Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

purple death ray posted:

I like to read these people's impotent wailing on message boards and just cackle like a supervillain

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was attacked by a dog that belonged to one of the other kid's in our Boy Scout troop in the late 90s. I was fourteen at the time.

We eventually won a lawsuit against them because the dog and owners had a history of paying off victims of attacks. We (I) eventually got a $75,000 judgement against them, that would come in installments between me being fifteen and continuing until I received the rest at age twenty-one.

My parents decided to take the money and remodel the second bathroom in their house at $30,000, and my father to purchase a motorcycle from a family friend down in Florida (we're in New York/Long Island) for another $15,000.

I am with my spouse of seven years (second marriage) and we have nothing to show for the $75,000 that was originally mine.

That's really lovely. I don't have anything helpful to add, but drat, that really sucks.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chairman Mao posted:

Don’t touch the god damned poop. Don’t touch it.

yeah, safari rules. take only pictures, leave only bullet wounds

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Sorry, I mixed this up with r/relationships and posted intentionally lovely advice

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

Milady, 'tis the clobbering hour.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The main thing is to understand that you are there to meet the kids needs. The kid isn't there to meet your needs, and they won't.

They won't be happy they are safe and the abuse has stopped, they will be (rightfully) angry and resentful that the abuse ever happened, and they'll take it out on whoever is around.

Can confirm. I'm currently raising two boys from my extended family that were rescued from a situation not unlike the ones we've heard about in this thread.

Part of raising a child who is a survivor of trauma is being a target for their rage. In many ways, it's job one.

That rage will ruin their adult relationships. It will derail their education. It will destroy job opportunities. It will invite drug abuse. It will land them in prison.

So you stand in the blast zone and teach them to disarm the bomb. To process, to redirect, to recontextualize, to let go. Despite everyone's best efforts, sometimes the bomb still goes off.

The older boy told me a couple of weeks ago that he hated me, that he wished I wasn't in his life, that he wished he could go back to live with his abuser, that he'd rather be in juvie or a mental ward than spend another day in my house, that he'd rather get the poo poo beat out of him because at least that was real, unlike these stupid rules. He was out of control and saying every hurtful thing he could think of.

An hour later he was helping me with the dishes and freestyling about how much he loves ice cream. If you let their feelings dictate your own then you'll be in a constant state of emotional whiplash. You have to learn to ride the roller coaster with them without feeling the drops.

Three days later, he comes to me and tearfully apologizes. This is a test too. He's scared that he's damaged our relationship. That he can never control himself or be better than he is. That I'm going to realize any day now that he's broken and not want him any more.

I have to convince him all over again that this stability is real, that his progress is real, that my patience and love are real.

We had two solid months without falling into this cycle of rage and panic. We'll try for longer this time. That's the gig.

After taking them in, it took them about three months before they hugged me. It took them about six months to sit next to me on the couch and watch TV. They still have nightmares that they're back in their old life. I still get calls from the school and have to leave work because one of them is having a panic attack. I'm constantly dealing with therapists, counselors, doctors, prescriptions, and court appearances.

It sounds like a lot because it is. It sounds exhausting because it is. Some days it's an endurance race down a road filled with potholes in the middle of Silent Hill.

So yeah, helping a damaged kid isn't easy or fun. It's not something anyone should do to fill a hole in their life. It's not like a Hallmark movie where an ad executive's frozen heart is thawed by a pair of quirky kids.

All that said, I'd take the boys again without hesitation, even on their worst day. They've gone from near strangers to being the center of my life and I love them immensely.

Sorry if this is a derail, but it felt at least halfway relevant to the thread. :v:

Rockbear fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 3, 2019

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Rockbear posted:

Sorry if this is a derail, but it felt at least halfway relevant to the thread.

Don't apologize! Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I can't imagine what it is like to do what you do! It's much needed perspective!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rockbear posted:

The older boy told me a couple of weeks ago that he hated me, that he wished I wasn't in his life, that he wished he could go back to live with his abuser, that he'd rather be in juvie or a mental ward than spend another day in my house, that he'd rather get the poo poo beat out of him because at least that was real, unlike these stupid rules. He was out of control and saying every hurtful thing he could think of.

