Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

sexpig by night posted:

Like, handwringing about someone in 'boy mode' and agreeing that there's a 'corruption' of gender

"Corruption" wasn't in those tweets, so I'm not sure why it's in quotes next to the thing that was actually said. You don't have to exaggerate things to make your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheMaestroso posted:

"Corruption" wasn't in those tweets, so I'm not sure why it's in quotes next to the thing that was actually said. You don't have to exaggerate things to make your point.

talking about gender going from some objective thing to conceptual and emotional relations is like 'they're destroying gender' 101 dude.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
This poo poo’s so loving arcane, no wonder its proponents are all anime avis.

I’m trying to do the mental gymnastics to learn how this poo poo goes from “I will be discussing this in a video” to “I despise the enby community and they all need to get surgery now” and well it looks like I’m not getting a gold medal in this particular contest

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 6, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

I’m trying to do the mental gymnastics to learn how this poo poo goes from “I will be discussing this in a video” to “I despise the enby community and they all need to get surgery now” and well it looks like I’m not getting a gold medal in this particular contest

mate at this point youre somewhat telling on yourself

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.

A big flaming stink posted:

don't fall off the horse during your vitally important moral crusade, poo poo seems pretty high

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If your contribution is just quoting someone with a snarky one-liner, then you’re part of the problem. At least try to have a conversation instead of further making GBS threads up the thread, jesus christ.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

You know, all the posts I made saying I was a trans woman should really make you think calling me “mate” is a bad idea but oh well

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't exactly want to get involved but I thought the general point of the "Aesthetic" video was Tabby telling the Contra character to stop trying to change her style and presentation into something that she wasn't? Like that was the video where Tabby was way more than being a typical SMASH THE FASH lefty stereotype that she'd kinda been other times.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 6, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

You know, all the posts I made saying I was a trans woman should really make you think calling me “mate” is a bad idea but oh well

i apologize, my impression was that mate was gender neutral. i sincerely had no intention to misgender you

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

i apologize, my impression was that mate was gender neutral. i sincerely had no intention to misgender you

It’s fine, but to my understanding, it’s traditionally only used to refer to male friends.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

I don't exactly want to get involved but I thought the general point of the "Aesthetic" video was Tabby telling the Contra character to stop trying to change her style and presentation into something that she wasn't? Like that was the video where Tabby was way more than being a typical SMASH THE FASH lefty stereotype that she'd kinda been other times.
More that Justine(?) was only presenting the way she did to appease cis people and be accepted as a woman on their terms. Cause that’s pretty much what Justine was telling Tabby to do.

Natalie’s videos tend to have an issue of having two characters debate, and the point is to show the conflict and lack of easy answers for some issues. Buuuut, one character is depicted more as a strawman and the other is just “normal” for lack of a better word. Which maybe that’s point in a video called “aesthetics”, but when you constantly portray a character as a left-wing weirdo it’s hard to suddenly say “oh wait no take both of these characters seriously.”

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

It’s fine, but to my understanding, it’s traditionally only used to refer to male friends.
As an aside, my favorite is when people don’t just cop to it and move on, but frantically make an excuse. Like one guy and the “gender neutral sir.”

(And yes, I know sir is neutral in the military, but given recent policy changes I’d steer loving clear of that technicality)

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
So that joke about Contrapoints having a quantum twitter feed that said different things to different people, seems kind of true. The LeftTube thread had a good post about it that helped me understand why her language was striking such a nerve. I feel weird just dropping somebody's whole big effortpost into this thread, so I guess I'll just quote link it.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

I've "defended" The Aesthetic in this thread, and I end up defending Contrapoints in a particular trans discord often enough that I'm constantly on edge that I'm going to be kicked for it. Many of her critics are coming from a place of real pain, and this experience has led them to a hyper-vigilance that leads to them reading implications into her writing that aren't necessarily there. But in this latest drama she has definitively hosed up in a way that cis people specifically are extremely unlikely to understand, and she's probably going to continue to gently caress up by never owning it and apologizing.

Kim Justice posted:

From what I've heard people were really mad that Natalie made Tabby learning to walk in heels the climax of that video. She tweeted about it and explained that it was a mixed metaphor about her trying to bridge her own gap to Tabby. Noting that it was a little weird that a character she made as a caricature of the left became genuinely popular, and that even she had turned around and now liked Tabby. And Natalie said she wished somebody had taught her to walk in heels, so she taught Tabby to walk in heels in the video, as a bridge that was meant to show the range of transpeople, the grind between them but need to work together, etc., but I see how it didn't necessarily read as that.

She deleted the whole big thread not long after, because people pulled out a single tweet saying something like "yes, I know I didn't acknowledge NBs" and spammed it everywhere out of the larger context to try and get people worked up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SunAndSpring posted:

In Australia it started as that and has evolved to be used more broadly, although I've seen people say they don't think it's really gender neutral as yet.

It's also good for when you don't know someone's name or you want to insult them.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

noted, I will continue my search for gender neutral terms to deliver sick burnz with

(seriously why the hell is yall the only thing in english????)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Broke: gender neutral "dude"
Joke: gender neutral "mate"
Woke: gender neutral "hoss"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not to stop your conversation but for anyone else who's eyes have been glazing over reading this roundabout debate, here's a video Ralph made about a Hillary Duff horror movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwh_TWqegg

Or how about a Raycevick video on F1 games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgimSolzsN0

I honestly don't know what I could add to the ongoing contrapoints discussion, so I'm spitballing videos here for anyone else who feels the same way. Feel free to pillory me for trying to shut down debate because I don't want to get involved.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 6, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
As a cis-white male, I think...

That I don't know a lot of stuff about Trans experiences but I want everyone to find some way to be who they are.

There, that's my hot take.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

From what I've heard people were really mad that Natalie made Tabby learning to walk in heels the climax of that video. She tweeted about it and explained that it was a mixed metaphor about her trying to bridge her own gap to Tabby. Noting that it was a little weird that a character she made as a caricature of the left became genuinely popular, and that even she had turned around and now liked Tabby. And Natalie said she wished somebody had taught her to walk in heels, so she taught Tabby to walk in heels in the video, as a bridge that was meant to show the range of transpeople, the grind between them but need to work together, etc., but I see how it didn't necessarily read as that.

She deleted the whole big thread not long after, because people pulled out a single tweet saying something like "yes, I know I didn't acknowledge NBs" and spammed it everywhere out of the larger context to try and get people worked up.

I just thought that bit was something funny to lighten up the video's general mood...is that too boring a reading? Like sometimes a funny bit is just a funny bit surely and it doesn't have to be some attack on a group...

I mean, I think people are pushing a little by calling Natalie truscum. Like, yes she does screw up, she's certainly screwed up here, and yes those screw ups can be frustrating but that label is often reserved more for people like Blaire who tend to do way more damage not just to NB people, but pretty much anyone who doesn't fit their tiny ideal of what a trans person should be. The sort who would actively misgender other trans people just because they're "not doing it right" (or more accurately "don't agree with my opnions", like when Blaire constantly used to misgender Riley Dennis).

Not that I know some sort of solution to all this or anything. The trans community is understandably quite fragile, things blow up big and often. It's probably good to get the hell away from Twitter for a spell in any case and come back with a clearer and hopefully, more understanding head (this can apply to many people. Or just use it to shitpost and DM friends. Who the gently caress would ever use it for some sort of deep discussion, I don't know, that's ridiculous behaviour. There's memes to post).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah not gonna lie, as someone stuck waiitng for a 2 year long waitlist for a first appointment (of 3 before they will consider giving me hormones) on the NHS who is in her 20s . implying I'm not trying hard enough to deserve being called a woman is pretty garbage.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Since it got passed over a bit when it was first linked, I'd give another shoutout to the new Best of the Worst. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2IV0BajqAk

They cover not only a Neil Breen movie, but a Miami Connection style crazy karate movie and an incredibly weird murder mystery.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Yeah not gonna lie, as someone stuck waiitng for a 2 year long waitlist for a first appointment (of 3 before they will consider giving me hormones) on the NHS who is in her 20s . implying I'm not trying hard enough to deserve being called a woman is pretty garbage.

Not only that but she's claiming your existence (and mine as well!) puts her in danger.

It's disgusting and the people defending her should take a step back and ask themselves if this is the hill they wish to die on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Im trying to do the mental gymnastics to divine what someone liking cartoons made by japanese people has to do with anything considering youve brought it up in literally every post about this

And the point is that she responded to someone saying 'gender isnt an internal feeling and the thought that it is is incoherent gibberish' with 'youre right!!!'

Like you got mad about someone calling you mate but contrapoints literally says, in that tweet, that if you dont pass as a woman than its totally fine to misgender you. Not in a 'you should understand that some people will make that mistake/youll have to tell them' or 'it probably wont work on a lot of cis people' but literally 'the transwomen ive met who have told me that theyre transwomen arent valid because they werent passing at the time.'

That isnt arcane bullshit thats really, really straightforward.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Stormgale posted:

:same:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Since it got passed over a bit when it was first linked, I'd give another shoutout to the new Best of the Worst. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2IV0BajqAk

They cover not only a Neil Breen movie, but a Miami Connection style crazy karate movie and an incredibly weird murder mystery.

The Canadians are in this one, its worth watching.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Banjo-Kazooie came out the other day for Smash Ultimate, and so did Sans. Alpharad did a video. It's pretty great. GA-HYUK! GA-HYUK! GA-HYUK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-OWxFKCVL8&hd=1

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Leal posted:

The Canadians are in this one, its worth watching.

Every RLM vid is worth watching, unless it's pre-rec but those don't count.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

Every RLM vid is worth watching, unless it's pre-rec but those don't count.

Spicy response: except for mr plinket ones

safe response: not the one with max landis

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

So that joke about Contrapoints having a quantum twitter feed that said different things to different people, seems kind of true. The LeftTube thread had a good post about it that helped me understand why her language was striking such a nerve. I feel weird just dropping somebody's whole big effortpost into this thread, so I guess I'll just quote link it.

Hey thanks for this, I literally never would have seen this post otherwise since I did not know there was a lefttube thread!

I won't be following it though because I'm assuming it's this thread but instead of red letter media takes they have peter coffin takes.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/BlerdsOnline/status/1169761389155688448?s=19

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Kinda feel like the whole "heated gamer moment/gamer words" joke has backfired and has kinda normalised that these sociopathic shitheads will never ever face anything but mild controversy for spewing every slur under the sun at an impressionable, mostly tween audience.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, they make it sound so nice! Like he just had an oopsie!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

They're not going to do poo poo, just like most/all social media platforms they don't actually enforce their rules if you're a popular streamer. I'm sure it'll be a Dr. Disrespect situation where they get like a 3 day ban. Also getting "heated" during Minecraft is just :lol:.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Disrespect actually got a 2 week Twitch ban, which in theory cost him a big chunk of ad/sub revenue.

except his fans showered him with money when he returned so he probably ended up turning a profit from being banned lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Kinda feel like the whole "heated gamer moment/gamer words" joke has backfired and has kinda normalised that these sociopathic shitheads will never ever face anything but mild controversy for spewing every slur under the sun at an impressionable, mostly tween audience.
It wasn’t a joke. That was Pewdiepie’s actual excuse when he dropped the n word on stream.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

It wasn’t a joke. That was Pewdiepie’s actual excuse when he dropped the n word on stream.
I think they're talking about how the article minimized the gravity of what he said.

On the topic of "heated gamer moment": I'm not one of those "irony = sincerity" people because that's a stupid theory that some of the most humorless people online believe in, but I do think that things that start out as jokes tend to not stay that way, either because of a "stare into the abyss" phenomenon or because they actually are said/done for real.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

I believe the actual source is noted wrong man ian Miles Cheong

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And yet no twitch streamers use the real N-word: Knowledge.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Invictus posted:

Banjo-Kazooie came out the other day for Smash Ultimate, and so did Sans. Alpharad did a video. It's pretty great. GA-HYUK! GA-HYUK! GA-HYUK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-OWxFKCVL8&hd=1

gently caress how did I never find this source of Good Smash poo poo that wasn't a boring clinical analysis type? This is seriously the first Smash player I've seen who actually can do real analysis of how someone plays (like the breakdown of Banjo's 'funny' air move being a thing but not good enough and all) but also, ya know, make a funny video about this stupid game where Banjo punches Sans Undertale.

"We M.U.G.E.N. now!"

Are there any other good smash youtubers like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

And yet no twitch streamers use the real N-word: Knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GIwTG8V-Ko