Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Get yourself a side hustle and then write off the whole vacation which is what I plan on doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

So my tele boots blew a buckle last season and while getting ready for the fix I noticed there's a crack forming in the bellows. RIP.

Now I get to answer the worst tele question: re-buy into 75mm ($ - $$ but locked into a dying standard), upgrade everything to NTN ($$$), or return to the light with an AT setup and get to have boots with this-century technology ($$$).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

AT imo but I am not a tele skier.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Spime Wrangler posted:

So my tele boots blew a buckle last season and while getting ready for the fix I noticed there's a crack forming in the bellows. RIP.

Now I get to answer the worst tele question: re-buy into 75mm ($ - $$ but locked into a dying standard), upgrade everything to NTN ($$$), or return to the light with an AT setup and get to have boots with this-century technology ($$$).

sounds like you already know the answer

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Well, they say AT stands for “after tele”

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

ironlung posted:

sounds like you already know the answer

fourth-hand three-pin leather boots it is!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/the-blob-marine-heatwave-bc-coast?fbclid=IwAR3aEPDp3tZmT7QldF8rvHJ5Bz9-acDBW-jemquwg_M2x28tFf2CkjthWMg

Welp, 2015 was a pretty loving horrible season here so here we go again!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tele is good for strength/balance training in the resort but at this point it is strictly inferior for actual touring. AT gear is just as light and more reliable.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Honestly for touring I’m pretty on board for AT, but I’m a quiver-of-one guy for awhile and tele is rad inbounds. Been finding I mostly don’t drop knee in the backcountry or deep powder, but it’s way fun carving around. Also my day to day is patrolling 400ft of vert and you gotta keep it interesting somehow.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I used to tele, and now ski kingpins inbounds as well as backcountry because I’m too lazy to buy two setups. If you’re not a hard charger it’s fine.

If you p-turn in the backcountry you should absolutely make the switch.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

As usual, sounds like the answer is just get more gear :haw:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Honestly for touring I’m pretty on board for AT, but I’m a quiver-of-one guy for awhile and tele is rad inbounds. Been finding I mostly don’t drop knee in the backcountry or deep powder, but it’s way fun carving around. Also my day to day is patrolling 400ft of vert and you gotta keep it interesting somehow.

Hey now, don't be bad mouthing Mount Ripley!

(Mount Ripley is the reason I ski and snowboard.... Was bored at times and picked skiing back up)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah. my fault. I signed up for a Cypress pass this year. Sorry. (Last time was 2015)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I apologize to you and all other goons in this thread. I am almost certain that my choice to book a trip to Whistler this year has brought this ill tiding.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

Hey now, don't be bad mouthing Mount Ripley!

(Mount Ripley is the reason I ski and snowboard.... Was bored at times and picked skiing back up)

Hey man it's cool - it's my home hill and a big reason I'm here! But when you can only get a couple good turns in per lap you wanna make em count. Quick tele turns in husky bowl make it ski like a much bigger hill.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I apologize to you and all other goons in this thread. I am almost certain that my choice to book a trip to Whistler this year has brought this ill tiding.

To be fair skiing in a raging downpour is the true Whistler Experience, as much as Vail claims otherwise.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You haven't truly skied Whistler until you're facing straight down the fall line in 30cm of powder and standing still because it's so wet.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah I'm definitely waiting to see how the rest of September shapes up before getting a pass...

Judging from the amount of lake time I've already had this month, it's not looking great.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I applied for Amplid's beta testing list last year and figured that I wasn't selected. They just sent out Amplid Test Pilot sticker/patch packs to all the applicants with a note saying they'll select from us as a pool of beta testers as needed. It's unlikely but would be nice to be able to test some experimental shapes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

You haven't truly skied Whistler until you're facing straight down the fall line in 30cm of powder and standing still because it's so wet.

