Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That ref in the Horn fight was either incompetent or corrupt. He let Horn take an unnecessary and extended beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Reminder that taking the title off Jeff Horn made Crawford not only the number 1 welterweight, but p4p number 1, apparently.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

Reminder that taking the title off Jeff Horn made Crawford not only the number 1 welterweight, but p4p number 1, apparently.

Generally speaking welterweights have trouble at middleweight. Bud was already number 1.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Horn's trainer Glen Rushton was on the ring apron too so it seems like they were going to stop it after the first knockdown-and usually would in most circumstances in the US and UK-but who knows what the gently caress they do in Australia.

And speaking of people who are ill-equipped for head trauma

https://twitter.com/MatchroomBoxing/status/1168925888865538049?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think KSI vs Logan Paul is good actually, I will not be explaining this opinion further.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
KSI v Logan Paul is probably the first fight since Fury-Chisora where I hope they both get brutally knocked out

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't know anything about KSI and I think I'll keep it that way so I can continue to root for him against Paul.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
to be fair I only find KSI mildly annoying whereas Paul is an absolute disgrace of a human being

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hope that fight is like Bowe-Holyfield II but with a nuke instead of a parachute guy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What's their weight difference again?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kimbo305 posted:

What's their weight difference again?

i was going to say 'there won't be one because it's a sanctioned professional bout' and then i remembered that time salido rocked up as a welterweight to a featherweight fight and punched loma in the balls until he was declared the winner.

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think KSI vs Logan Paul is good actually, I will not be explaining this opinion further.

Apparently, Billy Joe Saunders will be on the undercard. Let that sink in..

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Garlic Wraith posted:

if i were billy joe i would have near on sucked a dick for the privilege of being on the undercard. the performance of joe's career humiliating lemieux was seen by 775k people and the live numbers for the two amateur dickheads was 2.25 million. the fight has 70million views on youtube.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Garlic Wraith posted:

Haney too. It’s a good card.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I don’t really know who KSI or Logan Paul are but I read a little about Logan Paul and I hope he gets his head knocked off.

Will I ruin my fandom of KSI if I do similar research?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Garlic Wraith posted:

About as much respect as a Billy Joe WBO title defence deserves

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

colachute posted:

I don’t really know who KSI or Logan Paul are but I read a little about Logan Paul and I hope he gets his head knocked off.

Will I ruin my fandom of KSI if I do similar research?

They are both annoying pricks tbh. They've got no headguards this time and if you watch the last rounds, Logan's reach and jab is going to have him.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Frampton vs. Dogboe on November 30th. Dogboe's moving up to 126.

Seems...sort of ambitious on Dogboe's part after the stomping he took against Navarrete.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Canelo-Kovalev is happening for real folks.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Canelo-Kovalev is happening for real folks.

Really good move by canelo. Kovalev is shot, but not so much so that he's an absolute bum. This will do a lot for canelo's legacy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What even really happened with Kovalev? I'm not even joking, it really seems like just a few months ago, he was an unstoppable monster, and now we're all talking like he's in the twilight of his career.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It was a while before that when perception changed I think. He reacted very badly to both Ward losses, at some point he was driving recklessly (denies drinking while doing this but that’s the rumour) and crashed his car quite badly.

Since then there have been consistent rumours that he’s been drinking, while he’s also gotten involved in at least two legal incidents where he’s acted somewhat erratically.

This stuff outside the ring combined with his knockout loss to Eleider Alvarez and consistent difficulty at taking body shots has made him look vulnerable.

That said, he avenged that loss perfectly and just dominated Yarde save for one spot of trouble that he overcame, so he’s not exactly falling to pieces.

It’s a tricky matchup, Canelo is a beautiful boxer and is great at landing body shots, but Kovalev is still two divisions up, hits hard and boxes very well when things are going his way.

Kovalev is 4-1 underdog in this fight by the oddsmakers, and you can’t help feel he’s getting underrated.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

hexwren posted:

What even really happened with Kovalev? I'm not even joking, it really seems like just a few months ago, he was an unstoppable monster, and now we're all talking like he's in the twilight of his career.

