Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have been trying to make a Wolf tribal deck work for the last two expansions and am really hoping someone smarter than me can crack it with the new ToE stuff. It should work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ghostfire Blade saw some Standard play

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

CapnAndy posted:

I have been trying to make a Wolf tribal deck work for the last two expansions and am really hoping someone smarter than me can crack it with the new ToE stuff. It should work!

I had okay luck with my Tolmvir deck but yeah, gonna sic big bad wolves on everybody hopefully

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Abzan Wolves can work. Tolsimir followed by the new Garruk can be very powerful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You basically need Nissa to power out all the good wolf stuff and hey, she's Green!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Huxley posted:

What was the last standard-prominent equipment?

Besides the obvious ones (Swords, Batterskull, Jitte, Skullclamp etc.), Basilisk Collar and Runechanter's Pike are the only equipments I can think of that saw any amount of standard play.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Unless the Excalibur card gives haste and generates an overwhelming advantage while having a colossal hammer-esque CMC and equipcost, I don't think Ser Gwyn will be standard playable.

Please subscribe to my news letter for more of my blistering hot takes.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

MOAR posted:

Profile page - you will find a "Pet Selection" ...

That just gives me the option of a winged cat, there's no unwinged cat option!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

CapnAndy posted:

Tolsimir to throw wolves at creatures
Nightpack Ambusher and Arlinn to generate wolves
Vivien's Arkbow to put wolves on the board without casting them (to help ambusher make his wolves)
One drops and two drops should be ramp to be able to get there
Fill the rest of the deck with other wolves
Maybe icon of ancestry to pump and/or find wolves

That's basically my wolf deck and it's super fun, havent yet managed to make it very consistent though

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 6, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Besides the obvious ones (Swords, Batterskull, Jitte, Skullclamp etc.), Basilisk Collar and Runechanter's Pike are the only equipments I can think of that saw any amount of standard play.

Cranial plating saw a ton of play and is still being played. And I think sunforger saw a decent amount of play when it was in standard, but yeah most equipment is pretty fringe.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Looks like if you have Tolsimir out already, you can ready Garruk's emblem with a single use of his 0 ability, then your wolves just eat face for the rest of the game.

I'm looking forward to the new rainbow mana dork that can wash a single green for you even before you actually cast her. I have a home for her in my Naya Feather deck.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bugsy posted:

Cranial plating saw a ton of play and is still being played. And I think sunforger saw a decent amount of play when it was in standard, but yeah most equipment is pretty fringe.

How soon people forget Loxodon Warhammer...

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The decision to have each season dump you down two full divisions is nutters.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PJOmega posted:

should it be more?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Why?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
At the end of every season they should flip everyone like a mirror. Just switch places with the opposite rank. Up and down.

Bronze/Mythic
Silver/Diamond
Gold/Platinum

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

It barely takes any time to get back to where you were.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

what's nutters, what's absolutely mental, is three full one win - one pip tiers before mythic

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kashuno posted:

It barely takes any time to get back to where you were.

After I hit mythic and fell all the way back down to Silver I have not gotten above Gold

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
This would probably be less of issue if getting out of gold wasn't harder than getting out of platinum. Gold is an absolute bloodbath every month with a mix of tier one and almost tier one decks, but the sheer amount of diversity means you can get blind-sided by nonsense jank that just happens to hard counter your deck and drop rank or end up facing tier one decks piloted by good players that just don't have the time to grind. Last season it took me a week and a half to get from gold 1 to plat 4, but only three days to get from plat to diamond and that's a 'normal' month.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

This would probably be less of issue if getting out of gold wasn't harder than getting out of platinum. Gold is an absolute bloodbath every month with a mix of tier one and almost tier one decks, but the sheer amount of diversity means you can get blind-sided by nonsense jank that just happens to hard counter your deck and drop rank or end up facing tier one decks piloted by good players that just don't have the time to grind. Last season it took me a week and a half to get from gold 1 to plat 4, but only three days to get from plat to diamond and that's a 'normal' month.