Early on in my 'career' I was at Baker, partly with the intention of getting a cheap advanced lesson (Lessons are much cheaper there). Tons of fresh snow, instructor was stoked when he realized that I wasn't a beginner. Getting off the chair, he goes 'follow me, but not too close', turns into the 'powder' and promptly endos onto his face as the 'powder' is soaking wet. I , as I was following, managed to just miss him and face plant right next to him. Waist high fresh snow and completely unrideable. We knew it wouldn't be ideal, but was not expecting it to be that bad!!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have a boot question here. I have a set of boots (Dalbello Panterra MX90) that I purchased last season to upgrade from a Nordica Cruise 60. The Nordicas are a bit too soft and are oversized so I went to a bootfitter and got the Dalbellos in the correct size. They fit well in the shop. They seem to give a lot more control on the mountain as well. The only problem is that they cause a lot of pain to the top of my foot(The "midfoot" area), right above the arch in my foot. Enough pain that I can't ski more than a few runs in them without taking a break or stopping, and sometimes there is numbness as well. The boot has a few customization options; you can adjust the rear spoiler/cuff and you can also adjust the amount of forward lean/cuff alignment.

Does anyone know if these symptoms tend to be from a common problem, or that if changing any of the options on the boot would improve it? Would trying to adjust the lean to be more forward be my first step?

Edit to say that my measured last is 102 and the boot has a last of 103.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 7, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I honestly feel like demoing boots is more important that demoing skis. You just have no idea how a pair is gonna feel in action.

I'd try taking them to a boot fitter like Surefoot and seeing what they can do. Often they can push out the plastic a little bit to give you more room. I always need that for my small toes when I get new boots.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 7, 2019

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have a boot question here. I have a set of boots (Dalbello Panterra MX90) that I purchased last season to upgrade from a Nordica Cruise 60. The Nordicas are a bit too soft and are oversized so I went to a bootfitter and got the Dalbellos in the correct size. They fit well in the shop. They seem to give a lot more control on the mountain as well. The only problem is that they cause a lot of pain to the top of my foot(The "midfoot" area), right above the arch in my foot. Enough pain that I can't ski more than a few runs in them without taking a break or stopping, and sometimes there is numbness as well. The boot has a few customization options; you can adjust the rear spoiler/cuff and you can also adjust the amount of forward lean/cuff alignment.

Does anyone know if these symptoms tend to be from a common problem, or that if changing any of the options on the boot would improve it? Would trying to adjust the lean to be more forward be my first step?

take them back to the fitter and tell them what is going on. any good one will make adjustments after you purchase for free until they are dialed.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Custom footbeds really helped me and my brokeass right foot. If you bought your boots online but you go to a fitter to get footbeds made for you I’m sure they’ll be happy to work with you until the problem’s solved.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Early on in my 'career' I was at Baker, partly with the intention of getting a cheap advanced lesson (Lessons are much cheaper there). Tons of fresh snow, instructor was stoked when he realized that I wasn't a beginner. Getting off the chair, he goes 'follow me, but not too close', turns into the 'powder' and promptly endos onto his face as the 'powder' is soaking wet. I , as I was following, managed to just miss him and face plant right next to him. Waist high fresh snow and completely unrideable. We knew it wouldn't be ideal, but was not expecting it to be that bad!!

LOL yeah that is basically the most coastal PNW experience you can have. You have to pay a reeeeeeeeeeeally close eye to the freezing levels when we have big powder days.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

fuckin gross =(

i really hope this doesn't kill the ski year in Alaska

in happier news I scored a used pair of Salomon classic skin skis for cheap, really hope there is enough snow to track up the woods on them this year

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Any cool or new snowboard tech/gear this season? Now that transworld is dead idk what to read for new stuff

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Razzled posted:

Any cool or new snowboard tech/gear this season? Now that transworld is dead idk what to read for new stuff

http://ezloungin.com/ezlounge/gear/official-2020-gear-thread-2/

There's plenty there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So i posted in an old thread about my snowboard boots causing me immense pain, numbness and cramping. my boots (burton Fiend, 2015) have Sidas custom insoles, were heat molded, and generally fit well and are comfortable on their own, even done up tight.

