Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

Still feel like the ContraPoints poo poo really shows that Twitter leftism is rancid trash and that people should just let little poo poo like this poo poo go instead of annoying someone enough that they just give up on talking at all.

Twitter is rancid trash across the board, not just the leftism.

EDIT: \/ I don't disagree. Just that twitter, by design, encourages this poo poo.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Leftism is very good but I just find the need to make bloviating reply threads to a lady because she personally has an utterly trifling issue with an utterly trifling thing and that somehow means she has set back non-binary people in a major way to be utterly pointless, and it sure looks really loving stupid when a big voice for leftism on the internet just gives up interacting with other left wing people because they cannot let anything go.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Leftism isn't a monolithic entity. People on the Left have wildly different priorities. This "utterly trifling issue" to you isn't so utterly trifling to others. The way twitter is set up is bad for an individual with lots of exposure. Even if every single reply to her comments was extremely thoughtful and explained why her statement was problematic, you're still being bombarded by hundreds, thousands if not tens of thousands of them and it's easy to be overwhelmed and feel like you're being attacked.

When you feel like you're being attacked you tend to go on the defensive and, sometimes (or a lot of the time) you just make things worse.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SunAndSpring posted:

has an utterly trifling issue with an utterly trifling thing

Yardbomb posted:

"semi-passable transes"

They were being incredibly lovely sounding.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no she really wasn’t
it was an incredibly mundane take about how cis people tend to behave differently when there’s one trans person in the room

twitter discourse literally can’t handle mundaneness though, there’s only “canceled” or “not canceled”

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 5, 2019

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

T1J has a new video on How White People Can Learn About The Black Experience or learn about the experiences of minorities.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm happy you're here to tell people what they're allowed to take offense to, a thing you'd absolutely mock the poo poo out of stans for right wing people doing when they say something stupid.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Archer666 posted:

Well the last couple pages sure were a trip. Here's Civvie talking about Singularity, a game I've always seen on sale at my local game store but never bought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDbst2pH4pA

If you want to watch an LP of that game I highly recommend the one by Your Evil Twin. He has an absolute blast playing the game and showing off all the neat things you can do with the various weapons and powers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

I'm happy you're here to tell people what they're allowed to take offense to, a thing you'd absolutely mock the poo poo out of stans for right wing people doing when they say something stupid.

I’m offended by the overwhelming sentiment that I’m seeing expressed by people who are Extremely Mad about this which veers dangerously close to “only certain trans perspective are valid”

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Still feel like the ContraPoints poo poo really shows that Twitter leftism is rancid trash and that people should just let little poo poo like this poo poo go instead of annoying someone enough that they just give up on talking at all.
It gives people the fleeting illusion of power to yell at someone for a perceived infraction. The only solution is to drive a gasoline tanker into Twitter servers.

Also adding to this: only 7% of Americans use Twitter, but it's practically the news at this point. It's a good snapshot of American society in general: the quantity of people isn't there, but the "quality" of people in terms of influence is. Trump is the biggest one, of course, but then you've got other right-wingers and centrist political and media figures that set the topic. So while the amount of people who don't like Contrapoints because of whatever the hell it is she did (I'm gonna guess it's because she said something that doesn't 100% fit in with how identity liberalism thinks a trans woman needs to act) is small, they're relatively mighty.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Augus posted:

no she really wasn't
it was an incredibly mundane take about how cis people tend to behave differently when there's one trans person in the room

twitter discourse literally can't handle mundaneness though, there's only canceled or not canceled

Augus posted:

I'm offended by the overwhelming sentiment that I'm seeing expressed by people who are Extremely Mad about this which veers dangerously close to only certain trans perspective are valid

"I can go in some crap north carolina bar and get she and ma'am'd all night but the woke spaces make things hard for me and other 'semi-passable transes' because of assuming they's and stuff"

I mean I'll say what I said before, oh the poor "semi-passable transes", sorry that us big ugly non-passing vanguard "transes" I guess make ~woke~ spaces so hard. *Gets beaten or killed in the same bar they're so cool in*

Also shove your "CANCEL CULTURRRRRE" bit.

get that OUT of my face posted:

(I'm gonna guess it's because she said something that doesn't 100% fit in with how identity liberalism thinks a trans woman needs to act)

No, it's because they were using some suspect rear end wording about nb people again.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

They were being incredibly lovely sounding.