play best of 3

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There should be a feature that if you submit an esper control deck the game just kills you IRL.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

play best of 3

This was bo3. I can't imagine doing this in Bo1.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok I'm probably late to the party here but I'ma bitch about the Syr Gwyn deck for a bit.
(disclaimer: I'm probably making it out to be a little worse than it actually is)

That deck is SO frustrating to play against the other decks.
Making an equipment based commander then giving the precon nothing but poo poo equipment is intensely galling.
Alila is better than that deck at pretty much everything; better card draw, better evasion, can go wider, cheaper commander, can use mace of the valiant better. The only chance Gwyn seems to have is keeping Alila off the battlefield but you need removal to do that and Single Combat ain't cutting it.
The deck has a bunch of go-wide stuff (Smitten swordmaster, mace of the valiant, Syr Konrad, Knight's Charge, Gwyn himself) but no way of going wide enough to use them.
Crap evasion. In an equipment deck. No way to give anybody trample that I am aware of, which means once Alila starts making GBS threads out fairies good luck ever doing damage again.
A bunch of small creatures that can't get any bigger because again, the equipment sucks.
Having the most expensive, most board state dependent commander.
It gasses out every game. If you can get card draw with Gwyn going you were probably winning anyway.

I'm not saying the deck is hopeless or completely outclassed, but I always feel like I'm the underdog in every game I play with that deck. The deck can come out strong and smash Culainne which is pretty great. And colossus hammer with 0 equip is a fun trick.
Although this is partly coming from me being frustrated that WotC seem to be allergic to putting good equipment in standard. Like they go to a trauma survivors group every Thursday and talk about nothing but Caw-Blade.
And there is going to be very little room to improve upon it since the one set that had the support for it is rotating (having blackblade reforged, sigiled sword of valeron, helm of the host, Aryel in the deck would have been nice). Ravnica block is a desolate wasteland IRT fixing that deck in the slightest. Sure there could be more support in TOE, but I doubt it. Since if there was better equipment in the set why isn't any of it in the deck?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 7, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Maro apparently confirmed there are no rare duals in throne. Apparently a cycle of rare lands, and no word on other uncommon goofy trilands like the tournament land.

ChrisBTY posted:

Since if there was better equipment in the set why isn't any of it in the deck?
Rares they expect to move packs?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It would have to be a hell of an equipment in that case.
But the idea that Mace of the Valiant is their idea of a rare equipment in this set isn't filling me with hope.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Maro apparently confirmed there are no rare duals in throne. Apparently a cycle of rare lands, and no word on other uncommon goofy trilands like the tournament land.
Rares they expect to move packs?

Has there ever been a set without rare dual lands? That's a bold thing to do.

Maybe they're just trying to get us hyped up for the OG duals getting removed from the reserved list and printed at ultra mythic legendary rare status.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

It would have to be a hell of an equipment in that case.
But the idea that Mace of the Valiant is their idea of a rare equipment in this set isn't filling me with hope.

Steelclaw Lance is the only actual real card in the deck and it was obvious when playing it how much better it is than the other pieces of poo poo. I wouldn't worry? Like nothing in these decks is meant for standard and the rarity is hyper triple meaningless.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A cycle of rare lands, but they're not duals?

Trilands perhaps? Could be mono lands with unique abilities, but that seems to overlap with the common cycle a lot.

Comedy option: fetches technically aren't duals

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's an uncommon triland already spoiled though I guess they could do that? Kinda think he means a cycle of legendary rare lands, it's been a little while on that. I think? Or maybe just ISD style.

I'm gonna be making angry posts about not reprinting filters for years to come. Grand.

axeil posted:

You mean a big fall set, I assume?

Mirage has uncommon fetch lands, no duals.
Tempest does have rare duals though most people won't remember them
Urza's saga has a cycle of rare single color lands.
Masques is a dumpster fire.
Invasion doesn't, in spite of being a multicolor set. R&D back then had weird issues.
Odyssey does, filters.
Mirrodin doesn't.
Champs doesn't.
OG Rav does.
Time Spiral has uncommon ones (a lot of sets have meh uncommon cycles)
Lorwyn has a tribal cycle
Shards doesn't.