when I start riding, I get the pain. So, I dont think its necessarily the boots.

doing some reading on the internet, there was someone with a similar issue that found that some people have important veins running over the top of their foot that get pinched. I suspect im one of those people as I can see all the veins on the top of my foot (im also so white Im near translucent)

Anyway, Im thinking now, its my bindings. I have Burton Cartel ESTs from the same year. Previous to that, I had cartel ESTs from like 2008, and didnt have any issues (though was wearing burton Ruler boots a half size too big because I didnt understand proper fitting)

the 2 key differences in those bindings is that my old ones had 3 different anchor points for the ankle strap and had thicker, "gel" filled ankle straps. The new Cartels dont have any adjustment in the ankle strap and its a flatter, thinner strap.

Actually strapping in and cranking them tight, theres no immediate problem. it only becomes a problem after a few laps, eventually to the point that if I wriggle my toes (which makes my foot flex the boot a bit) gets like a popping sensation in my smaller toes.

I have tried:
- using the burton supplied insoles
- using the Sidas insoles
- using some burton insoles from my old boots, cut to fit
- when putting my boots on, pulling the liner tongue UP rather than pushing it down to better conform to my foot.
- running the lace loops on the mid-foot area thought the tongue loops but not through the rubbery straps on the outside of the boot (which add tension)
- socks of varying thickness
- leaving the bottom of the boot looser (traditional laces, doing the hockey lacing method around the calf)

the best outcome I have had was using the old-boots insoles in my new boots, pulling the tongue of the liner up. Still painful, but not as bad.

I frankly think the Sidas were a scam as there is almost zero cushioning in the heel at all (they are literally a thin sheet of cork reinforced with kevlar) and they take up more room in the boot which hastens the pain, I think. they DO help correct my pronate stance though, which helps my riding a bit.

The guy who did all the vein-research stuff ended up basically cutting a void in to the upper part of his wifes boot liner so that there was no pressure on the veins, but I kind of dont want to ruin the liners because Id like to sell the boots if I need to get new ones (they only have like, 20 days on them)

Beyond ruining them, anyone got any ideas? take my setup to a shop and say 'this is how its set up, this is how it hurts' and seeing if they can help me out?

I have my last weekend on the snow coming up and if My brother wasnt coming with me and using my old board, I'd just use my old bindings to see if the pain occurs again. But alas.

so, what would you do? try new bindings? new boots? or hack up what I have and see how it goes (and then likely need to rush-buy boots to fix it to salvage the rest of my trip)

Snowboarding is like the one activity I truly love and makes me feel so happy when I get to do it that I end up smiling the whole week after, and this foot pain stuff is getting bad to the point that even now, 2 weeks after my last trip I get shooting pains and pins and needles in my foot if I rub it the wrong way, so its obviously having long-term effects on my nerves. I really dont want to get to a point where a doctor tells me I cant do it any more :(

edit: should note its also only on my front foot, not so much the rear, and its weird because I do a lot of my riding from by back foot (bad I know but Im working on that)

highme
May 25, 2001

The easy, yet expensive, solution would be to buy a Burton step-in set up.

With that said, I'd suggest taking a look at some Flux bindings. They have a few different instep strap options that feel like nothing is there but are responsive as gently caress.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Let your both ride your board at the beginning of the day and try your old one. See if it is indeed a binging issue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

highme posted:

The easy, yet expensive, solution would be to buy a Burton step-in set up.

With that said, I'd suggest taking a look at some Flux bindings. They have a few different instep strap options that feel like nothing is there but are responsive as gently caress.