He got cheated in the ward fights. He started drinking. We all started drinking. These things happen

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Kovalev is one of those guys who bought into his own hype, and has never recovered from his own self-image shattering. I wasn't convinced of this at the time, but on reflection I think Ward really broke him mentally. Since that second fight especially he seems like a fighter just going through the motions, rather than a p4p guy trying to reassert himself.

The only real advantage he has on Canelo will be size, and he has a glaring weakness to body shots that Canelo will happily exploit. I wasn't too impressed with his showing against Yarde, and to be honest I think the Kovalev that showed up in that fight was low-energy and would have lost badly to Canelo.

I was apprehensive of Canelo's team wanting to step up against Kovalev but I think the time is right for it to happen. It's not a 4-1 odds fight imo unless they foist a catchweight onto Kovalev, but I do think it's a fight that Canelo should be favored to win even at a full 175.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

but Kovalev is still two divisions up,

What's a reasonable weight difference on fight night, 15 lbs?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Agree with much of what has been said RE: Canelo-Kovalev but just waiting for it to be a fine deal as I have been led astray by many a Mike Coppinger tweet before.

Speaking of being led places, women's boxing may be getting some new blood soon

https://twitter.com/grosenstein/status/1171463772373843969?s=19

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

10/10 for Joshua saying "just watch me on TV if you're gay so Saudi Arabia doesn't kill you"

talksport.com/sport/boxing/598881/anthony-joshua-saudi-arabia-human-rights-andy-ruiz-jr

Hope the roided prick gets knocked out nice and easy again

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

The Ninth Layer posted:

The only real advantage he has on Canelo will be size, and he has a glaring weakness to body shots that Canelo will happily exploit. I wasn't too impressed with his showing against Yarde, and to be honest I think the Kovalev that showed up in that fight was low-energy and would have lost badly to Canelo.

Kov has one of the best jabs in boxing right now and it can definitely pose a problem.

Definitely curious if there will be a rehydration clause for Kov.

Garlic Wraith fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 11, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/DAZN_USA/status/1172555712284807173?s=19

Finally official. Full 175 limit per Coppinger

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'd honestly be surprised is Canelo actually knocks Kovalev out to the body like some people are predicting. I imagine the fight ends in a decision.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like how Canelo looks bigger beacaue he's wider; they must be the same height because they both just barely come up to the bottom of the letters.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nice shade thrown at GGG there

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well that's one way to duck an opponent:

https://twitter.com/BoxingInsider/status/1172615791444942849

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

colachute posted:

Nice shade thrown at GGG there

If Kovalev were to win it would be cool to see him against GGG and we could finally see if those old Abel Sanchez sparring stories were true.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's honestly a really strong fight with DAZN, I probably would have bought it on PPV so at least this year I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of that $100/year deal with them.

Fury vs Wallin on ESPN+ tonight, prelims start at 7:30pm et. Wallin is a +1200 favorite to win which is tighter than the odds they were giving Ruiz, Fury is a -3500 if you're sitting on a couple grand and want to make a quick $100. I don't know anything about Wallin and I'm expecting another short night, but I'll be in discord anyway to watch.

Wilder still has the Ortiz rematch to get through on November 23rd, a considerably tougher fight than the one Fury has tonight, and Wilder himself has been making comments that make it sound like the Wilder-Fury 2 deal isn't as secure as was presented earlier. If all goes according to plan though then they're set to fight on Feb 22nd. I'm aiming to see that one live, so I've been watching out for any news about the venue which will likely be either Vegas or the Barclays in NYC.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Haney looked really good again yesterday, but he’s clearly on a different level than the competition he’s been facing. It’s going to be interesting who he fights next, but they teased a November date.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

mike- posted:

Haney looked really good again yesterday, but he’s clearly on a different level than the competition he’s been facing. It’s going to be interesting who he fights next, but they teased a November date.

They're probably going to put him the undercard to KSI vs Logan Paul

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If Ryan Garcia could get on that card it would be great for his brand

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Fury is in trouble here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008