Shockingly, the behavior of children is learned from their environment, and saying "oh you did this bad thing when you were 11/12" for the next 40 years is harmful and toxic as gently caress. It's literally the development stage for emotional, mental, and physical maturity and strongly influenced by a ton of factors enough. It takes years of healthy relationships to learn how to function and behave when trying to better your life.

I'm sure a lot of these estranged parents spent a good 10-20 years constantly bringing up stuff that happened in the 10-18 age range as excuses for being lovely to their adult children. Get in to an argument about the holidays and suddenly "You're always selfish like that time at 12 you threw your presents into the front yard! You were selfish and rude then and you're a problem now!" and for some reason their adult children cut ties and go about their lives.

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

This behavior is something we're working to break them of, the youngest especially.

He'll wake up, brush his teeth, comb his hair, remember something lovely his brother did to him six years ago and get mad all over again. Suddenly I'm breaking up a 7 AM fight over a stolen candy bar from 2013.

From what I'm told, this isn't unusual with survivors of trauma. They can develop a tendency to vacuum seal experiences instead of processing them. So whenever the memory bubbles to the surface, they relive that moment as if it's happening now.

It's probably not a coincidence that a lot of the more extreme estranged parents seem to have suffered abuse themselves. These maladaptive behaviors don't come from nowhere.

If this sort of thing really takes root, you end up with a parent who throws their teenager's bedroom door open at 3 AM to scream about the carpet the kid ruined by knocking over a cup of wine when they were 2 years old.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Doesn't everyone get that? Lying in bed at night beating yourself up over stupid irrelevant poo poo that happened a week or a month or a year ago. Not even bad moments, poo poo that seemed fine at the time but you regret in hindsight. Brains are dumb, and I guess the difference is beating yourself up over it, rather than others...

On the topic of lovely relationships, my grandma is in her late 80s now, my granddad died suddenly a couple of years ago. After he died, my dad (their son) forged their signatures, went to the bank, withdrew all their savings to his own account and got the bank accounts he couldn't get into closed. My grandma managed to get most of it back, but he still ran off with £10k or so. It's not always the parents who are the problem... Although I guess he was a lovely parent himself. :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nettle Soup posted:

Doesn't everyone get that? Lying in bed at night beating yourself up over stupid irrelevant poo poo that happened a week or a month or a year ago. Not even bad moments, poo poo that seemed fine at the time but you regret in hindsight. Brains are dumb, and I guess the difference is beating yourself up over it, rather than others...

Having thoughts and feelings is normal. Throwing a tantrum is not. If you got so mad at yourself that you got out of bed and punched a hole in the wall that would be bad even if no one but you gets hurt.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

what's that? i should search for the word "foster" in this forum? OK

quote:

This is in response to mom2020’s thread on being abandoned by son.

Too busy
Sick of you being sick
hate

I’m wondering since your son is so justified and proud of his behavior, if an e mail of your thread should be sent to all his co-workers, a front page on his local newspaper, a copy to his girlfriend, a billboard rented with son’s picture on it and declaring that he abandoned his sick elderly mother, and he’s proud of it. Certainly there should be no objections, since he feels so justified.

Why not? He is evidently o. k. with his behavior, so he shouldn’t mind sharing such an important facet of his personality with those closest to him. Pull out the stops and get a megaphone and stand on the street corner telling the world how the person who gave him birth is not worthy of a kindness most people would show an animal.

I’m so tired of the excuses of they’ve had a hard life (some have), they needed some space, they were going through a lot at the time.

