Eren now has it.
#2. It controls other titans and, to a point, all other Eldians.
#3. They are, it’s the name of the power.
#4. Yes to both, he has royal blood as did his mother.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I think there’s a distinct possibility that Eren is still playing the long con and shows Grisha a horrible future (selectively), to try to influence him and Zeke.

Or it could be as bad as Grisha says and Erens gone full villain.

Or maybe we’re gonna get a Code Geass type ending where Erens plan somehow involves alienating everyone to bring them together or some wild poo poo, who knows.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
We still don't know if Grisha was shown Zeke's plan through Eren. I have a feeling Grisha wouldn't agree with performing genocide on his own people.

DaveKap posted:

4: What is it, exactly, that makes Zeke special again? Something about being Frida's son, right? But what makes Frida special? Does she have royal blood?

Zeke is Dina's son, not Frida's. Frida was the carrier of the Founding Titan, that Grisha ate. Dina was part of a separate branch of the royal family.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This chapter reminds me of the part in Muv Luv where Shirogane and sexy doctor were talking about alternate dimension cause and effect while driving down the highway

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JahRoo posted:

Or maybe we’re gonna get a Code Geass type ending where Erens plan somehow involves alienating everyone to bring them together or some wild poo poo, who knows.

smh people still referencing Code Geass ending when it's based off of the God Emperor Leto II, and in this case it's even a better match because he also has prescience

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thoren posted:

let's not be hasty here

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I still have no idea what's going on and if someone doesn't explain it I'll end up watching some youtube explainer in 5 years.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Try reading again from the beginning.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So what I'm getting out of this is that Eren has actually been the Smoke Monster this whole time.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Conspiratiorist posted:

Try reading again from the beginning.

Do that, really

I did recently, cause I also was barely understanding anything anymore

Is great not only to remind yourself: is also very interesting to read this story from the start knowing whats really out there

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

So what I'm getting out of this is that Eren has actually been the Smoke Monster this whole time.

Nah, the Smoke Monster is whatever future Attack Titan wielder is showing just enough of what's to come to control Eren.

"To You, 2000 Years From Now."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Eej posted:

smh people still referencing Code Geass ending when it's based off of the God Emperor Leto II, and in this case it's even a better match because he also has prescience

Yeah, I made the same comparison.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

This series is one of the best to reread, it's pretty amazing how so many scenes meaningfully change when you know exactly what's happening in them, and how well the new meaning is textually supported.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ATP_Power posted:

This series is one of the best to reread, it's pretty amazing how so many scenes meaningfully change when you know exactly what's happening in them, and how well the new meaning is textually supported.

Yeah, it's amazing how not only everything fits, everything actually makes a lot more sense when you know what's really going

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ATP_Power posted:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Do that, really

I did recently, cause I also was barely understanding anything anymore

Is great not only to remind yourself: is also very interesting to read this story from the start knowing whats really out there

Yeah, I remember reading someone pointing out stuff like this (chapter 1 and chapter 121). Like, regards to why Grisha wasn't looking at his son when he was talking to him. Turns out he was, just not his son at that point in time.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, I remember reading someone pointing out stuff like this (chapter 1 and chapter 121). Like, regards to why Grisha wasn't looking at his son when he was talking to him. Turns out he was, just not his son at that point in time.

holy poo poo

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Also, wow, always amazing to see what a decade of work and staffing can do to art.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Also, wow, always amazing to see what a decade of work and staffing can do to art.

Yeah, he can now afford screen tones and assistants to stick them on. So the finer details have cleaned up significantly, also the inking on clothing is way better and looks a lot less stiff.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I bet the 2,000 years in the future thing is someone showing this to Eren, then he kills himself in the womb. Or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man I hope not. that ending would blow

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the butterfly effect already used that one and it was a horrid bookend to a terrible movie so no

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Thanks for answering my questions. I think I get it all now! Other than mixing up Frida and Dina, anyway.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Motherfucker...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Chapter 1 should be renamed to: "To you, my readers, 10 years from now"

From any other writer I'd think it is a very cool and happy coincidence, but still just a coincidence. Considering chapter 1 also has that 2000 years line which paid off after 9 years of setup? I can buy that Isayama planned the paneling of the pages out thinking "man wouldn't it be super funny if i got absurdly successful and get to recontextualize this scene 10 years down the line".

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The very first scene with eren and mikasa is him waking up from a flash forward, and now with the latest events I dont even know if its of his own life or a descendants

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Man this is going to amazing to re-read (assuming the ending doesn't disappoint). How popular is AoT in mainstream culture? I feel like this has got to be one of the most underrated pieces of literature of contemporary writing.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

iamsosmrt posted:

Man this is going to amazing to re-read (assuming the ending doesn't disappoint). How popular is AoT in mainstream culture? I feel like this has got to be one of the most underrated pieces of literature of contemporary writing.

It's been consistently the third-bestselling manga for the past several years and made the NY Times bestseller lists at some point. The anime is even more popular, I think. There have been crossovers with Avengers in official Marvel comics and discussion of a Hollywood live-action remake. While it's not the BIG THING that it was in 2013 (that honor, deservedly or not, goes to My Hero Academia), it's definitely one of the most recognizable anime properties and largely responsible for the revival of interest that occurred in the mainstream in the early 2010s.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So Grisha is going for the Destroy ending. Is Eren going for Control, or Synthesis?

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So Grisha is going for the Destroy ending. Is Eren going for Control, or Synthesis?

Clint Mansell should score this, that much I'll give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Considering Zeke's (and to a greater extent, the King's) was Control, Eren's definitely Synthesis.