I like the idea of step-in but I am unco-ordinated/inflexible enough that I usually cant strap in standing up. I get that theres no need to strap in with step ins, but its very expensive (and may just have the same problems, or other problems)

Maybe Im just cranking the bindings too tight? how tight SHOULD my bindings be? I like to strap in and do a run, then re-tighten once the forces have wiggled everything a bit loose. I tend to leave my front foot strapped in like that until lunch time and by then I need to take my boots off (and there is definitely some blood circulation issues at play, as it feels like im squeezing a tube of toothpaste when I pull my foot out of the loosened boot)

I have really narrow feet and I really need tight boots/bindings to stop my heel lifting out too much. my Ankles are pretty skinny. maybe wearing an ankle sock over my regular boarding socks would add some girth and help keep it locked in better?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm using ThirtyTwo Lashed boots, and I figured out I should barely be pulling the on the inner liner drawstring or else I'll get pain/numbness on the top of my foot/ankle after the first run. Bindings really don't affect it, it's just the inner boot liner being too tight. Before the Lashed I had JP Walker's boot model from ThirtyTwo, and didn't have any pain problems since it was a much more flexible boot and didn't have such a harsh lock on the ankle. Seems like you just need to try different boots.

highme
May 25, 2001

I loosen up the instep strap of my front foot most chair rides. It doesn't take much more time to tighten both feet and it's much more comfortable on the chair

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would also agree on trying different boots. It sounds like Burtons don't work for you so go to something else.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I get toe numbness in my Burton Rulers but haven't figured it out. Index and middle toe on my right (trailing) foot were numb for like...weeks? before becoming fine all of a sudden one day. I vaguely recall it was during basketball and felt like something ruptured, like whatever happened just broke through the numbness. Except that numbness seemed to switch to my big toe, but that was way after my last boarding day so I might have some other medical issues happening there.

I couldn't figure out any particular pressure points within the boot after trying different ways of seating the tongue or going looser or tighter where I could adjust. Part of me suspects it might have something to do with the upper edge cause I have pretty thick calves, maybe cutting circulation or affecting a nerve leading to the toes from there or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

japtor posted:

I get toe numbness in my Burton Rulers but haven't figured it out. Index and middle toe on my right (trailing) foot were numb for like...weeks? before becoming fine all of a sudden one day. I vaguely recall it was during basketball and felt like something ruptured, like whatever happened just broke through the numbness. Except that numbness seemed to switch to my big toe, but that was way after my last boarding day so I might have some other medical issues happening there.

I couldn't figure out any particular pressure points within the boot after trying different ways of seating the tongue or going looser or tighter where I could adjust. Part of me suspects it might have something to do with the upper edge cause I have pretty thick calves, maybe cutting circulation or affecting a nerve leading to the toes from there or something.

you are probably part of the group of people I am in that has important veins running over a small bone in your foot rather than under.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've decided to get back into skiing regularly. Last time I went was in 2010 or 2011, and up until that it was once every few years at best. Since I got a motorcycle but this awful Toronto weather is starting to turn cold, I want to keep goin' fast in some other capacity. Skis, yes. I'm glad I found this thread.

Thinking about getting a pair of snowblades. I've never really been much for jumps and tricks (but who knows that could change), all I know is that I prefer to ski without poles. Would snowblades be a good option for someone like me? What are some things to consider when buying skis/snowblades, boots, accessories? I've got some dosh to burn so I'd like to get some good gear. Checking out some of the retailers in the OP, but are there any specifically in Canada or preferred by Canadians ITT?

Thanks chums.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

If your goal is to go fast, snowblades are not what you want. If your goal is to be maximally terrified, even if not going that fast, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

I've decided to get back into skiing regularly. Last time I went was in 2010 or 2011, and up until that it was once every few years at best. Since I got a motorcycle but this awful Toronto weather is starting to turn cold, I want to keep goin' fast in some other capacity. Skis, yes. I'm glad I found this thread.

Thinking about getting a pair of snowblades. I've never really been much for jumps and tricks (but who knows that could change), all I know is that I prefer to ski without poles. Would snowblades be a good option for someone like me? What are some things to consider when buying skis/snowblades, boots, accessories? I've got some dosh to burn so I'd like to get some good gear. Checking out some of the retailers in the OP, but are there any specifically in Canada or preferred by Canadians ITT?

Thanks chums.

Skiing without poles is dumb

:can: