Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
All I remember about the WWZ movie is a dude tripping while getting on a helicopter and shooting himself in the head and I laughed way too hard at that.

Also, PEPSI (or whatever the vending machine was at the end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or Mathew Fox’s character being completely cut from the film, except for a five second background shot.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

JBP posted:

I just watched World War Z on Netflix. Like it isn't good or anything, but it's fine. I thought it was meant to be a trainwreck beyond belief... It's just a middling zombie movie with a lead actor way too expensive for the rest of the film.

dont both the book and movie have poo poo in them that's really transparently "rah rah israel is the best"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WWZ sucks because it’s PG-13 and the only thing good about modern zombie movies is the gore. It’s worthless

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Family Values posted:

By literally BUILDING THAT WALL!

That's par for the course, though. Most zombie fiction is just otherization taken to the extreme: 'we're surrounded by unthinking subhumans that must be slaughtered' made literal.

it seemes like early zombie stuff had pretty leftwing themes, but zombies have transitioned into a rightwing power fantasy

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

david_a posted:

I feel like being involved in the military industrial complex makes you much more likely to support what Israel does than simply being Jewish

speaking as a leftist jew, this is true

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Also WWZ had a straight up video game plot, including fetch quests at the end

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It’s been said before but World War Z could have potentially been a good Netflix or Prime series with each episode dealing with a chapter in the book (except for the shut in Japanese kid one)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Captain Magic posted:

Also WWZ had a straight up video game plot, including fetch quests at the end

That’s because they had to reshoot the entire last half for some reason.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And that reason is because it was horrible, it apparently hinges on Mathew Fox trying to rape Brad Pit’s wife while zombies are swarming the aircraft carrier.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And that reason is because it was horrible, it apparently hinges on Mathew Fox trying to rape Brad Pit’s wife while zombies are swarming the aircraft carrier.

And, if I remember this right, the movie ends with Pitt in an anti-zombie militia in Russia while Matthew Fox's soldier holds Pitt's wife as a sex slave.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
At the video store I work at World War Z is tied with The Dark Knight as the title most often attempted to be sold to us by customers as part of our used buy program. We take neither.

(The Dark Knight is good but everyone and their mother owns it. Have never seen WWZ; never will.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Please tell us video store stories.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Finished Carnival Row yesterday. It was trash, especially the last two episodes, but I enjoyed it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The purge show is pretty poo poo but also entertaining, much like the Purge movies .

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
British movie Starred Up is on Canadian Netflix right now and it's a fantastic prison movie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hey,

feedmyleg posted:

Also, one of the dumbest things about World War Z is that the zombies don't even eat people. They just bite to spread the disease and then move on to the next victim. That movie is so loving lame.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

veni veni veni posted:

The purge show is pretty poo poo but also entertaining, much like the Purge movies .

The purge movies past the first one (which was just boring) are never home runs, but they always swing for the fences.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

I use Ancient Aliens as a sleep aide, so I've probably "watched" every episode like ten times at this point but I don't actually watch them really. I sometimes wonder if that's what people are doing with these old sitcoms like Friends.

Haha, I'm not the only one who does this. They get so serious about it, and then you roll over to your side, your eyes slowly close to the conversations between two people wondering if Hitler really did get his hands on alien technology and you just giggle and hope you get a cool dream out of it all.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
American Factory is an infuriating whitewash that declines to side with workers against exploitation. What a perfect coda to the Obama years.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

There is nothing interesting to say. We are a video rental/sell-through store in a town with a high population of retired people and thus can (barely) maintain such a service.

A couple of things I thought were shocking initially but totally make sense:

Most people only have DVD players. As such our rental wall is 95% DVD. We’ve also eliminated 75% of our rental catalog in the last few years, from about 16,000 titles to the highest renting 4,000 or so. We are surviving off of sales. Blu-ray, DVD, AND VHS. Some person paid five goddamned dollars for a sealed copy of Old School on VHS. We have it on DVD for $3. Who the gently caress knows.

If it wasn’t for the fact that you need a TV and electricity to use purchases made at our store, I would think that many of our customers are homeless based on their dress, smell, and state of mind.

We sell through so much Argento, it’s nuts.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Alec Eiffel posted:

There is nothing interesting to say.

Myself and probably 99.99% of this thread begs to differ. Go on. It's good stuff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Yadoppsi posted:

American Factory is an infuriating whitewash that declines to side with workers against exploitation. What a perfect coda to the Obama years.

Ehh. While it didn't say outright it was pretty much on the side of the workers the entire time. The Chinese were painted in a bad light. To be fair though they should have been painted in a horrendous light. I also was annoyed how they didn't spend enough time on the company firing all of the pro-union workers and then going "Wow! Who knew that most of the workers here were anti-union?" :thunk:

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Just follow the camera's gaze. It focuses on the factory owners anguish and pathos, desires and drive. The union effort is never humanized this way. Instead it's this shadowy miasma in the backround. The way the Chinese workers are portrayed as happy drones willing to sacrifice for the success of the company is also a failing. The film never asked if they are exploited too and would benifit from the union just as the white workers would.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

That's a weird read and very different from how I saw it. The union organizers were quite sympathetic and I couldn't believe what the CEO allowed himself to be filmed saying. Like, cartoonishly evil poo poo. You don't put that in your film if you're biased toward the CEO.

