Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Let's get our facts straight about The Giant Spider Invasion: Terry is Ev's SISTER, not her daughter. So Kester was spanking his sister-in-law, not his step-daughter, and Ev was hitting on her sister's boyfriend, not her daughter's. This really isn't all that important, but it somehow makes the movie feel even sleazier.

Okay, please proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno where to ask this but why not here.

I recently had my love of old scifi/horror films rekindled. I understand that MST3K did a commentary on The Black Scorpion. Was the film really that bad?

AMC back in the day introduced me to so many great classics like Them! and the Three Stooges. Maybe Black Scorpion isn't quite on their level but it was one of my favorites back then. But maybe it was my youth and the fact I like scorpions. I haven't seen it in over a decade.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno where to ask this but why not here.

I recently had my love of old scifi/horror films rekindled. I understand that MST3K did a commentary on The Black Scorpion. Was the film really that bad?

AMC back in the day introduced me to so many great classics like Them! and the Three Stooges. Maybe Black Scorpion isn't quite on their level but it was one of my favorites back then. But maybe it was my youth and the fact I like scorpions. I haven't seen it in over a decade.

MST3K did more than a few episodes on movies that weren't necessarily *bad*, just sort of cheesy. The most important thing, especially for early episodes of MST3K like Black Scorpion, was how easy it was to get ahold of the rights to use the movie.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

RiffTrax is moving their Drip stuff over to Patreon soon.

Also, they mentioned a Talkin' Driptrax video about the Street Fighter MP3, so I think we might be getting that soon, possibly this week.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
wow, didn't think giant spider invasion could be even more repulsive than the mst version

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Giant Spider Invasion feels like it's trying to be a series of religious parables.

The movie starts with the preacher preaching about damnation; all the people with speaking lines who were killed or injured were portrayed as being questionable at best; heck, even the scientists said that the black hole opened a gateway to hell.

This COULD lend itself to the killed people representing the seven deadly sins, Dan is greedy, Ev is gluttony (excessive alcohol), Cousin Billy is envious, the sheriff is slothful, barkeeper is wrathful. But that leaves lust and pride. The waitress could count for lust but we don't see her death or hear about it. And Terry doesn't seem exceptionally prideful to the level of it being a sin. But maybe that's why she was only injured to an unknowable degree?

I can't help but wonder if the waitresses death was cut for time or for budget reasons. Or if the screenwriter just got lazy and decided to stop at five or six deadly sins.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

do you guys know when this will be released on the site? at least a few months, right?

cousin billeh

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Giant Spider Invasion feels like it's trying to be a series of religious parables.

The movie starts with the preacher preaching about damnation; all the people with speaking lines who were killed or injured were portrayed as being questionable at best; heck, even the scientists said that the black hole opened a gateway to hell.

This COULD lend itself to the killed people representing the seven deadly sins, Dan is greedy, Ev is gluttony (excessive alcohol), Cousin Billy is envious, the sheriff is slothful, barkeeper is wrathful. But that leaves lust and pride. The waitress could count for lust but we don't see her death or hear about it. And Terry doesn't seem exceptionally prideful to the level of it being a sin. But maybe that's why she was only injured to an unknowable degree?

I can't help but wonder if the waitresses death was cut for time or for budget reasons. Or if the screenwriter just got lazy and decided to stop at five or six deadly sins.

I certainly did not witness any lust in that film.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The sin of Lust used to be the sin of Prostitution. And the waitress being a hooker feels more comfortable to me than her actually liking Dan.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

do you guys know when this will be released on the site? at least a few months, right?

cousin billeh

Yeah Star Raiders just came out a week or so ago when that one aired in early July (or was it June?), so maybe Octoberish?

Hope it's relatively soon, we weren't able to go see that one here, the two showings happened to coincide with two nights we just could not reschedule things.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

wow, didn't think giant spider invasion could be even more repulsive than the mst version

"Ah, comfortable 2 PM beer buzz...greasy guys carrying unconscious girls...homesick yet, Mike?" :v:

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

cousin billeh

October 15

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Street Fighter

https://www.rifftrax.com/street-fighter

quote:

“Hadouken!” “Shoryuken!” Perhaps the two most iconic special moves from the classic video game Street Fighter II. Will you see or hear either of these moves in Street Fighter, the film adaptation of that game? No! Were 90s kids disappointed by this movie? Very!

Apparently the makers of Street Fighter decided the basic structure of the video game - a fun, colorful martial arts tournament - would NEVER WORK as a movie. Instead, they plugged the game’s characters into a storyline about M. Bison - played by Raul Julia in his final role - trying to take over the world as a military dictator. Who needs karate-fireballs and exciting monsters when you could watch General Bison lay out his plan for a new currency, right kids?

Opposing Bison is Guile, played by JCVD himself, Jean-Claude Van Damme. Guile is the leader of some sort of Allied Nations military group because sure, why not. Joining him is Chun Li, except now she’s a TV news reporter, and E. Honda, who is now a Hawaiian sumo wrestler and part-time news cameraman. Also Ryu and Ken are there, as gun smugglers dispensing lame quips instead of the aforementioned Hadoukens and Shoryukens.

See the movie that had kids everywhere saying “Mommy, is that sickly looking guy really supposed to be Blanka? Can I go sit in the lobby and cry?” Smash a car with a lead pipe in the bonus stage and join Mike, Kevin and Bill for Street Fighter!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Even in Rifftrax format you can feel Raul Julia making the poo poo material hes working with so much better than it should be.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Barudak posted:

Even in Rifftrax format you can feel Raul Julia making the poo poo material hes working with so much better than it should be.

I mean he's literally the only redeeming part of the film (ok, other than the guy who plays Zangief).

I've only seen the film once before as a kid, and I never appreciated, for what was intended to be a Hollywood blockbuster, just how universally terrible the acting was for everyone outside of the antagonists.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

the music and weird sound effects in psychotronic man are actually really interesting. i see why it's a cult film, there's a lot of cool stuff, in general. 🤷🏾‍♂️

it's also a smorgasbord of 70s chicago accents if that's your thing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey, hotshots, I found a restaurant that actually serves the legendary "size".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hey, hotshots, I found a restaurant that actually serves the legendary "size".

How was it? Did you feel you had the energy to go out and fight a bear?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Barudak posted:

How Did This Get Made did an episode about the movie (which led to them having a T-shirt for sale that said "What exactly is a Street Fighter?"), and apparently Raul Julia was in the process of dying during filming, so he would sit there most of the time, and then just kind of switch on and become Bison as soon as it was time to roll camera. I don't think anyone else could've yelled "GAME OVER!" with a straight face, much less with the utter conviction he radiated.

Also a lot of the cast was a bunch of young, new actors who were suddenly in Thailand for filming, which is probably why most of the cast looks so sweaty all the time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

There appears to be something infectiously fun about playing the role of M. Bison. Raul Julia, the guy from the cartoon and the English and Japanese voice actors from the games ham it up so well. Neal McDonough... maybe not so much.

I just discovered that JCVD wanted to get a sequel off the ground in 2003, but they went with the reboot instead. God, I hate you, Legend of Chun-Li. You cheated us out of Dolph Lundgren as Gill!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gavok posted:

There appears to be something infectiously fun about playing the role of M. Bison. Raul Julia, the guy from the cartoon and the English and Japanese voice actors from the games ham it up so well. Neal McDonough... maybe not so much.

I just discovered that JCVD wanted to get a sequel off the ground in 2003, but they went with the reboot instead. God, I hate you, Legend of Chun-Li. You cheated us out of Dolph Lundgren as Gill!

Neal McDonough can ham it up when he's got the right part. He owns as Damien Darhk in Legends of Tomorrow. I didn't appreciate it in Arrow because that show tended to be a little less goofy, but Legends of Tomorrow is all about being dumb and cool.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This was the first time I saw the long cut of street fighter.
On the one hand almost 2 and a half hours are significantly more boring than 90 minutes, but on the other hand:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Barudak posted:

How was it? Did you feel you had the energy to go out and fight a bear?

I can definitely say it was the best size I've ever tasted.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm watching Oblivion right now. The opening shot is of a tumbleweed blowing silently across the desert.

Mike: "Oh look, Bill Maher told a joke." :boom:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

A space western with appearances by George Takei, Julie Newmar and Isaac Hayes! All doing their absolute worst callbacks

The real focus of the movie is obviously the outdoors ceiling fans.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Another Bill posted:

I'm watching Oblivion right now. The opening shot is of a tumbleweed blowing silently across the desert.

Mike: "Oh look, Bill Maher told a joke." :boom:

By my count that makes Mike the only conservative to ever successfully burn Bill Maher.

You think the others would’ve figured it out by now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
New Bridget & Mary Jo riff is up today (my favorite kind of riff).

Also the code WORK for the Labor Day sale says it is applied to the cart, but it doesn't show up in the breakdown. The codes WISCONSIN and SPIDER from the live show definitely still work, though.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

New Bridget & Mary Jo riff is up today (my favorite kind of riff).

Also the code WORK for the Labor Day sale says it is applied to the cart, but it doesn't show up in the breakdown. The codes WISCONSIN and SPIDER from the live show definitely still work, though.

They just don't stack. With WORK alone the new riff comes down to $10.19, while WISCONSIN combined with SPIDER reduces the price to $10.25. I am very intelligent.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ewen Cluney posted:

How Did This Get Made did an episode about the movie (which led to them having a T-shirt for sale that said "What exactly is a Street Fighter?"), and apparently Raul Julia was in the process of dying during filming, so he would sit there most of the time, and then just kind of switch on and become Bison as soon as it was time to roll camera. I don't think anyone else could've yelled "GAME OVER!" with a straight face, much less with the utter conviction he radiated.
He took the role because the production company offered him a pretty large amount of money, and he wanted to make sure his family would be taken care of after he died.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

He could've just pick up the check and fake it but he still poured every bit of energy he could muster into this stupid stupid role.:patriot:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Evil Mastermind posted:

He took the role because the production company offered him a pretty large amount of money, and he wanted to make sure his family would be taken care of after he died.

I also read that, on top of that, he wanted to end on something that he hoped his kids would enjoy.

By popular demand posted:

He could've just pick up the check and fake it but he still poured every bit of energy he could muster into this stupid stupid role.:patriot:

He was, if nothing else, a professional.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See I’ve heard accounts that he didn’t know he was terminal, just was sick, but did it for his grandkids still.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Regardless he's a class act and that movie is made by him

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Raul, like Tim Curry, never phones it in :colbert:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Raul, like Tim Curry, never phones it in :colbert:

Mom, my nuts?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its really hard to tell in the new Teen Agers movie if Big Jim is really that tall or if every single other character is short as hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also for some reason Roy goes to their school again, although Jimmy is nowhere to be seen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

See I’ve heard accounts that he didn’t know he was terminal, just was sick, but did it for his grandkids still.

My understanding is he was coming off of surgery, possibly for stomach cancer, and then did the filming while recovering which is why he wasnt healthy. After filming and back in america he had a stroke and thats ultimately what killed him.

Basically he took the film for his grandkids but at that point didnt believe his death was imminent nor had any reason to think so.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Also for some reason Roy goes to their school again, although Jimmy is nowhere to be seen.

Barudak posted:

My understanding is he was coming off of surgery, possibly for stomach cancer, and then did the filming while recovering which is why he wasnt healthy. After filming and back in america he had a stroke and thats ultimately what killed him.

Basically he took the film for his grandkids but at that point didnt believe his death was imminent nor had any reason to think so.

These posts back to back make it sound like Jimmy died before Vacation Days was filmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm aware that years of following the various projects would probably leave me attuned to their brand of humor, and I was still caught off-guard.
Watched the Star Raiders Live for the first time, about 5-10 minutes in I commented to my friends that the movie looked like it was made of stitched together FMV sequences from turn of the millennium video games, and later on the guys give me riffback!