Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm not being smug or fastidious, but:

Why not strap it on the bag? Most bags have features to hold gear, I slap my tent on there and Bob's your auntie.

Oh I definitely do for longer trips or winter when I bring more clothes and will still want a real tent. My tent fits well on a few places on the outside. I’m mostly jibber-jabbering because I’m excited about having a smaller setup for easy warm 1 night trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Chard posted:

Phew, for that price why not just look at Zpacks? They're single-wall so you give up the removable fly but save almost half the weight.

I actually got the tent with a footprint thing that you substitute for the full inner tent and makes it lighter, on the basis that there aren't too many mosquitoes at altitude. I think about 600g total weight.

Yeah you can get lighter with the ones that use adjustable trekking poles but then you have to definitely carry the poles and they don't look that stable if a storm rolls in. I think I recall that the Zpacks fabric is really fragile and maybe unsealed seams? The MSR was around the lightest while still being a self-contained tent.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I like my MSR Hubba NX 2 single person, but I definitely pack the tent, rain fly, and my ground cloth separately, and poles aren't terribly space efficient because they ('re hollow :razz: and) can't be compressed easily.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Last page of discussion makes me very happy to canoe camp.
My 75L pack is generally pretty full even with my tent clipped to the outside, AND we bring a separate barrel for food /cooking implements.*

I've actually been eyeing a 115L dry pack since we're considering starting on whitewater trips.

*We do 3-5 night trips so we're not actually over packing that much

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Not sure if anyone else interacted with the infamous Baltimore Jack, but outside has a piece on him

https://www.outsideonline.com/2401325/baltimore-jack-appalachian-trail

My wife and I met him a few times on our 2011 thru hike.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I actually got the tent with a footprint thing that you substitute for the full inner tent and makes it lighter, on the basis that there aren't too many mosquitoes at altitude. I think about 600g total weight.

Yeah you can get lighter with the ones that use adjustable trekking poles but then you have to definitely carry the poles and they don't look that stable if a storm rolls in. I think I recall that the Zpacks fabric is really fragile and maybe unsealed seams? The MSR was around the lightest while still being a self-contained tent.

I can't speak about the zpacks tents personally, but single wall trekking pole supported tents--especially pyramids/tipis with a central pole under a mostly compressive load--are among the most stormworthy (and certainly the most wind resistant) shelters you can buy. Pretty much the only shelters stronger than those are mountaineering "tunnel tents" supported by multiple high-angle of curvature poles, that weigh easily 3-4x as much.

The material zpacks uses is extremely hard to tear, but the standard 0.5 oz/sq yd thickness is not super puncture resistant. I've found 0.75 oz/sq yd DCF material to be very tough, but most people opt for the thinner material.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I've used the Zpacks before on a canoe trip, came back and immediately ordered another one and their tarp.

They also sell the carbon fiber poles for the triplex if you don't want to carry around trekking poles, I've used it both with the stand alone poles and the trekking poles and it was fine both times.

Even used it in ~20F weather.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 9, 2019

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Made some adventurous new friends in the city of Kharkov, Ukraine, and this past weekend we hopped on the intercity train about an hour south to the Nature Preserve outside of Zmiyiv for a little camping trip. We had biked the area a few weeks prior and came across a really beautiful mountain/mound overlooking a river and the Steppe. Basically the only observable "mountainous" spot in over a hundred square kilometers.

We heard tell from the locals that this time of year at sunrise, the precipitation systems blow in from the East over the vast Steppe and get trapped in this little mountain enclave, making a hundred-meter mound feel like highest peaks of the Alps. So we came back for a little camping trip, got real drunk and set more than a few sunrise alarms on our phones. It did not disappoint.

a surprise paddle-boarder

can't wait to go back and see what it's like in winter

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Somehow I forgot this thread existed, glad to have found it again.

Doing a single night stay in the smokies soon, single night because a friend is headed down there for vacation with his family but wanted to get in to backpack as well. I feel it's going to be murder just due to the rate we have to hike in, but as with all things backpacking ... it will be awesome.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
That looks amazing :allears:

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Not sure if anyone else interacted with the infamous Baltimore Jack, but outside has a piece on him

https://www.outsideonline.com/2401325/baltimore-jack-appalachian-trail

My wife and I met him a few times on our 2011 thru hike.

Thanks for this, it made for an interesting read.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yay work is sending me to Jackson Hole for 8 days! Gonna go hang out in the woods!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s awesome! If you don’t mind my asking, what’s your job going to be?

Looks like day hikes ahead for me, but I’ve got a couple places to explore that don’t allow camping anyway. Found this gem this week too:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m a pilot, it’s basically a week long layover where my hotel, food, car and beer are covered.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

If only I knew how to fly. Enjoy!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

RE rain fly: Always. The vestibule alone is something I will not go without.

RE packing it down: I'd go with the 60L just because its about the same weight as the smaller pack but gives you much more room for multiple uses, day or multiday. For my serious pack (3+ days) I have like a 70 or 75 and still could use more space, but it carries totally fine even over long distances so a proper fit is really key. Look for a pack with longitudinal zippers, allowing for access along the entirety of the pack. But I also agree with the above posters who said to reconsider gear. Dump too many changes of clothes--you will rapidly go nose blind to yourself.

Tents can only be packed down so far, so the exterior straps are a great idea. But for sleeping bags, wet/dry bag, etc., look into a compression stuff sack. I"m amazed how much more room that device gets me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ogarza posted:

I've used the Zpacks before on a canoe trip, came back and immediately ordered another one and their tarp.

I like the look of the zpacks tarps. Might get one of the camouflage ones. How shiny is that material? If its glinting in the sunlight there's not much point it being camo.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I have the grey one and it's not super shiny but I'm not sure if the same sheen was on camo it would be that great. It's definitely not matte.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

RE rain fly: Always. The vestibule alone is something I will not go without.

RE packing it down: I'd go with the 60L just because its about the same weight as the smaller pack but gives you much more room for multiple uses, day or multiday. For my serious pack (3+ days) I have like a 70 or 75 and still could use more space, but it carries totally fine even over long distances so a proper fit is really key. Look for a pack with longitudinal zippers, allowing for access along the entirety of the pack. But I also agree with the above posters who said to reconsider gear. Dump too many changes of clothes--you will rapidly go nose blind to yourself.

Tents can only be packed down so far, so the exterior straps are a great idea. But for sleeping bags, wet/dry bag, etc., look into a compression stuff sack. I"m amazed how much more room that device gets me.

I ended up with a Kelty Redwing 50. It can carry everything I need for the 1-2 night stays I typically do. I’m sure it could do even more if I strap the tent on the bottom. Plenty of room for winter gear too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

climbed Belknap Crater near Sisters, OR yesterday. not a big hike but the terrain and elevation made it difficult

here's North & Middle Sister. i have to learn how to climb these one day

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

I like the look of the zpacks tarps. Might get one of the camouflage ones. How shiny is that material? If its glinting in the sunlight there's not much point it being camo.

I've not seen the camo, I have the heavy gray material, and it's not shiny at all, more like in between shiny and matte gray because of how crinkly it is (material is shiny). Although to be fair, I've never set it up in the sunlight, mainly I go to the north woods.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 16, 2019

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

This place is talking to me. I just want to drop a tent here and stay for awhile.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Where is that

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kings Canyon National Park. We did the clockwise Rae Lakes loop last week (apx. 46 miles with side hikes). That's Fin Dome above the middle lake the morning we crossed Glenn Pass. I'm a crummy photographer which is why I'm so pleased with that first one.

Looking South back down the ascent through Paradise Valley
View from rim of 60 Lakes Basin above Rae Lakes
Area between Onion Valley trailhead and Kearsarge Pass, I think
Bubb's Creek, our companion on the way out
Above switchbacks back down to Road's End

e: also I just realized these are enormous but oh well

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh lol yeah now I recognize Fin Dome.

Chard posted:

Kings Canyon National Park. We did the clockwise Rae Lakes loop last week (apx. 46 miles with side hikes). That's Fin Dome above the middle lake the morning we crossed Glenn Pass. I'm a crummy photographer which is why I'm so pleased with that first one.
Area between Onion Valley trailhead and Kearsarge Pass, I think

I think that's East Vidette Peak so it'd be on the other side of Kearsarge Pass from Onion Valley

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Levitate posted:

oh lol yeah now I recognize Fin Dome.

