Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Eraflure posted:

Figured I'd make use of his 12 cards by playing race to the grave+rising momentum on the same guy thanks to inescapable fate. The +2 dmg doom just constantly reapplies itself on another enemy nearby and my sun is more than happy to pull the entire map on herself, so I'm not really worried about rising momentum's range. I just want to double down on his amazing single target damage since that's what we need in this team.
Problem is, rising momentum + expose + 2 dooms means two entire turns of setup. But again we have a sun and a music note, so it's not like we're accomplishing a lot on round 1.
Beside the obvious lack of AoE, I can't say the character feels gimped at level 5. He kills people just fine.

Interesting. Let me know how that works for you. I'm too lazy for all that setup :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Angry Face

So the reason I like Darkened Skies so much is because Angry Face is already 100% focused on single target. You don't have to build him around single target because that's literally the only thing he does. Using it gives you an answer to those massive rooms full of enemies, even better when it's room 1 of the scenario and you can delete 80% of it in a single action.

The Rising Momentum combo is not really increasing your single target, it's creating a weaker, extremely situational AoE. Race to the Grave is good but it's not so much better than all your other dooms that you'd use that combo to enable it. Maybe if Doomstalker had better bottom actions to fill in for the fact that you won't need to doom as often but... it doesn't. The one time it can actually do work is with Detonation or Darkened Skies bottom half, turning it into a potentially room clearing aoe chain.

Also you can't even use it till level 8 so you've got a lot of levels of dead cards.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Per Marcel, the GH2 Kickstarter will be launched this winter.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

what? I am not ready for this at all

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Well if the kickstarter is starting this winter it's unlikely that the game will actually ship before 2021 unless it's already largely finished. You've got some time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

dwarf74 posted:

He's also referred to it as the big box expansion.

Standalone expansion maybe?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A while ago, I remember reading a post by Isaac saying he intended for the big box expansion to focus on a different part of the world than the city of Gloomhaven and intended it to have different classes.

So it might be standalone.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cinara posted:

Angry Face

So the reason I like Darkened Skies so much is because Angry Face is already 100% focused on single target. You don't have to build him around single target because that's literally the only thing he does. Using it gives you an answer to those massive rooms full of enemies, even better when it's room 1 of the scenario and you can delete 80% of it in a single action.

The Rising Momentum combo is not really increasing your single target, it's creating a weaker, extremely situational AoE. Race to the Grave is good but it's not so much better than all your other dooms that you'd use that combo to enable it. Maybe if Doomstalker had better bottom actions to fill in for the fact that you won't need to doom as often but... it doesn't. The one time it can actually do work is with Detonation or Darkened Skies bottom half, turning it into a potentially room clearing aoe chain.

Also you can't even use it till level 8 so you've got a lot of levels of dead cards.

Angry Face: Yep. I when I hit level 9 I ended up with both level 8 cards and didn't use Rising Momentum much. Sometimes on scenarios with a lot of enemies but I pretty much stuck to deleting the biggest threat in the room every turn.

+2 doom and attack, then if it was still alive, next turn +3 attack against doomed enemies and either Press the Attack or Swift Trickery.

I added +1 attack to the top of Press the Attack so with Expose up that second attack I described is 11 with advantage lol.

The Doomstalker is insane.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hauki posted:

what? I am not ready for this at all
You probably have at least 18 months. :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

dwarf74 posted:

Will my kids be old enough to let us not be super exhausted all the time so we don't play games in the evening anymore? In 18 months?

:argh:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

frankly, at that rate we've been working through the campaign lately this may not be enough time

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Will my kids be old enough to let us not be super exhausted all the time so we don't play games in the evening anymore? In 18 months?

Remember, you can lose a card from your hand instead of taking damage so you don’t get exhausted as easily.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

Oh my friend, mine are 8 and 9, and... Well...

Bodanarko posted:

Remember, you can lose a card from your hand instead of taking damage so you don’t get exhausted as easily.
:perfect:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bodanarko posted:

Ex-loving-actly

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Oh my friend, mine are 8 and 9, and... Well...

:perfect:

Yeah I know I'm not actually expecting it to get better. We are using reusable sticker paper so we can start a new campaign with the kids once they're old enough, though!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My stickers are NEVER coming off. We earned the gently caress out of those and I want New Game+ to be hilarious broken silly fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

My stickers are NEVER coming off. We earned the gently caress out of those and I want New Game+ to be hilarious broken silly fun.

I mean we can still just keep them on and our kids can start with insane spells, that's cool too!

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I’m a dumb child and these metal coins have enriched our Gloomhaven experience for a very cheap buy-in: Widow's Mite Coins Reproduction Antique Bronze Bags of 50

They are a couple mm smaller than the gloomhaven coins and they are ambiguous enough that they fit in really well.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
What enhancements are people doing for diviner? I started with bless on the bottom of peer into battle because lol at three blessings at infinite range (not counting pets) but now I need more ideas.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Bodanarko posted:

I’m a dumb child and these metal coins have enriched our Gloomhaven experience for a very cheap buy-in: Widow's Mite Coins Reproduction Antique Bronze Bags of 50

They are a couple mm smaller than the gloomhaven coins and they are ambiguous enough that they fit in really well.

we got a bunch of plastic gems and its made the group even more loot-happy. They're nice and big, pretty much the perfect size for gloomhaven hexes.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Cephalofair will be selling their own metal loot tokens later this year. I saw them at Gen Con and they look nice. I'm waiting for those.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

We've been using coins from Dominion's Seaside expansion.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We've been using coins from Dominion's Seaside expansion.

I hadn't thought of that. I'm stealing this idea.

Played my first scenario with 3 Spears on Monday and the most hilarious part of it was that I ended the scenario with no cards lost. I guess except for technically Reinforced Steel being active. But I never rested and never took a hit big enough to warrant losing a card.

I should have counted how many times I played Catastrophic Bomb because it was a lot
. Between that and our Diviner who just hit level 9 and was exploding rifts all over the place we easily laid waste to everything and strolled right through the scenario. I'm definitely suggesting that we up the difficulty next time.

Our other party members are Music Note and Saw so yeah you might say there's some synergy going on.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
We use the metal coins from Raiders of the North Sea; they work pretty well (except when things need to stand on them, but we usually resolve that by just looting them as often as possible!)

Elephant Ambush posted:

I hadn't thought of that. I'm stealing this idea.

Played my first scenario with 3 Spears on Monday and the most hilarious part of it was that I ended the scenario with no cards lost. I guess except for technically Reinforced Steel being active. But I never rested and never took a hit big enough to warrant losing a card.

I should have counted how many times I played Catastrophic Bomb because it was a lot
. Between that and our Diviner who just hit level 9 and was exploding rifts all over the place we easily laid waste to everything and strolled right through the scenario. I'm definitely suggesting that we up the difficulty next time.

Our other party members are Music Note and Saw so yeah you might say there's some synergy going on.

We usually play on difficulty 6 since it feels like a decent balance of risk vs reward. This past weekend one of our players was absent so we ran some casual scenarios on 7 to try it out. It was a bit stressful, but fun! Might give that a go as we push towards the end of Forgotten Circles.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Unlocked the spears class today and what the gently caress

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Eraflure posted:

Unlocked the spears class today and what the gently caress

Yep

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Playing at level 3, Three Spears seems merely very good and not broken. The infinite turns combo seems kind of bad during the course of normal gameplay but your endurance is just nuts if you decide to use those abilities during downtime, at least.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Our group just unlocked Sun last time we played. We've had rotten luck at finishing the personal quests. I retired my tinkerer and opened triforce, and then our mindthief finally managed to retire... and open envelope "X," which was a gently caress of a letdown. Fortunately, the reputation we gained from completing that quest allowed him to get a new class, too!

edited to say something not false

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 6, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Our group just unlocked Sun last time we played. We've had rotten luck at finishing the personal quests. I retired my tinkerer and opened triforce, and then our mindthief finally managed to retire... and open envelope "B," which was a gently caress of a letdown. Fortunately, the reputation we gained from completing that quest allowed him to get a new class, too!

You mean envelope X, or that you opened envelope B around the same time?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You mean envelope X, or that you opened envelope B around the same time?

I'm forgetting the exact letter on the envelope I guess. I could have sworn it was B, but I did some googling and I think it was X.