I think every set does since then. Has been a while without though, yeah.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

kater posted:

Steelclaw Lance is the only actual real card in the deck and it was obvious when playing it how much better it is than the other pieces of poo poo. I wouldn't worry? Like nothing in these decks is meant for standard and the rarity is hyper triple meaningless.

Despite its problems the Mace has put in the most work for me but I won't disparage the Lance comparably.
But that's just it; when your best tool is a lateral move from Vulshok Morningstar things will probably not go well for you.
Also I would argue that never mind standard; none of those equipment are meant for brawl, it's all draft fodder.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 7, 2019

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The Temples were originally in the Theros block. I imagine they're just going to finish that cycle in the Return to Theros set which comes after Eldraine.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok I'm probably late to the party here but I'ma bitch about the Syr Gwyn deck for a bit.
(disclaimer: I'm probably making it out to be a little worse than it actually is)

That deck is SO frustrating to play against the other decks.
Making an equipment based commander then giving the precon nothing but poo poo equipment is intensely galling.
Alila is better than that deck at pretty much everything; better card draw, better evasion, can go wider, cheaper commander, can use mace of the valiant better. The only chance Gwyn seems to have is keeping Alila off the battlefield but you need removal to do that and Single Combat ain't cutting it.
The deck has a bunch of go-wide stuff (Smitten swordmaster, mace of the valiant, Syr Konrad, Knight's Charge, Gwyn himself) but no way of going wide enough to use them.
Crap evasion. In an equipment deck. No way to give anybody trample that I am aware of, which means once Alila starts making GBS threads out fairies good luck ever doing damage again.
A bunch of small creatures that can't get any bigger because again, the equipment sucks.
Having the most expensive, most board state dependent commander.
It gasses out every game. If you can get card draw with Gwyn going you were probably winning anyway.

I'm not saying the deck is hopeless or completely outclassed, but I always feel like I'm the underdog in every game I play with that deck. The deck can come out strong and smash Culainne which is pretty great. And colossus hammer with 0 equip is a fun trick.
Although this is partly coming from me being frustrated that WotC seem to be allergic to putting good equipment in standard. Like they go to a trauma survivors group every Thursday and talk about nothing but Caw-Blade.
And there is going to be very little room to improve upon it since the one set that had the support for it is rotating (having blackblade reforged, sigiled sword of valeron, helm of the host, Aryel in the deck would have been nice). Ravnica block is a desolate wasteland IRT fixing that deck in the slightest. Sure there could be more support in TOE, but I doubt it. Since if there was better equipment in the set why isn't any of it in the deck?

The sir Gwynn deck is nearly unplayable. 6 cost brawl commander with almost no ramp? Check. Mediocre do nothing cards (2/1 for 2)? Check. Support cards that fit the commander's theme that do almost nothing when everything comes together (all of the equipment)? Check.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the knight deck is easily the worst of the four

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

axeil posted:

Maybe they're just trying to get us hyped up for the OG duals getting removed from the reserved list and printed at ultra mythic legendary rare status.

War of the Spark was a set that didn't have rare duals.

We just got a set of duals in M20 (M19 last year didn't have any).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like the knight that does the same thing as dusk legion zealot but for 4 mana.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

axeil posted:

Literally 5 months ago, yes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only way we’d ever see WotC reprint anything on the reserved list is if they gave us a multiple year heads up. Like in 2020 they announced “were dissolving the reserved list and were gonna reprint duals... starting in 2022” or something. Anything short of that would cause digital rioting and the secondary market would be so annihilated so completely that everything would get way, way worse.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Literally 5 months ago, yes

Oh right :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Are all the built-in tells Arena has good or bad? I don't play counterspells so its not like I've seen them many times, but they just added visuals to check lands this last patch and I unno it seems a bit much. Not that I haven't been not paying attention before and screwed up.