Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Transporters blessed the universe with a second, even hornier Riker, so they're alright in my book.

Presumably he had the same contempt for sotting down like everyone else

(And yes I know why he did that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Coucho Marx posted:

Well, there was that one time where it went rather less well.

What they got back didn't live long. Fortunately.

There was another notable incident, but it was resolved fairly quickly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etY7kbRRQ_c

I never really cared about Star Trek, but isn't it canon that transporters create a perfect, 1:1 replica of the person, killing the original or was that just a fan theory?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

OutOfPrint posted:

There was another notable incident, but it was resolved fairly quickly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etY7kbRRQ_c

I never really cared about Star Trek, but isn't it canon that transporters create a perfect, 1:1 replica of the person, killing the original or was that just a fan theory?

There probably isn't canon, but that's basically your only option.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

OutOfPrint posted:

People are shown to be conscious through the entire thing.

But they're space magic that works however the episode needs them to work.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Scotty spent 70 years trapped as atoms between TOS and when they found him in TNG. That must have been hell.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The 1:1 replica is just an interesting question on the nature of life. If your original conscience is replaced by an exact replica are you truly dead or alive. And if you figured out that terrible secret, but only after you’d teleported a dozen times, what does that mean for the 13th iteration of your conscience being. At what point do you just say, “gently caress it, teleporting is still a quicker way to travel and I’m not going to know the difference anyway.”

It’d be better if each new subatomic reconstruction was slightly worse than the prior one. Sisko got all the crawfish he ever wanted, but now he cleans the space station instead of running it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Scotty spent 70 years trapped as atoms between TOS and when they found him in TNG. That must have been hell.

It's longer than you think, Dad! It's longer than you think!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ArcMage posted:

There probably isn't canon, but that's basically your only option.

I read a short sci-fi story (can't remember the author) that was based on this concept: you strapped them into the machine, hit the button and they were duplicated at the destination. Then, when you received a confirmation of a successful transmission, the machine vaporised the original person. If the send failed, they had to wait in the machine until you hit 'resend'

The story was based on the ethics of what happens if the machine gets an incorrect 'failure to receive' response and the person gets out the machine. Then you have 2 copies of the same person. Is Scotty now morally obliged to hit one of them on the head with a space-spanner?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
That's basically the plot of The Prestige.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

hyperhazard posted:

That's basically the plot of Multiplicity.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mad Hamish posted:

It's longer than you think, Dad! It's longer than you think!

a good savvy engineer like scotty either liquored himself up or napped during teleport :v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OutOfPrint posted:

That's actually an overall discussion not specific to Star Trek but about teleportation in general. It gets into metaphysical stuff like does the soul exist or not and what happens to it when you teleport. It gets into really base life stuff as well; like just what the gently caress even is a human? Is it just a random ape-shaped collection of fundamental particles that exists for what amounts to no time at all or is it the vessel for the soul?

Star Trek dealt with that in TNG by talking about stuff like consciousness streams and staying kind of conscious when in the beam. Plus...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People are shown to be conscious through the entire thing.

But they're space magic that works however the episode needs them to work.

This is actually one of the differences between Star Trek and Star Wars; Star Trek did a lot of :techno: to try to explain how things worked and why things were the way they were. Star Wars just goes "it's magic I ain't gotta explain poo poo." There's space wizards because space wizards are rad as hell.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Star Wars is straight up fantasy, just with lasers and space magic and stuff. It's not really sci-fi at all (this isn't a criticism)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's so difficult to compare Star Wars and Star Trek technological levels. There's that YouTube parody showing the Enterprise tech kicking Star Destroyer asses, but a snot-nosed podracing twat built a robot that the Federation's brightest minds barely have the resources to construct.

You'd think the process of deconstructing and reconstructing a person during teleportation would be a good time to check for any deviations or problems. Just keep a supply of medical grade atoms that you can add to the transmission. Don't worry about that birth defect, we'll fix it in post-production.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Star trek is fantasy by the same criteria, spock is a wizard with magic powers

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
True enough but it at least gestures towards traditional sci-fi questions and themes

There'll never be a Star Wars version of Measure of a Man or something

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I forget? Is Q a wizard?

Star Trek even has their Anakin in the form of Wesley Crusher.

Battlestar Galactica is better. They at least explain it with religion.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Q is Q. He and his kind exist beyond reality, so they can manipulate it like we manipulate action figures in a playset.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Krispy Wafer posted:

You'd think the process of deconstructing and reconstructing a person during teleportation would be a good time to check for any deviations or problems. Just keep a supply of medical grade atoms that you can add to the transmission. Don't worry about that birth defect, we'll fix it in post-production.

Transporters have that kind of thing, they just don't work most of the time for plot reasons.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

True enough but it at least gestures towards traditional sci-fi questions and themes

There'll never be a Star Wars version of Measure of a Man or something

There probably is somewhere in the EU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Transporters have that kind of thing, they just don't work most of the time for plot reasons.
The bigger issue is that a lot of genetic manipulation in Trek is kind of verbotten because of Khan and the Eugenics Wars.

So that's why it's not a matter of "Put Picard through the telebuffer and just insert non-Iruomote Syndrome brain particles into the stream" to fix 99% of diseases.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's so difficult to compare Star Wars and Star Trek technological levels. There's that YouTube parody showing the Enterprise tech kicking Star Destroyer asses, but a snot-nosed podracing twat built a robot that the Federation's brightest minds barely have the resources to construct.

I don't know if we're thinking of the same video but there's one floating around where the Enterprise meets a Star Destroyer and nothing the Destroyer throws gets past the Enterprise's shields so Vader just Force-chokes them all to death.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

duck trucker posted:

I don't know if we're thinking of the same video but there's one floating around where the Enterprise meets a Star Destroyer and nothing the Destroyer throws gets past the Enterprise's shields so Vader just Force-chokes them all to death.

That would take days, as well as not work on Data. Doesn't it also require line-of-sight?

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vader choked some one through a video screen once. If he knows where you are, he can presumably choke you.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If Vader is in that mirror funhouse from the second John Wick movie, does he have to pick Wick out or can he just pinch his fingers at a reflection?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Vader choked some one through a video screen once. If he knows where you are, he can presumably choke you.

He can't actually choke anyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jdQqjcsfC8

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Why doesn't he just sit around all day choking all known Rebels? He could wipe out the Rebellion over a long weekend.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Beachcomber posted:

That would take days, as well as not work on Data. Doesn't it also require line-of-sight?

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

marshmallow creep posted:

Both ships were talking to each other on-screen. :viggo:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

New Leaf posted:

Why doesn't he just sit around all day choking all known Rebels? He could wipe out the Rebellion over a long weekend.

No one in the rebellion will answer his calls.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

I forget? Is Q a wizard?

The Q are comparable to gods, really. They're nearly omnipotent and can just change things like the gravitational constant whenever they feel like it. as to what they actually are human minds can't really comprehend it. What you see in Q when he shows up is a renegade Q that started actually paying attention which Q weren't supposed to do. What you see is Q picking a form that people would understand. It's more of a projection of a god-like being than anything. As to just what they are and how they work it's never really explained. They're just...the Q. What they do isn't really magic in that it works within the mechanical constraints of the universe. It just looks like magic because it involves forces humanity can't understand. They can't actually violate the laws of physics but they can actually change what those laws are. They rarely bother as they've already seen every possible permutation anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Q are comparable to gods, really. They're nearly omnipotent and can just change things like the gravitational constant whenever they feel like it. as to what they actually are human minds can't really comprehend it. What you see in Q when he shows up is a renegade Q that started actually paying attention which Q weren't supposed to do. What you see is Q picking a form that people would understand. It's more of a projection of a god-like being than anything. As to just what they are and how they work it's never really explained. They're just...the Q. What they do isn't really magic in that it works within the mechanical constraints of the universe. It just looks like magic because it involves forces humanity can't understand. They can't actually violate the laws of physics but they can actually change what those laws are. They rarely bother as they've already seen every possible permutation anyway.

for a second I got confused and thought this was the /pol/ meme Q and it made complete sense.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Was it ever explained what history Guinan and Q had with each other, and why Q was tiptoeing around her?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I thought the implication was Guinan was another different higher dimensional being

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Scaramouche posted:

I thought the implication was Guinan was another different higher dimensional being

No, Guinan was a refugee from a long-lived race that got mostly annihilated by the Borg. Her main deal is being wise because of being like a thousand years old or something. My memory is kinda fuzzy but I definitely remember the Borg thing since it comes up in the episode where Q and the Borg are introduced.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Guinan has some kind of power, she throws her hands up like she's about to put a hex on Q at one point. I always wondered what she was going to do with that

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
El Aurians also seem to be perceptive to how reality works in general - Guinan notes the changes to the timeline in Yesterday’s Enterprise, and could communicate through the Nexus to Picard in Generations.

They may also possess some level of empathic or telepathic skill - Soran’s barb to Picard in Generations of “Time is the fire in which we burn” seems especially sharp since Picard’s brother and his family had just died in a house fire. An El Aurian also showed up as a con man on DS9, aides by a device that he had acquired that could manipulate probability.

Both skills would probably make the Q a little wary, since the El Aurians would be particularly good at seeing through their bullshit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
And in "Yesterday's Enterprise" she knew that something was off, then deduced they were in an alternate timeline and that Tasha Yar is dead in the normal timeline.

Edit: ^ ^ ^ drat it! Beaten by a hair, but what he said. ^ ^ ^

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

Star trek is fantasy by the same criteria, spock is a wizard with magic powers

Someone post the TAS gif

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

DrBouvenstein posted:

And in "Yesterday's Enterprise" she knew that something was off, then deduced they were in an alternate timeline and that Tasha Yar is dead in the normal timeline.

I wake up in 2019 and look at the news and I know something is off, but that doesn't mean I have super powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Was it ever explained what history Guinan and Q had with each other, and why Q was tiptoeing around her?

Not really. Guinan herself was left mostly mysterious and the race she came from is mostly dead because the Borg happened to them. For the most part they fit the stereotype of ancient people who had seen this poo poo before and knew how it would play out. This is why the matronly old bartender character worked so well; she was content to live a relatively simple life but if you heard her talk for like five seconds you'd realize that she was wicked smart, absurdly wise, and would give you best advice you've ever heard in like five words.

As to what transpired between the two that never really does get explained; raising her hands might have been a totally empty thread. Maybe she knew something or had some behind the scenes strings she could pull to gently caress with Q. It's entirely possible that El-Aurians did have powers they never let on to that even the Q respected. Granted it's also possible that their history included the other Q telling Q not to mess with her/her race so she knew there was nothing he could actually do to her without pissing off every other Q in the process.

It worked as a great little storytelling moment as it became very clear very fast that the Enterprise crew was dealing with ancient things centuries older than the Federation. That poo poo dated back to before humanity could even go to the moon let alone leave the solar system.