I think that's East Vidette Peak so it'd be on the other side of Kearsarge Pass from Onion Valley

That's what I was thinking looking at the map, so I guess that confirms it. This was shot after we crossed Glenn Pass.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Those pics are amazing. In similar news, I spent the day hiking around Grand Teton National Park. Had a pretty exhausting 15 miles considering the altitude and also I guess because I drank last night?

Edit: Oh! Also (not a great pic because he was super skittish) but after several attempts I got a picture of a pika!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 19, 2019

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Keep breaking tables with this sort of poo poo. I'm all for it. <3

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Very happy to oblige!

Also I only post on the Awful app so I don’t see it, but I thought table breaking wasn’t a thing anymore.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I remember getting probation for breakin tables. Ah the good ole days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Table breaking is gone, but web browsers are still really poo poo at downloading large numbers of large files. This page chugs hard until everything finishes loading.

Programming is hard. :qq:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Did 3 nights in the Sawtooths last month, which was cool. Hadn't been there before. The Alice Lake/Toxaway loop was fairly busy but we still got a nice camp to ourselves at Toxaway Lake and there were no mosquitos which was the best part. Second night was at Spangle Lakes and things got a fair bit more quiet when you got out of that main loop. Probably even fewer people if you had time to keep going a bit further in. We looped back to Edna Lake and again didn't seem to be anyone there for the last night.

Looking back at the White Clouds while climbing to Alice Lake

Twin Lakes (above Alice Lake) while headed up and over towards Toxaway Lake

Another look back at the White Clouds

Morning coffee at the lake

Not actually sure which lake this was

Camp at Edna Lake

Had a little bit of weather try to sneak in on the last day

Section looked like an avalanche or rock slide zone, not sure exactly but it was a big mess of crushed and smashed trees

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Crossposting from the climbing thread, because these aren't really climbing photos for the most part. I spent a week in Yosemite (mostly in Tuolumne Meadows) climbing.

armorer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 24, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That is so awesome.

I may try my hand at climbing in the spring. I want to work on my fear of heights and have one more thing to do when the weather is nice in the hills.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nice! Matthes Crest is such a great route..

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rolo posted:

Those pics are amazing. In similar news, I spent the day hiking around Grand Teton National Park. Had a pretty exhausting 15 miles considering the altitude and also I guess because I drank last night?

Edit: Oh! Also (not a great pic because he was super skittish) but after several attempts I got a picture of a pika!

My undergraduate geology field camp was based out of Hoback Canyon near Jackson Hole, and their idea to get us acclimated for the summer was to march us up Middle Teton to Garnet Canyon. Gorgeous but also hellish. Fortunately I had my only attack of altitude sickness in Telluride a few days previous (sue me, I had lived near sea level most of my life to that point). By the end of that summer my legs were ripped, and I thought nothing of hiking up the perimeter walls around the top of Alta, Utah. Wish I were that fit now

I would love to get back there sometime

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

armorer posted:

Crossposting from the climbing thread, because these aren't really climbing photos for the most part. I spent a week in Yosemite (mostly in Tuolumne Meadows) climbing.

This is some good poo poo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bilirubin posted:

My undergraduate geology field camp was based out of Hoback Canyon near Jackson Hole, and their idea to get us acclimated for the summer was to march us up Middle Teton to Garnet Canyon. Gorgeous but also hellish. Fortunately I had my only attack of altitude sickness in Telluride a few days previous (sue me, I had lived near sea level most of my life to that point). By the end of that summer my legs were ripped, and I thought nothing of hiking up the perimeter walls around the top of Alta, Utah. Wish I were that fit now

I would love to get back there sometime

That’s cool! I got a huge headache once hiking around Aspen and Snowmass that I attributed to altitude. I averaged something like 7500-7700 feet this hike but it didn’t bother me at all. I think the morning kept me going with cold temps and the afternoon by how annoyed I was with the (other) tourists.

There’s a boat that runs across the lake for a few hours a day and takes people to the canyon trail with no effort. It opens up some of the more beautiful views to the differently abled, elderly or whomever feels like relaxing.

It also opens it up to bus loads of the rudest jerks to share a trail with.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Rolo posted:

I approve of this post, unsurprisingly. Easier to see at higher resolution. That poor pika needs more rocks but certainly has enough gathered for its burrow. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a 5 day trip to Glacier NP next year. Any recommendations on must do trails or campsites? Only wrinkle is that we were planning on a late August - early September arrival which I know makes things iffey with snow and the weather.