Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wheel of Time is a high fantasy series consisting of 14 books published over a 23 year period.

Sadly, the author Robert Jordan passed away without finishing the series. Jordan's widow chose Brandon Sanderson to finish the series based on Jordan's notes, and most fans were happy with the conclusion. Brandon Sanderson is a bit of a big deal and he has his own thread over here which you don't have to fill with Wheel of Time stuff anymore thank you god bless

Amazon and Sony Pictures are currently developing a TV series for Amazon's Prime streaming service which has sparked renewed interest in the story.

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161671427117867008

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161673919436185600

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161672659534413824

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161670278448947201

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161668876720984064

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1141390183641866245

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1169279471712497664

Presumably the show's twitter account will be a good source for updates on the development of the show.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prior WoT threads (now archived):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460087

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508074

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I was going to go with "Wheel of Time: Get a loving life. It's only tits and the Dragon Reborn"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I guess it's time to start my new reread

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is it mormon to have a lot of spanking, or is that just a reference to Sanderson finishing the series?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ugh I thought Robert Jordan was mormon as well as Brandon Sanderson

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
These books suck and I’m mad at myself for starting them and madder that I know I’m gonna finish them anyway

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

mewse posted:

Ugh I thought Robert Jordan was mormon as well as Brandon Sanderson
Well I guess it does have less sex and brutal violence than GoT right?

Phobeste posted:

These books suck and I’m mad at myself for starting them and madder that I know I’m gonna finish them anyway
Read Cradle instead the first three are free right now: https://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Foundation-Collected-Book-ebook/dp/B076G8DVN6/

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cicero posted:

Well I guess it does have less sex and brutal violence than GoT right?

Yeah that was kinda the joke in my thread title, they're gonna try to sex it up for TV when it's a really tame series

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh good, a dedicated thread I can annoy with my snide wisecracks

mewse
May 2, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Oh good, a dedicated thread I can annoy with my snide wisecracks

Ok, Mat

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Technically, most people would call raken dragons as well, I think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Torrannor posted:

Technically, most people would call raken dragons as well, I think.

more wyverns i think

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I thought they were pterodactyls.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Raken

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/To%27raken

According to The Big Book of Bad Art, anyway

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Well, then, the Ian McShane quote is entirely accurate.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That lady who'll be playing Nynaeve has braids to tug for days.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She should braid the braids together into one giant super braid

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Also, I just want to say I'm pleased by how diverse that cast looks. I think a lot of the racial diversity in WoT gets glossed over or ignored, but while they may still be super hung up on nationalism they're pretty much a post-racism society. I don't remember just how long it took but I'm fairly sure Tuon had been a character in several books before it was mentioned that she was black.

I hope there are like five times as many weird little gatherings of the Forsaken in the TV show, I loved those meetings.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mad Hamish posted:

I hope there are like five times as many weird little gatherings of the Forsaken in the TV show, I loved those meetings.

Yeah, like the first one in the first book, I was chortling to myself that it sounded like he was describing the Forsaken guys approaching each other on different staircases in one of those Escher drawings.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I am going to thoroughly enjoy the inevitable screeching when all the marketing about "powerful women" runs into the books stating men are more powerful than women as magic users.

This is not to say there are not issues that need to be addressed between men and women, but it always amuses me that people try to use books about wizards for that.

This is also an adaptation that I hope is much less faithful to the books, because hoo boy if I hear "Bowl of the WInds" or "Faile" I am going to be the saddest panda.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Thank you for this, I just finished the first book and it's reasonably entertaining.

Also:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I'm down.

taishar malkier

Best casting choice!!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't know any of those actors but the only one that really clashes with the vision in my head is Nynaeve, and that's only because she doesn't have an enormous braid.

Beefcake Lan is extremely correct.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i imagined perrin being more square tbh

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I am going to thoroughly enjoy the inevitable screeching when all the marketing about "powerful women" runs into the books stating men are more powerful than women as magic users.

This is not to say there are not issues that need to be addressed between men and women, but it always amuses me that people try to use books about wizards for that.

