Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The 2:1 is way worse than any of the problems the mastery pass had. It's total loving horseshit. That said, I'm currently spending all my gold/wildcards on ix/dom packs and rares because it looks like they're deadset on making it a more 'expensive' format for whatever dumbfuck reasons they've internally invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Personally my theory is that they're just doing to pre-emptively stifle cries of "Why should I have to pay full price for cards that I can't play in standard? They should be 0.5 wildcards!" by setting the bar unreasonably high only so they can lower it and look good while ending up at the spot they wanted all along. They've done this in the past and it's pretty manipulative. Personally I don't mind paying full wildcard price for historic cards (and even a premium on reprints of older modern staples if it comes to that), but I don't like the path they seem to have chosen to get there.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just unlocked the winged cat!...how do I turn off his wings?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Spiderdrake posted:

Players buying 20 WC decks that allow them to grind forever on the historic ladder pisses the devs off.

Yes that's the main issue here. They need Historic to be more expensive to discourage people from playing the format, so that more people continue to play Standard and buy Standard packs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Why was Rampaging Ferocidon banned anyway?

Rampaging Ferocidon was banned because of Hazoret being too good

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

axeil posted:

Plus they could then keep going and once they're done finally shut down MTGO. Shutting down MTGO doesn't even have to be that bad or painful if they just say "your collection will port to Arena"

lol that is an extremely optimistic take. You can cash out of mtgo but not out of arena. It would be an absolute shitstorm

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

axeil posted:

Honestly I don't know why they didn't just say they're gonna add one set at a time going backwards and make this a new format in paper too since Modern is now enormous and has something like over half the cards ever printed as legal.

I actually believe them when they say that adding complete old sets is a waste of time and effort for their team considering the amount of cards from those sets that actually get played.

I don’t think they’ve hit upon a good solution to fix that but knowing how wizards finds and staffs their digital products it makes sense.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Jarvisi posted:

I just unlocked the winged cat!...how do I turn off his wings?

Profile page - you will find a "Pet Selection" ...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
They need to put something into match making that accounts for play speed. Playing against a slow player after slow player kills my desire to play this game.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

They need to put something into match making that accounts for play speed. Playing against a slow player after slow player kills my desire to play this game.

I encountered my first honest to god roper last night. They were playing Jund Dinos and after I was able to clear their Ferocidon they refused to make any plays or blocks and kept on emoting "Nice" at me.

I debated reporting it but ended up not doing it because there's no evidence WOTC does anything about horrible bad manner.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I actually believe them when they say that adding complete old sets is a waste of time and effort for their team considering the amount of cards from those sets that actually get played.

I don’t think they’ve hit upon a good solution to fix that but knowing how wizards finds and staffs their digital products it makes sense.

The real value of Historic will be if standard gets jacked up at some point, there will be another constructed format people can flee to to make the game not-dead. The real problem is the pace of releases just making fitting an whole new set in a real pain.

I suspect the drip feed will be the way forward unless there is a real lull in releases and they aren't using so much dev time on upgrading the game itself (friend lists etc.)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm maybe a little quick to concede sometimes but if the game is clearly going against me (Mana drought, creature drought) I just dip out. Free win for other person, new game for me

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

axeil posted:

I encountered my first honest to god roper last night. They were playing Jund Dinos and after I was able to clear their Ferocidon they refused to make any plays or blocks and kept on emoting "Nice" at me.

I debated reporting it but ended up not doing it because there's no evidence WOTC does anything about horrible bad manner.

I've run into several of those since I like to play control. I report cause I have two monitors so I can do something while waiting for my opponent's dialup brain to figure out what they want to do.

Pretty sure wizards isn't going to do anything about it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Every six months take the top 8 of every modern and legacy GP and put every unique card into Historic and have a little tag on the card's flavour text saying which player piloted the card into the format.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Give me Bolt, god's perfect Magic card.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the days of early beta, when we first learned that we would be forbidden from turning our cards into Dust to craft new cards with, we were afraid. But Wizards assured us that keeping cards forever was an important part of the game. We would want Collections, they Promised. We asked, what about rotation? They didn't have an answer. Instead, they wiped their slate clean and declared it was time for Open Beta, buying themselves a year to think.

And now that year is over and we finally have their answer to the question of rotation: Historic. Yes, we said. A place to play with our entire Collections. The Collections you said we must have. So how will it work?

It will be more expensive, they said. To discourage you from playing it over Standard, they said. But what about our Collections, we cried? Where shall we use them if no one can afford Historic?