Who among us have not experienced all of the above while raising our children? How many of us stayed up all night doing something for our children while still having to go to two jobs the next day? Did we use being sick ourselves as an excuse to ignore and neglect? Some have raised children with medical problems that continued their whole lives. Did we declare we were tired of them being sick and walk away? Did we continually complain how much work our children were to our family, co workers, and friends. No we didn’t. We sucked it up and did it out of love, with all hope that better days were coming. If we didn’t many of these young people would have died, been sent to group homes, or tossed to one foster family after another. We, on the other hand, would possibly being doing jail time for child neglect and abuse.

On quite a continual basis I see in advise columns the complaints of adult children inconvenienced by elderly parents that need a prescription picked up or some small gesture as a visit or phone call. Many times the advise is referrals to government programs. Loving one’s mother is not the government’s responsibility.

I’ve seen reference to the fact that some of these children read here. Well I hope this young man does, because I for one would like him to know that he is a poor excuse for a human being, and when his behavior catches up with him, and it will, that as compassionate of a human being as I am, that I will watch and offer no help. I wish that I could say that one of your selfish friends or co workers or backstabbing relation will come to your rescue, but you see, they are:

too busy
too tired of you being sick and needy
not in need of anyone who requires any sacrifice to their needs
just like you

You see young man, you passed up the one person who would have done almost anything for you with no strings attached. You are the kind of person who makes the earth harder to live on. Perhaps I can offer you a govm’nt program?

To you mom2020, please accept the love and help from this web site—it is living proof that there are still kind people, and if a G program is all you’ve got, well? I will be praying for other sources available for you. I hope I live to see the day when these people are prosecuted for the atrocities they are causing, and there is a bright spotlight highlighting the shame they should be feeling.

With utmost desire for your well being,
Huh?

"if we didn't look after those kids [that we chose to have and they had no say in having us as parents] they would have ended up in foster care. therefore, they owe us"

i wonder why this lady's kids don't talk to her no more

quote:

I too was a yeller. My husband absolutely would not participate in parenting. when he did, it was such a disaster that he knew I’d never ask again.He also did not want to work more than enough to provide for a roof over our heads and food in the fridge. The rest of the time he was a piller at church. He also refused to pay $200./mo. child support for 2 children from a previous marriage because “she made more at her job than he did”. I told him this was wrong from the get go. He would tell me his ex wanted to know when I was going to work. Cute, no help raising 2 children with several mental disorders (the church did not believe in mental disorders, so no treatment, and even if so we had no health, car or life ins. Guess what hubby did for a living ? I homeschooled 2 children with learning disabilities for six yrs, had 5 volunteer jobs at church , was president of home school group, oh, and he didn’t do housework. At one point, I had to go to work 35 hrs. a week to afford school supplies, then come home and teach. They begged me to home-educate them, now they are mad because that I had no choice (they did very well with it, by the way. I enjoyed being a stay at home mom for the most part, but really had no choice as he was to irresponsible to watch the children.

My husband didn’t talk—about anything. If there was a problem—he just ignored it, which is a pet peave of mine, so I had to get louder, no answer—louder. I was frustrated for crying out loud, not that it was right, but like you said wkgmom, all they hear is the yelling, so when they became teens, the favorite saying was” All she does is yell.” It also happened to get louder when I asked for the 49th time for them to do some simple thing. Funny, I wonder if the yelling would get less if they would actually DO what I was asking. Worth a shot? By the way they are, wouldn’t you know it, “abused children”, according to their lament to anyone that will listen. But it’s odd my poor abused daughter was so happy she would walk around the house singing every chance she got. She was in so many activities that I was worn out being chauffer, another one of the nothingness activities I did. When I replied that she seemed pretty happy to me, I was told “it was all an act.” When there wasn’t enough funsies in the beudua because I was in total exhaustion, husband’s job was to complain. All in all, they turned into respectful young adults I was proud of, in spite of the fact that ALL I DID IS YELL ! I wonder if that is even physically possible? Just call me Old Yeller.
Perhaps the solution is to just to DEAL WITH IT, like the rest of the world.

screamed at your (allegedly) mentally disabled kids instead of parenting them, but that's everybody else's fault. considering this is from her own self-serving point of view, I would think the abuse was even worse
by her own admission she was interviewed multiple times by her children's social workers throughout their youth. also, not her fault

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I lived with a boyfriend in his parents house in Ohio. They were fairly wealthy and had a giant mansion-like house, and one room that was roped- off, that his crazy mother rarely let anyone allow to walk inside. She called it her princess room, and it was basically a shrine to Princess Diana. White carpet, fancy velvet couch, hundreds of Diana portraits in golden frames, dolls that looked like Diana (so many dolls), Diana memorabilia, magazine covers, books, etc etc. But best of all, a gigantic clear glass grand piano with a gigantic picture of Princess Diana's face on the top of it, with the word "FOREVER". I'll never forget that room, i'll never forget how horrible his mother was, and i'll never forget peeing in the middle of her perfectly white carpet in that creepy room before I moved away forever.

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

Nettle Soup posted:

What you're describing is processing. You are looking at it in hindsight, evaluating it, turning it over in your head, sometimes not liking what you see. You're feeling things, but they're *new* things that you're feeling about an old thing that you know is past and done.

What I'm describing is like this:

Older boy takes and eats candy bar that younger boy had in the fridge. Younger boy discovers this, but scary dad is right there, making coffee and in a foul mood. Even bringing up the candy bar could cause dad to explode.

So younger boy takes his feelings of frustration and betrayal and vacuum seals them and shoves the entire experience down into the deep darkness of his brain. It's self-preservation. He can't afford to be upset about this. It makes him unsafe.

Six years later, younger boy is getting ready for school and thinking about what snack he's gonna buy with his lunch and boop! That old memory pops to the surface. He's safe now, so his brain sees this little package and says, ok cool, we can process this now, and rips open the seal.

This isn't an aged memory being processed via internal narrative years later. This isn't a grudge. This is a time warp. As far as his feelings are concerned, older boy stole that candy bar *today*.

I won't get anywhere by saying, "that was forever ago, wtf dude." Instead I have to walk him through the processing he should have done years ago.

This is one reason why, as another poster noted earlier, a while after moving into a safe and nurturing environment, many survivor kids seem to get worse. All those delayed feelings start to kick in.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
those are emotional flashbacks pretty much, right?

THOT PATROL
Nov 16, 2017

Miss posted:

what's that? i should search for the word "foster" in this forum? OK

"if we didn't look after those kids [that we chose to have and they had no say in having us as parents] they would have ended up in foster care. therefore, they owe us"

i wonder why this lady's kids don't talk to her no more

screamed at your (allegedly) mentally disabled kids instead of parenting them, but that's everybody else's fault. considering this is from her own self-serving point of view, I would think the abuse was even worse
by her own admission she was interviewed multiple times by her children's social workers throughout their youth. also, not her fault

oof. i’ve had this lady’s profile open in a tab for awhile meaning to pull some gems & post them here. she’s really confused by the idea that, definitionally, parents do more for their children than vice versa:

quote:

As you stated yourself, when your children had needs, you didn’t stop to wonder if you had the time or desire to fulfill their needs. Who are we, subhumans who have no right to expect a basic level of return?

she also outright brags about refusing to help other abused kids:

quote:

I remember when my ec were teenagers and they would bring home “friends” that were kicked out of their homes because they “didn’t do the dishes”, or some other obviously silly story. I immediately told my children that no parent would do this over something so mundane, and immediately instructed these kids to go home and sent them on their way.

there’s a lot more but i’ll leave that to other posters for the moment

Robot Cuttlefish
Apr 6, 2016

Miss posted:

What but clearly she's a victim of circumstance, she's never made a choice in her life so what could she possibly have to take responsibility for? :suicide:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Light Gun Man posted:

That's really lovely. I don't have anything helpful to add, but drat, that really sucks.

I've come to terms with it, especially after my first marriage ended, and with the spouse I have now. Unfortunately she gets to deal with the fallout of my CPTSD from my parents, sister, and first wife. And I hate every moment of it because she doesn't deserve it. Any of it. And I forever think about how much that money could have helped us.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

THOT PATROL posted:

oof. i’ve had this lady’s profile open in a tab for awhile meaning to pull some gems & post them here. she’s really confused by the idea that, definitionally, parents do more for their children than vice versa:

she also outright brags about refusing to help other abused kids:

there’s a lot more but i’ll leave that to other posters for the moment

Big oof

The real mindfuck of those forums is, every time their posters post horrible poo poo like that, they never get called out, they only get replies patting their arses and agreeing how hard done by they are, and using the OP as a springboard to post their own tales of woe

purple death ray posted:

I like to read these people's impotent wailing on message boards and just cackle like a supervillain, this might be an unhealthy coping mechanism but I have lived enough of this life that knowing they are alone and powerless (like they made their kids feel their entire life) brings me great joy. It's like a wasp in a glass jar banging furiously against the side. Some puny measure of justice in this chaotic world

:emptyquote:

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

those are emotional flashbacks pretty much, right?

Yeah, exactly. On an emotional level, they're not remembering so much as reliving.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yup. those feel awful. like being trapped at the bottom of a well

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Miss posted:

Big oof

The real mindfuck of those forums is, every time their posters post horrible poo poo like that, they never get called out, they only get replies patting their arses and agreeing how hard done by they are, and using the OP as a springboard to post their own tales of woe

It's a big problem because internet and social media have allowed people to wall off any dissent and criticism and form super insular groups full of like minded people who just reaffirm each other they are correct and everyone else is wrong.

SA is a weird exception down to a multitude of reasons but the stuff that isn't allowed here is blatant hate, criminal activity, scamming people, and being an annoying rear end in a top hat who will always derail threads.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

This thread is a really weird Rorschach test for goons who had abusive childhoods

I’m getting a lot of triggers reading this stuff

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Truniht posted:

This thread is a really weird Rorschach test for goons who had abusive childhoods

I wouldn't call my childhood abusive, but it wasn't incredibly happy either and this thread dredges up a lot of memories.

It's an incredible emotional rollercoaster going from justified rage to sympathy to horror and back to justified rage.

Sometimes in the same post!

:sadwave: :argh: :sadwave: Prester Jane :argh: :sadwave: :argh:

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

Miss posted:

funsies in the beudua

I would rather get back into contact with my mother than see this misspelled expression or think about what it indicates ever again.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Abusive Mom posted:

Just call me Old Yeller. 

Well...we all know how things ended for Old Yeller...

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Lysistrata posted:

I would rather get back into contact with my mother than see this misspelled expression or think about what it indicates ever again.

I was quite taken by this freeform spelling of boudoir, honestly

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Truniht posted:

I’m realizing all kinds of poo poo about my life reading this thread and the links provided. The emotional incest one frightened me because it’s super accurate to my life situation. So did the letter/response by the lady who would tease/bully her kids when they were young.

:stare:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Oh, cool, a thread dedicated to my dearly departed gramma Kitty. May God rest her spiteful soul, because I sure as poo poo won’t.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

rotinaj posted:

I’m realizing all kinds of poo poo about my life reading this thread and the links provided. The emotional incest one frightened me because it’s super accurate to my life situation. So did the letter/response by the lady who would tease/bully her kids when they were young.

:stare:

Yeah, I'm having a lot of the same feelings. I haven't been posting much about it because I'm at a generation's remove and this is mostly just weird footnotes to my childhood, but I've talked to my dad a little more about his situation with his estranged biological mother, and surprise surprise, it's totally just poo poo from this thread! It ended better than a lot of these things did (apparently bio-grandma actually took "I do not want a relationship with you" for an answer), but it's so eerie to read this and connect the dots.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

quote:

Im sorry I shared my feelings and disappointment about my daughters poor treatment of us with my son (who lives across the world). I was hoping for some empathy but instead he told me to re- read my text as if my daughter was reading it and think about how she’d feel. He went on to say I was toxic and I’ve sabotaged all my relationships. “Why else won’t GD talk to you Mom?”