The thing that gets me about this is that on her latest ep she had a way, way better response about this ("Because I'm a Libraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.") that showcased enough of a thesis of showing that yes, this wasn't exactly this demand of NB people to go postrate themselves to not inconvenience BreadTube on not being too weird to "normals" or whatever the gently caress.

That kinda changed with the incredibly stupid and short sighted "I'm actually an old style trans which is why zoomer tumblr teens dislike my approach" which lead to well, older trans people telling her to gently caress off. Breadtube's approach on poo poo like this hasn't changed much from 2012 from lovely threads tut-tuting Yemen protesters on how too abrasive they're being to Obama, and we're going to see a lot more articles on the ongoing shitfit on how dare The Queer Teens Were Mean To Mother.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

no she really wasn’t
it was an incredibly mundane take about how cis people tend to behave differently when there’s one trans person in the room
then why did she bring up nb people at all lol

also i dont think the fact that the crappy youtube lady will no longer Tweet is a massive setback for leftism

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so gently caress her for wanting to be referred to with the proper pronouns I guess

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

so gently caress her for wanting to be referred to with the proper pronouns I guess
dude if she just wanted to say those cis people sucked that would be totally fair, but she brought up nb people for no reason and then refused to just go 'yeah that isnt the point i was trying to make but i could see how you could read it that way, my bad'

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

You're leaving out the most original tweet in this discussion where the situation was specifically about her being with a group of cis people (not trans) who were doing a pronoun circle and referring to THEM as "woke." She's expressing how awkward it is to be in that situation as the ONLY trans person and having to go through the motions, which makes her feel singled out and effectively othered in the process. How this became about NB folk is honestly confusing, because none of the tweets in your post or the original tweet refer to them in any capacity.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the problem with the second tweet is less "she said a bad thing" and more that she's passing off personal experience as universal, but everyone does that on twitter to begin with. i don't know the context but that doesn't seem to matter to people either

Yardbomb posted:

Also shove your "CANCEL CULTURRRRRE" bit.
yeah guys don't ever bring up a very real thing that makes Twitter a loving cesspool of a website, that'll solve the problem

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 5, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

You're leaving out the most original tweet in this discussion where the situation was specifically about her being with a group of cis people (not trans) who were doing a pronoun circle and referring to THEM as "woke." She's expressing how awkward it is to be in that situation as the ONLY trans person and having to go through the motions, which makes her feel singled out and effectively othered in the process. How this became about NB folk is honestly confusing, because none of the tweets in your post or the original tweet refer to them in any capacity.
it became about nb people because she literally brought them up herself for no reason

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Augus posted:

no she really wasn’t

twitter discourse literally can’t handle mundaneness though, there’s only “canceled” or “not canceled”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Post the whole tweet thread

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Endorph posted:

then why did she bring up nb people at all lol

she made a mistake because she didn't think things through

and the next mistake was not realizing that and instead just posting through

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

hell, who hasn't done this

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Augus posted:

Post the whole tweet thread

Are you purposefully being this loving thick or are you genuinely a moron?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah thats exactly my point

if shed just gone 'yeah i made a mistake in wording it that way, heres what i meant' it would have been over and done with in two days but instead she decided to go for the dramabomb option and now a bunch of people are mad about the terrifying power that 15 year old undertale fanartists hold over the future of leftist politics

hell, who hasn't done this
i dont think she deserves to get permanently owned or anything, she just said something stupid and then handled it in the dumbest possible way once she got any pushback for it

like seriously going through the twitter replies for those tweets it was like 90% support and 10% 'what', im sure some people were bitching about her in their own circles but it seriously feels like there being some massive cancel backlash here is entirely made up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

watho posted:

did nobody on twitter screenshot the first half of that stream of thought for you

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

watho posted:

You have yet to explain with any detail what you're taking issue with on this topic, so some kind of clarification would be useful to people who aren't seeing your viewpoint.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

yeah guys don't ever bring up a very real thing that makes Twitter a loving cesspool of a website, that'll solve the problem

lol at pretending "cancel culture" is anything but a lovely right winger dogwhistle the vast majority of the time, it's been over and over a giant red flag for "Oh no, I've done/do horrible or abusive things, what if I'm next?!" because it almost always gets wielded as a "These big mean lefitsts cancelled poor Jonathantron Jafari!" etc. in efforts to dissuade people coming forward about abuse, because think of the abusers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ftr there are issues with cancel culture but 'cancelling' only ever actually permanently affects people with 200 followers who draw problematic gay voltron fanart, anyone with any sway can literally just ignore it or vanish for a couple months and come out the other end totally fine. like contrapoints will be back in 3 weeks and nobody will mention any of this again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm still not seeing the problem other than the usual Twitter behavior of talking about her personal experience and giving it a degree of universality. gently caress, people get rewards for that all the time

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's not cancel culture, it's just people whining because ContraPoints had a personal anecdote that did not agree with some invisible and hard-to-read orthodoxy assembled by people who have Zombieland Saga avatars.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Augus posted:

no she really wasn’t

It's an incredibly mundane take that practically throws non-passing and non-binary people under a bus, reinforcing existing beliefs about transpeople at the expense of everyone else.

It was dumb as gently caress and she should have kept her dogshit opinion to herself if she didn't want to be criticised for tweeting it. She has far more power and reach individually here then any of the rest of us and there are certain responsibilities that come with that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

You have yet to explain with any detail what you're taking issue with on this topic, so some kind of clarification would be useful to people who aren't seeing your viewpoint.

Complaining about how the current generation of trans people are being very visible and radical is almost exactly the infamous take boogie had about the LGBTQ community

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

It's not cancel culture, it's just people whining because ContraPoints had a personal anecdote that did not agree with some invisible and hard-to-read orthodoxy assembled by people who have Zombieland Saga avatars.
as opposed to the globally understood and well-researched orthodoxy handed down to us by the most qualified of scholars, some lady with a youtube channel

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm gonna admit i am a little uncomfortable with the idea that if someone ever says or does a bad thing, they are Bad Forever and have Always Been Bad and are incapable of change and should just be thrown in the trash forever

like we're really bad at offering "cancelled" people any kind of path forward beyond "gently caress off forever" or "go full chud," and the former just straight up isn't reasonably possible for a lot of media people because media poo poo is the only marketable skill they have

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I really love how I can’t point out how someone’s statements run me the wrong way without being accused of wanting them to be put in permanent loving exile

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Contra is going to be sitting on a few articles complaining about the uppity queer teens, we're going to be subject to huge threads on how they were mean to Mother, and then she'll be back in a few weeks like as if nothing else has ever happened. Like every other time she pooped the bed. Don't worry too much about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm gonna admit i am a little uncomfortable with the idea that if someone ever says or does a bad thing, they are Bad Forever and have Always Been Bad and are incapable of change and should just be thrown in the trash forever

like we're really bad at offering "cancelled" people any kind of path forward beyond "gently caress off forever" or "go full chud," and the former just straight up isn't reasonably possible for a lot of media people because media poo poo is the only marketable skill they have

what the gently caress are you talking about, the path forward is maybe just for five loving seconds consider you might not be the victim of the evil woke mob and actually hurt people. That's the path, it's a loving easy path!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm gonna admit i am a little uncomfortable with the idea that if someone ever says or does a bad thing, they are Bad Forever and have Always Been Bad and are incapable of change

they can literally just keep going and nothing will change dude, thats the thing that gets ignored in conversations like this

if contrapoints dropped a video literally right now, entirely unrelated to any of this, itd get the same number of views and the same like/dislike ratio as always. the majority of people pay literally no attention to this stuff and even the people who are passingly aware of it will forget about it in a week or two. nobody has any actual power to do anything to contrapoints. she could log onto twitter and declare this was all a part of her master plan to demonize nb people and nothing would happen, her making a mildly off aside isnt even worth a medium article.

thats why its so funny that she deleted over it and so many people are wringing their hands just because a few random twitter people went 'hey this is kind of stupid.' literally any pushback for anything is seen as a betrayal of the left, regardless of how ineffectual it is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ash Crimson posted:

It's an incredibly mundane take that practically throws non-passing and non-binary people under a bus,

vocalizing ones experiences as a passing and binary trans person is not “throwing non-binaries under a bus”

quote:

thats why its so funny that she deleted over it and so many people are wringing their hands just because a few random twitter people went 'hey this is kind of stupid.'
this is an extremely intellectually dishonest way to frame it and you should know that

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
*person refuses to acknowledge the disagreements others in the community bring up, proceeds to mock them, delete twitter in a huff*

'wow hosed up you guys didn't offer her a path back, really aren't you just as guilty?'