The mindthief's personal quest was a vengeance thing which ended with a special mission, after which we opened an envelope that just contained a coded message that didn't really point us to anything else - "our name has 10 letters" - and we found that a bit of a letdown.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, that's X.

People have views on it. Lots of strong views.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Envelope X is

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The worst part of Gloomhaven and terrible design.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m very excited to see what’s in envelope x now!!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CommonShore posted:

I'm forgetting the exact letter on the envelope I guess. I could have sworn it was B, but I did some googling and I think it was X.

The mindthief's personal quest was a vengeance thing which ended with a special mission, after which we opened an envelope that just contained a coded message that didn't really point us to anything else - "our name has 10 letters" - and we found that a bit of a letdown.

To give repeatedly gated spoilers so you can decide how much you want to be spoiled. Each spoiled bit gets more specific so anyone can peace out when they are at their desired level of spoiled. The word spoiled has now lost all meaning to me.

Envelope X is a puzzle.

Specifically, it's a really loving bad puzzle

That involves 90's Sierra adventure game levels of pixel-bitching

And also has a typo so it's not really solvable

Finally it's just another class that you had to jump through a lot of hoops to get and now you have to print it out and it doesn't have a mini so it'll look lovely next to everything else.

I'm not a fan of Envelope X and very glad I spoiled it for myself, but you do whatever makes you happiest. PS spoiled spoiled spoiler spoiled.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

This has at least been fixed in later printings (3+? 4+?).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

We recently opened envelope X and I'm glad I read some of the previous spoilers ITT especially because of this part.

The fact that it wasn't corrected in 2nd printing and there's not like big flashing letters everywhere gloomhaven is discussed saying "READ THIS ERRATA AFTER OPENING ENVELOPE X" is infuriating and baffling to me. We were sitting on that clue for 3 months and just kept going "well I guess we might get more info at some point..."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This has at least been fixed in later printings (3+? 4+?).

That's good at least

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Guy A. Person posted:

We recently opened envelope X and I'm glad I read some of the previous spoilers ITT especially because of this part.

The fact that it wasn't corrected in 2nd printing and there's not like big flashing letters everywhere gloomhaven is discussed saying "READ THIS ERRATA AFTER OPENING ENVELOPE X" is infuriating and baffling to me. We were sitting on that clue for 3 months and just kept going "well I guess we might get more info at some point..."

That's good at least

I'm very, very glad I don't really care about spoilers and just googled it. I would not have liked doing it legitimately. People who like that kind of thing, hey, go to god drat town, do what you want. But I wish there was just a big sticker saying "BULLSHIT" on it for the rest of us.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I can't remember if I've said it before but I think part of the problem with Envelope X is a mismatch between expectations and dev intentions. To be clear I'm not blaming people for those expectations, I just think it was meant as a fun bonus thing to do throughout the campaign, and the mystery and significance of the sealed envelope made it out to be something more. If the message had been part-way through a Town Records entry (with some framing text to make it clear that you can keep it on the backburner if you don't care) then it probably would have been better received. The fact it takes the place of an immediate character unlock doesn't help either.

I got spoilt on it (in this thread!) and I'm annoyed because it's the kind of thing I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The biggest part of the bullshit, in my opinion, is that you're expected to see poo poo in game art, but it misleads you how many things you are looking for. When we first translated the riddle, we said "okay so we're looking for nine more letters. . . Hey, here's one right here on Ring of Skulls." So we started looking at art for 30-45 min or so, didn't get very far (we found 1 more I think) and then one of us got bored went online and spoiled themselves. If they hadn't done that, we could easily have kept searching for hours for poo poo that simply wasn't there - only four of them are in art, and one of those was unavailable to us anyway. But we'd probably have found that third one and been even more convinced that we were on the right track.

Long story short, a good puzzle will direct you, perhaps in a subtle way, how to approach it. Envelope X gives you no direction, and then when you stumble across a clue anyway, that becomes the direction you naturally think the puzzle is going. But in actual fact, the puzzle goes three different directions at once. I could easily imagine a group that got one of the other clues first and then never had any idea that they should be searching through art.

Also, it would have been nice, and more respectful of the player's time, if it had managed expectations by letting us know at the beginning that the clues you need are hidden all over the campaign and hence not immediately findable.