Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

even better if you turn it into frog and just fly over

Esper fairy precon seems the best in the event - best ramp due to multiple mana rocks, best answers (lol esper) and most synergistic.
Knights can win pretty fast with a proper opening hand and the hasty slipper
Jund depends on drawing mayhem devil fast

But I am still most excited to build Parun Niv-Mizzy and 5C one when Brawl opens up for real.

I think I lost once total with the jund deck, and I didn't even know Krenko or Mayhem Devil were even in the deck lmao. The guy who makes food when he attacks showed up every game on curve tho, total MVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Random question, how are you supposed to stop in your declare attackers step to do something before your opponent blocks? Full control didn't seem to do it.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
My opponent had a great plan against my Re-animator deck, "he can't steal my permanents if I don't play any!" but he still lost... Seriously though I don't know what he was doing. He auto-passed every turn and sat on the End Turn button until it timed out and forced him to discard...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

Random question, how are you supposed to stop in your declare attackers step to do something before your opponent blocks? Full control didn't seem to do it.

once you enter combat the phase timer/map thing in the bottom right opens up, click the sword to set a stop in declare attackers.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Jabor posted:

hitting control worked for me vs sparky

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So if ya don't know yet, now when you make a deck from scratch it lets you choose "constructed," "trad. constructed" and "singleton". Aside from amking me wonder if that's a hint that they are adding permanent singleton format, what's it for.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They 100% already said they were doing that

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

zoux posted:

So if ya don't know yet, now when you make a deck from scratch it lets you choose "constructed," "trad. constructed" and "singleton". Aside from amking me wonder if that's a hint that they are adding permanent singleton format, what's it for.

Brawl is a singleton format and (I think) is being added with Eldraine.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The most recent update says "hopefully in the october update" so it probably doesn't launch this month

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Thats been in mtga for a while now. A good filter for the deck page, but if you dont choose singleton when you make the deck it be categorized as one.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I went 6-1 in the Brawl event with Faeries, only match I lost was to the mirror with my opponent on the play.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Brawl is a singleton format and (I think) is being added with Eldraine.

Spiderdrake posted:

The most recent update says "hopefully in the october update" so it probably doesn't launch this month

I knew that but a Brawl deck is going to be different from a singleton deck right?

I'm kind of surprised they're adding in a permanent singleton format since a singleton deck can be way cheaper than a standard deck and lends itself to the "just toss in any old single good cards you opened by chance" situation a lot of Arena people are in. I know Brawl isn't EDH, but there are people that only play Commander in paper right? So, offering a cheaper and, for many, more popular format permanently into the game seems bad for revenue.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

just because it exists as a deck type doesn't mean there will necessarily be a singleton queue.

you've been able to designate a deck as singleton for months now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I haven't fussed around with potential brawl decks but I feel like singleton formats tend to use a lot of rares

So in the arena world where rares are just rares it may not be a big cost difference

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
All of the odd event formats have been available in the deck builder ahead of the event. Standard Shakeup and Ravnica Block were both options, and might still be.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I haven't fussed around with potential brawl decks but I feel like singleton formats tend to use a lot of rares

So in the arena world where rares are just rares it may not be a big cost difference

They don't use 4 of a rare, so you don't have to go in as hard on crafting a card that the meta might evolve out of. Though I guess the the chance of opening four of one specific card is probably the same as opening one copy of four specific cards.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jabor posted:

It should. You should get a button to click that says "To Blocks", that's your stop in the declare attackers phase.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

even better if you turn it into frog and just fly over

Esper fairy precon seems the best in the event - best ramp due to multiple mana rocks, best answers (lol esper) and most synergistic.
Knights can win pretty fast with a proper opening hand and the hasty slipper
Jund depends on drawing mayhem devil fast

But I am still most excited to build Parun Niv-Mizzy and 5C one when Brawl opens up for real.

I don't know, I'd say that the Bant and Esper are tied, Bant has crazy ramp and can get a nut draw and just go off, but Esper has Kaya's Wrath, good fliers, and some of its own ramp and crazy burst damage. Jund is probably a bit below the two, but still a solid deck. Mardu knights sucks hard. Overall, I really like this event and the last pre-con event too. I just wish that the decks weren't so lop-sided with their bombs and removal. Just putting bombs in, outside of the commanders obviously, is problematic.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Knights is the best because you just need to put some gear on a dude and attack and not give a poo poo about fancy tricks.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I can't understand why everyone is so teched against temur rec, a deck that died like 3 sets ago. Every deck just sides in 4 teferi 4 cerulean drake and its making it really really hard for my jank to work. It already loses to mono red, I just wanted to play it against scapeshift but I've literally never seen that matchup

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A Moose posted:

I can't understand why everyone is so teched against temur rec, a deck that died like 3 sets ago. Every deck just sides in 4 teferi 4 cerulean drake and its making it really really hard for my jank to work. It already loses to mono red, I just wanted to play it against scapeshift but I've literally never seen that matchup

Nobody is running those cards to tech against your deck, dude.

4 Teferi is maindeck because he's just generally good, and 4 Drake is on the side to tech against red decks. The fact that they both happen to be really good against your deck just means that your deck is not positioned well in the meta.

And if you don't like seeing those cards played against you, I'm not sure why you really want to play it against Scapeshift!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Has Ferocidon shut down Scapeshift already? I haven't played much in the last few days.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

There isn't really a meta right now. Nobody's playing esper, but nobodys playing scapeshift anymore either and there isn't 1 deck that took out either of those decks. MTGGoldfish is confused and is saying golgari Citadel is tier 1 or 2. Play whatever and get blown out by sideboard cards I guess.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
If I had to guess at a meta I'd say that it's some variant of simic-nexus combined with elementals or field of the dead and then there's vampires and esper control decks too. It's pretty chaotic.

edit: and Kethis combo

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 6, 2019

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why was Rampaging Ferocidon banned anyway?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DrSunshine posted:

Why was Rampaging Ferocidon banned anyway?