This is also an adaptation that I hope is much less faithful to the books, because hoo boy if I hear "Bowl of the WInds" or "Faile" I am going to be the saddest panda.

Faile will 100% be in the show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RC Cola posted:

After all, there aren’t enough women in the story

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They still need to reveal casting for Fain, Min, Bella, Lews Therin, and Ishamael but I'm hella hyped so far.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Billy Zane with "proper motivation" for Ishamael, or bust.

Other "major" characters we can meet in Book 1 that I would like to see casting on, grouped in order:

Tam

Thom
Morgase
Elaida
Gareth Bryne
Elayne
Galad
Gawyn

Agelmar
Masema

Balthamel
Aginor

Someshta

_____

Also, I'm not sure if casting the other Forsaken should be announced early. Most of them show up unnamed in the various Forsaken Social Gatherings until (much much) later on in the books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 7, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Was Elayne revealed already?

I suspect they're in no rush to cast Tuon. She first appears in book 9 after all.

Garfield
Jun 25, 2019

So, with game of thrones, almost everyone cast looked pretty much like how I imagined the book characters in my head. In this case, the cast so far don’t match the images I had as such, but I can also totally see them as interesting valid interpretations and I’m glad there’s loads of diversity because that was explicitly a thing.

Anyway I hope this show is good/a grolm steps on some people

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Was Elayne revealed already?

I suspect they're in no rush to cast Tuon. She first appears in book 9 after all.

I bet they have her show up in the first Seanchan appearance at Falme.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kind of the way Azula showed up a season early in a throwaway shot in I think S1 of ATLA.

I was like “who is that and why is she grinning that way”

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Who are the showrunners? How much involvement does Jordan's widow have? What are the production values going to be? Are we getting visuals inspired by Bad Book of Art or the bad fan art or the bad covers or...why does this series have so much bad art? Wasn't there a proposed MMO or card game or something where the halfway decent stuff like this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/35/15/3e/35153e1268f2b5402cb381ab63faa05a.jpg) came from?

Anyway. I think the casting is pretty interesting, I'm glad they're using the excuse of the Two Rivers being a mishmash of families that immigrated there over time to shoehorn in more diversity. Rosamund Pike is a huge get and a much better choice for Moiraine than I would've expected. There's so much that could go left though. For better or worse the general level of complexity, dialogue, and characterization in Wheel of Time is much weaker than Game of Thrones, or even the Magicians, so I'm hoping that they take a note from the Boys and just excise huge amounts of stuff in favor of crafting something more cohesive, more entertaining, and less racist, sexist, etc.

I guess I should get around to finishing the last two books. I gave up after reading the first Sanderson one, it felt too much like just jumping from plot point to plot point but invested too much time and energy to not eventually see it through to the end.

Edit: Apparently the showrunner is a guy who worked on Agents of SHIELD? Dunno if that's good or bad.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 8, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now that’s one helluva username/post combo

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Obviously I had/have a lot of affinity for the series and if there had been an adaptation in the works a decade ago I probably would've jumped for joy. Combination of expanding my literary horizons and the change in perception that comes with getting older just means it's easier to acknowledge that something that was my FAVORITE FANTASY SERIES OF ALL TIME!!1!1 up until like a decade ago was never really that great, despite my enjoyment of it. Amazon has generally done pretty well with their adaptations so I guess there's reason to be cautiously optimistic but in all honesty I'm probably looking forward to the adaptation of the Black Company series than this one.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's certainly easy to just end the black company before it gets to the bad ones.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

RC Cola posted:

Please God no.

Do we know how much they plan to cover in a season?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Please God no.

Do we know how much they plan to cover in a season?

They can cut books 7-11 of Perrin's arc into 2-3 episodes.
Cut out the prophet entirely actually.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

They can cut books 7-11 of Perrin's arc into 2-3 episodes.
Cut out the prophet entirely actually.

Hell no. Masema is a great recurring antagonist in his own right and Perrin setting up the mother of all combination shots in books 9-11 is one of the most underrated segments of the books.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Yeah that'll be a great three episodes. No reason for it to last three seasons.