And Wizards was silent, because they knew they were breaking their Promise. Hoping we would not remember that they Promised our cards would hold Value and we would not want to turn them to Dust. Hoping we would not realize that this means that the New Cards they are offering us are ultimately worthless as well. Hoping we would not notice that Arena as a whole is worth nothing without the Promise of a need for Collections. Hoping that the new format will die a quiet death in its cradle, smothered by the weight of its costs, and with no one to mourn it.

Wizards, stop this. You cannot teach us the meaning of Value in your game and then fool us into believing that our cards will hold Value with nowhere to play them.

If you won't give us Dust, give us a Living Format. One that people can play not just today, but that can attract new followers in two years or five years or twenty. One with sustainable costs and a thriving playerbase.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I'm maybe a little quick to concede sometimes but if the game is clearly going against me (Mana drought, creature drought) I just dip out. Free win for other person, new game for me

Yeah if I'm on the ladder I tend to play things out until it's utterly hopeless but if it's in a format where losses don't matter I'll concede once it's clear I'm substantially behind.

zoux posted:

In the days of early beta, when we first learned that we would be forbidden from turning our cards into Dust to craft new cards with, we were afraid. But Wizards assured us that keeping cards forever was an important part of the game. We would want Collections, they Promised. We asked, what about rotation? They didn't have an answer. Instead, they wiped their slate clean and declared it was time for Open Beta, buying themselves a year to think.

And now that year is over and we finally have their answer to the question of rotation: Historic. Yes, we said. A place to play with our entire Collections. The Collections you said we must have. So how will it work?

It will be more expensive, they said. To discourage you from playing it over Standard, they said. But what about our Collections, we cried? Where shall we use them if no one can afford Historic?

And Wizards was silent, because they knew they were breaking their Promise. Hoping we would not remember that they Promised our cards would hold Value and we would not want to turn them to Dust. Hoping we would not realize that this means that the New Cards they are offering us are ultimately worthless as well. Hoping we would not notice that Arena as a whole is worth nothing without the Promise of a need for Collections. Hoping that the new format will die a quiet death in its cradle, smothered by the weight of its costs, and with no one to mourn it.

Wizards, stop this. You cannot teach us the meaning of Value in your game and then fool us into believing that our cards will hold Value with nowhere to play them.

If you won't give us Dust, give us a Living Format. One that people can play not just today, but that can attract new followers in two years or five years or twenty. One with sustainable costs and a thriving playerbase.

source your quotes

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Wizards must have a whole book of ways to get around saying “we want our non-rotating format to cost you a lot of money,” despite it being obvious to us all

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

axeil posted:

source your quotes

Take a wild guess.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Christ almighty when are we getting more spoilers? This thread desperately needs new cards or another non-sex, non-criminal controversy to talk about.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

Christ almighty when are we getting more spoilers? This thread desperately needs new cards or another non-sex, non-criminal controversy to talk about.

Maybe just log out of the forums until Monday

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Lone Goat posted:

Maybe just log out of the forums until Monday

I will never log off

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fadam posted:

We can talk about how bad your posts are

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

We can talk about how bad your posts are

You can try, bitch

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Let's use this precious time to come up with a better thread title

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I don't even know what Historic is lmao. I just want my Eldraine Battle Pass!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Historic is the format where you spend twice as much for your poo poo to get Teferi Time Raveler’d.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They'll just reprint Hero's Downfall and everything is fine

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
MTG:O needs to be shut down so I stop accidentally clicking on MTG:O videos

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

zoux posted:

Source your quotes, John Galt

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
You think any of these brawl commanders will be usable in the new standard? I'd love to try to make a mrdu knights deck with some sir gwyns and a couple of colossus hammers and other equipment.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

You think any of these brawl commanders will be usable in the new standard? I'd love to try to make a mrdu knights deck with some sir gwyns and a couple of colossus hammers and other equipment.

They all will.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Waffleopolis posted:

The Bant commander probably has the best shot, especially if you want to combine him with field of the dead and possibly Golos

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If the equip Knight is good, it probably won't be because of Hammer.

What was the last standard-prominent equipment?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Huxley posted:

If the equip Knight is good, it probably won't be because of Hammer.

What was the last standard-prominent equipment?

caw caw

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Sword of Red and White.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Working on 9 years, then.

I took a break starting with Theros and didn't want to just declare Feast and Famine was it, but I'm not surprised.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
There's not a lot of equipment that will survive rotation atm. Hopefully we'll see more because we haven't seen Eldraine's version of Excalibur yet. Hopefully it's good enough to fit in Syr Gwyn

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

There's not a lot of equipment that will survive rotation atm. Hopefully we'll see more because we haven't seen Eldraine's version of Excalibur yet. Hopefully it's good enough to fit in Syr Gwyn

there was that art of some lady in a pond about to hand out a sword, maybe a new take on stoneforged mystic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
SFM was unbanned to be reprinted in TOE