Mono-red was very very good in Kaladesh-Ixalan Standard, so good that a bunch of cards from it needed to be banned.

After rotation, it was just inertia keeping it on there.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Every deck is the Teferi Sarkahn deck I'm pretty sure. I haven't seen actual Scapeshift in weeks.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I didn't make the connection earlier that artifacts with food subtype implies artifact creatures with the food subtype.

Meaning those gingerbread people will be hunted down by Savvy Hunter and eaten for cards, that's just amazing.

I think this means mirror entity can turn your entire board into food and savvy hunter can... gross.

Jabor posted:

Mono-red was very very good in Kaladesh-Ixalan Standard, so good that a bunch of cards from it needed to be banned.

I still find it funny people imagine energy would dominate historic when ramunap red + this standard's best cards looks pretty loving bonkers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Spiderdrake posted:

I think this means mirror entity can turn your entire board into food and savvy hunter can... gross.

No, because Mirror Entity doesn't give things artifact subtypes. It doesn't make them Equipment either, for example.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jabor posted:

No, because Mirror Entity doesn't give things artifact subtypes. It doesn't make them Equipment either, for example.
The point was there will be gingerbread people with the food subtype. Apparently.

Unless they're splitting it off from the type line that would make it a creature subtype as well.

Then again adventure is kind of a lovely implementation as explained so maybe it won't.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Spiderdrake posted:

The point was there will be gingerbread people with the food subtype. Apparently.

Unless they're splitting it off from the type line that would make it a creature subtype as well.

No, that's not how it works. Forest is not a creature subtype even though Dryad Arbor exists.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jabor posted:

After rotation, it was just inertia keeping it on there.

Not just inertia. They called out Ferocidon in the ban announcement for being too good against go-wide decks, which traditionally are a counter to the red aggro decks. Selesnya in particular would have been dead on arrival if Ferocidon had been legal when Guilds was released.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jabor posted:

No, that's not how it works. Forest is not a creature subtype even though Dryad Arbor exists.
That is a good example. I've never played arbor in all my years of magic so I forgot the type line does have the forest subtype in the same sense.

Splitting the subtypes like that without denoting it in any way seems pretty loose, but like I said, adventure is a bit soft too. I guess they'll probably be like, food golems or something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I love these presconstructed even things. It's like playing Duels of the Planeswalkers again!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Jesus Christ, I know no one likes the 2:1 in historic but the Arena Reddit will. Not. Shut. Up. About. It.

Every single post there is more and more wailing and gnashing of teeth. The 2:1 is dumb and needlessly handicaps historic but they're acting like wotc personally shot their dog and they're all screaming about how they need to organize other groups about the greatest injustice: more predatory than usual monetization in a card game with gambling at it's core. It's so childish.

Are there any good, non-insane discussion venues other than this thread?

And yes :ironicat: because I had a meltdown about the initial format of the mastery pass.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 6, 2019

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Okay, this set loving owns. I gave my animated sword a mace.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

axeil posted:

Jesus Christ, I know no one likes the 2:1 in historic but the Arena Reddit will. Not. Shut. Up. About. It.

Every single post there is more and more wailing and gnashing of teeth. The 2:1 is dumb and needlessly handicaps historic but they're acting like wotc personally shot their dog and they're all screaming about how they need to organize other groups about the greatest injustice: more predatory than usual monetization in a card game with gambling at it's core. It's so childish.

And yes :ironicat: because I had a meltdown about the initial format of the mastery pass.

I'm glad they are going berserk.

We shouldn't have to do this dance with every new feature. Wizards knew this wouldn't be accepted, but they start ridiculously high as if we were in a high-stakes negotiation. It's obnoxious to finally have a good digital project that can only be maintained through constant protest.

Magic players are the worst, but they are the customers Wizards deserves.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm glad they are going berserk.

We shouldn't have to do this dance with every new feature. Wizards knew this wouldn't be accepted, but they start ridiculously high as if we were in a high-stakes negotiation. It's obnoxious to finally have a good digital project that can only be maintained through constant protest.

Magic players are the worst, but they are the customers Wizards deserves.

Honestly I don't know why they didn't just say they're gonna add one set at a time going backwards and make this a new format in paper too since Modern is now enormous and has something like over half the cards ever printed as legal.

Plus they could then keep going and once they're done finally shut down MTGO. Shutting down MTGO doesn't even have to be that bad or painful if they just say "your collection will port to Arena"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

axeil posted:

Reddit does all the heavy lifting on yelling about dumb features for me so it's all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

Honestly I don't know why they didn't just say they're gonna add one set at a time going backwards and make this a new format in paper too since Modern is now enormous and has something like over half the cards ever printed as legal.
Modern is their current halo product that makes standard look like a reasonable value proposition so unless the new $25 packs kill the sales of $7 packs the format that supports $7 packs is going to last quite a while.

And historic is innately a clusterfuck. Rotations and cards becoming useless piss people off. Which happens as formats grow regardless of the rotation, but the rotation brings it into focus. Players accidentally buying rotated cards pisses people off. Players buying 20 WC decks that allow them to grind forever on the historic ladder pisses the devs off. Adding new cards using the same methodology is way too hard on most f2pers. You can acquire most/all of the current releases as f2p, right now, but a second set of sets would break that in half.

I think they're back to the drawing board on it but reddit isn't going to be pleased with whatever they come up with. People still bitch about the mastery pass which was actually a huge boon to f2pers!

Well and apparently the cat lags the poo poo out of people with computers that must be like, I have no idea how old.