Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

gently caress the Yankees is true, but also gently caress the Red Sox, as demonstrated by this Twins Fact™

Twins Fact™: Don't run on Eddie Rosario you dimwits

https://cuts.diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2019/2019-09/05/bbbb797b-530ac9d1-565caaf1-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_4000K.mp4

Thank you for subscribing to Twins Facts™

As a sox fan living in the twin cities I was actively rooting for the Twins there. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Brian Moran (Marlins) in his Major League debut faced his brother Colin Moran (Pirates) and struck him out.

https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-moran-brothers-face-off

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

gently caress the Yankees is true, but also gently caress the Red Sox, as demonstrated by this Twins Fact™

Twins Fact™: Don't run on Eddie Rosario you dimwits

https://cuts.diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2019/2019-09/05/bbbb797b-530ac9d1-565caaf1-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_4000K.mp4

Thank you for subscribing to Twins Facts™

The rare reverse walk off

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Joe West was nearly immobile during last nights game. Like he didn't have the energy, or worse, the ability to move well. He can't position himself for calls anymore. It was like watching someone call a game while underwater. He's 66. Joined the league in 1976. Had a great career, seen everything, but there doesn't seem to be much more left in his tank.

I don't see him coming back next season. He shouldn't come back next season. Regardless of his flaky zone, his terrible calls, it's a career to be celebrated. By someone. But it should be over.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
"Had a great career"

I guess that's true from the job side of it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

"Had a great career"

I guess that's true from the job longevity side of it

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Joe West is just a compiler

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So why, exactly, are MLB umpires accountable to no one no matter how obviously and quantitatively terrible they are

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/1169718590108573696

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not sure that counts as breaking anymore, popes toes

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zoux posted:

So why, exactly, are MLB umpires accountable to no one no matter how obviously and quantitatively terrible they are

They're basically cops.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

Brian Moran (Marlins) in his Major League debut faced his brother Colin Moran (Pirates) and struck him out.

https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-moran-brothers-face-off

Get a brain, morans

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

They have a very strong union and represent a fairly small labor pool. From what I understand umpires are graded behind the scenes and there is some incentive to do well as it plays into who gets on post season umpiring crews, but it doesn't sound like there's any form of relegation or discipline for being particularly awful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

They have a very strong union and represent a fairly small labor pool. From what I understand umpires are graded behind the scenes and there is some incentive to do well as it plays into who gets on post season umpiring crews, but it doesn't sound like there's any form of relegation or discipline for being particularly awful.

Call the dang Pinkertons!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Robo umps won't change anything because the home plate ump has final discretion and you know Cowboy Joe is going to override as many close calls as possible

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Austin Riley is back up tonight specifically for another righty bat against Corbin. I guess the hope is everyone just forgot the book on him in the meantime?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tonight is Framber Valdez vs TBD

Put all your cash on TBD

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He can't have a worse day than Miley

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tadashi posted:

I would love for anyone trying to poo poo on her articles to write enough articles per week (or w/e the pace is) that get enough clicks to keep a roof over their heads. Writing about baseball for 8 months a year must be loving brutal, thankless, and pays poo poo for taking up so much of your time. I mean this is a dumb hill to die on but I'm surprised good baseball writers aren't constantly thinking themselves out of the logical plain of existence more often.

But if you think about it, if you write all those articles and don't get paid enough to keep a roof over your head, your articles are more valuable.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure that counts as breaking anymore, popes toes

I guess that happened when the county took a backhoe to my internet.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joe West's calls may be terrible but have you considered he makes a lot of them?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Joe West's calls may be terrible but have you considered he makes a lot of them?

I would love for anyone trying to poo poo on his calls to get enough pitches per week (or w/e the pace is) that get enough blown calls to keep a roof over their heads.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I am reasonably certain that with like a one day crash course in training I could call balls and strikes as well as Joe West and Angel Hernandez

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

I would love for anyone trying to poo poo on his calls to get enough pitches per week (or w/e the pace is) that get enough blown calls to keep a roof over their heads.

I can’t quite parse this sentence, but if I’m understanding it correctly it’s saying that because we aren’t umps we can’t poo poo on bad umpires. I’d say that’s a Bad Take, but I can’t really judge since I’ve never had a good post.

Also, having never played baseball I am now disqualified from criticizing any MLB players’ performances. Congratulations, 2019 Detroit Tigers! You are flawless!

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 6, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I am reasonably certain that with like a one day crash course in training I could call balls and strikes as well as Joe West and Angel Hernandez

https://www.milbumpireacademy.com/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

I can’t quite parse this sentence, but if I’m understanding it correctly it’s saying that because we aren’t umps we can’t poo poo on bad umpires. I’d say that’s a Bad Take, but I can’t really judge since I’ve never had a good post.

Also, having never played baseball I am now disqualified from criticizing any MLB players’ performances. Congratulations, 2019 Detroit Tigers! You are flawless!

I just reworded somebody's defense of the Molly Knight article. I figured it was a reach.

(You're right about the underlying logic though, and why it's dumb.)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you know it is more difficult statistically to become an MLB umpire than it is a player

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's because players get released when they're terrible

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

This is :discourse:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intruder posted:

That's because players get released when they're terrible

:iceburn:

(and 100% correct)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I wish I could be as bad at my job as Joe West, Angel Hernandez, CB Bucknor are at theirs and have absolutely no fear of repercussions whatsoever.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
join a union

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Work public sector

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Work public sector

Can confirm.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Dolphins would probably make good umps. They have excellent vision both under and above water. Then for a strikeout the dolphin ump could do a flip or something. I just think that would be cooler than what we have now.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

This professional sports union that represents like 80 people making an average of $200K a year sucks, therefore all unions are bad. :hmmyes:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tom Gorman posted:

Dolphins would probably make good umps. They have excellent vision both under and above water. Then for a strikeout the dolphin ump could do a flip or something. I just think that would be cooler than what we have now.

All robo umps are now the Marlins Dinger Machine with the Marlins replaced by dolphins.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Work public sector
GND jobs guarantee plz

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

This professional sports union that represents like 80 people making an average of $200K a year sucks, therefore all unions are bad. :hmmyes:

Unfortunately that's probably what most people think, yes. :(

Hell even taking the umpires union into account the good of unions and their ability to shift some of the overwhelming power advantage that employers naturally hold back to employees is worth every ounce of the bad side of unions and then some. Part of my job is banging my head against four different unions to get things done and yeah sometimes it's loving insufferable how incompetent and insubordinate people can be because they know the union will get them off the hook for any consequences, but the alternative is a right to work hellscape where wages are even more stagnant and the average person has even less job security.

Anyway sorry I know this isn't D&D but wanted to make sure I'm clear my take wasn't meant to be anti-union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ned Colletti has been hired as a scout... for the San Jose Sharks

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1170023841814515714?s=21