My initial reaction was sadness that he doesn’t understand and is quick to blame me; and then I was angry. I told him how his generation overuses the word “toxic”. Aren’t people allowed to be distraught, overwhelmed, upset anymore for fear they will be tossed aside forever for having a toxic episode. I asked him what has happened to the days where your family loved you just because you were a family member, good qualities and bad qualities you knew they loved you anyway? I told him he has no right to call me toxic when he has no idea what I’ve been through and even if I had a bitchy moment and expressed how fed up I am, it does not mean I sabotage all my relationships. He did apologize however his comments have put me back into a place of loneliness and frustration. If our own children and their children don’t love us and treat us with respect- do other people assume it’s our and we must have done something terribly wrong to make our own family members hate us so. My daughters actions have caused my family to fall apart but I am ultimately the one to blame.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

quote:

I asked him what has happened to the days where your family loved you just because you were a family member, good qualities and bad qualities you knew they loved you anyway?

Kids these days! :rolleye:

I'd say it's because people have wisened up and decided 'poo poo, I don't have to be shackled to these people just because we're ~family~'

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

quote:

Dear Fellow Estranged Parents,

I’m here to introduce myself as a brand new member and I’m very relieved I have found a “home” where I don’t feel I am so alone. For me, the estrangement slowly began 4 years ago after my son got married and began cutting his sister out of his life. However, it didn’t become obvious to me until a couple of years later. My son and I always had a very close and healthy relationship, and he had a special bond with his sister as well. Their loving relationship was the joy of my life. When he first met his bride-to-be, we all loved her – she was beautiful, friendly, and quickly endeared herself to us. When the new happy couple began cutting my daughter out of their lives, I didn’t think much of it as I figured they were merely adjusting to their new lives together.

After a few months of married life, my son and his wife moved to the other side of the state. I was never a “hover mother” and encouraged independence. So again, I really didn’t think much of it. Finally, I asked my son about his seemingly strained relationship with his sister, and he confirmed what my daughter had always suspected. He gave me no specific reason for cutting his sister out of his life, and was vague overall. During the following years, I occasionally mentioned to him that this strained relationship saddened me, but didn’t let him know how much it devastated me because I didn’t want this “issue” to destroy our relationship. So I tried not to make a big deal over it, figuring it would work itself out somehow. But there was always that “elephant in the room” whenever they came for any family get-togethers.

Several weeks ago, my son called me to say his wife recently had a miscarriage. I was devastated for them, as I knew they wanted a family. Later that day, I shared the sad news with his sister, and she asked whether she should reach out to him. I told her “that would make my heart smile.” I was hoping for a positive connection. After she reached out to him, my son called me to say that he did not appreciate me sharing this “confidential” information with her. I was completely gob smacked and could hardly speak. We usually end our phone conversations with a “goodbye, I love you” but I couldn’t even bring myself to utter those words. The phone pretty much fell out of my hands. He later texted me and said he was sorry if he hurt my feelings. Again, I didn’t even know how to respond. There was so much to say, and I knew I couldn’t express myself in a meaningful way over the phone, so I began writing down my feelings. After a few days, I finally responded to him by email that my feelings were not hurt by being confronted about an assumed understanding of confidentiality, but I was dismayed because of the REASON he didn’t want his sister to know… and that is, she is no longer considered to be a member of his family. I poured out my heart and soul to him because I wanted him to finally understand how much this is hurting me. Well, that was 5 weeks ago, and I haven’t heard a peep from him since then. His silence speaks volumes. Apparently, I’ve overstepped certain “boundaries” by challenging his decision to cut his sister out of his life. So, apparently, I guess I’m being cut out as well.

I’m living my life in a sort of limbo now, I feel my son has died – not physically, but emotionally. Like he’s been kidnapped by some insidious cult and was completely brainwashed. I’ve been completely blind sided by this, and don’t know how to move on. I’ve just ordered the book, “Done With The Crying” and I’m hoping to find some guidance and peace.

My son's wife suffers a miscarriage and they confide in me but I'm going to make it all about me andgossip share the news with his estranged sister and tell her to reach out because it would make me happy. I'm then going to send my son a long email whining about how I wasn't allowed to tell his estranged sister his personal business and how it hurt me. Once again it's all about me and my feelings and wait why am I estranged now?! What did I dooooo? Oh he must be brainwashed there's no other explanation

:bang:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

:rant:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

quote:

Im sorry I shared my feelings and disappointment about my daughters poor treatment of us with my son (who lives across the world). I was hoping for some empathy but instead he told me to re- read my text as if my daughter was reading it and think about how she’d feel. He went on to say I was toxic and I’ve sabotaged all my relationships. “Why else won’t GD talk to you Mom?”

My initial reaction was sadness that he doesn’t understand and is quick to blame me; and then I was angry. I told him how his generation overuses the word “toxic”. Aren’t people allowed to be distraught, overwhelmed, upset anymore for fear they will be tossed aside forever for having a toxic episode. I asked him what has happened to the days where your family loved you just because you were a family member, good qualities and bad qualities you knew they loved you anyway? I told him he has no right to call me toxic when he has no idea what I’ve been through and even if I had a bitchy moment and expressed how fed up I am, it does not mean I sabotage all my relationships. He did apologize however his comments have put me back into a place of loneliness and frustration. If our own children and their children don’t love us and treat us with respect- do other people assume it’s our and we must have done something terribly wrong to make our own family members hate us so. My daughters actions have caused my family to fall apart but I am ultimately the one to blame.

This one's something else. I like how any consideration of what her son said, that she should re read the text as if she were receiving it and try to put herself in her daughter's shoes is completely missing. Not only does she not consider attempting to use empathy and picture how someone else would feel (something toddlers are often capable of), she gets pissy as gently caress at him for even having the gall to suggest she might be in the wrong and in doing so obviously proves herself completely toxic.

Sorry, being family isn't a free pass to act however you want, be as pushy as you like and force yourself into relationships that people don't want. I'd definitely give my family a lot more chances than a random guy off the street but in the end they're still going in the bin if they're really loving lovely. Life's too short for that nonsense

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

LadyPictureShow posted:

Kids these days! :rolleye:

I'd say it's because people have wisened up and decided 'poo poo, I don't have to be shackled to these people just because we're ~family~'

Have to admit, some days the plausible deniability of being adopted helps.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Ebola Roulette posted:

My son's wife suffers a miscarriage and they confide in me but I'm going to make it all about me andgossip share the news with his estranged sister and tell her to reach out because it would make me happy. I'm then going to send my son a long email whining about how I wasn't allowed to tell his estranged sister his personal business and how it hurt me. Once again it's all about me and my feelings and wait why am I estranged now?! What did I dooooo? Oh he must be brainwashed there's no other explanation

I guarantee this woman knows exactly why her son cut her daughter out of his life, and doesn't care because "it's not important enough, something something family"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ebola Roulette posted:

What gets me about this one is that she makes no mention at all of how the son's relationship with his sister is rocky, which makes me think that it isn't -- that they're just not childhood-level close anymore because they're adults and he's doing his own thing. These people are so desperate to have their children never leave the subservient child mode that they interpret any attempt at independent adult life as hurtful estrangement intended to harm them.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
This article just explained to me why estranged parents talk about how they've apologized all over the place while the adult children say they've never gotten an apology (none of the things they're citing in the article is anything like an apology).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ebola Roulette posted:

well maybe her son shouldn't be a sad sack of tears, have you thought of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

There are lots of people out there who think the words "I'm sorry" are a magical incantation that means the other person has to forgive you. They say they're sorry constantly without actually meaning it, when the other person doesn't forgive them (while also admitting that they were wrong) the estranged becomes the victim because "I apologized"

Apologies are cheap.