My read was:

American workers: a bit slobbish but basically decent and being taken advantage of
Chinese workers: brainwashed automatons
American managers: rear end-kissing union busters
Chinese manager: basically racist against the white workers
Chinese CEO: appallingly exploitative and completely lacking in self awareness
Chinese union boss: son-in-law of the CEO and who sees his job as making the workers productive for the company

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

We sell through so much Argento, it’s nuts.

Talk about a twist ending.

And yeah, that's about what I'd expect I guess. Do y'all still do fun stuff like staff picks? No remaining film nerds still coming in?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The message I got from American Factory was basically “capitalism makes everyone’s lives worse off, even those that are perceived as the winners/exploiters of labor in the long run” which I’m pretty sure is validated by the Chairman’s monologue at the end.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

Talk about a twist ending.

And yeah, that's about what I'd expect I guess. Do y'all still do fun stuff like staff picks? No remaining film nerds still coming in?

Yeah, we have staff recs. My current ones are Incendies, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, A Scanner Darkly, and Babe: Pig in the City.

Hella film nerds come in, but mostly to purchase. We have a lot of film noir fans.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kanine posted:

dont both the book and movie have poo poo in them that's really transparently "rah rah israel is the best"

It didn't seem to say much about Israel and explained that they came up with a solution via some stupid works in a movie X-Files investigating but when the Palestinians start singing it attracts the zombies lol.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I'm still watching The Shield on Hulu (I'm on season 5 now, it's pretty cool), and I don't know if it was Hulu's decision to randomly add exclamation points to a bunch of the episode descriptions or what but it's kind of cracking me up. Half the time it's just boring mundane stuff like "Vic investigates a money-laundering scheme!" or "Vic teams up with a Latino detective!" but then the other half it's like "Kavanaugh investigates his ex-wife's brutal rape!" and "The gang investigates a murderous rampage at a battered women's shelter!"

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Anybody start The Spy on Netflix yet? Sasha Baron Cohen playing a real life Mossad agent embedded in Syria, the trailer looks great and reviews seem pretty good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beanieson posted:

Anybody start The Spy on Netflix yet? Sasha Baron Cohen playing a real life Mossad agent embedded in Syria, the trailer looks great and reviews seem pretty good.

just to save you guys the trouble this is NOT a show about Sacha Baron Cohen actually going to Syria and pretending to be a Mossad agent

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fallom posted:

just to save you guys the trouble this is NOT a show about Sacha Baron Cohen actually going to Syria and pretending to be a Mossad agent
Lol. That would probably be a very short show.

I didn't realize he acted in normal tv shows, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 8, 2019

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Family Values posted:

American workers: a bit slobbish but basically decent and being taken advantage of
Chinese union boss: son-in-law of the CEO and who sees his job as making the workers productive for the company

I would amend that to

Chinese workers: Have accepted their cruel fate and are playing along with the glass company loyalty songs because they know they're screwed if they don't.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm always a sucker for comedic actors in dramatic roles, and I'm also a sucker for spy movies so The Spy sounds like a perfect fit.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Family Values posted:

That's a weird read and very different from how I saw it. The union organizers were quite sympathetic and I couldn't believe what the CEO allowed himself to be filmed saying. Like, cartoonishly evil poo poo. You don't put that in your film if you're biased toward the CEO.

My read was:

This is pretty much how I read it. The American managers are loving spineless cretins, man the guy talking about taping their mouths shut for efficiency gains. How much of the corporate koolaid have you swallowed to actually talk that poo poo?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was looking for a movie to watch and came across Mean Streets on Netflix, a 1973 movie directed by Martin Scorsese. Okay, I've heard of this, but never knew who directed it, or who was in it. An all star cast. A movie about mafia dudes in the 70s. By the guy who did Goodfellas? Sure!

What a flipping weird flick. Random sex scene, random violence for no reason. No real plot. It's dark and totally 70s through and through. I didn't know what it was "about" before watching, but I guess it really is a "day in the life of" random Little Italy thugs/mafia in the 70s. So weird.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Mean Streets is very much Scorcese figuring out who and what he cares about
as a director.

I think of the part at the end, “NOW’s the time!” frequently. It’s such a weird delivery and moment.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Dante's Peak is on Netflix.

Remember in 97 two movies about volcanoes came out around the same time for some reason? I saw the other one, Volcano, in theaters when I was a kid, but never this one. I watched half of it last night on Netflix.

The dialogue is corny and the plot is pretty by the numbers, but it feels almost comforting and cozy in a way. It feels like a throwback in a
"they don't make movies quite like this anymore" sense.

Seems like a solid enough B-movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

skooma512 posted:

Dante's Peak is on Netflix.

Remember in 97 two movies about volcanoes came out around the same time for some reason? I saw the other one, Volcano, in theaters when I was a kid, but never this one. I watched half of it last night on Netflix.

The dialogue is corny and the plot is pretty by the numbers, but it feels almost comforting and cozy in a way. It feels like a throwback in a
"they don't make movies quite like this anymore" sense.

Seems like a solid enough B-movie.

They still make movies like that just not with the big budget, stars & theatrical release.